Federal judge rules against Hawaii gay marriage

There are 20 comments on the Aug 8, 2012, WFAA-TV Dallas story titled Federal judge rules against Hawaii gay marriage. In it, WFAA-TV Dallas reports that:

A federal judge has ruled against two Hawaii women who want to get married instead of enter into a civil union.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WFAA-TV Dallas.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#1005 Sep 11, 2012
Jane Dough wrote:
<quoted text>
you do get that this principal works both ways right?
my point is that you libs never understand that you are setting a precedent..
you are short sighted...
you celebrate the outcome, without questioning the next move...
worse yet, you mock those that do understand and think ahead...
good thing we watch our rights...
yours are up to you...
And you arrogantly assume only you understand things.

We understand just fine.
We already know what the next moves are.

I have no problem whatsoever with how things are going.

YOU on the other hand keep begging us to drop our quest for marriage and go back to civil unions.

Your desperation is showing.
Jane Dough

Montpelier, VT

#1006 Sep 11, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
I may be a rational distinction for some, but not for others.
if it can be rationally debated, ITS A RATIONAL REASON...
this is legally significant, do you know why?

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#1007 Sep 11, 2012
Jane Dough wrote:
<quoted text>
this is a misguided opinion.
The justices are to say what it says, not what it SHOULD say...
if we don't like it we change it, we don't let the justices amend it and then change it back like we will for citizens united...
you don't understand, but if you did, this would concern you...
Its how our system works.

Cry about it some more, I'm sure that will change things.
Jane Dough

Montpelier, VT

#1008 Sep 11, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
And you arrogantly assume only you understand things.
We understand just fine.
We already know what the next moves are.
I have no problem whatsoever with how things are going.
YOU on the other hand keep begging us to drop our quest for marriage and go back to civil unions.
Your desperation is showing.
funny that you mistake my compassion for desperation..
its a war to you isn't it?

I think you should have these rights, but not be "married"...its a rational belief... and one held for a long time by Obama.(he still believes it, he just said "personally" he is comfortable with marriage and you guys ate it up...now he is done with you for this election...)

sorry to be honest, but based on your readings of the DOMA cases you have no clue what happened or what it means...

I am not begging for you to do anything...I am fine with you going all or nothing...
but calling everyone one bigot along the way burns bridges...

you guys are your own worst enemy..
I was suggesting to you that a more balanced approach may yield better short term benefits, and you responded jerry springer style proving my point...
Jane Dough

Montpelier, VT

#1009 Sep 11, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Its how our system works.
Cry about it some more, I'm sure that will change things.
you just don't get that I am suggesting that we all will be crying...this includes you when your pet issue is overruled by 9 people...
a VERY real possibility...

should I show you the compassion then that you are showing me right now?
Jane Dough

Montpelier, VT

#1010 Sep 11, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Its how our system works.
Cry about it some more, I'm sure that will change things.
and off the charts on the irony meter...
so cry about your lack of marriage here... i am sure it changes anything...

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#1011 Sep 11, 2012
Jane Dough wrote:
<quoted text>
if it can be rationally debated, ITS A RATIONAL REASON...
this is legally significant, do you know why?
YOU may think it's a rational reason, I don't.

Just as some justices will think it's a rational reason, and some won't.

Now I'm sure you're going to speak for all the judges in the entire country and tell them how they HAVE to rule.....

Pssst, judges will decide for THEMSELVES. And many judges HAVE decided that it is NOT a rational reason.

The only question is how many of each side are on the court.

You will now arrogantly claim to know the minds of all 9 justices.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#1012 Sep 11, 2012
Jane Dough wrote:
<quoted text>
funny that you mistake my compassion for desperation..
its a war to you isn't it?
I think you should have these rights, but not be "married"...its a rational belief... and one held for a long time by Obama.(he still believes it, he just said "personally" he is comfortable with marriage and you guys ate it up...now he is done with you for this election...)
sorry to be honest, but based on your readings of the DOMA cases you have no clue what happened or what it means...
I am not begging for you to do anything...I am fine with you going all or nothing...
but calling everyone one bigot along the way burns bridges...
you guys are your own worst enemy..
I was suggesting to you that a more balanced approach may yield better short term benefits, and you responded jerry springer style proving my point...
I don't want nor need your fake "compassion".
I don't want nor need your advice.
I don't want nor need your opinion.

Yes, for us it IS a war for our equal rights, a war for our benefits we paid for, a war for our families, and too often a war for our very lives.

This isn't just some academic exercise.

And THAT is why we will win in the end, one way or another, no matter how long it takes. WE actually have skin in the "game", while for you it's just a game.

“Live and let live”

Since: Apr 08

New Orleans

#1013 Sep 11, 2012
Jane Dough wrote:
<quoted text>
nope, its not.
the right thing to do is to BALANCE the competing interest rather than try to judge either side...and that balance is CU's...
both sides would be a little let down, and thats how you know you found the sweet spot...
If CU's are good enough for gay couples then they are good enough for straight couples. If you advocate for civil unions, then advocate for civil unions for all. Beyond what familial rights couples are afforded, I see no reason why government even needs to be involved in the marriage business anyway. The point here is that by defining our relationships as different, CU's treat us differently and unequally. When it comes to matters involving individual rights, we vote on ALL our rights, not just those of a select few, and if you truly believe inequality is fine and dandy, then you're a bigot and please just stop pretending you're anything other than that. It's pathetic.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#1014 Sep 11, 2012
Jane Dough wrote:
<quoted text>
you just don't get that I am suggesting that we all will be crying...this includes you when your pet issue is overruled by 9 people...
a VERY real possibility...
should I show you the compassion then that you are showing me right now?
I understand exactly how it works. Many issues I support have been overruled by the SCOTUS, but many have been upheld as well. That's how it works; I can live with that.

I also understand the longterm trend in society is acceptance of gays as equal. In another generation this simply won't be an issue. Eventually there won't be any anti-gays justices left.

This absolutely only ends one way- full marriage equality across the US.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#1015 Sep 11, 2012
Jane Dough wrote:
<quoted text>
and off the charts on the irony meter...
so cry about your lack of marriage here... i am sure it changes anything...
Actually it IS changing things, which is how we've gone from not being able to marry in all 50 states to marriage rights in 6 states plus DC, with more on the way, along with federal recognition.

Meanwhile you've gone from bans in all 50 states to bans in only 44 states, with more to fall......

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#1016 Sep 11, 2012
Jane Dough wrote:
<quoted text>
what color are your pom poms?
name ONE gay couple that had a kid together...
just ONE...
oh right, reality...
Talk to "RnL2008" about that.

I know of a lesbian couple where one carried to term the child of the other.

Parthenogenesis is a little way off, but not much.

An earthworm can breed. You'd better have something more important than endobiological chain reaction in your tool bag, dear.
Jane Dough

Montpelier, VT

#1018 Sep 12, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually it IS changing things, which is how we've gone from not being able to marry in all 50 states to marriage rights in 6 states plus DC, with more on the way, along with federal recognition.
Meanwhile you've gone from bans in all 50 states to bans in only 44 states, with more to fall......
fyi, i basically skipped all of your four posts...
I skimmed for cheering and that's all there was.
buy I felt you were entitled to a response...

"Meanwhile you've gone from bans in all 50 states to bans in only 44 states"

now that one is just funny...

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#1019 Sep 12, 2012
Jane Dough wrote:
<quoted text>
fyi, i basically skipped all of your four posts...
I skimmed for cheering and that's all there was.
buy I felt you were entitled to a response...
"Meanwhile you've gone from bans in all 50 states to bans in only 44 states"
now that one is just funny...
Of course you skip them because you can't refute them.

You keep asking us WHY we won't accept civil unions, and when we tell you why, you dismiss it as cheering.

We won't accept civil unions because we all believe we will achieve marriage equality.

Dismiss it all you want, but that's why.

You can't deny same-sex couples were once banned from marrying in all 50 states. Now the number is down to 44 with more bans to fall soon.

WE are making progress, YOU are losing ground, one state at a time.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#1020 Sep 12, 2012
Jane Dough wrote:
<quoted text>
fyi, i basically skipped all of your four posts...
I skimmed for cheering and that's all there was.
buy I felt you were entitled to a response...
"Meanwhile you've gone from bans in all 50 states to bans in only 44 states"
now that one is just funny...
FYI, feel free to skip ALL of our posts.

It won't stop marriage equality from passing in Washington, Maine, & Maryland this year. It won't stop marriage equality from passing in Illinois, Delaware, Hawaii, Rhode Island, & Nevada in 2013.

Soon you'll be down to less than half the states with bans on marriage equality.

Now skip away bitch!
Jane Dough

Montpelier, VT

#1021 Sep 12, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course you skip them because you can't refute them.
who refutes cheerleading?
no, don't "go team"?
so i read no further...
Jane Dough

Montpelier, VT

#1022 Sep 12, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
FYI, feel free to skip ALL of our posts.
I skim...

at least rhyme the cheers...

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#1023 Sep 12, 2012
Jane Dough wrote:
<quoted text>
I skim...
at least rhyme the cheers...
I'd rather just point out what a moron you are.
Obama Black Nation

North Pole, AK

#1024 Sep 12, 2012
New chicken joint in sANFraNSICO

Chick n' Fella

New Gay Bar:

Felations
Jane Dough

Montpelier, VT

#1025 Sep 13, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd rather just point out what a moron you are.
lame.

I teach you more than you teach me...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 15 min RevKen 32,025
News Same-sex marriage pioneer among lawyers for hig... 33 min Belle Sexton 13
News The Latest on GOP's 2016 hopefuls: Cruz on gay ... 45 min david traversa 7
News Gay marriage (Mar '13) 48 min Belle Sexton 59,292
News Mormon church backs Utah LGBT anti-discriminati... 1 hr Belle Sexton 2,778
NE Jade - low life or What? 1 hr Blonde Queer 1
News Now out, Bruce Jenner shines spotlight on trans... 1 hr Belle Sexton 8
News Judge proposes Oregon bakery pay $135,000 to le... 1 hr Belle Sexton 51
News Pediatrician Won't Treat Baby With Lesbian Moms 2 hr Brian_G 1,190
News Why I'll be voting 'No' to same-sex marriage, e... 2 hr PackRat 2,055
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 3 hr Rick in Kansas 19,636
Are the mods fair and balanced? 3 hr Rick in Kansas 652
More from around the web