On Facebook, 70% of Americans Have a Gay Friend

Jun 25, 2013 Full story: Wall Street Journal 21

Just in time for the Supreme Court rulings on same-sex marriage and gay-pride events across the U.S. this week, the data miners at Facebook ran an analysis on their members.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Building Better Worlds”

Since: May 13

Europa

#1 Jun 25, 2013
Out of the 2% of Americans that are on Facebook.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

#2 Jun 25, 2013
Europa Report wrote:
Since you post no proof of your statements, as usual, I'll take my cue from this article:

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/05/most...

"Facebook is the most popular social network in America roughly two-thirds of adults in the country use it on a regular basis."

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#3 Jun 25, 2013
Europa Report wrote:
I think you might as well knock off the FaFoxy hyperbolic fever dreams you fire up here, like our own little Whackypedia or something. If you don't have something LOGICAL to say, then keep your rantings to yourself.

"Two percent of America on Facebook", indeed. If you had done TWENTY seconds of research like I just did, you'd have read that as of April 2013 sixty nine percent of Americans have Facebook accounts. NINETY FOUR percent of teenagers have Facebook accounts.

Palm Springs, California

#4 Jun 25, 2013
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you post no proof of your statements, as usual, I'll take my cue from this article:
"Facebook is the most popular social network in America roughly two-thirds of adults in the country use it on a regular basis."
Yeah! You tell him, Ralph! Even I have a Facebook account and I HATE stuff like that. I only got it for I need it to get good advertising for my art shows. It actually really works.

“Building Better Worlds”

Europa

#5 Jun 25, 2013
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
just a little humorous hyperbole....... LOL

Palm Springs, California

#6 Jun 25, 2013
Europa Report wrote:
<quoted text>
just a little humorous hyperbole....... LOL
Oh, NOW we get it, you were trying to be ""funny"". It helps when you throw in an LOL so we KNOW when to laugh, like on a bad sitcom where they include a laugh track to tell us when to laugh or not.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

#7 Jun 25, 2013
Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah! You tell him, Ralph! Even I have a Facebook account and I HATE stuff like that. I only got it for I need it to get good advertising for my art shows. It actually really works.
I won't join Facebook. I won't join Linkdedin. I won't twitter. The only Social Media I care for is a good cocktail party.

“Building Better Worlds”

Europa

#9 Jun 25, 2013
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
I won't join Facebook. I won't join Linkdedin. I won't twitter. The only Social Media I care for is a good cocktail party.
Same here. except beer is my choice.

:)

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#10 Jun 25, 2013
Europa Report wrote:
<quoted text>
Same here. except beer is my choice.
:)
Have you tried brewing your own? It's fun.

“Building Better Worlds”

Europa

#11 Jun 25, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
no

beer has been perfected over thousands of years. there's no way I could improve upon it

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#12 Jun 25, 2013
Europa Report wrote:
<quoted text>
no
beer has been perfected over thousands of years. there's no way I could improve upon it
I used to brew.... Back whan Michelobe was the best beer generally available. Now that my local coop has a microbrew section that could keep me sampling the rest of my life, it's really not worth the bother and expense.

Oh, and there's a terrific place near Curtese that has over a hundred beers on tap. Four walls filled with taps stacked up on one another. Looking forward to wintering there in retirement.

“Building Better Worlds”

Europa

#14 Jun 25, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
I used to brew.... Back whan Michelobe was the best beer generally available. Now that my local coop has a microbrew section that could keep me sampling the rest of my life, it's really not worth the bother and expense.
Oh, and there's a terrific place near Curtese that has over a hundred beers on tap. Four walls filled with taps stacked up on one another. Looking forward to wintering there in retirement.
When I bought my house in Patchogue in 1984, there was a general store there called "Shand's" that was open continuously for about 140 years.(I still have a cast-iron doorstop I bought at Shand's teh first week I lived there) It was the oldest building in Patchogue. About 10 years later, they closed, and a microbrewery opened up in it's place that I used to go to called "The Brickhouse Brewery". www.brickhousebrewery.com

Fine Beer. Good food.:) a few blocks from my house. same building. probably about 170 years old now. there are images of it on the web.

they're still there and apparently very successful.

The Blue Point Brewery is also a microbrewry just a short distance from there also.(World-famous Blue Point Oysters come from Blue Point, LI, NY)

Palm Springs, California

#15 Jun 25, 2013
Buck Wheat wrote:
<quoted text> Please post the link to your Facebook page :-)
Not here. If you were registered and able to private message, maybe, but not on this wide open site. I might as well write my name and phone number on the bus station wall.

Now, our old friend FaFoxy, he often shows us an informative video including his entire house, so we can see all doors and windows and his actual ADDRESS. Now, that is fool hearty!

Palm Springs, California

#16 Jun 25, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
When will THAT be? Let me know and I can introduce you to everyone!

Palm Springs, California

#17 Jun 25, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
It's tough to find, but Tsing Tao Beer from China is one of the best.

Location hidden

#18 Jun 26, 2013
Europa Report wrote:
<quoted text>
no
I guess. You'd also have to GROW something ... the hops ... perish the thought.

Littleton, NH

#19 Jun 26, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess. You'd also have to GROW something ... the hops ... perish the thought.
I grew hops one year. I've never seen a plant attract the Jabanese Beatles like that! They grew fast in the spring, but were decimated by August. And then the Beatles moved on to the rest of my garden. Never again.

Besides, most beers have several types of hops. I'm simply not a good enough grower to keep tack of what is what. I actually think there is more to know about brewing beer than making wine.

“Building Better Worlds”

Europa

#20 Jun 26, 2013
One theory which I believe is fairly persuasive,is that beer led to civilization, as it led humans for the very first time to settle down in one place and cultivate crops.

Also, when the bible refers to strong drink, the writer is talking about beer, not what we today call hard liquor.

Littleton, NH

#21 Jun 26, 2013
I hate to be a spoiler... but to get back on-topic: I think friending people on FB has a much bigger impact on public opinion than has been realized. We all have friends with whom we'd never be likely to discuss GLBT issues. But when we post articles and opinions of interest to a broad swath of our friends, we also reach many who would never have thought about how GLBT issues affect people they care for. In that way, FB has helped people to realize that they have gay friends and what their struggles are.

I am also friends on FB with many former friends, like high school classmates. Some of them may never have been aware that they had once known a gay person pretty well. I'm sure it has made many reconsider.

I love the idea that things I post jog people's thinking without having to take them out for coffee and have an intervention. Conversations about coming out or GLBT issues have become so tedious..

Location hidden

#22 Jun 26, 2013
Europa Report wrote:
One theory which I believe is fairly persuasive,is that beer led to civilization, as it led humans for the very first time to settle down in one place and cultivate crops.
Also, when the bible refers to strong drink, the writer is talking about beer, not what we today call hard liquor.
It was wine. Wine turns to vinegar that is used to preserve foods. Neither the ethanol %age nor the very low ph of beer permit it's use for this.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Supreme Court Has 'Tipped Its Hand' In Favor Of... 5 min Reverend Alan 41
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 11 min Reverend Alan 3,142
ACLU sues to allow gay club in Indiana school 13 min Christsharian Law 96
Pastors opposed to gay marriage swear off all c... 18 min Rick in Kansas 74
'Those who live in love live in God': Watch as ... 20 min Christsharian Law 11
Gay marriage comes to Missouri. Wait ... what? 23 min Rick in Kansas 103
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 25 min KiMerde 51,306
Next gay marriage fight: religious exemptions 30 min Rick in Kansas 5,313
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 13 hr Frankie Rizzo 68,616
Prison Sex, Nude Selfies, Science, and Scandals... 14 hr Belle Sexton 2
More from around the web