Rethinking the Bible on homosexuality

Rethinking the Bible on homosexuality

There are 22386 comments on the religion.blogs.cnn.com story from Feb 10, 2011, titled Rethinking the Bible on homosexuality. In it, religion.blogs.cnn.com reports that:

We often hears that Christians have no choice but to regard homosexuality as a sin - that Scripture simply demands it.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at religion.blogs.cnn.com.

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#22327 Jul 2, 2012
Blayse wrote:
Thanks for exposing the radical homosexual cause as bigoted, ignorant, and hate based.
What did I say that I "hate"? Could you point it out for me, with some degree of specifics?

Other people are watching, you should at least ACT like you understand your own claims. Where was my "hate"? What did I direct it toward?

I'm just curious about what we perceive, and how we perceive it. Have you ever seen an angel? I haven't. How would I know if I saw one? Why is it "hateful" just to ask?

You don't know.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#22328 Jul 2, 2012
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
What did I say that I "hate"? Could you point it out for me, with some degree of specifics?
Other people are watching, you should at least ACT like you understand your own claims. Where was my "hate"? What did I direct it toward?
I'm just curious about what we perceive, and how we perceive it. Have you ever seen an angel? I haven't. How would I know if I saw one? Why is it "hateful" just to ask?
You don't know.
I didn't see anything fitting that description in what you previously posted either. Perhaps Manito is one of those sick people who think others hate them whenever they encounter others who have a contrary opinion.

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#22329 Jul 2, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
I didn't see anything fitting that description in what you previously posted either. Perhaps Manito is one of those sick people who think others hate them whenever they encounter others who have a contrary opinion.
I'm starting to think he might be an Ambien-dependent sleep-typist. It would explain the disconnect!

I don't know if he thinks I hate HIM personally, or Christianity, or Christians themselves, or America, or what. I can't figure it out!

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#22330 Jul 2, 2012
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm starting to think he might be an Ambien-dependent sleep-typist. It would explain the disconnect!
I don't know if he thinks I hate HIM personally, or Christianity, or Christians themselves, or America, or what. I can't figure it out!
He just has a loop running in his head. Various works pop out as the hamsters run around inside.
Happy July 4

Lacon, IL

#22331 Jul 3, 2012
To date, no one has been able to cite even one Bible translation, ancient Bible text, or Judeo-Christian tradition that places the Bible's condemnations of homosexual behavior in question.

Leviticus 18:22 - You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination.

Leviticus 20:13 - If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their blood guiltiness is upon them.

Romans 1:26-27 - For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error.

I Corinthians 6:9 (NIV)- Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

I Timothy 1:8-11 (NASB)- "But we know that the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully, realizing the fact that law is not made for a righteous person, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers and immoral men and homosexuals and kidnappers and liars and perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound teaching, according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, with which I have been entrusted."

Jesus said, "If you love me, keep my commands."

Why not declare independence from Satan today and leave homosexuality forever?

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#22332 Jul 3, 2012
Happy July 4 wrote:
Why not declare independence from Satan today and leave homosexuality forever?
You first.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#22333 Jul 3, 2012
Happy July 4 wrote:
Why not declare independence from Satan today and leave homosexuality forever?
Exodus International Rejects Reparative Therapy for Gays
Chambers told The Christian Post on Thursday that reparative therapy, which seeks to "cure" SSA through activities like counseling and prayer, sets the person seeking therapy up for failure by giving him or her unrealistic expectations.
Chambers says anyone who still believes in reparative therapy will still be able to minister with Exodus, but the organization will no longer support such practice.
http://www.christianpost.com/news/exodus-inte...
Happy July 4

Lacon, IL

#22334 Jul 3, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
You first.
Your worst insult is always to try to project your hated perversion. That doesn't work, in only makes YOU look pathetic.

You also misrepresent Exodus:

http://exodusXinternational.org/find-help/hel... (remove the X)

Theologically, a 'cure' of homosexual desire is not required by God. He only commands that all homosexual behavior be abstained from forever. That really is no different from God's commands against other prohibited sexual activity.

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#22335 Jul 3, 2012
Happy July 4 wrote:
cite even one Bible translation...that places the Bible's condemnations of homosexual behavior in question.
Numbers 22:28-30

Animals do not talk. The bible is utter BS. The whole book is in question, INCLUDING its condmenation of free consenting adults. America and her Constitution do a FAR better job of respecting personal sovereignty and human dignity. They aren't perfect, but it's better than relying on "moral" advice from ghosts and monsters.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#22336 Jul 3, 2012
Happy July 4 wrote:
<quoted text>Your worst insult is always to try to project your hated perversion. That doesn't work, in only makes YOU look pathetic.
You also misrepresent Exodus:
http://exodusXinternational.org/find-help/hel... (remove the X)
Theologically, a 'cure' of homosexual desire is not required by God. He only commands that all homosexual behavior be abstained from forever. That really is no different from God's commands against other prohibited sexual activity.
You always are insulted by truth.

The fact is your interpretation of the Bible is so warped, and your God so small, that whatever you have to say is totally worthless.

Keep drooling though. I enjoy seeing you wallow in self pity.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#22337 Jul 3, 2012
Chambers says you can't pray gay away David.

"Chambers told The Christian Post on Thursday that reparative therapy, which seeks to "cure" SSA through activities like counseling and prayer, sets the person seeking therapy up for failure by giving him or her unrealistic expectations."

http://www.christianpost.com/news/exodus-inte...

The TRUTH is I have handed you your ass on a platter and refuted everything you have ever said time and time again.

Can I help it if you are mentally ill?

That isn't my problem is it.
Happy July 4

Lacon, IL

#22338 Jul 3, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
You always are insulted by truth.
The fact is your interpretation of the Bible is so warped, and your God so small, that whatever you have to say is totally worthless.
Keep drooling though. I enjoy seeing you wallow in self pity.
You have failed to make any rational case for ANY 'interpretation' being needed to explain the Bible's many direct commands against all homosexual behavior, much less any alternative 'interpretation.'

EVERY Bible translation, ancient Bible text, and centuries of Christian and Jewish teaching and practice support the Bible's commands against all homosexual behavior.

You have presented positively no credible alternative.

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#22339 Jul 3, 2012
Happy July 4 wrote:
<quoted text>You have failed to make any rational case for ANY 'interpretation' being needed to explain the Bible's many direct commands against all homosexual behavior, much less any alternative 'interpretation.'
EVERY Bible translation, ancient Bible text, and centuries of Christian and Jewish teaching and practice support the Bible's commands against all homosexual behavior.
You have presented positively no credible alternative.
So hate gay people all you want. The snake said so, the donkey confirmed it, so go nuts. Go put some gay people to death, like you've been commanded. You know you want to.

“Stop the liberal madness”

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#22340 Jul 3, 2012
LuLu Ford wrote:
<quoted text>
I would call promoting personal freedom patriotism. If you want to call it an agenda, I don't care. Your comments about the president are goofy. You have been listening to too much talk radio. That stuff rots the mind.
What rots the mind is when you denoiunce God and the the bible.

Do not insult me by telling me that you are not glued to Rachal Maddow and the other leftists.

ONLY difference is I watch honest and non bias media while you watch leftist agenda media.

“Stop the liberal madness”

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#22341 Jul 3, 2012
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
So hate gay people all you want. The snake said so, the donkey confirmed it, so go nuts. Go put some gay people to death, like you've been commanded. You know you want to.
" Go put some gay people to death, like you've been commanded. You know you want to"

Interesting and yet you libs will side with muslims who want to do just that and well on their way to spreading Sharia law in Europe and want to do same in America.

Christians reject your attack on us but we do not want to put anyone to death.
Being against your destruction of the sacrament of marriage is not same as wanting to put anyone to death.

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#22342 Jul 3, 2012
luv Sarah Palin wrote:
" Go put some gay people to death, like you've been commanded. You know you want to"
Interesting and yet you libs will side with muslims who want to do just that and well on their way to spreading Sharia law in Europe and want to do same in America.
No one is "siding" with Muslims. We side with "religious freedom", something that many Christians would steal away from others if they could.

If Christians want the right to build chapels and churches, then they MUST extend that right to other religions. The freedom to build a mosque does not spread Sharia law. Just like some moderate and liberal Christians, there are Muslims who do NOT support victimizing gay people.

Why not criticize extremist Christians for pushing their own brand of "Sharia"? I don't need to be FORCED to live according to the rules of YOUR religion. These rules are supposed to be VOLUNTARY for the adherents of the religion. You wouldn't like that treatment from Muslims, obviously. Why support it from your own religion?
luv Sarah Palin wrote:
Christians reject your attack on us but we do not want to put anyone to death.
Oh, so you're saying that the bible was WRONG to call for that?
luv Sarah Palin wrote:
Being against your destruction of the sacrament of marriage is not same as wanting to put anyone to death.
I don't know what a "sacrament" is, and I don't care. Whatever it is, it has nothing to do with marriage. Such supernatural terms have nothing to do with civil government at ALL.

There will be no destruction to marriage. What will be destroyed is the climate of homophobia that is perpetuated on religious motivations. Most humans share the desire to pair up with a loved one, which makes life easier to navigate. Marriage makes people happier, healthier, and more successful. Our lives together are strengthened by the legal bond of marriage which prevents outsiders from interfering with the legal authority we give one another. This will not change.

You simply don't want gay people to participate.
BUZZZZ BUZZZZ BUZZZZ

Lacon, IL

#22343 Jul 3, 2012
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>Most humans share the desire to pair up with a loved one, which makes life easier to navigate. Marriage makes people happier, healthier, and more successful. Our lives together are strengthened by the legal bond of marriage which prevents outsiders from interfering with the legal authority we give one another. This will not change.
You simply don't want gay people to participate.
LIE DETECTOR!!!

This repeat liar knows well enough that know significant percent of the homosexual population has ever 'married,' and that a radical homosexual study of homomarriage indicates that few such relationships are even exclusive in nature.

It is dishonest to claim that anything homosexual is like a real marriage.

It is dishonest to claim that homosexuals 'pair' like other people. US Census Data prove that few adults of the same gender form households. Of course many of those who do are NOT homosexuals, such as graduate students and others on a budget.

There is no rational argument for homosexual 'marriage.'

Homosexual 'marriage' has been OVERWHELMINGLY rejected as an actual by homosexuals in EVERY country that allows it.

As usually, this liar avoided that actual thread topic: The Bible repeatedly condemns all homosexual behavior in the plainest of terms and in both Testaments. There is no rational basis for rejecting this fact.

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#22344 Jul 3, 2012
BUZZZZ BUZZZZ BUZZZZ wrote:
LIE DETECTOR!!!
This repeat liar knows well enough that know significant percent of the homosexual population has ever 'married,'
I don't know this at all. YOU'VE made this claim, and I've asked you to back it up with some solid statistics, or a link to some studies, or SOMETHING, but you always ditch out on that request. Don't invent your OWN statistics and just EXPECT people to believe you.
BUZZZZ BUZZZZ BUZZZZ wrote:
and that a radical homosexual study of homomarriage indicates that few such relationships are even exclusive in nature.
WHAT study? Could you provide a LINK, please?
BUZZZZ BUZZZZ BUZZZZ wrote:
US Census Data prove that few adults of the same gender form households.
US Census Data has POOR, POOR information on same-sex couples. They don't even ASK for that. Where do you GET your information?

But of course, he'll never tell. That's a SECRET. Or false.
BUZZZZ BUZZZZ BUZZZZ wrote:
The Bible repeatedly condemns all homosexual behavior in the plainest of terms and in both Testaments. There is no rational basis for rejecting this fact.
Animals don't talk. Bible rejected.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#22345 Jul 3, 2012
Manito Manurehead - BUZZZZ BUZZZZ BUZZZZing wrote:
<quoted text>LIE DETECTOR!!!
This repeat liar knows well enough that know significant percent of the homosexual population has ever 'married,' and that a radical homosexual study of homomarriage indicates that few such relationships are even exclusive in nature.
It is dishonest to claim that anything homosexual is like a real marriage.
It is dishonest to claim that homosexuals 'pair' like other people. US Census Data prove that few adults of the same gender form households. Of course many of those who do are NOT homosexuals, such as graduate students and others on a budget.
There is no rational argument for homosexual 'marriage.'
Homosexual 'marriage' has been OVERWHELMINGLY rejected as an actual by homosexuals in EVERY country that allows it.
As usually, this liar avoided that actual thread topic: The Bible repeatedly condemns all homosexual behavior in the plainest of terms and in both Testaments. There is no rational basis for rejecting this fact.
LOL!!!....

Dear Edmond,

Looks like you rang his bell and pushed his button!

Of the ten fragments and sentences posted above by the Manito Manurehead, only 2 are anywhere near factual or truthful.

Manurehead wrote,

"US Census Data prove that few adults of the same gender form households. Of course many of those who do are NOT homosexuals, such as graduate students and others on a budget."

The idea and practice of marrying two of the same sex was apparently known to the Church many centuries ago. But, the practice has since disappeared. It needs to be revived.

A good place for its revival would be within the Roman Catholic Church where many of its priests are lovers. Marry them and bring them out in the open as a married couple. The honesty would go very far toward healing this 1.1 billion member Christian denomination.

As for The Episcopal Church, we can shortcut the process by offering to take in Roman Catholic Church priest-couples and marrying them. Then they should serve a working probationary sabbatical in our Church as a married couple for a few years before petitioning to return to the Roman Church as a pair of priests, also married. This would continue the Roman practice of allowing married priests from TEC to convert and serve in Catholicism.

As for the claims made by the MManurehead above....

... Mostly bigoted hogwash that denies the evolution and advancement of the spirituality and redemption of mankind in all of our normal, natural sexual expression.

His mindset is of a long past, functionally obsolete, tribal superstition and taboo, which is now a matter of institutionalized hypocrisy and morally bankrupt bigotry.

Not once in the New Testament is the Word of God, Christ Jesus, ever quoted in condemnation of committed same-sex relationship. And of his priests and our right to marry those we deem capable of honoring the commitments of sacramental marriage, Jesus said, "What you bind in Heaven shall be bound both in Heaven and in Earth."

Hear and Understand.

So let it be done, in the Name of Christ Jesus. Amen.

Rev. Ken
A priest and disciple of Christ Jesus.
BUZZZZ BUZZZZ BUZZZZ

Lacon, IL

#22346 Jul 3, 2012
LiarEdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know this at all. YOU'VE made this claim, and I've asked you to back it up with some solid statistics, or a link to some studies, or SOMETHING, but you always ditch out on that request. Don't invent your OWN statistics and just EXPECT people to believe you.
<quoted text>
WHAT study? Could you provide a LINK, please?
<quoted text>
US Census Data has POOR, POOR information on same-sex couples. They don't even ASK for that. Where do you GET your information?
But of course, he'll never tell. That's a SECRET. Or false.
<quoted text>
Animals don't talk. Bible rejected.
You are of course LYING. I've provided links to data from a number of countries. Homosexual 'marriage' is a cruel lie with no real basis in how homosexuals live. You can't document ANY country where fewer than 97% of homosexuals haven't REJECTED homomarriage as an actual practice. That fact leaves your hate based political charade exposed as a cruel lie and a fraud.

US Census data enumerates the number of households including people of the same gender with no blood relationship stated. While that does not accurately identify the exact number of homosexuals living together, it completely exposes the FACT that there are very few in such living situations. Their numbers include graduate students and others just sharing expenses, and no doubt homosexuals who are in no sort of exclusive relationship.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/29/us/29sfmetr...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Judge jails Kentucky clerk for refusing marriag... 2 min Just Think 304
News With clerk jailed, gay Kentucky couple gets mar... 18 min Rainbow Kid 25
News Mormons keep affiliation with Boy Scouts despit... 1 hr tongangodz 5
News Mormon church backs Utah LGBT anti-discriminati... (Mar '15) 1 hr tongangodz 7,312
News With clerk jailed, gay Kentucky couples get mar... 1 hr Rainbow Kid 12
News Kentucky clerk defies order, refuses to issue s... 2 hr nuk pu nuk 737
News The Latest: Husband: Kentucky clerk is 'standin... 2 hr GOD loves GAYS mo... 76
News Same-sex marriage fight turns to clerk who refu... 5 hr Terra Firma 3,684
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 7 hr NoahLikesPi 26,030
News Mike Huckabee says Hillary Clinton should go to... 7 hr Synque 65
More from around the web