Study: More Than 70 Countries Make Being Gay A Crime

Aug 1, 2010 Full story: Towleroad 12

"A comprehensive study of global lesbian, bisexual and gay rights, seen by The Independent on Sunday, reveals the brutal - " and, in many instances, fatal - " price people pay around the globe for their sexuality.

Full Story
Not duped

Grove City, PA

#1 Aug 1, 2010
And you gays think American Christians are bad.

Since: Feb 08

Iowa City, Ia.

#2 Aug 1, 2010
Yes, some other countries are worse. This article is kinda worthless since it didn't have the list of countries anywhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_by_c...

Interesting how being gay is illegal and punishable by death in the parts of the world dominated by religious law. Same parts of the world where female genital mutilation is common, and 9 year old girls can be married off to 50 year olds with 5 wives already. Interesting that that part of the world abhors the condom on religious grounds and has the highest rate of AIDS and teenage pregnancy and rape.

Yes, we should strive to make America a beacon of human rights. If not for other countries to follow suit, then for refugees to find a safe place to call home, as we all deserve.

“The Buybull is innerrrent.”

Since: Jun 08

Pennsburg, PA

#3 Aug 1, 2010
Not duped wrote:
And you gays think American Christians are bad.
No liar, no one has a problem with Christians. The problem is you bigoted, fundie talibangelicals. In this country you are mostly uber "Christians," but there are bigoted, fundie talibangelicals in the other Abrahamic religions, too.

The only reason we can say the xstain talibangelical bigots aren't as bad as their counterparts in less educated societies is that here in the US we have a secular tradition, and laws, to keep you talibangelical "Christians" in check from carrying out the sorts of bigotries you would if you could.

Since: Apr 07

Philadelphia, PA

#4 Aug 2, 2010
Not duped wrote:
And you gays think American Christians are bad.
Of course they are. Your statement is horrifically misleading in that it asks us to posit that there is more than one type of HUMAN BEING and that America is some "great bastion" of equality. You didn't say any of that, but it's clear by implication.

The implication, you say, is that American "christians" are "not so bad." That's got nothing to do with them, but with the law.

The LAW in these other countries allows for punishment by death of lesbian and gay people. It is not difficult to surmise *in point of fact* that if American "christians" could get away with that, they would. Of *COURSE* they would make it punishable by death, the most extreme among them.

How do we know this? Because those extremists are the ones screaming and screaming and screaming that GAY MARRIAGE IS CAUSING THE DOOM OF CIVILIZATION when *evidence has now shown us that it doesn't*... not that we ever needed that evidence. That evidence was 100.0% unneeded, but now it exists anyway.

No, the American "christians" are equally as bad. It's American IDEALS and American LAW which prohibit them from putting to death the lesbian and gay people *their daily actions show* they so clearly, clearly hate ... hate ... hate.

Thanks for reading.

Since: Apr 07

Philadelphia, PA

#5 Aug 2, 2010
Imagine someone in this thread pretending those American "christians" are somehow "more noble." If they were noble, they'd be supporting gay marriage rather than, like shockingly worthless morons, pretending they can *condemn gay people for sex outside marriage* while denying them the institution.

Please, don't act like those uneducated jackasses are doing anyone any favors. The truth is clear, and they're so stupid, so jaw-droppingly stupid, that they'll continue *to prove that truth today, and tomorrow*, and on, and on, and on.

We can pretend to be *saying* certain things about them, but their actions speak clearly, and that's all anyone needs to know, end of statement.

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#6 Aug 2, 2010
There's not just a few in this country who are resentful that it's no longer criminal here.
Not duped wrote:
And you gays think American Christians are bad.
Mona Lott

Jackson, NJ

#7 Aug 2, 2010
Not duped wrote:
And you gays think American Christians are bad.
Yes. The entire planet would be a better place without them and their stupid fairy-tale lies.

Since: Apr 07

Philadelphia, PA

#8 Aug 2, 2010
Another stupid, mouthy priest came out in some article today claiming that "catholics are duty-bound" to oppose gay marriage. Who are these people kidding? He's *threatening* people and attempting to *force* them to oppose it? Please, stop the ignorant, see-through claims that there is any reason to be "thankful" toward these so-called "christians." They have mental problems and they keep trying to poison others in the same way they've poisoned their own wretched, sick minds.

I am under no illusion whatsoever that I have to listen to one *word* of that priest's bullshit. I reject it as easily and as effortlessly as any thinking person would properly reject the rotting stink of evil. And if anyone else is stupid enough to listen to him, then I have every right to oppose and reject them, as well. There is no more discussion on this matter. If you side with evil, you are rejected and opposed outright and nonstop, the end.

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#9 Aug 2, 2010
Not duped wrote:
And you gays think American Christians are bad.
Are you bragging?

Are we supposed to say "Gee, you're right, it's so much worse off in the rest of the world, you go right ahead standing in the way of our quest for equal rights, we should have known how good we have it, we'll shut up and sit down now!"?
Skeptical

Townsend, DE

#10 Aug 2, 2010
Not duped wrote:
And you gays think American Christians are bad.
Well seeing as how there are many here that glorify the laws of Iran, Saudi Arabia and others against gays, and want to contaminate our free nation with such ideologies, yes I would say some American Christians are just as bad. Too bad we can't ship those types over there.
Skeptical

Townsend, DE

#11 Aug 2, 2010
Sorry for the double post. My computer gave me a hard time loading the first time.

Since: Apr 07

Philadelphia, PA

#12 Aug 2, 2010
I appreciate the several posters who took that one initial post to task. I don't know whether the poster was well-meaning; I know that the statement was laughable. I am glad to see that three or four people stood up to the statement and refused to fall for it for a minute. Thank you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Two Lesbians, one Gay man elected to Belfast Ci... 18 min rock white 26
Board member opposes teaching definition of gay 26 min Wondering 106
Allowing Blood Donations From Gay Men Could Hel... 49 min Wondering 290
Why Don't Golem Post No More? (May '13) 1 hr Belle Sexton 8
Cops Outnumber Marchers in Belgrade Gay Pride P... 1 hr Belle Sexton 21
State of Alaska defends gay-marriage ban 1 hr Belle Sexton 132
What if high court rejects gay marriage cases? 1 hr Speedieg 1
Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? 8 hr BARTHOLOMEW 2,248

Gay/Lesbian People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE