Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
175,481 - 175,500 of 200,564 Comments Last updated 15 hrs ago

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Really...for such an advanced intellect such as yourself, such a comparison as that is clearly the province of a lesser mind. We're discussing the basic unit of society.
<quoted text>
See above.
<quoted text>
So the enlightened ideology that ended slavery is, again, comprable to treating "LGBT" citizens equally. I see so LGBT citizens were once slaves?
<quoted text>
"Gay" as a virtually exclusive reference to homosexuality is relative new. Perhaps we should revert to the previous definition of a "gay man", a womanizer. Ironic is it? Equality means we treat ALL men as men, and ALL women as women. Not a man as a woman, or vice versa.
<quoted text>
Yet u ask not for equal treat in regards to marriage, but for something else. You seek to redefine the definition of marriage in order to conform with your notion of "equality", not equality as it applies to anyone else of your sex. If we are to treat all men equally, as all women, then each sex has the same right to enter into a legally recognized union of husband and wife, recognized, and valid nationwide. So which is it? Do u want special treatment, or to be treated like any other man in this regard?
--Oh God... Here we go again... "Marriage is the basic unit of our society! There has never been and will never be a more important and key idea with regards to the entire human race." Please, you drama queen... Marriage is a manmade construct. Any two people can fall on top of one another and spit out a child. That's been happening since the beginning of time.
Spare me the histrionics.

--LGBT people were not enslaved, unless they were gay slaves. But neither were women, religious minorities, or the disabled. Yet we extend civil and equal rights to each one of these populations.

--Stop playing with semantics... Marriage has always been and will always be a manmade social and legal union between two or more people; depending on when your lived and where you lived. The way it has looked has varied widely over the eons. Allowing same-sex partners to benefit from the laws that protect married couples in this country is yet another rendition of marriage. Denial of marriage between same-sex partners has been based on the false and long held belief that homosexuals are disordered. We no longer hold those beliefs--at least those in the medical, psychiatric, biological, and other scientific communities.
Laws are based on facts. And the facts clearly show that openly gay individuals do not suffer "personal angst or social disability"--the basis for determining if a human characteristic is a mental or physical disorder.
laughing man

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

Judged:

Rocky Hudsony wrote:
But, if you wish to mate with some.....thing, may I suggest a trip to Knoxville?
I hear tell that Knoxville smells like Crisco this time of year.
pinky

Monrovia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

Judged:

Ah, ya sound like some kind of bottomless racists, take turns and shut up.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

Judged:

f you can pronounce correctly every word in this poem, you will be speaking English better than 90% of the native English speakers in the world.

After trying the verses, a Frenchman said he’d prefer six months of hard labour to reading six lines aloud.

Dearest creature in creation,
Study English pronunciation.
I will teach you in my verse
Sounds like corpse, corps, horse, and worse.
I will keep you, Suzy, busy,
Make your head with heat grow dizzy.
Tear in eye, your dress will tear.
So shall I! Oh hear my prayer.
Just compare heart, beard, and heard,
Dies and diet, lord and word,
Sword and sward, retain and Britain.
(Mind the latter, how it’s written.)
Now I surely will not plague you
With such words as plaque and ague.
But be careful how you speak:
Say break and steak, but bleak and streak;
Cloven, oven, how and low,
Script, receipt, show, poem, and toe.
Hear me say, devoid of trickery,
Daughter, laughter, and Terpsichore,
Typhoid, measles, topsails, aisles,
Exiles, similes, and reviles;
Scholar, vicar, and cigar,
Solar, mica, war and far;
One, anemone, Balmoral,
Kitchen, lichen, laundry, laurel;
Gertrude, German, wind and mind,
Scene, Melpomene, mankind.
Billet does not rhyme with ballet,
Bouquet, wallet, mallet, chalet.
Blood and flood are not like food,
Nor is mould like should and would.
Viscous, viscount, load and broad,
Toward, to forward, to reward.
And your pronunciation’s OK
When you correctly say croquet,
Rounded, wounded, grieve and sieve,
Friend and fiend, alive and live.
Ivy, privy, famous; clamour
And enamour rhyme with hammer.
River, rival, tomb, bomb, comb,
Doll and roll and some and home.
Stranger does not rhyme with anger,
Neither does devour with clangour.
Souls but foul, haunt but aunt,
Font, front, wont, want, grand, and grant,
Shoes, goes, does. Now first say finger,
And then singer, ginger, linger,
Real, zeal, mauve, gauze, gouge and gauge,
Marriage, foliage, mirage, and age.
Query does not rhyme with very,
Nor does fury sound like bury.
Dost, lost, post and doth, cloth, loth.
Job, nob, bosom, transom, oath.
Though the differences seem little,
We say actual but victual.
Refer does not rhyme with deafer.
Fe0ffer does, and zephyr, heifer.
Mint, pint, senate and sedate;
Dull, bull, and George ate late.
Scenic, Arabic, Pacific,
Science, conscience, scientific.
Liberty, library, heave and heaven,
Rachel, ache, moustache, eleven.
We say hallowed, but allowed,
People, leopard, towed, but vowed.
Mark the differences, moreover,
Between mover, cover, clover;
Leeches, breeches, wise, precise,
Chalice, but police and lice;
Camel, constable, unstable,
Principle, disciple, label.
Petal, panel, and canal,
Wait, surprise, plait, promise, pal.
Worm and storm, chaise, chaos, chair,
Senator, spectator, mayor.
Tour, but our and succour, four.
Gas, alas, and Arkansas.
Sea, idea, Korea, area,
Psalm, Maria, but malaria.
Youth, south, southern, cleanse and clean.
Doctrine, turpentine, marine.
Compare alien with Italian,
Dandelion and battalion.
Sally with ally, yea, ye,
Eye, I, ay, aye, whey, and key.
Say aver, but ever, fever,
Neither, leisure, skein, deceiver.
Heron, granary, canary.
Crevice and device and aerie.
Face, but preface, not efface.
Phlegm, phlegmatic, ass, glass, bass.
Large, but target, gin, give, verging,
Ought, out, joust and scour, scourging.
Ear, but earn and wear and tear
Do not rhyme with here but ere.
Seven is right, but so is even,
Hyphen, roughen, nephew Stephen,
Monkey, donkey, Turk and jerk,
Ask, grasp, wasp, and cork and work.
Pronunciation (think of Psyche!)
Is a paling stout and spikey?
Won’t it make you lose your wits,
Writing groats and saying grits?
It’s a dark abyss or tunnel:
Strewn with stones, stowed, solace, gunwale,
Islington and Isle of Wight,
Housewife, verdict and indict.
Finally, which rhymes with enough,
Though, through, plough, or dough, or cough?
Hiccough has the sound of cup.
My advice is to give up!!!

English Pronunciation by G. Nolst Trenité
Mikey Loves Black Dick

Wilson, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

Judged:

Mikey wrote:
<quoted text>
Pity, guess you'll just have to 'tag team' with another bigot..POS
While you're getting spit roasted by Sharpton & Jackson
laughing man

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
f you can pronounce correctly every word in this poem, you will be speaking English better than 90% of the native English speakers in the world.
After trying the verses, a Frenchman said he’d prefer six months of hard labour to reading six lines aloud....
Such irony. I absolutely loathe the sound of French speakers, and the Chinese are a close second, with their 72 thousand variations of "how".

And then there's Lisping Brucie with "rathist" and "thivil rigthths"...
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

Judged:

laughing man wrote:
<quoted text>
I hear tell that Knoxville smells like Crisco this time of year.
Used Crisco...
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

Judged:

pinky wrote:
Why would you call me "bottomless"?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

Judged:

laughing man wrote:
<quoted text>
If you don't mind, I'll borrow that a time or two.
Feel free. Joanie Baloney is a particularly nasty little piece of work who needs all the tough love we can give him.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

Judged:

Rocky Hudsony wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would you call me "bottomless"?
You probably shouldn't ask.
laughing man

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

Judged:

Rocky Hudsony wrote:
<quoted text>
Used Crisco...
And re-used.

And regurgitated....
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
--Oh God... Here we go again... "Marriage is the basic unit of our society! There has never been and will never be a more important and key idea with regards to the entire human race." Please, you drama queen... Marriage is a manmade construct. Any two people can fall on top of one another and spit out a child. That's been happening since the beginning of time.
Spare me the histrionics.
--LGBT people were not enslaved, unless they were gay slaves. But neither were women, religious minorities, or the disabled. Yet we extend civil and equal rights to each one of these populations.
--Stop playing with semantics... Marriage has always been and will always be a manmade social and legal union between two or more people; depending on when your lived and where you lived. The way it has looked has varied widely over the eons. Allowing same-sex partners to benefit from the laws that protect married couples in this country is yet another rendition of marriage. Denial of marriage between same-sex partners has been based on the false and long held belief that homosexuals are disordered. We no longer hold those beliefs--at least those in the medical, psychiatric, biological, and other scientific communities.
Laws are based on facts. And the facts clearly show that openly gay individuals do not suffer "personal angst or social disability"--the basis for determining if a human characteristic is a mental or physical disorder.
OMG, You're calling HIM a drama queen? That's laughable...
" Any two people can fall on top of one another and spit out a child. That's been happening since the beginning of time." This is meant to demonize heterosexuals? I fail to see how... However, I will point out that it takes 1 man and 1 woman to conceive a child.

"Spare me the histrionics." precedes "LGBT people were not enslaved, unless they were gay slaves. But neither were women, religious minorities, or the disabled. Yet we extend civil and equal rights to each one of these populations."? Priceless. "Women" are not a minority based upon sexual predilection, nor are "religious minorites" or "the disabled", which are all groups that are defined by qualities that are not based upon sexual predilection, as previously pointed out as per women. their fight is not your fight, you dishonor them all by attempting to cozy up to them and insinuate similarity.

"Stop playing with semantics" followed by " Marriage has always been and will always be a manmade social and legal union between two or more people" which is semantic deception. It has not. It has always been between 1 man and 1 woman, you have not yet been given license to re-writwe history, which is something that you have no respect for, anyway, according to your own posts. "depending on when your lived and where you lived." Untrue, nowhere in the world or history has marriage ever been between 2 of the same gender, see above point as per the revision of history. "The way it has looked has varied widely over the eons." Falsity again, it has always "looked like" 1 man and 1 woman. "Allowing same-sex partners to benefit from the laws that protect married couples in this country is a rendering of marriage." should be what you wrote, if you were actually interested in a true statement. "Denial of marriage between same-sex partners has been based on the false and long held belief that homosexuals are disordered." is another batch of hogwash. If we have had criteria in place by which to judge one another, then "disordered" is what you have been. Until you brought in some psychiatrists to make the majority seem "disordered" for having our tenets. "We no longer hold those beliefs--at least those in the medical, psychiatric, biological, and other scientific communities." is perfect proof of this point. Using the opinions of "professionals" to try and disarm us.
I would continue to dissect your posts, but I am out of room. And, I have debunked you already.
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
You probably shouldn't ask.
My bottom is intact, much to their dismay...
:-D

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Since: Feb 09

Northern California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:[nonsense snipped].
The crucial question remains lingering in the background. What about the O.T. laws that are conveniently ignored, but of equal weight? Biblicists act as if many did not exist. The following examples are typical:

Money cannot be lent at interest to your brother, only to foreigners (Deut. 23:19-20);
Eating pork is forbidden (Deut. 14:8);
A man must marry and have relations with his dead brother's wife (Deut. 25:5-6);
A seducer must marry an unengaged virgin whom he seduces (Ex. 22:16-17);
A raped, unengaged virgin must marry her rapist and they can never divorce (Deut. 22:28-29);
Trials for adultery are to be by ordeal (Num. 5:28-29);
Eating rare meat with blood is forbidden (Lev. 19:26);
Beards can't be rounded (Lev. 19:27);
A newly married man can't go to war or be charged with business for one year (Deut. 24:5);
A guilty man can be beaten with as many as forty blows (Deut. 25:1-3);
A garment composed of wool and linen can't be worn (Deut. 22:11);
Punishment shall be administered on the basis of an eye for an eye (Deut. 19:21, Ex. 21:24);
One's nation can lend to other nations but not borrow from them (Deut. 15:6);
Bastards can't enter the Lord's congregation (Deut. 23:2);
First-born children should sometimes be sacrificed to the Lord (Ex. 22:29); and
Debtor brothers shall be released from their obligation every seven years (Deut. 15:1-3).

All of these rules are part of the Old Covenant and of equal import. Why quote the Ten Commandments and rules against homosexuality, for example, while ignoring other tenets? A believer's obligations to one is no less than his obligation to all. In fact, if under the New Covenant Christians have stepped into the shoes of the Israelites and become, in effect, the new Chosen People, then they should inherit all the privileges and duties of that office. They seem to want the former but not the latter. Jesus said the Old Law would stand until heaven and earth passed away. Not one jot or tittle was to be changed until all was fulfilled (Matt. 5:18-19 RSV). Paul disagreed, but, then, this is not the only topic upon which they clashed.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

Judged:

Rocky Hudsony wrote:
<quoted text>
My bottom is intact, much to their dismay...
:-D
Mine too. Except for my hot Indian lady doctor. The little freak wants to stick her finger in there every year. And a few years ago she talked me into letting her and a nurse (hot Filipina) run a camera up there while we all watched on a high def screen! She got me all drugged up first.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

Judged:

Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
The crucial question remains lingering in the background. What about the O.T. laws that are conveniently ignored, but of equal weight? Biblicists act as if many did not exist. The following examples are typical:
Money cannot be lent at interest to your brother, only to foreigners (Deut. 23:19-20);
Eating pork is forbidden (Deut. 14:8);
A man must marry and have relations with his dead brother's wife (Deut. 25:5-6);
A seducer must marry an unengaged virgin whom he seduces (Ex. 22:16-17);
A raped, unengaged virgin must marry her rapist and they can never divorce (Deut. 22:28-29);
Trials for adultery are to be by ordeal (Num. 5:28-29);
Eating rare meat with blood is forbidden (Lev. 19:26);
Beards can't be rounded (Lev. 19:27);
A newly married man can't go to war or be charged with business for one year (Deut. 24:5);
A guilty man can be beaten with as many as forty blows (Deut. 25:1-3);
A garment composed of wool and linen can't be worn (Deut. 22:11);
Punishment shall be administered on the basis of an eye for an eye (Deut. 19:21, Ex. 21:24);
One's nation can lend to other nations but not borrow from them (Deut. 15:6);
Bastards can't enter the Lord's congregation (Deut. 23:2);
First-born children should sometimes be sacrificed to the Lord (Ex. 22:29); and
Debtor brothers shall be released from their obligation every seven years (Deut. 15:1-3).
All of these rules are part of the Old Covenant and of equal import. Why quote the Ten Commandments and rules against homosexuality, for example, while ignoring other tenets? A believer's obligations to one is no less than his obligation to all. In fact, if under the New Covenant Christians have stepped into the shoes of the Israelites and become, in effect, the new Chosen People, then they should inherit all the privileges and duties of that office. They seem to want the former but not the latter. Jesus said the Old Law would stand until heaven and earth passed away. Not one jot or tittle was to be changed until all was fulfilled (Matt. 5:18-19 RSV). Paul disagreed, but, then, this is not the only topic upon which they clashed.
Aw fer chrissakes SHUDDUP!
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

Judged:

Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>(Nonsense)
Here you are, telling other people to march to your drumbeat. Why don't you tell them what their favorite color should be, while you're at it? And, why haven't you posted a Youtube video yet? I'm waiting for the video, so that I may sleep easier, knowing that one less fool exists to breathe my air....
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

Judged:

pinky wrote:
Quit butting in with your bottomless racism and shuudup.
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Mine too. Except for my hot Indian lady doctor. The little freak wants to stick her finger in there every year. And a few years ago she talked me into letting her and a nurse (hot Filipina) run a camera up there while we all watched on a high def screen! She got me all drugged up first.
Can I have their phone number?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

Judged:

I'm still here. It's just that what Rev Alan posts is so stupid I slipped into a coma for a few minutes.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 2 min Respect71 2,935
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 3 min More Important Th... 49,410
Pizza chain sued over healthcare for gay couples 17 min nhjeff 3
White, straight women leading surge in infertil... 19 min rhb 20
Legislature Says No to "Gay Panic" Defense 25 min nhjeff 6
Pat Robertson Blames 'God Of The Heathen' For R... 30 min NE Jade 3
Lesbians Were Reported To Have The Most Orgasms... 31 min Rambone 22
Gay Marriage Vs. the First Amendment 38 min O yea 248
Gay marriage (Mar '13) 39 min Pietro Armando 54,811
Judge critical of states defending gay marriage... 8 hr Fa-Foxy 34
Supreme Court: Was gay marriage settled in 1972... 9 hr Frankie Rizzo 386
Becker & Poliakoff Lawyer Sends Anti-Gay Email ... 9 hr DNF 21
•••
Enter and win $5000