HIV Rages Among Gay Black Men

Aug 7, 2012 Full story: EDGE 187

An alarming 60 percent of black men who have sex with men in the United States will become infected with HIV by the age of 40, according to the latest research presented at the XIX International AIDS Conference in Washington, D.C. The HIV Prevention Trials Network study involved 1,553 black men in six cities - Atlanta, Boston, Los Angeles, New ... (more)

Full Story
First Prev
of 10
Next Last
LION

Charlotte, NC

#1 Aug 7, 2012
Look up OKLAHOMA AIDS CURE and just read up about it.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#3 Aug 7, 2012
The question isn't one of race or even orientation.

Why aren't the youngsters getting the safer-sex message?

“Common courtesy, isn't”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#4 Aug 7, 2012
snyper wrote:
The question isn't one of race or even orientation.
Why aren't the youngsters getting the safer-sex message?
Actually, the question IS one of race and orientation, at least here in the South, where leaders in the black community are loathe to discuss HIV/AIDS because the subject carries with it the associated stigmas of homosexuality/bisexuality and IV drug addiction. Black churches, in particular, are noticeably silent on this issue.

I once served on the board of a local AIDS Interfaith Network, and had an opportunity to speak directly to California Congresswoman Maxine Waters. When I asked her why the problem was surrounded by so much denial, she replied that blacks had learned to remain silent during the days of slavery lest their problems be overheard by the masters and then used against them. I was astounded by the lack of logic in that reasoning, and could only reply, "That may have served your community well more than a century ago, but it's killing you today," and she gave me a look of disapproval that I've never forgotten.

Young people of color aren't receiving the message because it's not being given to them, proof that homophobia and denial do kill people.
Sadbuttrue

Chantilly, VA

#5 Aug 7, 2012
LION wrote:
Look up OKLAHOMA AIDS CURE and just read up about it.
too many Black men incarcerated its one in 3 Black males so it will get even higher!

Many are DL, Look at Eddie Long, Atlanta Minister1

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#6 Aug 7, 2012
Sadbuttrue wrote:
<quoted text>too many Black men incarcerated its one in 3 Black males so it will get even higher!
Many are DL, Look at Eddie Long, Atlanta Minister1
many are really women, you just can't tell.
Alacrity

Pekin, IL

#7 Aug 7, 2012
Why do radical homosexual hate groups waste millions on the fraud of homosexual 'marriage' while their own remain the largest category of new HIV/AIDS infection.

No doubt their racism plays a major role in this.
umm

United States

#8 Aug 7, 2012
More humanity advances Blacks become dumber.
Pastor Richards

United States

#9 Aug 7, 2012
I'M surprised that there is'nt more cases of MAD COW DISEASED among them seeing all the FAT SWEAT HOG SOWS those crack smoking-on the down low he-boons have been with
david traversa

Argentina

#10 Aug 7, 2012
snyper wrote:
The question isn't one of race or even orientation.
Why aren't the youngsters getting the safer-sex message?
One can always expect something wise from you..
David Baboso

El Segundo, CA

#11 Aug 7, 2012
david traversa wrote:
<quoted text>One can always expect something wise from you..
Get a room!

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#13 Aug 7, 2012
JMichael in Fort Worth wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, the question IS one of race and orientation, at least here in the South, where leaders in the black community are loathe to discuss HIV/AIDS because the subject carries with it the associated stigmas of homosexuality/bisexuality and IV drug addiction. Black churches, in particular, are noticeably silent on this issue.
I once served on the board of a local AIDS Interfaith Network, and had an opportunity to speak directly to California Congresswoman Maxine Waters. When I asked her why the problem was surrounded by so much denial, she replied that blacks had learned to remain silent during the days of slavery lest their problems be overheard by the masters and then used against them. I was astounded by the lack of logic in that reasoning, and could only reply, "That may have served your community well more than a century ago, but it's killing you today," and she gave me a look of disapproval that I've never forgotten.
Young people of color aren't receiving the message because it's not being given to them, proof that homophobia and denial do kill people.
That is neither racial, nor orientational.

That's cultural.

The stats we are getting are largely from undereducated, disaffected poor urban youth.

Why aren't they hearing it or, if hearing it, not comprehending ... or just not listening?

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#14 Aug 7, 2012
Alacrity wrote:
Why do radical homosexual hate groups waste millions on the fraud of homosexual 'marriage' while their own remain the largest category of new HIV/AIDS infection.
No doubt their racism plays a major role in this.
Why does DAVID MOORE of S. 18th Street in Pekin, Illinois, constantly make up false names?
Sadbuttrue

Chantilly, VA

#15 Aug 8, 2012
DISASTER LOOMS wrote:
<quoted text>
many are really women, you just can't tell.
maceo

Many Black men are gay because they enjoy ANAL SEX it reminds them of prison!

Didn't you have ANAL SEX with a WW in your office from Fredrick, MD in a barnyard? lMAO

YOu bragged about it on topix like a fool!
david traversa

Argentina

#18 Aug 8, 2012
David Baboso wrote:
<quoted text>
Get a room!
And one can always expect something insignificant from you.. yawn..

“Obsidian Princess”

Since: Sep 09

louisiana

#19 Aug 9, 2012
no such thing as HIV causing some mythical "aids."
Klaus666

Toronto, Canada

#20 Aug 9, 2012
This is great news! Hopefully, the lowlife, low down heboons will continue to spread aids wide and far to the heboons, Satan willing!

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#21 Aug 9, 2012
Klaus666 wrote:
racist monstrous trash
reported
Klaus666

Toronto, Canada

#22 Aug 9, 2012
Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>reported
Why do you think OUR PEOPLE created the disease in the first place? Duh!!!!!!!!!!
LION

Charlotte, NC

#23 Aug 9, 2012
Sadbuttrue wrote:
<quoted text>too many Black men incarcerated its one in 3 Black males so it will get even higher!
Many are DL, Look at Eddie Long, Atlanta Minister1
And what does that have to do with aids cure?
thecopy

Voorhees, NJ

#26 Sep 6, 2012
uh stop being gay then.. stupid heads..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Apple CEO Donating to Gay Rights Campaign in South 3 min steve jobs ghost 5
Op-ed: My Lesbian Moms Saved My Life 8 min chris hanson 5
Pastors opposed to gay marriage swear off all c... 9 min KiMare 35
Gay marriage ruling appealed to La. Supreme Court 10 min DNF 39
Catholic Church Waging War on Women and Gays (Oct '07) 14 min Brian_G 219,614
Alaska's 1st known gay marriage in Arctic town 18 min Sneaky Pete 29
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 21 min KiMare 201,153
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 27 min KiMare 2,813
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 31 min EdmondWA 26,651
Next gay marriage fight: religious exemptions 38 min Frankie Rizzo 4,956
Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 54 min Rick in Kansas 5,413
Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? 12 hr Reverend Alan 4,276
More from around the web