Police ban gay pride march in Serbia that Christian Orthodox church opposed

In this Sunday, Oct. 10, 2010 file photo, Serbian riot police gather to protect a gay pride parade as it moves along a street in Belgrade, Serbia. Full Story
PointofReason

East Lansing, MI

#23 Oct 6, 2012
Karavashk wrote:
<quoted text>
Whether I am a homophobe or not is my business, its not something that I should go marching on the street about, similarly so is homosexuality if people are homosexuals, that doesn't mean they have to express it to the whole world. They don't have to march on the streets shouting "I am Gay, Gay is me, Proud Gay am I, you should be one too".
They don't have to but they shouldn't be faced with physical coercion for doing so. The state is violence. Sometimes violence is necessary such as arresting people who commit murder, but violence should be used sparingly.
Try saying something against Jews in public, march down the street while shouting "Kill the Jews" or "Jews suck" or something less offensive "Jews run our country" (Not endorsing the comments, just using them as an example) you'll be labeled as anti-Semitist and thrown in jail, no freedom of speech there.
"Kill the Jews" might get you thrown in jail for assault. But the other comments would be recognized as freedom of speech in the United States. Maybe not under western countries, but we have seen the slippery slope their policies lead to. Many of them now have laws against printing books advocating alternative medicine or laws against insulting their king or president. The US would never entertain such laws. Yes, people will call you an "anti-semitist" but being an anti-semitist is not illegal in the United States. You won't be very popular if you go around saying anti-semitic things but you have the right to do so.

You think you're safe? You think this is where it will end and Serbia's only offense against free speech will be against homosexuals? Think again. Tomorrow your country will ban the public expression of an opinion that you support and I will tell you I told you so.
Thats why in my opinion there are responsibilities to every right and freedom
And human nature is so fallible that these "responsibilities" should be very, very carefully spelled out to prevent abuse. It's obvious free speech wouldn't protect someone threatening to do PHYSICAL harm to another person or their property. I agree with that exception. Deception in a way that damages a person such as false advertisement is also a good exception. Lies (that can be factually confirmed as being lies) that hurt a person's reputation is a good exception FOR CIVIL LAW ONLY. Other than that people should have free speech.
there are some things which are better not to be said because they offend people (like the movie insulting Muhammad).
People are responsible for their own emotions and the actions they take from them. Should the movie be criticized for being stupid, yes! The solution to bad speech is more speech. But nobody should go to jail for making a movie.

Being "offended" is highly subjective. You have way too much faith in government. Governments are run by human beings. Human beings are fallible. You let people get arrested for merely being "offensive" and soon you can't criticize anything the government or any privileged elite does because they have deemed it "offensive".
I believe in a state there should be a level of government control and restriction of freedom, because total freedom and lack of any control leads to anarchy which leads to a failed state like Somalia which has absolutely no government control.
In Somalia you don't have a complete lack of law, you have COMPETING law. There are factions of people there all with their own ideas and opinions about how things should be run. If you say anything against Islam I doubt that these factions will care about your protestation that "but you're not the government", they may not be but they desire to be.
Just Wrong

Australia

#24 Oct 6, 2012
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, good come back...
Funny
Serbonazis

North Tonawanda, NY

#25 Oct 6, 2012
Just Wrong wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny
Gayserbia

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#26 Oct 7, 2012
PointofReason wrote:
<quoted text>
They don't have to but they shouldn't be faced with physical coercion for doing so. The state is violence. Sometimes violence is necessary such as arresting people who commit murder, but violence should be used sparingly.
<quoted text>
"Kill the Jews" might get you thrown in jail for assault. But the other comments would be recognized as freedom of speech in the United States. Maybe not under western countries, but we have seen the slippery slope their policies lead to. Many of them now have laws against printing books advocating alternative medicine or laws against insulting their king or president. The US would never entertain such laws. Yes, people will call you an "anti-semitist" but being an anti-semitist is not illegal in the United States. You won't be very popular if you go around saying anti-semitic things but you have the right to do so.
You think you're safe? You think this is where it will end and Serbia's only offense against free speech will be against homosexuals? Think again. Tomorrow your country will ban the public expression of an opinion that you support and I will tell you I told you so.
<quoted text>
And human nature is so fallible that these "responsibilities" should be very, very carefully spelled out to prevent abuse. It's obvious free speech wouldn't protect someone threatening to do PHYSICAL harm to another person or their property. I agree with that exception. Deception in a way that damages a person such as false advertisement is also a good exception. Lies (that can be factually confirmed as being lies) that hurt a person's reputation is a good exception FOR CIVIL LAW ONLY. Other than that people should have free speech.
<quoted text>
People are responsible for their own emotions and the actions they take from them. Should the movie be criticized for being stupid, yes! The solution to bad speech is more speech. But nobody should go to jail for making a movie.
Being "offended" is highly subjective. You have way too much faith in government. Governments are run by human beings. Human beings are fallible. You let people get arrested for merely being "offensive" and soon you can't criticize anything the government or any privileged elite does because they have deemed it "offensive".
<quoted text>
In Somalia you don't have a complete lack of law, you have COMPETING law. There are factions of people there all with their own ideas and opinions about how things should be run. If you say anything against Islam I doubt that these factions will care about your protestation that "but you're not the government", they may not be but they desire to be.
One person calls me a homophobe and now everyone acts as though I go around killing gays. I don't think that Serbia banned this march because they cared, I think they banned this march to tell the EU to take their membership and shove it,
PointofReason

East Lansing, MI

#27 Oct 7, 2012
Karavashk wrote:
<quoted text>
One person calls me a homophobe and now everyone acts as though I go around killing gays. I don't think that Serbia banned this march because they cared, I think they banned this march to tell the EU to take their membership and shove it,
That is NOT a violation of freedom of speech! People can criticize you all they want for your speech, that is them exercising their own right to free speech.

It is only a violation of freedom of speech when people are threatened with fines or imprisonment from the government. Just because people call you a homophobe does NOT change the fact that you are free to say things against gay rights all you want, even hold a rally or a parade. Hate to burst your bubble. You do NOT have a right to be popular or well thought of, so mere social disapproval is NOT a violation of your free speech.

What do you think of people who when they get offended go into fight mode and start beating people up? Since arrests necessarily involve violence that's exactly the same thing the state is doing when they send people to jail for expressing unpopular views. Dealing with views that offend us with violence is uncivilized and savage whether it is done by individuals or by the state.
Serbonazis

Buffalo, NY

#28 Oct 7, 2012
PointofReason wrote:
<quoted text>
That is NOT a violation of freedom of speech! People can criticize you all they want for your speech, that is them exercising their own right to free speech.
It is only a violation of freedom of speech when people are threatened with fines or imprisonment from the government. Just because people call you a homophobe does NOT change the fact that you are free to say things against gay rights all you want, even hold a rally or a parade. Hate to burst your bubble. You do NOT have a right to be popular or well thought of, so mere social disapproval is NOT a violation of your free speech.
What do you think of people who when they get offended go into fight mode and start beating people up? Since arrests necessarily involve violence that's exactly the same thing the state is doing when they send people to jail for expressing unpopular views. Dealing with views that offend us with violence is uncivilized and savage whether it is done by individuals or by the state.
Servia remains servialand forever.
Mitch

Australia

#29 Oct 7, 2012
Hahaha at all the fags commenting.. Well done Serbia .. Do it while you still can because it will end up like these other failing countries.. Australia, America, England where half the population or more love there own type.. D..icks.. Get em off the street because no one will like there kids being gay in the future
Serbonazis

Buffalo, NY

#30 Oct 7, 2012
Mitch wrote:
Hahaha at all the fags commenting.. Well done Serbia .. Do it while you still can because it will end up like these other failing countries.. Australia, America, England where half the population or more love there own type.. D..icks.. Get em off the street because no one will like there kids being gay in the future
no children in Gayserbia
Mitch

Australia

#31 Oct 7, 2012
Serbonazis wrote:
<quoted text>no children in Gayserbia
That's got to be the worst comment I've seen on this stupid discussion page.. How old are you ?? 14?? 16?? You gotta be under 18 to be that immature.. Also you said gay Serbia lol previos comments are saying we homophobic.. Make up your minds
Dalmatino

Madliena, Malta

#32 Oct 7, 2012
Worse. He's actually around 50 and has no life at all. There's no point talking to him either, he will repeat the same stuff over and over again like a retard.

Since: Apr 11

Los Angeles, CA

#33 Oct 7, 2012
Mitch wrote:
Hahaha at all the fags commenting.. Well done Serbia .. Do it while you still can because it will end up like these other failing countries.. Australia, America, England where half the population or more love there own type.. D..icks..
You homophobes can't get your minds off of dicks. You ladies protest too much, methinks.
Mitch wrote:
Get em off the street because no one will like there kids being gay in the future
Rose's Law:
Morons with no real argument scream, "But what about the children!?".

How many gay pride parades would you have to see before you "turn gay"?
Serbonazis

Buffalo, NY

#34 Oct 7, 2012
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
You homophobes can't get your minds off of dicks. You ladies protest too much, methinks.
<quoted text>
Rose's Law:
Morons with no real argument scream, "But what about the children!?".
How many gay pride parades would you have to see before you "turn gay"?
Go to Geyserboslavia
Mitch

Australia

#35 Oct 7, 2012
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
You homophobes can't get your minds off of dicks. You ladies protest too much, methinks.
<quoted text>
Rose's Law:
Morons with no real argument scream, "But what about the children!?".
How many gay pride parades would you have to see before you "turn gay"?
Quick question .. Why do f..ags gotta march the street and tell everyone that they are gay.. What makes them so special.. So if your straight you gotta have a straight parade.. Come on.. If they wanna be fags let em be but don't need to go on the street and tell everyone what you are
Serbonazis

Buffalo, NY

#36 Oct 8, 2012
Mitch wrote:
<quoted text>
Quick question .. Why do f..ags gotta march the street and tell everyone that they are gay.. What makes them so special.. So if your straight you gotta have a straight parade.. Come on.. If they wanna be fags let em be but don't need to go on the street and tell everyone what you are
no children in Gayserbia
Mitch

Australia

#37 Oct 8, 2012
Serbonazis wrote:
<quoted text>no children in Gayserbia
Hahahahaha this kid learnt a new word lol go tell mummy now
Serbonazis

Buffalo, NY

#38 Oct 8, 2012
Mitch wrote:
<quoted text>
Hahahahaha this kid learnt a new word lol go tell mummy now
another dumb and supid servian comment, as usual.
Mitch

Australia

#39 Oct 8, 2012
Serbonazis wrote:
<quoted text>another dumb and supid servian comment, as usual.
Lolll your the retard that's saying gay Serbia.. If it was gay then I think the parade wouldn't be banned.. You dumb Albanian, hairy back Muslim scum..

So I'll correct you know.. It was a stupid Serbian comment.. Your just a stupid kid

Since: Apr 11

North Hollywood, CA

#40 Oct 8, 2012
Mitch wrote:
<quoted text>
Quick question .. Why do f..ags gotta march the street and tell everyone that they are gay.. What makes them so special.. So if your straight you gotta have a straight parade.. Come on.. If they wanna be fags let em be but don't need to go on the street and tell everyone what you are
Quick question...are you really so stupid you don't know the answer to your question?
Goran

Sliema, Malta

#42 Oct 8, 2012
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Quick question...are you really so stupid you don't know the answer to your question?
Your legs look like man legs, do you have any porn of yourself?

Since: Apr 11

North Hollywood, CA

#43 Oct 8, 2012
Goran wrote:
<quoted text>
Your legs look like man legs, do you have any porn of yourself?
Fido, I know there is nothing you'd rather see than porn of me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Vladimir Putin Another Adolf Hitler? 26 min Pro Ukraine 2,764
End of the road for Freedom to Marry, NOM? 1 hr Cowobunga 7
Same-sex marriage is just the beginning 1 hr Anglo Seeker 28
Pat Robertson's Thanksgiving Warning: Stop Gay ... 1 hr Fa-Foxy 22
Government Studies Sexual Habits Of Obese Girls 1 hr Frank Stanton 1
Evangelicals with gay children challenging church 3 hr Fa-Foxy 27
Gay marriage (Mar '13) 3 hr Pattysboi 56,702
Next gay marriage fight: religious exemptions 4 hr Pietro Armando 3,642
Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? 6 hr Frankie Rizzo 3,983
Gay brains similar to opposite-sex straight brains 19 hr Belle Sexton 31

Gay/Lesbian People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE