Queen to sign equal rights charter

Mar 9, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Andover Advertiser

The Queen is set to sign a new charter backing equal rights for women and gay people after it received the support of every Commonwealth nation, it has been reported.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of20

“ WOOF !”

Since: Nov 12

33.00, -111.51

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Mar 9, 2013
 

Judged:

3

2

1

I certainly hope Queen Elizabeth II lives to see her 65th anniversary on the throne.
david traversa

Tucuman, Argentina

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Mar 9, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Yes , by all means help do away with all that discrimination garbage , Madam ..

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Mar 9, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Good SHOW, Cuz!

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Mar 10, 2013
 

Judged:

3

2

1

She's been on board for decades. I read that most of her male courtiers are gay and she enjoys a lively relationship with them, teasing them, them teasing her.

She is not above entering a room and saying "I guess ALL the old queens are now here!"

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Mar 10, 2013
 

Judged:

2

Fa-Foxy wrote:
I certainly hope Queen Elizabeth II lives to see her 65th anniversary on the throne.
I'm generally not a huge FaFooey fan, but HOW did anyone feel upset enough with your post to plaster it with frowny faces? Incredible.
david traversa

Mendiolaza, Argentina

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Mar 10, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>I'm generally not a huge FaFooey fan, but HOW did anyone feel upset enough with your post to plaster it with frowny faces? Incredible.
Yes .. I was puzzled by this also .. If he's on a serious vein ( which he is , many times ) nobody appreciates it .. Unfair ..

“Alley Cat Blues”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Mar 10, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>I'm generally not a huge FaFooey fan, but HOW did anyone feel upset enough with your post to plaster it with frowny faces? Incredible.
Certainly wasn't me!

“ WOOF !”

Since: Nov 12

33.00, -111.51

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Mar 10, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

The 3 longest reigning monarchs in British history and\or English history (the 2 terms do not mean the same thing although many people mistakenly believe they do) are:

Queen Victoria - 63 years, 216 days

Queen Elizabeth II - 61 years, 32 days

King George III - 59 years, 96 days (whom we violently revolted against in The American Revolutionary War, because one of our famous forefathers, James McMillan, issued that FAMOUS battle cry: "Our taxes are TOO DAMN HIGH !")

The British do NO have separatin of church and state as we do, and so rightly cherish.

And as long as the Brits want their monarchy, Great Britain does not have, AND CANNOT HAVE, separation of church and state as we do. This is because the Head Of State, the reigning monarch, IS also the "Supreme Governor Of The Church Of England" (an official title).

Great Britain does NOT have a written constitution as the U.S. does, and other republics have. If the people of Great Britain ever decide that they want a republic instead of a monarchy, then they could have separation of church and state. But as Britain has been a monarchy for well more than 1000 years, and the Brits are still in love with the Royal Family, it is doubtful they will become a republic in the foreseeable future. Thus, separation of church and state in Britain is nowhere near the horizon of possibility.

(continued below)

“ WOOF !”

Since: Nov 12

33.00, -111.51

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Mar 10, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

(continued from above)

The current reigning sovereign, Queen Elizabeth II, is only the 2nd English or British (England and Great Britain are 2 different things) monarch to have reigned over 60 years. Only her great-great-grandmother, Queen Victoria, who was monarch for over 63 years, reigned longer.

Queen Elizabeth's son Charles,(whose regnal name will be King George VII it is rumored), has been heir apparent since his mother assumed the throne, and is the longest-serving heir apparent in English or British history. He also may become the oldest person ever to be crowned monarch of England or Great Britain.

King George I of Great Britain was a German Lutheran of the House of Hanover, and was born in Hanover in present day Germany. He was fluent in German and French, and also spoke Latin, Dutch and English, although he was born in present day Germany. He spent a lot of time in Hanover even while Great Britain's monarch.

King George II was the son of King George I. He was also a German Lutheran, also born in Hanover in present-day Germany. Until the age of four, George spoke only French. He later learned German, English and Italian. King George II was the last British monarch born outside of Great Britain. He was born and raised in Hanover.

King George III was the grandson of King George II, and became King of Great Britain upon the death of his grandfather, King George II. The son of King George II, who was named Frederick, had died young. He was the third British monarch of the House of Hanover, but unlike his two Hanoverian predecessors he was born in Britain, spoke English as his first language, and never visited Hanover. It is King George III whom we fought our Revolutionary War against. And unlike his 2 predecessors, George I and George II, George III was not a Lutheran, but was Anglican.

And although the family name of the current Royal Family is "Windsor", this was a name picked in 1917, from Windsor Castle. The actual family name is the German family name Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (itself a branch of the German House Of Wettin).

As the British were at war with Germany in 1917, and even though the monarchs of Great Britain and Germany were first cousins, the Germans were not too popular in Britain at that time, and so King George V changed the family name from the German "Saxe-Coburg and Gotha" to the British name "Windsor". This was done by royal proclamation of King George V.

Any future monarch can change the dynastic name through a royal proclamation. The 1917 proclamation stated that the name of the Royal House and all British descendants of Victoria and Albert in the male line were to bear the name of Windsor, except for women who married into other families.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Mar 10, 2013
 
Foxy, the solution is simple. The Monarch simply renounces that title for herself and her heirs, taking instead, "Defender of the Faith". THough since that title was granted by the Papacy, it might be best to let that one alone.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Mar 10, 2013
 
Curteese wrote:
She's been on board for decades. I read that most of her male courtiers are gay and she enjoys a lively relationship with them, teasing them, them teasing her.
She is not above entering a room and saying "I guess ALL the old queens are now here!"
LOL!

“ WOOF !”

Since: Nov 12

33.00, -111.51

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Mar 10, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

snyper wrote:
Foxy, the solution is simple. The Monarch simply renounces that title for herself and her heirs, taking instead, "Defender of the Faith". THough since that title was granted by the Papacy, it might be best to let that one alone.
Apparently the Brits like things just the way they are.

And remember that a few hundred years ago, the monarchy WAS overthrown, and a REPUBLIC was established. That didn't work out so well (much like World War II didn't work out so well for the Germans), so the Brits BROUGHT BACK THE MONARCHY !:)

Since thr Brits like their Monarchy, they can keep it until they don't want it anymore. And that looks likely to be centuries in the future.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Mar 10, 2013
 
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently the Brits like things just the way they are.
And remember that a few hundred years ago, the monarchy WAS overthrown, and a REPUBLIC was established. That didn't work out so well (much like World War II didn't work out so well for the Germans), so the Brits BROUGHT BACK THE MONARCHY !:)
Since thr Brits like their Monarchy, they can keep it until they don't want it anymore. And that looks likely to be centuries in the future.
I said nothing about relinquishing the monarchy, just the religious title. Well within the scope of remaining powers of the monarchy.

“ WOOF !”

Since: Nov 12

33.00, -111.51

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Mar 10, 2013
 
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
I said nothing about relinquishing the monarchy, just the religious title. Well within the scope of remaining powers of the monarchy.
Possible ? Yes. Likely ? No.(Unless they want to bring back the German Lutheran Hanoverians as monarchs again.:))

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Mar 11, 2013
 
Curteese wrote:
She's been on board for decades. I read that most of her male courtiers are gay and she enjoys a lively relationship with them, teasing them, them teasing her.
She is not above entering a room and saying "I guess ALL the old queens are now here!"
I recall that her late (and rather pickled) mother's favourite command to her servants was, "Can one of you old queens bring this old queen another gin and tonic?"

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Mar 11, 2013
 
Fa Foxy seems rather interested in British history. Why is it that Americans know so much and the former mother country and so little about other nations? National "-philias" seem to vary by their holder countries. Brits and Russians are historically Italophiles, the French used to be Sinophiles, the Thais are Japanophiles, the Poles are Americanophiles, and so on. Besides the UK, Canadians have somewhat of a bond with the Netherlands as they liberated it.

One wonders if the Scots vote for independence in 2015 if they will keep the Queen as a monarch, descended as she was from a "wee German lairdie" and not a Stuart.

“ WOOF !”

Since: Nov 12

33.00, -111.51

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Mar 11, 2013
 
JohnInToronto wrote:
Fa Foxy seems rather interested in British history. Why is it that Americans know so much and the former mother country and so little about other nations? National "-philias" seem to vary by their holder countries. Brits and Russians are historically Italophiles, the French used to be Sinophiles, the Thais are Japanophiles, the Poles are Americanophiles, and so on. Besides the UK, Canadians have somewhat of a bond with the Netherlands as they liberated it.
One wonders if the Scots vote for independence in 2015 if they will keep the Queen as a monarch, descended as she was from a "wee German lairdie" and not a Stuart.
I don't know much about British history at all.

I AM a Deutschophile however, since I am of German ancestry, and am Lutheran because of that ancestry (both my grandmothers were German Lutherans). And as King George I of Great Britain and King George II of Great Britain were both German Lutherans, I have taken the time to learn a bit about them and the current Royal Family (who changed the family name from the German "Saxe-Coburg und Gotha" to the English surname "Windsor" by royal decree in 1917.)

And I admire Queen Elizabeth II and hope she remains on the throne for at least another few years.

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Mar 11, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

JohnInToronto wrote:
<quoted text>
I recall that her late (and rather pickled) mother's favourite command to her servants was, "Can one of you old queens bring this old queen another gin and tonic?"
I hear she was quite witty and I can JUST see her saying that! I've read that HRH Elizabeth is also quite funny and can see her thinking that way also. It's as I have always thought, those with good sense of humor are NOT so uptight and intolerant.

“ WOOF !”

Since: Nov 12

33.00, -111.51

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Mar 11, 2013
 
JohnInToronto wrote:
<quoted text>
I recall that her late (and rather pickled) mother's favourite command to her servants was, "Can one of you old queens bring this old queen another gin and tonic?"
And as the most recent Queen Mother lived past the age of 101 years, I think there is a good chance that Queen Elizabeth II will exceed the length of her great-great-grandmother's reign (Queen Victoria reigned for 63 years and 216 days), and become the longest-reigning monarch in English history or British history. I certainly hope she lives long enough to see her 65th anniverssary on the throne.

Her son, Prince Charles, is the longest-serving heir-apparant in English history or British history, and may become the oldest person ever crowned monarch in English history or British history if he becomes King. If Prince Charles is crowned King, it is rumored he will choose the regnal name "George VII" as King Charles I and King Charles II do not have the most sterling of reputations.

If Prince Charles decides to defer to his eldest son, William, he would presumably be crowned "King William V", although the monarch may choose whatever regnal name they wish.

“ WOOF !”

Since: Nov 12

33.00, -111.51

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Mar 11, 2013
 
btw, Queen Victoria's first name was Alexandrina.

Edward VII's first name was Albert.

And George VI's first name was also Albert.

They were given the first name Albert in honor of their German ancestor, Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, who was the husband (Prince Consort) of Queen Victoria.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of20
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••