I support polygamists lawsuit

I support polygamists lawsuit

There are 26 comments on the www.boxturtlebulletin.com story from Jul 12, 2011, titled I support polygamists lawsuit. In it, www.boxturtlebulletin.com reports that:

Get ready to hear the anti-gays shriek, “I told you so!” A reality celebrity polygamist family from Utah is suing that state to have its polygamy law found unconstitutional. And I support them.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.boxturtlebulletin.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#21 Oct 10, 2011
TheBluntTruth wrote:
I probably painted Mormon fundamentalists with too broad a brush there. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few Mormon polygamist families where 1. Marriage only happens in adulthood AND 2. There is no abuse. It is not because of polygamy that abuses happen, but because of patriarchal religious beliefs, which are a problem even in monogamous relationships.
While I concur with the motivations behind your beliefs, you have failed to address one very fundamental problem: Accommodating polyamorous relationships does, indeed, require rewriting the marital code. There is simply no way that laws designed to give two people the right to share their lives and responsibilities together can be easily adapted to more.

You yourself cited a few examples where problems come in. Additional problems include who makes medical decisions for the other; who gets the pension and social security benefits when one dies; etc. Consider also a polyamorous relationship consisting of one woman whom several men share among themselves. We will assume for our purposes that each man is a Kinsey zero and has no sexual interest in any of the other husbands. What happens if the woman dies? Does the marriage survive her? Are these heterosexual men now condemned either to divorce one another or to live out their lives in a relationship that could never be sexually satisfying? Or should they put out a personal ad "Seven widowers seek suitable woman (or women) to become our new sexual partner?"

Of course one CAN devise solutions to every problem. But I have never seen anyone define a set of rules that would be desirable for every other polyamorous couple. Nor has any society practiced polygamy in a manner that treats each spouse as an equal. In Mormon society, in particular, the man holds all the power, and there is a hierarchy of authority among the wives. We have spent a century eliminating the male-dominated hierarchy in marriage law. Any form of polygamy that has ever been institutionalized on this planet would be a giant step backward from what we have achieved.

Caledonia, OH

#22 Oct 10, 2011
I wonder how this will play out since there is a federal law against polygamy. When Utah applied for statehood, congress passed the Edmunds Act and forced Utah to modify it's laws and ban polygamy in order to be considered for statehood. The Edmunds Act makes polygamy a felony charge. It also revokes polygamists' right to vote, makes them inelible for jury duty, and prohibits them from holding political office.

Grand Ledge, MI

#23 Oct 10, 2011
This is part 2, I can't tell if part 1 even posted.
Nor has any society practiced polygamy in a manner that treats each spouse as an equal.
What is "equal"? And why does it have to be "equal"? Think of your relationships with your friends in everyday life, are you always equals? Or do you sometimes make the decisions and they sometimes do? Truly satisfactory human relationships are not equal, truly satisfactory human relationships switch roles from time to time.

Furthermore, plenty of monogamous couples are unequal and the law has no problem with them. The right question is not "is it equal?" but "is it consentual?" and "is it non-abusive?" Even if one person makes most decisions it does not automatically make the relationship abusive. If domestic violence is going on, it should be stopped whether the relationship is monogamous or polygamous. At least with polygamy there are more witnesses. In monogamy the abuser has plausible deniability.

And recognizing the marriage will allow people to leave with some of the property if they are dissatisfied. Currently, the wives in Mormon polygamist relationships have no legal bargaining chips. They can't get divorced, because they can't get an official marriage in the first place(Which I'm sure they would insist on getting if it was legal). Legal polygamy might also stop many underaged marriages, because underaged marriage would still be illegal and the participants would want to take the opportunity to have a legally valid union. Legalizing polygamy may lead FLDS people to refuse to sanctify underaged unions in order to attain legitimacy in the eyes of the public. This is positive, because it prevents statuatory rape.

And it doesn't really matter what societies in the past have done, because we're living in the present. Societies in the past, whether they permitted polygamy or not held people to rigid ideals of what sort of family life they ought to set up. People should be free and not held in strict molds of what families should look like.

Since the 1960s sexual revolution more and more people are experimenting with alternative setups for sexuality and for forming families. Sometimes several people of both genders may all desire to live together and raise families. Sometimes it might be one woman, several men. How is it anyone's business the way I or you decide to set up our family lives?

I'm not saying I would support any and all proposals to legalize polygamy. It depends upon the details of the proposal and whether or not I thought they were adequate. BUT I see no justification for throwing people in jail just because of how they set up their family(with the obvious exception of prosecuting underaged relationships and domestic violence). Even if we don't legalize polygamy we should eliminate the clause that includes cohabitation in the law. People should be free to choose their living arrangements. It is the height of government intrusion to tell people they can't even live together and/or have sex.

East Lansing, MI

#24 Oct 18, 2011
For the first part, yes I described it, some of it anyways.

I think a good solution is the same solution we use now for inheritance. Remember in ancient times when people would respond to "let people marry who they want" with "who will get the estate?"

I don't get how people back then didn't think "just let the property owner choose who ever he wants".

Similarly, people making a marriage contract should be able to stipulate how things like property, inheritance, etc. are dealt with.

There will need to be some limitations obviously. Child care credits should decline the more adults in the household, because that means more adults who could get jobs to support the family.

Newark, NJ

#25 May 13, 2012
I honestly believe that every religion has its own believes, systems and set of rules. And while i may not agree with it as a way i would want to live my life it works for other people. Not every single polygamist family is like warren jeffs. Im not saying that none are but some arent. Not everyone who buys a gun kills someone but some do, its the same basic concept. As far as same sex marrages, yes that should have been put into law as well. I dont believe that being gay should prevent anyone from marrage. You cant help who you love. There should be ways to make sure that you can be happy with whomever you want. Either way be happy and be true to yourself because in the end thats what your going to wake up to every morning. Its what you live not not anyone else.

Placerville, CA

#26 Sep 18, 2013
Disgusted American wrote:
hey IF they can MAKE thier case, more power to them.....doubt they will tho......it has NOTHING to do with Same Gender cpls marrying ie: 2 consenting - non-related adults.
I don't see why they should HAVE to make their case. They're not trying to "convert" anyone - they;re just showing us how they live so we can see they are just regular people (Though they seem MUCH more dedicated to making their relationships work than many monogomous couples I know!!)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roy Moore accuser says she was not paid to tell... 4 min Frankie Rizzo 175
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 5 min River Tam 59,135
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 14 min Crazy Marlene 19,211
The Spectrum Cafe (Dec '07) 1 hr GawdSkunk 27,473
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 4 hr Wisdom 26,108
News Why CBS' 'Instinct,' With Its History-Making Ga... 8 hr Frankie Rizzo 42
News Kim Davis wrote a book, anti-gay rhetoric - hit... 8 hr Wondering 3