Dear Abby: Anti-gay couple facing bac...

Dear Abby: Anti-gay couple facing backlash

There are 84 comments on the Courier-Post story from Feb 19, 2014, titled Dear Abby: Anti-gay couple facing backlash. In it, Courier-Post reports that:

Two couples in the neighborhood are gay -- one male, one female. While they are nice enough, my husband and I did not include them when it was our turn to host because we do not approve of their lifestyle choices.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Courier-Post.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

“Equality marches on! ”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#1 Feb 19, 2014
Good advice Abby! And the bigot couple wonders why they are now excluded from other social gatherings. Clueless dolts!
Clay

Culver City, CA

#2 Feb 19, 2014
Not everyone has to approve, accept and or condone the gay lifestyle just because the liberals say we do.

I for one do not accept gays just like I don't accept drug addicts, pedophiles or any other deviant behavior. Never have, never will. Anyone who doesn't like that, screw them.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#3 Feb 19, 2014
That community is an example of the U.S. in microcosm. In the ensuing decade or so, this sort of marginalization of bigotry will continue on ever-growing proportions. Or, at least I hope it will.

Since: May 12

Livonia, MI

#4 Feb 19, 2014
Clay wrote:
Not everyone has to approve, accept and or condone the gay lifestyle just because the liberals say we do.
I for one do not accept gays just like I don't accept drug addicts, pedophiles or any other deviant behavior. Never have, never will. Anyone who doesn't like that, screw them.
And they will mount your picture right next to the extinct Dodo. Have fun in the dustbin of history.
Paul

Windsor, Canada

#5 Feb 19, 2014
Clay wrote:
Of course you don't have to approve of them...that is your right...and you are free to be as sad a person as you wish to be.

However, the issue here is that this couple exercised their right to be judgmental, and then couldn't handle it when the exact same thing was done to them. It simply sounds like their neighbors are taking a page out of their own playbook and returning the favor. Kudos!
Clay

Culver City, CA

#6 Feb 19, 2014
Paul wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course you don't have to approve of them...that is your right...and you are free to be as sad a person as you wish to be.
However, the issue here is that this couple exercised their right to be judgmental, and then couldn't handle it when the exact same thing was done to them. It simply sounds like their neighbors are taking a page out of their own playbook and returning the favor. Kudos!
I agree. Why would the couple look for acceptance in a community like that? I wouldn't have anything to do with those people.

“Take Topix Back From Trolls”

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

#7 Feb 19, 2014
Clay wrote:
Sorry but bigots don't get to screw anyone. No one wants you. Thankfully you're a dying breed, as it should be. Don't be surprised when no one comes to your funeral.

“Take Topix Back From Trolls”

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

#8 Feb 19, 2014
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. Why would the couple look for acceptance in a community like that? I wouldn't have anything to do with those people.
Hopefully they bought their new home for top dollar. They, just like you will end up friendless.
Gremlin

Louisville, KY

#9 Feb 19, 2014
I LOVE it when Abby chews the bigots out! Keep up the good work.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#10 Feb 19, 2014
And what if the couples lived the "chosen lifestyle" of Roman Catholicism , Buddhism, Hinduism, or Islam ? Would the bigot's response be the same ?

“Equality marches on! ”

Location hidden

#11 Feb 19, 2014
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
That explains your ranting on here. No one in your neighborhood listens to your bigoted rants. You must be very lonely.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#12 Feb 19, 2014
Fa-Foxy wrote:
And what if the couples lived the "chosen lifestyle" of Roman Catholicism , Buddhism, Hinduism, or Islam ? Would the bigot's response be the same ?
I have never found a bigot to hate just one group, so, probably.
Gremlin

Louisville, KY

#13 Feb 19, 2014
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
They're all garden variety bigots. Just pathetic people with low self esteem with a need to feel superior.
Fundies R Mentally Ill

Philadelphia, PA

#14 Feb 19, 2014
Clay wrote:
Not everyone has to approve, accept and or condone....
The bigot couple's complaint about themselves winding up the pariahs is the clearest, "right back at you," we could imagine.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#15 Feb 19, 2014
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
UNTRUE. I hate Democrats !:)

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#16 Feb 19, 2014
This letter beautifully demonstrates how blind bigots are.

They are welcomed into a neighborhood full of lovely, friendly people, and then they expect those lovely, friendly people to be okay with their ill-treatment of some of them?

Abby was right. This is a learning opportunity. Will they take it? I kinda doubt it.

Since: Jul 09

Indy/Philly/Toronto

#17 Feb 19, 2014
RalphB wrote:
That community is an example of the U.S. in microcosm. In the ensuing decade or so, this sort of marginalization of bigotry will continue on ever-growing proportions. Or, at least I hope it will.
And you are here in the Gay Forum why?

I for one do not accept bigots just like I don't accept drug addicts, pedophiles or any other deviant behavior. Never have, never will.

I think you fit into the above list much more appropriately than any of us.

Enjoy your company.

Since: Jul 09

Indy/Philly/Toronto

#18 Feb 19, 2014
Sorry Ralph ... met to reply to Clay.
The "reply" button is in a weird place.
hi hi

Lancaster, PA

#19 Feb 19, 2014
Thunderous applause at the very first point made by the response. I have noticed that to an extent, the pro-gay seem to be dropping this point and letting "lifestyle" and "choice" comments slip by now. And in a sense, I find it understandable; after someone has said something wrong a thousand time, you conclude that they're a dumbass or a dolt and you move on. At the same time, would I prefer to see people stubbornly and endlessly correcting this lie every single time it's voiced? Yeah, but I understand what a burden that can be, and so I don't really protest.

“Equality marches on! ”

Location hidden

#20 Feb 19, 2014
mark in Toronto wrote:
<quoted text>
And you are here in the Gay Forum why?
I for one do not accept bigots just like I don't accept drug addicts, pedophiles or any other deviant behavior. Never have, never will.
I think you fit into the above list much more appropriately than any of us.
Enjoy your company.
I take it that you were replying to the CLAY idiot, not Ralph.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 3 hr River Tam 56,124
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 3 hr cpeter1313 10,121
News 'Christian Militant' Hopes More Police Officers... 5 hr Rainbow Kid 9
News Free weddings for all same-sex couples: mayor's... 5 hr Rainbow Kid 11
News Cake fundraiser supports gay marriage as Suprem... 5 hr Rainbow Kid 3
News Doritos makes rainbow chips in support of gay r... (Sep '15) 6 hr neighbor 2,420
News Gay teen against same-sex marriage heckled at u... 7 hr Xstain Spot Remover 65
News Same-sex marriage protesters clash - exchange v... 9 hr Prisoner of my Mo... 4
News Judge rejects couple's argument for refusing ga... 10 hr EdmondWA 105
News Senate hopeful Roy Moore: gay sex is the 'same ... 16 hr EdmondWA 33
More from around the web