Obama Administration Files Brief Stat...

Obama Administration Files Brief Stating DOMA Unconstitutional

There are 51 comments on the lezgetreal.com story from Feb 22, 2013, titled Obama Administration Files Brief Stating DOMA Unconstitutional . In it, lezgetreal.com reports that:

Solicitor General Donald Verrilli has filed a brief urging the Supreme Court to strike down the Defense of Marriage Act. Verrilli, acting on behalf of the Obama Administration, calls the law unconstitutional based upon how it violates “the fundamental guarantee of equal protection.”

Join the discussion below, or Read more at lezgetreal.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#2 Feb 22, 2013
Goodie, goodie, goodie!

Uve

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#3 Feb 22, 2013
Go Obama!

“"Secular Humanism Rocks"”

Since: Feb 13

Waco Texas

#4 Feb 22, 2013
Uve wrote:
Go Obama!
Ditto my friend,great news! Maybe soon we can get rid of that unconstitutional,discriminator y piece of crap! About time to right that injustice!

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#5 Feb 22, 2013
What an amazing time to be alive, and see this happening!

"The law denies to tens of thousands of same-sex couples who are legally married under state law an array of important federal benefits..."

And sure, that's those who are married in the states where it can happen. But the recent Gallup poll tells us what we always knew, that the national average of gay people hovers around 4%. Well, 4% of 300 millions Americans is TWELVE MILLION human beings. The ones who DON'T live in marriage equality states are the ones who are struck by this discriminatory law the most. They are the ones we still fight for.
David Traversa

Cordoba, Argentina

#6 Feb 22, 2013
A great man living-up to his promises .. Marvelous !

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#7 Feb 22, 2013
I still don't like most of his financial policies, but meh, he's still a pretty decent human being.

Sei

Since: Nov 08

Rutland, VT

#8 Feb 22, 2013
EdmondWA wrote:
What an amazing time to be alive, and see this happening!
"The law denies to tens of thousands of same-sex couples who are legally married under state law an array of important federal benefits..."
And sure, that's those who are married in the states where it can happen. But the recent Gallup poll tells us what we always knew, that the national average of gay people hovers around 4%. Well, 4% of 300 millions Americans is TWELVE MILLION human beings. The ones who DON'T live in marriage equality states are the ones who are struck by this discriminatory law the most. They are the ones we still fight for.
And, at that, it's not easy to really say that 4% is accurate. There are a lot of people who would not even say that they are lesbian or gay to an anonymous poll, and so many who don't dare come out.

However, the rough average for the number of lesbian and gay Americans is somewhere between 12 and 30 million- which makes us a larger population than a fair number of religions and minorities out there.

That's more than play World of Warcraft worldwide.

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#9 Feb 22, 2013
President Obama: "I have to make sure that I'm not interjecting myself too much in this process, particularly when we're not a party to the case"

You have a WIFE, don't you?

You LOVE her, don't you?

You want to be sure that her future is provided for, and that HER future is a permanently bonded component of your OWN future, don't you? She wants that for YOU, right? And that no one ELSE can EVER interfere with that bond, right? No matter which U.S. state you live in, or travel to?

Anyone who IS married, or PLANS to marry, or ever WANTS to marry, is a party to these cases, whether they're legally named in them or not.

The disappointment will be if SCOTUS rules narrowly in these cases. But I believe that there's NO WAY that they can't find for the plaintiffs in each one.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#10 Feb 23, 2013
EdmondWA wrote:
President Obama: "I have to make sure that I'm not interjecting myself too much in this process, particularly when we're not a party to the case"
You have a WIFE, don't you?
You LOVE her, don't you?
You want to be sure that her future is provided for, and that HER future is a permanently bonded component of your OWN future, don't you? She wants that for YOU, right? And that no one ELSE can EVER interfere with that bond, right? No matter which U.S. state you live in, or travel to?
Anyone who IS married, or PLANS to marry, or ever WANTS to marry, is a party to these cases, whether they're legally named in them or not.
The disappointment will be if SCOTUS rules narrowly in these cases. But I believe that there's NO WAY that they can't find for the plaintiffs in each one.
He meant the Executive doesn't have a dog in this game. As far as the Executive is concerned the issue is decided.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#11 Feb 23, 2013
Now let's hope he does the same for the Prop 8 case; the brief is due next Friday if they are going to file one.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#12 Feb 23, 2013
This is just window-dressing by The Obamaniac. Now SCOTUS justice is going to give a damn what he has to say about the matter.

This SOB is in permanent "campaign-mode".

Tawas City, Michigan

#13 Feb 23, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
This is just window-dressing by The Obamaniac. Now SCOTUS justice is going to give a damn what he has to say about the matter.
Once again your complete STUPIDITY and bias comes out.

Regardless of whom the President is, the Solicitor General is one of the most influential people to come before the SCOTUS. Their opinion ALWAYS matters to the court.

“”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#14 Feb 23, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
Be honest, what would the conservatives have done not just for us but for anyone?

There have been some real changes in the last few years. I don't know why you refuse to see that.

“”

Location hidden

#15 Feb 23, 2013
Sei wrote:
<quoted text>
And, at that, it's not easy to really say that 4% is accurate. There are a lot of people who would not even say that they are lesbian or gay to an anonymous poll, and so many who don't dare come out.
However, the rough average for the number of lesbian and gay Americans is somewhere between 12 and 30 million- which makes us a larger population than a fair number of religions and minorities out there.
That's more than play World of Warcraft worldwide.
I agree 4% is not accurate. Many do not fill out the census or simply refuse to say it.

I live in Doral and the same sex couples here alone never mind individuals is way higher than the census listing.

In states such as Florida which you can be fired for being gay, many are not going to put that info on a piece of paper.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#16 Feb 23, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again your complete STUPIDITY and bias comes out.
Regardless of whom the President is, the Solicitor General is one of the most influential people to come before the SCOTUS. Their opinion ALWAYS matters to the court.
No, it doesn't.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#17 Feb 23, 2013
Jose - in Miami wrote:
<quoted text>
Be honest, what would the conservatives have done not just for us but for anyone?
There have been some real changes in the last few years. I don't know why you refuse to see that.
Yes, there has been real change for us. Because of the courts. Not because of The Obamaniac.

“”

Location hidden

#18 Feb 23, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
I still don't like most of his financial policies, but meh, he's still a pretty decent human being.
I agree and disagree with some Obama policies but look at the alternative and he was the only real choice.

If nothing else he isn't a malicious angry at the world Christian Conservative and for now they are the major stock holder in the GOP.

Living in Florida with the two biggest bible thumping hypocrites and con artists in the USA, Marco Rubio and Gov.Rick Scott you stick with Democrats.

Tawas City, Michigan

#19 Feb 23, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it doesn't.
Yep, you're still a total moron.

Tawas City, Michigan

#20 Feb 23, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, there has been real change for us. Because of the courts. Not because of The Obamaniac.
The President signed the repreal of DADT into law; not the courts.
The President signed the expanded Hate Crimes legislation; not the courts.

Yep, you're STILL a total moron whose bias against Obama blinds you to the facts.

“”

Location hidden

#21 Feb 23, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
The President signed the repreal of DADT into law; not the courts.
The President signed the expanded Hate Crimes legislation; not the courts.
Yep, you're STILL a total moron whose bias against Obama blinds you to the facts.
If Obama found a cure for cancer Foxy and the FOX bunch would scream that he didn't find a cure for cancer. I think Foxy makes very good points here and there but I do agree that his hate blinds him.

If nothing else what does he think the GOP would do?

This is not the NY GOP which he is used to .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... 6 min Frindly 1,115
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 7 min Frindly 7,120
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 8 min yehoshooah adam 52,258
News Trump's transgender troops ban divides veterans... 32 min Red Cloud 86
News Trump bans transgender people from military 4 hr Ms Sassy 71
Gay Sugar Daddy Sugar Baby Seeker? 7 hr West 1
News The Latest: Duckworth says transgender ban disc... 7 hr Jaysus Sharia 57
News Study: 12,000 acts of condomless gay sex, 0 HIV... 7 hr Really 78
More from around the web