Julio of Jackson Heights

Mar 18, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Jeremiah's Vanishing New York

Since 1993, filmmaker and photographer Richard Shpuntoff has been documenting the LGBT Pride Parade in his home neighborhood of Jackson Heights, Queens.

Comments
1 - 12 of 12 Comments Last updated Oct 9, 2012
Mike

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

The LGBTs and crime have ruined Jackson Heights. It was a nice place in the 1980s.
Franklin Stantoni

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Mike wrote:
The LGBTs and crime have ruined Jackson Heights. It was a nice place in the 1980s.
Since you are in Nevada, I doubt you know where Jackson Heights is, or even Queens is.
Mike

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2011

Franklin Stantoni wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you are in Nevada, I doubt you know where Jackson Heights is, or even Queens is.
I used to live in NJ and I used tp go to parties at my friends' homes in Jackson Heights evey weekend during 1984-1987.
I used to drive there by taking Interstate 278 across the Goethals Bridge, then across Staten, across the Verrazano, and through Brooklyn and Queens (where 278 is called the "BQE") up to exit 38 and turn right on Northen Blvd. I had friends who lived at the corner 84th and Northern, on 35th Ave. between 83rd and 84th, and on the two-way block of 75th St. between Roosevelt and 37th Ave.
When I had my NJ driver's license suspended, I used to take the NJ Transit train into Penn Station in Manhattan, and then take the E train to Roosevelt and 74th. From there, I'd take a taxi or walk to my Jackson Heights detinations. From what I've told you, you should be able to tell that I'm quite familiar with Jackson Heights.
Franklin Stantoni

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2011

Mike wrote:
<quoted text>I used to live in NJ and I used tp go to parties at my friends' homes in Jackson Heights evey weekend during 1984-1987.
I used to drive there by taking Interstate 278 across the Goethals Bridge, then across Staten, across the Verrazano, and through Brooklyn and Queens (where 278 is called the "BQE") up to exit 38 and turn right on Northen Blvd. I had friends who lived at the corner 84th and Northern, on 35th Ave. between 83rd and 84th, and on the two-way block of 75th St. between Roosevelt and 37th Ave.
When I had my NJ driver's license suspended, I used to take the NJ Transit train into Penn Station in Manhattan, and then take the E train to Roosevelt and 74th. From there, I'd take a taxi or walk to my Jackson Heights detinations. From what I've told you, you should be able to tell that I'm quite familiar with Jackson Heights.
Congratulations ! I see you can use Google maps !

:)
Mike

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2011

Franklin Stantoni wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not using Google or any other maps. I'm remembering from the past.
Mike

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2011

I'm GUESSING that they haven't built any new roads since the 1980s. After all, we're talking about NYC, which I don't think has ever finished road construction projects on existing roads that began in the 60s, let alone built any new roads.
Mike

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2011

Franklin Stantoni wrote:
<quoted text>
If you think I'm using Google maps or something else and you don't believe that I'm familiar with Jackson Heights, ask me a few questions that only a person who had been there would know. Franklin: You are a stupid shmuck!!!!!!!
Franklin Stantoni

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2011

Mike wrote:
<quoted text>If you think I'm using Google maps or something else and you don't believe that I'm familiar with Jackson Heights, ask me a few questions that only a person who had been there would know. Franklin: You are a stupid shmuck!!!!!!!
No. Because I am ALWAYS Fair. And Balanced.

(btw I was born in Brooklyn and raised in Queens on the Isle of Lange.:))

“2014 ! The Bar is Open !”

Since: Dec 07

Daytona Beach

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2011

Judged:

was he ever down by the school yard ?
beijing shots

Santiago, Chile

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

Mike wrote:
<quoted text>If you think I'm using Google maps or something else and you don't believe that I'm familiar with Jackson Heights, ask me a few questions that only a person who had been there would know. Franklin: You are a stupid shmuck!!!!!!!
name some local gangs, or stores that used to be there but are now closed
Roosevelt Ave

Ridge, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

Is JULIO down by the schoolyard?
Roosevelt Ave

Ridge, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

beijing shots wrote:
<quoted text>name some local gangs, or stores that used to be there but are now closed
....How about Hilda's Deli or the Old Barn...?????

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••