Cure for Love: When Sex and Scripture...

Cure for Love: When Sex and Scriptures Clash

There are 10 comments on the blog.nfb.ca story from Dec 13, 2012, titled Cure for Love: When Sex and Scriptures Clash. In it, blog.nfb.ca reports that:

While many films end with weddings, our feature documentary Cure for Love (2008) opens with one.

In appearance, this wedding is like any other. There’s the church, the blushing bride in a white gown, the beaming groom, the assorted friends and relatives.

The reality, however, is a little different. As we soon learn, the groom and bride, Brian and Anna, are both devout evangelical Christians. They are also both gay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at blog.nfb.ca.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#1 Dec 13, 2012
I was a bartender at a gay bar in west Virginia in 1980. There was a gay man and a lesbian that were regulars and they always came in together. They married one another to "please their families". I suppose so each family could say: "SEE ! I told you he and she aren't gay !"

But, as told by them, although they were married and lived in the same house, they maintained separate bedrooms, and seperate sexual lives.

“Petite twink, barely legal”

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#2 Dec 13, 2012
Interesting isn't it, how religion encourages dishonesty.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#3 Dec 13, 2012
Tiny Timmie wrote:
Interesting isn't it, how religion encourages dishonesty.
I don't think it was religion as much as "southern culture" in their case.(Alright, West Virginia was a Union state and is in the north, but you know what I mean).

Since: Apr 08

Chagrin Falls, OH

#4 Dec 13, 2012
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think it was religion as much as "southern culture" in their case.(Alright, West Virginia was a Union state and is in the north, but you know what I mean).
No, it's not a "southern culture" thing. The same pressures exist outside the USA. It's a (fundamentalist) religious thing.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#5 Dec 13, 2012
Gay And Proud wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it's not a "southern culture" thing. The same pressures exist outside the USA. It's a (fundamentalist) religious thing.
Well, I lived in West Virgina for a couple of years, and a lot of it IS as Jeff Foxworthy dsecribes it.

Have YOU lived there ?

“Petite twink, barely legal”

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#6 Dec 14, 2012
Do a Google search on "the dancing boys of Afghanistan" for more evidence that religion becomes an excuse for all sorts of deception and evil. In Islam women are bot allowed to dance or to entertain. So these fine upstanding religious folk dress boys up as women and have them dance at weddings and other social events. Most "Bacha Bazi" as they called, also entertain men sexually. You would think that a religion which prescribes the death penalty for homosexual acts wouldn't end up promoting them! Yet the excuse for bringing boys into "bacha bazi" is that women are forbidden to dance. That is how Afghan Muslims justify gay child prostitution. Just another example.

Since: Apr 08

Chagrin Falls, OH

#7 Dec 14, 2012
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I lived in West Virgina for a couple of years, and a lot of it IS as Jeff Foxworthy dsecribes it.
Have YOU lived there ?
Foxy, stop being such a troll. How des confusing the issue help?

No one doubts foxwrthy's humorous description of southern culture. That has nothing to do with your claim that LGBT people feeling pressured into hetero marriages is a southern culture thing.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#8 Dec 14, 2012
Gay And Proud wrote:
<quoted text>
Foxy, stop being such a troll. How des confusing the issue help?
No one doubts foxwrthy's humorous description of southern culture. That has nothing to do with your claim that LGBT people feeling pressured into hetero marriages is a southern culture thing.
I lived in West Virginia for a couple of years. I stand by what I said about the culture.

And incidentally, it's not really a "southern" state despite most people's perception of West Virginia.

West Virginia (which was part of Virginia, as we all know, during the first half of The Civil War), is actually further NORTH than the southern-most point of New York (the southern tip of Staten Island in The City of New York). So part of West Virginia is actually NORTH of The City of New York.
Eastsidejim

Cleveland, OH

#10 Dec 14, 2012
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Have YOU lived there ?
Yes, I grew up 12 miles from the Ohio/West Virgina Border in Ohio. It is predominately a religious thing... Most people who are not religious from that area "don't like" gays but don't feel like that have to DO anything about gays. It's only the fundamentalists that preach and act against gays... the same people 60 years ago tried to prevent interacial marriage... and allowed the KKK to sponsor the July 4th town picnic.

So, Foxy, as someone who grew up there in the 50's and 60's, you are wrong.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#11 Dec 14, 2012
Eastsidejim wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I grew up 12 miles from the Ohio/West Virgina Border in Ohio. It is predominately a religious thing... Most people who are not religious from that area "don't like" gays but don't feel like that have to DO anything about gays. It's only the fundamentalists that preach and act against gays... the same people 60 years ago tried to prevent interacial marriage... and allowed the KKK to sponsor the July 4th town picnic.
So, Foxy, as someone who grew up there in the 50's and 60's, you are wrong.
Well, you said you lived IN OHIO, NOT West Virginia. I live din southern West Virginia at the border with Kentucky.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 60 Percent: Record Number Of Americans Support ... 18 min Brian_G 349
News Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? (Sep '14) 33 min Frankie Rizzo 5,748
News The right therapy for LGBT youth 50 min HumanSpirit 285
News Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 55 min Brian_G 51,761
News Mormon church backs Utah LGBT anti-discriminati... 1 hr pearl 3,826
News Can Rick Santorum escape his past? 1 hr kuda 36
News Gay marriage (Mar '13) 1 hr Pietro Armando 59,810
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 2 hr NoahLovesU 21,822
News Ireland same-sex marriage 3 hr NoahLovesU 360
Are the mods fair and balanced? 12 hr Friend of Poof1 842
More from around the web