Rethinking the Bible on homosexuality

Rethinking the Bible on homosexuality

There are 22383 comments on the religion.blogs.cnn.com story from Feb 10, 2011, titled Rethinking the Bible on homosexuality. In it, religion.blogs.cnn.com reports that:

We often hears that Christians have no choice but to regard homosexuality as a sin - that Scripture simply demands it.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at religion.blogs.cnn.com.

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

#23129 Oct 14, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed, spiritual bankruptcy abounds.
It's amazing to me how few 'religious' are spiritual....

The Mountain Empire

#23130 Oct 14, 2012
Caleb wrote:
<quoted text>You are really on the wrong thread. This isn't about your own non-Christian views, it is about the irrefutable FACT that the Bible repeatedly condemns all homosexual behavior in the plainest of terms and in both Testaments:
Leviticus 18:22 - You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination.
Leviticus 20:13 - If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their blood guiltiness is upon them.
Romans 1:26-27 - For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error.
I Corinthians 6:9 (NIV)- Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
I Timothy 1:8-11 (NASB)- "But we know that the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully, realizing the fact that law is not made for a righteous person, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers and immoral men and homosexuals and kidnappers and liars and perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound teaching, according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, with which I have been entrusted."
Why did Saul get kicked out of Jerusalem by the real Apostles?

Why do you think you or anyone else is a member of the tribe of Levi?

Do you work in THE temple?

NO because Jesus told us WE are the temple.

That's what you've destroyed, yourself.

Poor poor David...

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#23131 Oct 14, 2012
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
Why did Saul get kicked out of Jerusalem by the real Apostles?
Why do you think you or anyone else is a member of the tribe of Levi?
Do you work in THE temple?
NO because Jesus told us WE are the temple.
That's what you've destroyed, yourself.
Poor poor David...
I can always tell when I've posted something that trips David Moore's "faith" up. He starts in on his "you're on the wrong thread" BS and then jumps to declaring what the subject of the thread is.

He seems to have trouble comprehending what the term "re-thinking" means, so he lies and makes up his own title for this thread.

I liked the points you raised. I'm sure David has no idea what you're referring to, since his religious views are so set. It's a characteristic I've noticed of many right wing "Christians". They don't like their faith challenged by Biblical facts and history.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#23132 Oct 14, 2012
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>I can always tell when I've posted something that trips David Moore's "faith" up. He starts in on his "you're on the wrong thread" BS and then jumps to declaring what the subject of the thread is.
He seems to have trouble comprehending what the term "re-thinking" means, so he lies and makes up his own title for this thread.
I liked the points you raised. I'm sure David has no idea what you're referring to, since his religious views are so set. It's a characteristic I've noticed of many right wing "Christians". They don't like their faith challenged by Biblical facts and history.
David Moore babble for sure.

“Trolls are Clueless”

Since: Dec 07

Aptos, California

#23133 Oct 14, 2012
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>It's amazing to me how few 'religious' are spiritual....
That's because they deny the Holy Spirit don't they.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#23134 Oct 14, 2012
LuLu Ford wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear LuLu,

From my experience, the literalist/fundamentalist does not actually deny the Holy Spirit. He or she forces it to jump through hoops.

What this type of religious person does it to attempt to objectify the Holy Spirit as something outside of oneself.

In a sense, it is easier for them to deposit a measure of faith into something they can see and touch - the bible and its tangible text - rather than believe in an actual spiritual presence. But, this is ironic in the extreme because the scripture clearly presents any number of situations and recounts experiences showing the Holy Spirit to be an integral presence with and within the individual. In other words, the Holy Spirit functions and guides the individual from within as well as from without.

This is what Jesus was teaching to Nicodemus.

Example: Philip on the road to Damascus is guided to the Ethiopian eunuch in order to instruct and to baptize him.

Another example: The Holy Spirit "descends" upon Jesus as he comes up out of the River Jordan.

Another example: Stephen is filled with the Holy Spirit as he is stoned to death.

The Holy Spirit is like a rheostat knob that turns up the electrical current from within the light bulb. You are the light bulb.

I have known fundamentalist/literalists who are filled with the Holy Spirit. There just is no question about it. But, they still hold onto the bible as a framework of theological belief and they still have some very goofy beliefs. So, what they are doing is forcing the Holy Spirit to address them through this framework. Is their spirituality real? Yes, it is. But, it is both qualified and restricted by their structured belief.

Understanding this, one can see that the disciple of Christ can come forward in many different forms and visages. You might liken each of us to a Rubik's cube that has not been fully rearranged to have all of the colored squares in the right places. Still the Holy Spirit can light this cube and use it to bring Light, Life and Love into this world.

Such a person can also hold onto some very negative beliefs and attitudes that are neither healthy to him or herself or anyone else.

But, for you and me, our job is becoming the nurturing of an unfolding realization that can be understood as a matter of graduating into a more sincere effort to get and keep our colored squares all in the right places. For when this is done, the Holy Spirit is able to shine through with a much greater magnitude.

Consider the past and the history. People believed that the Earth was flat and that it was the center of the Universe. We now know this is not the way things are. Yet, the Holy Spirit still filled people who lived under such misconceptions. We will say that their "squares" were fairly mixed up. But, it still illumined them, just the same.

So, in the context of the thread topic, we don't regard scripture as the objectified source of Light, Life and Love. It cannot be. That would be making a "golden calf" idol of it. Instead, we learn to trust that there is an inner reality of Self that connects to and becomes what it is supposed to become - the true and actual source of Light, Life and Love.

When we do this, the bible then becomes a very valuable tool, somewhat like a mirror that offers an objective reflection of this inner reality. The reflection isn't perfect. It is a book. It is limited text. But, it can serve as a most excellent guide.

Its guidance assists in developing an inner structure that serves to conduct the Holy Spirit.

To those who try to take scripture out of context - and I mean the context of time and experience and belief that existed at the time it was written - I can only offer this:

God; Christ; the Holy Spirit exists NOW, even in the perfect moment of presence, before you or I can conceive of and recognize it. It is not inside of any book.

Rev. Ken

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#23135 Oct 14, 2012
Caleb wrote:
<quoted text>You are really on the wrong thread. This isn't about your own non-Christian views, it is about the irrefutable FACT that the Bible repeatedly condemns all homosexual behavior in the plainest of terms and in both Testaments:

Leviticus 18:22 - You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination.
Leviticus 20:13 - If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their blood guiltiness is upon them.
Romans 1:26-27 - For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error.
I Corinthians 6:9 (NIV)- Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
I Timothy 1:8-11 (NASB)- "But we know that the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully, realizing the fact that law is not made for a righteous person, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers and immoral men and homosexuals and kidnappers and liars and perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound teaching, according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, with which I have been entrusted."

Leviticus was a hygiene book. It was written by Hebrews 500 years before Christ, and included many things besides those, all of which are ridiculous when held in context with today's society.

Corinthians, Romans, and Timothy were written by ancient Greeks who, at the time of writing, did not have a word for homosexuality because it was not required. This proves that the bible was rewritten over and over for the needs of men.

“You wish you were here!!”

Since: May 09

The OC

#23136 Oct 14, 2012
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>I disagree. Paul was a very savvy individual.
You see I've asked a lot of knowledgeable people about many of the things Paul wrote. Once I understood what is accepted by many as his original intent I understood his writings better.
And yes I'm one of those people that often gets ticked off when people use 'original intent' to establish a premise for their interpretation of the Constitution.
But here's where it gets a bit tricky. I know that much of what is in the Bible is from interpretation of foreign languages from ancient texts.
I also know that much of the Bible (like the U.S. Constitution) was established from consensus. But I can read the U.S. Constitution in it's original language and go from there. I can't do that with the Bible.
I also believe (and snyper needs to look away at this point) that Paul's writings have value. I even think Paul believed he was inspired by the Holy Spirit.
But that raises another issue. It would seem (based on the number of different Christian sects and denominations), that the Holy Spirit and visitation by it are a very personal issue. Not one to be taken up by everyone else. I believe that is one of the massages Jesus spoke about.
So I have to rely on my faith in GOD first, and use my personal experience in life, prayer and meditation as a filter.
I've tried to explain before why Unitarian/Universalist ideology suits me. It's because it leaves all the hard questions up to me. And I think that is where "morality" really comes in.
My morals differ from other people in some areas. But for the most part my "morality" is pretty basic to most societies. Will I feel comfortable facing myself in the mirror tomorrow morning?
Society can't really answer that last question about itself because as a society we usually think of ourselves and our friends and family first. To me morality comes when you ask yourself how you're going to treat the people you disagree with or who tick you off.
And in that respect, EVERY society has usually been pretty bad in practicing THAT morality.
Well that is all great but the what the original posters stated was the "its okay to be gay" issue was at its core about what one believes the Bible to be. And you still have proven his point. You have a different perspective on the authority of Scripture that one who you would probably refer to as a "literalist". As you wrote your religion leaves the hard questions up to you.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#23137 Oct 15, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Well that is all great but the what the original posters stated was the "its okay to be gay" issue was at its core about what one believes the Bible to be. And you still have proven his point. You have a different perspective on the authority of Scripture that one who you would probably refer to as a "literalist". As you wrote your religion leaves the hard questions up to you.
WaterBoarder,

I understand that some believe that the bible is to be regarded as the Primary source of authority. Stemming from this belief, a scholarly effort develops around a literalist or fundamentalist structure of doctrinal belief. The justification is that scripture is divinely inspired.

In this regime of belief, the text of the bible rules all decision-making. It is a valiant attempt at acknowledging an authority greater than the whim of our own will, coupled with a sincere try for acceptance of the realizations gained by those who were closer in time and translation to the original writer's intent.

Wouldn't we all be better disciples of Christ if we could go back 2000 years and find ourselves seated at the feet of the Master?

Well,.... maybe yes and then, maybe no.

It really depends on how much we are willing to trust in the actual presence of the Holy Spirit at this very moment.

The fundamentalist/literalist makes exactly the same mistake that he accuses the interpreter of making. He views authority as something that can be objectively identified, i.e. the divinely inspired book that sits on our desk. The interpreter, on the other hand, views authority as something that cannot be written down - it must be Greater than any finite or limited set of conditions.

Both claim to identify authority. Both claim to figure out what is Truth.

Here is the fundamental question, WaterBoarder:

Until YOU, personally, have achieved perfection, how can you avoid making mistakes?

It is a realization of the parable or the example of first taking the log out of your own eye.

You and I are both interpreters, whether we choose to take the scripture as literally as we can possibly imagine or to use it as an excellent guide, understanding that it cannot be regarded as any sort of perfected object.

Either way, the hard questions are still subjective and we all have to face them within ourselves.

Rev. Ken

“Trolls are Clueless”

Aptos, California

#23138 Oct 15, 2012
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear LuLu,
From my experience, the literalist/fundamentalist does not actually deny the Holy Spirit. He or she forces it to jump through hoops.
What this type of religious person does it to attempt to objectify the Holy Spirit as something outside of oneself.
In a sense, it is easier for them to deposit a measure of faith into something they can see and touch - the bible and its tangible text - rather than believe in an actual spiritual presence. But, this is ironic in the extreme because the scripture clearly presents any number of situations and recounts experiences showing the Holy Spirit to be an integral presence with and within the individual. In other words, the Holy Spirit functions and guides the individual from within as well as from without.
Example: Philip on the road to Damascus is guided to the Ethiopian eunuch in order to instruct and to baptize him.
Another example: The Holy Spirit "descends" upon Jesus as he comes up out of the River Jordan.
Another example: Stephen is filled with the Holy Spirit as he is stoned to death.
The Holy Spirit is like a rheostat knob that turns up the electrical current from within the light bulb. You are the light bulb.
I have known fundamentalist/literalists who are filled with the Holy Spirit. There just is no question about it. But, they still hold onto the bible as a framework of theological belief and they still have some very goofy beliefs. So, what they are doing is forcing the Holy Spirit to address them through this framework. Is their spirituality real? Yes, it is. But, it is both qualified and restricted by their structured belief.
Understanding this, one can see that the disciple of Christ can come forward in many different forms and visages. You might liken each of us to a Rubik's cube that has not been fully rearranged to have all of the colored squares in the right places. Still the Holy Spirit can light this cube and use it to bring Light, Life and Love into this world.
Such a person can also hold onto some very negative beliefs and attitudes that are neither healthy to him or herself or anyone else.
But, for you and me, our job is becoming the nurturing of an unfolding realization that can be understood as a matter of graduating into a more sincere effort to get and keep our colored squares all in the right places. For when this is done, the Holy Spirit is able to shine through with a much greater magnitude.
Consider the past and the history. People believed that the Earth was flat and that it was the center of the Universe. We now know this is not the way things are. Yet, the Holy Spirit still filled people who lived under such misconceptions. We will say that their "squares" were fairly mixed up. But, it still illumined them, just the same.
So, in the context of the thread topic, we don't regard scripture as the objectified source of Light, Life and Love. It cannot be. That would be making a "golden calf" idol of it. Instead, we learn to trust that there is an inner reality of Self that connects to and becomes what it is supposed to become - the true and actual source of Light, Life and Love.
When we do this, the bible then becomes a very valuable tool, somewhat like a mirror that offers an objective reflection of this inner reality. The reflection isn't perfect. It is a book. It is limited text. But, it can serve as a most excellent guide.
Its guidance assists in developing an inner structure that serves to conduct the Holy Spirit.
To those who try to take scripture out of context - and I mean the context of time and experience and belief that existed at the time it was written - I can only offer this:
God; Christ; the Holy Spirit exists NOW, even in the perfect moment of presence, before you or I can conceive of and recognize it. It is not inside of any book.
Rev. Ken
Let's say their God is too small.

The Mountain Empire

#23139 Oct 15, 2012
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>I can always tell when I've posted something that trips David Moore's "faith" up. He starts in on his "you're on the wrong thread" BS and then jumps to declaring what the subject of the thread is.
Especially in context.

He's never once responded to what I post, only telling me (a striaght but not narrow male) what a homo-facist I am.

LOL.........

The Mountain Empire

#23140 Oct 15, 2012
LuLu Ford wrote:
<quoted text>
I've got to go with Rev Ken, they try to control the Spirit to fit their needs.

I recall Jesus saying this was the one unforgivable sin....

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#23141 Oct 15, 2012
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear LuLu,
Rev. Ken
Just thought this post should be repeated. It's brilliant.

Big red heart my friend.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#23142 Oct 15, 2012
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>

I can almost see the interns and nurses restraing David Moore again as he goes into conniptions after reading this post!

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#23143 Oct 15, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
I also wrote I worship God and not some book cobbled together by a politically appointed blue ribbon panel of religious "experts" from 1700 years ago.

I fail to see how that proves their point.

Location hidden

#23145 Oct 15, 2012
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
I've got to go with Rev Ken, they try to control the Spirit to fit their needs.
I recall Jesus saying this was the one unforgivable sin....
For sure.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#23146 Oct 15, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
For sure.
spread the word:

South Africa officially recognizes gay pride flag

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/gay/TR45IAC89 ...

The bigots can no longer say there is no connection between the black struggle for rights and ours.

Unless they want to claim blacks weren't mistreated in South Africa!

Location hidden

#23147 Oct 15, 2012
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>spread the word:
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/gay/TR45IAC89 ...
The bigots can no longer say there is no connection between the black struggle for rights and ours.
Unless they want to claim blacks weren't mistreated in South Africa!
Indeed!

“Trolls are Clueless”

Aptos, California

#23148 Oct 15, 2012
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>I can almost see the interns and nurses restraing David Moore again as he goes into conniptions after reading this post!
They will need to give him a few more jolts of electricity.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#23150 Oct 15, 2012
LuLu Ford wrote:
<quoted text>
They will need to give him a few more jolts of electricity.
spread the word:

Let them try to stop schools from teaching this during Black History Month!

South Africa has recognized it’s own version of the rainbow gay pride flag as an officially registered national symbol

http://www.topix.com/news/gay/2012/10/south-a...

The bigots can no longer say there is no connection between the black struggle for rights and ours. Unless they want to claim blacks didn't suffer under apartheid.

Ths is also interesting:
Scientists Win Nobel Prize, Benefit Gay Parents
http://www.topix.com/news/gay/2012/10/scienti...

and:
Pennsylvania Looking to Ban ‘Ex-Gay’ Conversion Therapy. A similar bill is also being worked on in New Jersey.

http://www.topix.com/news/gay/2012/10/pennsyl...

This should be good for a few extra thousand volts on goatboy!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News HIV rates dropping for U.K. gay men 4 min Lamar 1
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 11 min Aquarius-WY 14,000
News Getting used to gay unions 13 min Frankie Rizzo 9
News Aboriginal drag queen bringing gay pride to reg... 17 min Hoss Lightfoot 20
News Roy Moore accuser says she was not paid to tell... 25 min moore4prison 35
The Spectrum Cafe (Dec '07) 28 min Fabio 26,557
News This Thanksgiving, I'm thankful for being born gay 2 hr GodSmacked 75
Roy Moore.....Just Another Hypocrite 5 hr GodSmacked 112
More from around the web