How To Survive a Plague: Queer Activism Before 'Gay Inc.' Bought It Off

Jun 30, 2012 Full story: The Village Voice

Two things starkly colored my experience as I went to a screening of David France's fascinating documentary How to Survive a Plague , about the heyday of ACT UP , earlier this week.The first was seeing the film through the prism of my feature article in last week's Voice Pride issue, "Does 'Gay Inc.' Believe in Free Speech?" The correlations ... (more)

Full Story
QueerAsItGets

Santa Cruz, CA

#1 Jun 30, 2012
For what good they did do, I think ActUp also unecessarily and unwisely made us a LOT of enemies that we still have to deal with today.

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

#2 Jun 30, 2012
And, for the most part would be our enemies, in any event, no matter what we did.

One of my favorite stories is of walking through Houston Hobby Airport where a group of Xtian bigots had a large table set up to present the facts about AIDS. Facts such as you could get it from kissing or eating from the same plate.

Having spotted them from a distance I walked right up to the table and made the very large sound of preparing to hack a large one. They were falling off and over their folding chairs attempting to get out of spitting range. By that time a good sized group of us were almost rolling on the floor in laughter. Served the assholes right and I'd do it again given the opportunity.

No doubt you spent that entire time sitting in the bleachers watching all the worker bees?
QueerAsItGets wrote:
For what good they did do, I think ActUp also unecessarily and unwisely made us a LOT of enemies that we still have to deal with today.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#3 Jun 30, 2012
TomInElPaso wrote:
And, for the most part would be our enemies, in any event, no matter what we did.
One of my favorite stories is of walking through Houston Hobby Airport where a group of Xtian bigots had a large table set up to present the facts about AIDS. Facts such as you could get it from kissing or eating from the same plate.
Having spotted them from a distance I walked right up to the table and made the very large sound of preparing to hack a large one. They were falling off and over their folding chairs attempting to get out of spitting range. By that time a good sized group of us were almost rolling on the floor in laughter. Served the assholes right and I'd do it again given the opportunity.
No doubt you spent that entire time sitting in the bleachers watching all the worker bees?
<quoted text>
I disagree with you regarding the Catholics. Not the hierarchy. The average church goer. I know THOUSANDS.

ActUp's antics cost us HUGE there.

We're STILL paying for it ... in millions of dollars.

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

#4 Jun 30, 2012
Since I was on the front lines on a very regional basis it's my opinion you're wrong.

Early on one of the only hospitals that would take AIDS patients was one run by Catholic nuns. They provided us space to have monthly meetings for our families and volunteers. When I would visit AIDS patients there I made it my mission to take the Isolation signs and the isolation carts away from the room, roll then to the elevator and push all the buttons, never to be seen again. I never got caught.

One of our biggest supporters was a local parish and they provided us with hundreds of volunteers amounting to thousands of volunteer hours.

When I was asked to speak at the Bishops quarterly meeting of all his parish priests my ten minute presentation consisted of only four words. Repeated over and over while looking all those priests in their eyes I said to them: "Your church has AIDS" over and over and over. They got my message and did some amazing things while never forgetting those four simple words.

A short time later we were dedicating our new AIDS Hospice facility and someone on my staff had invited the Bishop to do a blessing. The first words from his mouth were "We are blessed to have a hero amongst us" and walked over to thank me for my efforts. That's the second time I'd been sprinkled with holy water, the first was during a mass by a priest I was " dating". We spent his ordination money on a trip to Disneyland.

Today a majority of Catholics not only accept homosexuals but also support Gay marriage regardless of the heierarchys blatherings.

snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree with you regarding the Catholics. Not the hierarchy. The average church goer. I know THOUSANDS.
ActUp's antics cost us HUGE there.
We're STILL paying for it ... in millions of dollars.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#5 Jul 1, 2012
TomInElPaso wrote:
Since I was on the front lines on a very regional basis it's my opinion you're wrong.
Early on one of the only hospitals that would take AIDS patients was one run by Catholic nuns. They provided us space to have monthly meetings for our families and volunteers. When I would visit AIDS patients there I made it my mission to take the Isolation signs and the isolation carts away from the room, roll then to the elevator and push all the buttons, never to be seen again. I never got caught.
One of our biggest supporters was a local parish and they provided us with hundreds of volunteers amounting to thousands of volunteer hours.
When I was asked to speak at the Bishops quarterly meeting of all his parish priests my ten minute presentation consisted of only four words. Repeated over and over while looking all those priests in their eyes I said to them: "Your church has AIDS" over and over and over. They got my message and did some amazing things while never forgetting those four simple words.
A short time later we were dedicating our new AIDS Hospice facility and someone on my staff had invited the Bishop to do a blessing. The first words from his mouth were "We are blessed to have a hero amongst us" and walked over to thank me for my efforts. That's the second time I'd been sprinkled with holy water, the first was during a mass by a priest I was " dating". We spent his ordination money on a trip to Disneyland.
Today a majority of Catholics not only accept homosexuals but also support Gay marriage regardless of the heierarchys blatherings.
.<quoted text>
We've had to spend MILLIONS in Hawaii, California, Maine, Washington, etc.

I kept hearing from RC associates "Oh, we don't mean YOU. It's the rest of them. those ActUp running the whole* gay agenda... When they desecrated that church DURING MASS !... You? You don't even want to get married anyway ... "

Decades of work right down the drain.

Yeah, Tom. They'll help us die in a place that makes them look compassionate (they can see themselves as Francis and Clare tending to the lepers), but they will vote against us if given the slightest reason ... and have.

Look at the history of the "saints" who were holy DESPITE the church, not because of it. The church merely stole their thunder, slapped their advertizing stickers all over them and claimed that they made them.

Yep, that bishop sure earned compassion points (administrator) at the North American Synod with that hospice. RC bishops are at least Machiavellian. The good ones are positively byzantine ... with a warm smile. The really good ones are made cardinals.

No doubt you did a good thing. No doubt the parishioners did a good thing.

Also, no doubt the bishop took the bow among the hierarchy.

On one level, "FINE! as long as it got done." Right? Right.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Indian Woman Uses Spycam to Have Husband Arrest... 20 min well 2
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 30 min cpeter1313 2,024
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr Cali Girl 2014 50,816
Gay marriage (Mar '13) 1 hr Billy Bob 56,780
Do gay marriage foes twist Bible? (Jun '11) 1 hr mukesh 2,081
Next gay marriage fight: religious exemptions 1 hr Frankie Rizzo 1,305
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 1 hr BILLY JOE 68,215
Puerto Rico judge upholds gay marriage ban 2 hr Jonathan 98
Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? 3 hr Frankie Rizzo 3,355
Apple CEO Tim Cook: 'I'm proud to be gay' 8 hr Wondering 42

Gay/Lesbian People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE