Accepting homosexuals: schism or salve?

Accepting homosexuals: schism or salve?

There are 7 comments on the www.news-leader.com story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Accepting homosexuals: schism or salve?. In it, www.news-leader.com reports that:

When the Episcopal Church USA voted to allow ordination of gay clergy and develop a liturgy to bless same- sex unions, Kendall Seal saw it as an opportunity to welcome more people into the church.

The Rev. Carl Eyberg saw the action as a precursor to "further division" within the church and the larger Anglican Communion.

Seal and Eyberg, both of Springfield, are expressing viewpoints shared by many people on either side of the issues of sexuality and faith that have been in the headlines during the Episcopal Church's General Convention the past two weeks ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.news-leader.com.

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

#1 Jul 18, 2009
"... In the United States, the Episcopal Church has already experienced a split of sorts over the issue.
Last month, breakaway Episcopal conservatives and other like-minded traditionalists formed a rival national province to the Episcopal Church called the Anglican Church in North America. The new body includes four seceding Episcopal dioceses and is supported by several overseas Anglican leaders who have broken ties with the Episcopal Church.

The church's presiding bishop, Katharine Schori, acknowledged that the church lost 19,000 members last year."

Only 19,000? The ACNA claims a membership of 100,000.
Angry Pastries

Littleton, CO

#2 Jul 18, 2009
And those 19,000 must have been REALLY wealthy with all the cuts made to the denominational budget and the upcoming job layoffs! Wow!
Pete

London, KY

#3 Jul 1, 2013
I guess God does accept Homosexually now!!!. You know, I once asked God for a wife, 5 months later, He gave me a wh**e!. I do admit, I used to blaspheme God a couple of years on down before this, but I stopped this. I figured this is the reason God raped me. If God didn't want to give me a wife, He sure as Hell didn't have to give me that rotten wh**e!!!. Because God foistered this evil upon me, my blaspheming Him came back with a vengence!!!. I lay it on old God now and I don't care if I do go burn forever, HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!. I blaspheme God real good now. I do it more then ever and I for one is a might proud of that fact, HAHAHHAHA!!!!!!!...GIVE ME ANOTHER WH**E GOD!!!!!!!!!.

“Building Better Worlds”

Since: May 13

Europa

#4 Jul 1, 2013
Joe DeCaro wrote:
"... In the United States, the Episcopal Church has already experienced a split of sorts over the issue.
Last month, breakaway Episcopal conservatives and other like-minded traditionalists formed a rival national province to the Episcopal Church called the Anglican Church in North America. The new body includes four seceding Episcopal dioceses and is supported by several overseas Anglican leaders who have broken ties with the Episcopal Church.
The church's presiding bishop, Katharine Schori, acknowledged that the church lost 19,000 members last year."
Only 19,000? The ACNA claims a membership of 100,000.
As I understand it, in The Episcopal Church, all of the buildings, real estate, etc, belongs to the The episcopal Church, and not the individual congregation, so those that left must've had to have funds to at least rent a building, and the other things they need.

I'm an ELCA Lutheran, and in 2009, ELCA voted to allow gay and lesbian pastors,and to allow gay and lesbian people to marry in the church. And although there were dire pronouncements at the time, that hundreds of congregations, and tens of thousands of people would leave ELCA, some congregations left, but certainly not the numbers predicted. And if some congregations leave their various denominations over this, I don' think that that is a bad thing, because it reduces dissension and tension in the church.

The main difference between ELCA & TEC when a congregation leaves is that in ELCA, the congregation owns EVERYTHING so they can take all their stuff, while it's the opposite situation for TEC congregations.

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

#5 Jul 2, 2013
Europa Report wrote:
... The main difference between ELCA & TEC when a congregation leaves is that in ELCA, the congregation owns EVERYTHING so they can take all their stuff, while it's the opposite situation for TEC congregations.
TEC still loses its congregation, leaving a gutted church that eventually has to be sold because the remnant of "continuing" Episcopalians can't afford the building's upkeep.

However, that doesn't explain the missing 81,000 X-Episcopalians.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#7 Jul 5, 2013
Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
TEC still loses its congregation, leaving a gutted church that eventually has to be sold because the remnant of "continuing" Episcopalians can't afford the building's upkeep.
However, that doesn't explain the missing 81,000 X-Episcopalians.
Well, LOL,... It doesn't explain why ACNA isn't growing much, either.
Robert

Wayne, NJ

#8 Jul 6, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, LOL,... It doesn't explain why ACNA isn't growing much, either.
Since 2009, ACNA has planted 230 congregations and since June of 2012 there are about 60 more in the process of forming.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for a girlfriend for a married bi-sexual (Aug '08) 7 min Pleasures feminin... 55
News Singer Greg Gould: 'I was told not to be too gay' 1 hr Marco R s Secret ... 1
News Gay Pride just 'not black enough' 1 hr Marco R s Secret ... 1
News Scientists reveal lesbians are MUCH more likely... 1 hr Marco R s Secret ... 6
News Is your child a "prehomosexual"? Forecasting ad... (Sep '10) 1 hr Dr. Q 773
News Trans woman in Halifax questions if prejudice i... 2 hr Dr. Q 6
News Hundreds rally, march for transgender rights in... 2 hr Dr. Q 4
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 7 hr Constitution 101 24,775
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 8 hr TomInElPaso 45,145
More from around the web