Rethinking the Bible on homosexuality

Rethinking the Bible on homosexuality

There are 22384 comments on the religion.blogs.cnn.com story from Feb 10, 2011, titled Rethinking the Bible on homosexuality. In it, religion.blogs.cnn.com reports that:

We often hears that Christians have no choice but to regard homosexuality as a sin - that Scripture simply demands it.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at religion.blogs.cnn.com.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#23150 Oct 15, 2012
LuLu Ford wrote:
<quoted text>
They will need to give him a few more jolts of electricity.
spread the word:

Let them try to stop schools from teaching this during Black History Month!

South Africa officially recognizes gay pride flag

South Africa has recognized it’s own version of the rainbow gay pride flag as an officially registered national symbol

http://www.topix.com/news/gay/2012/10/south-a...

The bigots can no longer say there is no connection between the black struggle for rights and ours. Unless they want to claim blacks didn't suffer under apartheid.

Ths is also interesting:
Scientists Win Nobel Prize, Benefit Gay Parents
http://www.topix.com/news/gay/2012/10/scienti...

and:
Pennsylvania Looking to Ban ‘Ex-Gay’ Conversion Therapy. A similar bill is also being worked on in New Jersey.

http://www.topix.com/news/gay/2012/10/pennsyl...

This should be good for a few extra thousand volts on goatboy!

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#23151 Oct 16, 2012
LuLu Ford wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's say their God is too small.
You can say that and I understand what you are saying.

But, from the perspective that you and I are taking, which is that their God and the One that we understand to BE God are actually the same, I prefer to make a careful linking.

They like to say that God is "their" God.

As a disciple of Christ, I like to say that God is "our" God and I think that I can get away with saying that God is "my" God. It is a subtle distinction. But, it is worth making.

Better if we say, "Their concept of God is probably too limiting."

The Israelites regarded the Covenant with Abraham to be something established; a Benchmark that set them apart and lifted their fate above the tribes of the surrounding world. In true monotheism, they cherished the Lord God and strove to increase in the Holy Spirit. God responded by raising individuals of this heritage in consciousness and divine awareness. Scripture is a telling of the history of these perceptions.

But, they were also human beings that screw up just like every other band of brothers and sisters inevitably does, lots more than just once.

Christ Jesus did something very different. He reapplied the original Covenant not by taking away its personal exclusivity, but by establishing an opening that is a direct invitation to take part in the original Covenant. The parable of the King's Wedding Feast is this declaration.

No amount of peculiar ritual or traditional behavior can make a person into a Jew. That distinction is a tribal, even a maternal, theological heritage that includes genetics. What Jesus did, to the consternation of the Jewish hierarchy, was to demonstrate His prerogative to regard another human being, Jew or non-Jew, as a fully worthy recipient of the spiritual reality of the Hebrew Covenant. THAT is the New Testament Gospel.

You are right to say something is too small. But, it is not the recognized Being. It is their concept of the recognized Being.

Your passion for and acceptance of the Invitation that Christ provides is a personal acceptance of the original Covenant. It is personal to YOU. And it is something very real.

The Universe and the Mind of Being is a very big place that has been established for a very, very long time; much bigger and with much greater dimensional depth and force and much more established than most people either recognize or realize.

Guidance is offered. An invitation is extended. But, like the Man said, if you are going to respond to the offer, be sure to show up dressed for the party. And, in another place He said to "trim your lamp." That is, get ready and be vigilant.

Rev. Ken

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

#23152 Oct 16, 2012
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
But, from the perspective that you and I are taking, which is that their God and the One that we understand to BE God are actually the same, I prefer to make a careful linking.
As a disciple of Christ, I like to say that God is "our" God and I think that I can get away with saying that God is "my" God. It is a subtle distinction. But, it is worth making.
The Israelites regarded the Covenant with Abraham to be something established; a Benchmark that set them apart and lifted their fate above the tribes of the surrounding world. In true monotheism, they cherished the Lord God and strove to increase in the Holy Spirit. God responded by raising individuals of this heritage in consciousness and divine awareness. Scripture is a telling of the history of these perceptions.
But, they were also human beings that screw up just like every other band of brothers and sisters inevitably does, lots more than just once.
Christ Jesus did something very different. He reapplied the original Covenant not by taking away its personal exclusivity, but by establishing an opening that is a direct invitation to take part in the original Covenant. The parable of the King's Wedding Feast is this declaration.
No amount of peculiar ritual or traditional behavior can make a person into a Jew. That distinction is a tribal, even a maternal, theological heritage that includes genetics. What Jesus did, to the consternation of the Jewish hierarchy, was to demonstrate His prerogative to regard another human being, Jew or non-Jew, as a fully worthy recipient of the spiritual reality of the Hebrew Covenant. THAT is the New Testament Gospel.
You are right to say something is too small. But, it is not the recognized Being. It is their concept of the recognized Being.
Your passion for and acceptance of the Invitation that Christ provides is a personal acceptance of the original Covenant. It is personal to YOU. And it is something very real.
The Universe and the Mind of Being is a very big place that has been established for a very, very long time; much bigger and with much greater dimensional depth and force and much more established than most people either recognize or realize.
Guidance is offered. An invitation is extended. But, like the Man said, if you are going to respond to the offer, be sure to show up dressed for the party. And, in another place He said to "trim your lamp." That is, get ready and be vigilant.
Rev. Ken
Brilliant, my brother!

Location hidden

#23153 Oct 16, 2012
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
Brilliant, my brother!
Thank you.

But, I am only reiterating what you already know and understand.

There are many more here who also understand.
Caleb

Pekin, IL

#23154 Oct 16, 2012
AscendedFalmer wrote:
<quoted text>
Leviticus was a hygiene book. It was written by Hebrews 500 years before Christ, and included many things besides those, all of which are ridiculous when held in context with today's society.
Corinthians, Romans, and Timothy were written by ancient Greeks who, at the time of writing, did not have a word for homosexuality because it was not required. This proves that the bible was rewritten over and over for the needs of men.
The ridiculous lies about the Bible that you have plagiarized from bigot radical homosexual hate sites have been refuted many times, Spammer.

If you really are as ignorant of the Bible as your plagiarized post implies, Google Leviticus and see what it is really about. Read Paul's Epistles. No ancient Bible text, Bible translation, or Judeo-Christian tradition support the lies you plagiarized.

The Bible repeatedly condemns all homosexual behavior in the plainest of terms.

Location hidden

#23155 Oct 16, 2012
Caleb wrote:
<quoted text>The ridiculous lies about the Bible that you have plagiarized from bigot radical homosexual hate sites have been refuted many times, Spammer.
If you really are as ignorant of the Bible as your plagiarized post implies, Google Leviticus and see what it is really about. Read Paul's Epistles. No ancient Bible text, Bible translation, or Judeo-Christian tradition support the lies you plagiarized.
He's baaaaaaaack....!

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#23156 Oct 16, 2012
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
He's baaaaaaaack....!
Caleb doesn't exist. Caleb is a figment of David Moore's imagination.

Location hidden

#23157 Oct 16, 2012
http://www.myspace.com/loveoneanother55

David says he's married. I wonder if his wife ever has sex with him.

Location hidden

#23158 Oct 16, 2012
Scroll down and check out these ugly Jesus pictures.

“Trolls are Clueless”

Since: Dec 07

Aptos, California

#23159 Oct 16, 2012
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Rev. Ken
As you have pointed out, nobody can own God. Belief and rule following goes nowhere.
Caleb

Pekin, IL

#23160 Oct 17, 2012
Mister Ford wrote:
<quoted text>
As you have pointed out, nobody can own God. Belief and rule following goes nowhere.
Christians believe in the God revealed in the Bible, who will reveal Himself to those who study, pray, and reform their lives. This real God indeed makes His view of choosing to engage in homosexual behavior unmistakable:

Leviticus 18:22 - You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination.
Leviticus 20:13 - If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their blood guiltiness is upon them.
Romans 1:26-27 - For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error.
I Corinthians 6:9 (NIV)- Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
I Timothy 1:8-11 (NASB)- "But we know that the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully, realizing the fact that law is not made for a righteous person, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers and immoral men and homosexuals and kidnappers and liars and perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound teaching, according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, with which I have been entrusted."

Location hidden

#23161 Oct 17, 2012
Caleb wrote:
<quoted text>Christians believe in the God revealed in the Bible, who will reveal Himself to those who study, pray, and reform their lives. This real God indeed makes His view of choosing to engage in homosexual behavior unmistakable:
Leviticus 18:22 - You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination.
Leviticus 20:13 - If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their blood guiltiness is upon them.
Romans 1:26-27 - For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error.
I Corinthians 6:9 (NIV)- Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
I Timothy 1:8-11 (NASB)- "But we know that the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully, realizing the fact that law is not made for a righteous person, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers and immoral men and homosexuals and kidnappers and liars and perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound teaching, according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, with which I have been entrusted."
Nope.

Not so.

You are stuck in an Old Testament mode of accusing, judging and condemning.

Jesus Christ came into His Ministry to free His disciples from that mode of thinking.

The Mountain Empire

#23162 Oct 17, 2012
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope.
Not so.
You are stuck in an Old Testament mode of accusing, judging and condemning.
Jesus Christ came into His Ministry to free His disciples from that mode of thinking.
Why does he allays forget:“Don’t judge, so that you won’t be judged. For the way you judge others is how you will be judged — the measure with which you measure out will be used to measure to you.

David's filling up that measure to overflowing......

The Mountain Empire

#23163 Oct 17, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
You mean Jesus doesn't light up when he gets his picture taken?

And those eyes, so Jewish.

LOL.........

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#23164 Oct 17, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
So glittery! LOL

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#23165 Oct 18, 2012
Caleb wrote:
<quoted text>The ridiculous lies about the Bible that you have plagiarized from bigot radical homosexual hate sites have been refuted many times, Spammer.
'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge.'

Stephen Hawking

Like any other religion we have an opinion on everything. For instance abortion. The big question in abortion is, when does the fetus become a person?
We believe the fetus becomes a person when it stops calling home for money.
-ZenJudaism (THE ONLY RELIGION WITH A SENSE OF HUMOR) http://www.zenjudaism.net/index.html

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#23166 Oct 18, 2012
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
He's baaaaaaaack....!
He doesn't exist!

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#23167 Oct 18, 2012
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
He's baaaaaaaack....!
I thought something smelled sour! Now I know why.
Caleb

Pekin, IL

#23168 Oct 18, 2012
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge.'
Stephen Hawking
Like any other religion we have an opinion on everything. For instance abortion. The big question in abortion is, when does the fetus become a person?
We believe the fetus becomes a person when it stops calling home for money.
-ZenJudaism (THE ONLY RELIGION WITH A SENSE OF HUMOR) http://www.zenjudaism.net/index.html
God leaves no room for speculation on homosexual behavior.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#23169 Oct 18, 2012
Caleb wrote:
<quoted text>God leaves no room for speculation on homosexual behavior.
I thought something smelled sour! Now I know why.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lawmakers forming committee to study LGBT rights 26 min Voter 23
News Woman arrested as gay couple gets Alabama marri... (Feb '15) 30 min ChromePearl 23
News Priest Who Wrote Vatican's Anti-Gay Guidelines ... 2 hr Dr Reker s Bellhop 3
News Anti-Gay Jehovah's Witness Cartoon Tells Kids T... 3 hr jsmith 2,111
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 4 hr here 36,260
News 'Gay sex causes earthquakes' says conservative ... 4 hr wichita-rick 2
News Feds' transgender guidance provokes fierce back... 4 hr californio 1,044
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 7 hr River Tam 11,908
More from around the web