Baptists consider dropping Boy Scouts...

Baptists consider dropping Boy Scouts over stance on gay scouts

There are 917 comments on the The Clarion-Ledger story from Jun 11, 2013, titled Baptists consider dropping Boy Scouts over stance on gay scouts. In it, The Clarion-Ledger reports that:

The Rev. A.J. Smith says it's too early for Southern Baptists to give up on the Boy Scouts.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Clarion-Ledger.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#26 Jun 12, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't all these "many welcoming churches" already sponsor troops?
Many stopped supporting scouts because of the blatant discrimination. If they were forced to remove boys from the troop as they became sexually aware, how could the churches possibly teach their values?

Of course, rejecting adult homosexuals is also problematic for their values. But they are focusing on the children and the progress that scouts are making. First steps are important, and scouts will undoubtedly accept gay adult leaders in the near future.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#27 Jun 12, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Many stopped supporting scouts because of the blatant discrimination. If they were forced to remove boys from the troop as they became sexually aware, how could the churches possibly teach their values?
Of course, rejecting adult homosexuals is also problematic for their values. But they are focusing on the children and the progress that scouts are making. First steps are important, and scouts will undoubtedly accept gay adult leaders in the near future.
Few holes here, Jeff.

I don't think any troops conducted 'sexual preference purges'. I'd take a citation if you know of this happening.
Brian

Attleboro, MA

#28 Jun 12, 2013
Lilith_Sparkles wrote:
who cares... there christains
Christians are one of the biggest problems with this country. I'm with you. Feed them to the lions!

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#29 Jun 12, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Few holes here, Jeff.
I don't think any troops conducted 'sexual preference purges'. I'd take a citation if you know of this happening.
There have been cases where boys have been refused their final Eagle Scout certification after doing all the required work because they came out. If you Google it, you'll find a lot of cases where boys have been kicked out of scout troops for being gay.

But the big issue isn't about the boys at all. It's about not letting a gay person be in a position where other boys might learn to know and respect that person. THAT is what the heads of the Boy Scouts are so afraid of. They know that they can't continue their campaign of anti-gay fear and lies if the boys get to know real live gay people.

They're clearly not afraid of the boys being accosted by sexual predators since they DO still let them go to church, right??
Dan

Omaha, NE

#30 Jun 12, 2013
eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
There have been cases where boys have been refused their final Eagle Scout certification after doing all the required work because they came out. If you Google it, you'll find a lot of cases where boys have been kicked out of scout troops for being gay.
But the big issue isn't about the boys at all. It's about not letting a gay person be in a position where other boys might learn to know and respect that person. THAT is what the heads of the Boy Scouts are so afraid of. They know that they can't continue their campaign of anti-gay fear and lies if the boys get to know real live gay people.
They're clearly not afraid of the boys being accosted by sexual predators since they DO still let them go to church, right??
I'll check the stuff out RE: the boys who came out. I'm sure you're right on that.

Strictly speaking, do you feel it's it the BSA's obligation to present openly homosexual adults to the scouts as leaders?
heartandmind

Moline, IL

#31 Jun 12, 2013
still don't see how the baptists withdrawing their "support" of boy scouts is a bad thing. their announcement should neither come as a surprise nor as a "let down".

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#32 Jun 12, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical gay comment, charging others of what they themselves are guilty of doing all the time.
So you too are tossing young kids to the wind, nice Christian attitude. I would think you would want to stay and show the kids how to be forgiving christians, instead of being a petulant little bitch. I guess I was wrong.

I am really learning a lot about Christians and it is NOT pretty, I am afraid.

Palm Springs, California

#33 Jun 12, 2013
Brian wrote:
<quoted text>
Christians are one of the biggest problems with this country. I'm with you. Feed them to the lions!
It's an oldie, but a goodie:

At the Roman Forum, the lions had just gotten done eating many Christians and were returned to their cages. One of the lions noticed his buddy lion licking his own ass.

"Why are you doing that?" he cried.
"I'm trying to get the taste of Christians out of my mouth!" He replied.
Brian

Attleboro, MA

#34 Jun 12, 2013
Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>It's an oldie, but a goodie:
At the Roman Forum, the lions had just gotten done eating many Christians and were returned to their cages. One of the lions noticed his buddy lion licking his own ass.
"Why are you doing that?" he cried.
"I'm trying to get the taste of Christians out of my mouth!" He replied.
Ha, ha! That's priceless!

“Building Better Worlds”

Since: May 13

Europa

#35 Jun 12, 2013
Baptists, ESPECIALLY Southern Baptists, have taken as their CORE VALUE, the abiding FEAR that SOMEBODY, SOMEWHERE, is actually happy with their life.

AND THEY MEAN TO FIX THAT !

They make the Puritans look like GLEEFUL LIBERTINES.

dollarsbill

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#36 Jun 12, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Titus 3
King James Version (KJV)
"1 Put them in mind to be subject to principalities and powers, to obey magistrates, to be ready to every good work,
2 To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men.
3 For we ourselves also were sometimes foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, and hating one another.
4 But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared,....
That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
8 This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men.
9 But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain."
2 Timothy 4:2-3 (KJV)
2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

dollarsbill

Location hidden

#37 Jun 12, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
You should definitely ask for a reprobate or replacement. Your mind is not working up to expectations.
"they could not believe" "He has blinded their eyes"

John 12:39-40 (NKJV)
39 Therefore they could not believe, because Isaiah said again: 40 "He has blinded their eyes and hardened their hearts, Lest they should see with their eyes, Lest they should understand with their hearts and turn, So that I should heal them."

dollarsbill

Location hidden

#38 Jun 12, 2013
Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>So you too are tossing young kids to the wind, nice Christian attitude. I would think you would want to stay and show the kids how to be forgiving christians, instead of being a petulant little bitch. I guess I was wrong.
I am really learning a lot about Christians and it is NOT pretty, I am afraid.
You are saying for us to toss our children to the wolves. No thanks.
heartandmind

Moline, IL

#39 Jun 12, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
Luke 6:31 And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them.

Romans 12:10 Love one another with brotherly affection. Out do one another in showing honor.

Ephesians 4:29-32 Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.

Colossians 3:12-14 Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony.

some good admonishments on how christians should treat others.
Sgt Common Sense

Fairfield, CT

#40 Jun 12, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
So Titus 3 isn't valid?

dollarsbill

Location hidden

#41 Jun 12, 2013
heartandmind wrote:
<quoted text>
Luke 6:31 And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them.
Romans 12:10 Love one another with brotherly affection. Out do one another in showing honor.
Ephesians 4:29-32 Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.
Colossians 3:12-14 Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony.
some good admonishments on how christians should treat others.
Certainly, but it doesn't mean to stop waring the wicked. We are to pull them from the fire.

Jude 1:23 (NKJV)
23 but others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire, hating even the garment defiled by the flesh.
heartandmind

Moline, IL

#42 Jun 12, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
Certainly, but it doesn't mean to stop waring the wicked. We are to pull them from the fire.
Jude 1:23 (NKJV)
23 but others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire, hating even the garment defiled by the flesh.
Titus 3:10
Warn a divisive person once, and then warn them a second time. After that, have nothing to do with them.

Romans 16:17
I urge you, brothers and sisters, to watch out for those who cause divisions and put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teaching you have learned. Keep away from them.

Romans 14:1-23
As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions. One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him. Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand. One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.

Littleton, NH

#43 Jun 12, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Few holes here, Jeff.
While nobody has publicized expulsion of scouts, we are certainly aware of the way status was denied to scouts just because of their sexual orientation. Do you think it is right that a young man who has honorably fulfilled the same requirements as all Eagle Scouts should be denied the status because there is homophobia in the national board?

Your strategy of putting your head in the sand and pretending nothing is wrong is a failure.

Littleton, NH

#44 Jun 12, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll check the stuff out RE: the boys who came out. I'm sure you're right on that.
Strictly speaking, do you feel it's it the BSA's obligation to present openly homosexual adults to the scouts as leaders?
If Scouts want to present the best possible role models for boys of all backgrounds, yes: They should recruit a diverse role of leadership.

Palm Springs, California

#45 Jun 12, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
You are saying for us to toss our children to the wolves. No thanks.
Ah, so you ADMIT you are a tight ass petulant non forgiving ""Christian" " who is IGNORING Jesus' model and just think you are the end all and be all, huh?

Why not follow JESUS' behavior and forgive? Oh, that's right, YOU are the authority on behavior and do what YOU want to do, NOT what Jesus would do. Got it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Maybe god is gay! (Dec '09) 6 min June VanDerMark 13,022
News Tanzania to publish 'list of gay people' 25 min Gotcha 2
News Tupelo mother, son featured on LGBT video 47 min Imprtnrd 15
News Suffolk bishop says rejection of controversial ... 48 min Rainbow Kid 1
News Washington court rules against florist in gay w... 1 hr PayupSucka 43
News Duke freshman says Jesus forbids him from readi... (Aug '15) 1 hr blue devil 70
News Scott Lively Calls On Trump To Ban Gays From In... 1 hr Rainbow Kid 3
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 2 hr Just Think 24,713
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 8 hr River Tam 44,894
More from around the web