Rethinking the Bible on homosexuality

Feb 10, 2011 | Posted by: Selecia Jones- JAX FL | Full story: religion.blogs.cnn.com

We often hears that Christians have no choice but to regard homosexuality as a sin - that Scripture simply demands it.

Comments
22,261 - 22,280 of 22,378 Comments Last updated Oct 25, 2012

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2012

MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
YES!
I mean really now!!!! ROTFLMAO

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2012

Judged:

WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
I mean really now!!!! ROTFLMAO
It's those manly dogs his has instead of his children.

And did I see eye liner...

;-)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2012

Judged:

MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
It's those manly dogs his has instead of his children.
And did I see eye liner...
;-)
Not sure, just something about the look in his eyes.

DNF

“Religious Freedom to Marry”

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Judged:

WasteWater wrote:
Does this look like a gay man to you?
http://www.myspace.com/loveoneanother55/photo...
I'd say it's along the lines of a bear in the woods or would a dick in his mouth make him look gay?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Jedi Mind_Tricker wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, if it were not, then you would not be looking.
Not really, just saying.....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Judged:

DNF wrote:
<quoted text>I'd say it's along the lines of a bear in the woods or would a dick in his mouth make him look gay?
He looks like the kind of man who would enjoy a dick in his mouth if he weren't so hung up on stupid stuff.

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Judged:

WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
He looks like the kind of man who would enjoy a dick in his mouth if he weren't so hung up on stupid stuff.
well then how about we just agree it's a bear in the woods with his dick in his mouth hoping no one knows his boyfriend is gay...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Judged:

DNF wrote:
<quoted text>well then how about we just agree it's a bear in the woods with his dick in his mouth hoping no one knows his boyfriend is gay...
No doubt.... ROTFLMAO
Corbin

Pekin, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Judged:

WasteWater wrote:
Does this look like a gay man to you?
http://www.myspace.com/loveoneanother55/photo...
Claiming someone shares your God-forbidden perversion really is your worst insult. Do you know how that makes YOU look?

Do you think your hateful fantasies about others somehow change the FACT that the Bible repeatedly condemns all homosexual behavior in the plainest of terms and in both Testaments?

You have failed to make any rational case against this FACT.

The Mountain Empire

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

Corbin wrote:
<quoted text>Claiming someone shares your God-forbidden perversion really is your worst insult. Do you know how that makes YOU look?
Do you think your hateful fantasies about others somehow change the FACT that the Bible repeatedly condemns all homosexual behavior in the plainest of terms and in both Testaments?
Seek therapy, David, for GOD'S sake!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
Seek therapy, David, for GOD'S sake!
He should do it for his own sake instead of living in a delusional fantasy world.

The Mountain Empire

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
He should do it for his own sake instead of living in a delusional fantasy world.
True and it would stop his spreading hatred in the name of God.

Poor David, emotionally, spiritually, mentally bankrupt.........

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

Blayse wrote:
<quoted text>It isn't clear who removes the posts exposing the fraud and hate at the base of your horrible hate based radical homosexual movement. Clearly removal is against Topix rules. The fact remains that a huge number of posts exposing the fraud you espouse disappear.
Face reality, there is no rational case against the fact that the Bible repeatedly condemns all homosexual behavior.
You need to re-read the terms of service. You also need to understand the functions of a Topix "Editor" , like me, the "Moderator", which I'm not and the staff that handles what are determined to be violation of the Terms of Service.

Violating the TOS is the only way, aside from a glitch or hacking, for a post to disappear and the ONLY CAUSE FOR REMOVING ANY POST.

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

Blayse wrote:
<quoted text>Lying about my name doesn't cover up the issue. Posts fully complying with Topix Terms but exposing the hate, lies, and deception that lie at the base of your horrible hate based radical homosexual movement often disappear. The situation has improved somewhat, but still exists. It's unclear if the deleted posts are the result of homofascist Topix employees breaking the rules or if it is hackers.
Now, do you think your off topic post has in some way covered up the fact that EVERY Bible translation, ancient Bible text, and Judeo Christian tradition support the Bible's many explicit commands against homosexual behavior?
LITANY AGAINST FEAR

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

“You wish you were here!!”

Since: May 09

The OC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

DNF wrote:
<quoted text>I find it interesting that you'll use a few passages about homosexual acts that are probably badly translated and misinterpreted as the litmus test for everyone to use to decide if they are "cherry picking" the Bible. You're basically cherry picking which verses you'll use to decide if someone is following God's will or not. And you use your favorite verses to determine the degree of faith others put into what the Bible says. I'm always in awe when I come across someone who knows which version is the right one or which denomination is "the true faith"
It's pretty clear that once Saul came along and declared himself an apostle, a lot of what Jesus taught got "revised" to fit Paul's ideology. Then after 300 years of in-fighting, Emperor Constantine decides he'll fix everything by creating a blue ribbon panel to address the problems.
If you want to worship a book instead of God, that's your business. But please stop saying everyone else isn't following "God's Word" because they aren't using YOUR standards.
You just proved his point by referring to Paul as Saul. You don't believe the Bible. You believe some ot it and omit others...including the ones that are "probably" badly translated.

“You wish you were here!!”

Since: May 09

The OC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible contains all things necessary for setting oneself upon one's own path toward salvation.
But this it is not: "... the accurate, unchanging and final word on whatever topic it addresses."
It was NEVER intended to be this.
"One's own path toward salvation"? Salvation from what?

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
You just proved his point by referring to Paul as Saul. You don't believe the Bible. You believe some ot it and omit others...including the ones that are "probably" badly translated.
I disagree. Paul was a very savvy individual.

You see I've asked a lot of knowledgeable people about many of the things Paul wrote. Once I understood what is accepted by many as his original intent I understood his writings better.

And yes I'm one of those people that often gets ticked off when people use 'original intent' to establish a premise for their interpretation of the Constitution.

But here's where it gets a bit tricky. I know that much of what is in the Bible is from interpretation of foreign languages from ancient texts.

I also know that much of the Bible (like the U.S. Constitution) was established from consensus. But I can read the U.S. Constitution in it's original language and go from there. I can't do that with the Bible.

I also believe (and snyper needs to look away at this point) that Paul's writings have value. I even think Paul believed he was inspired by the Holy Spirit.

But that raises another issue. It would seem (based on the number of different Christian sects and denominations), that the Holy Spirit and visitation by it are a very personal issue. Not one to be taken up by everyone else. I believe that is one of the massages Jesus spoke about.

So I have to rely on my faith in GOD first, and use my personal experience in life, prayer and meditation as a filter.

I've tried to explain before why Unitarian/Universalist ideology suits me. It's because it leaves all the hard questions up to me. And I think that is where "morality" really comes in.

My morals differ from other people in some areas. But for the most part my "morality" is pretty basic to most societies. Will I feel comfortable facing myself in the mirror tomorrow morning?

Society can't really answer that last question about itself because as a society we usually think of ourselves and our friends and family first. To me morality comes when you ask yourself how you're going to treat the people you disagree with or who tick you off.

And in that respect, EVERY society has usually been pretty bad in practicing THAT morality.

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

OOOPSSS! messages Jesus spoke of not MASSAGES!

LOL

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
True and it would stop his spreading hatred in the name of God.
Poor David, emotionally, spiritually, mentally bankrupt.........
Indeed, spiritual bankruptcy abounds.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

Corbin wrote:
<quoted text>Claiming someone shares your God-forbidden perversion really is your worst insult. Do you know how that makes YOU look?
We all know you are insulted by who you really are David.

Your mental illness has not gone unnoticed.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••