Chick-fil-A Vallejo Location Faces Opposition

Jul 17, 2014 Full story: EDGE 232

The anti-gay chicken fast-food restaurant Chick-fil-A is planning to open an eatery in Vallejo A proposed Chick-fil-A location in Vallejo has drawn opposition from LGBT residents and others due to the company's anti-gay history.

Full Story
Christaliban

Philadelphia, PA

#104 Jul 22, 2014
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
We cannot deny marriage equality because of moral disapproval.
That's not the reason among many I supplied that the government has a rational purpose in barring polygamy.

While you were spinning your non existent wheels and trying to find you gonads under the non existent IED I was making economic and legal arguments.

Not moral ones.

Can't you troll better?
Christaliban

Philadelphia, PA

#105 Jul 22, 2014
GEE wrote:
The personal values of a business owner have no place in this particular decision
It's the corporate policies we're discussing, and you're wrong in any event.

Educated communities didn't want Cracker Barrel outlets back when that company was (provably) discriminating against black customers.

It's too bad if bigots don't like finding things harder, harder to find friends, harder to find jobs, harder to open up businesses, harder to not get sued for being bigoted.

Of course Chick fil A has tried to discreetly back off from its branding of hate...because someday - oh, today - it's going to want to expand into blue areas and onto college campuses....
Left Hook

Fairfield, CA

#106 Jul 22, 2014
Christaliban wrote:
<quoted text>
Educated communities didn't want Cracker Barrel outlets back when that company was (provably) discriminating against black customers.
It's too bad if bigots don't like finding things harder, harder to find friends, harder to find jobs, harder to open up businesses, harder to not get sued for being bigoted.
Of course Chick fil A has tried to discreetly back off from its branding of hate...because someday - oh, today - it's going to want to expand into blue areas and onto college campuses....
Nah its not hard to find jobs or be around like minded people. The people doing the hiring will simply throw a possible trouble makers resume in the garbage.
GEE

Oakland, CA

#107 Jul 23, 2014
Christaliban wrote:
<quoted text>
I/we are not discussing corporate policies. This is a land use issue and if the business and or the location for it is appropriate for the site.
I have no influence over what a privately owned business does and whom they support monetarely or otherwise.
Like I stated many times before, if you want to punish a business because you do not agree with its practices and believes, do not frequent it and or buy their product.

Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#108 Jul 23, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
1.. First off, I'm not gay.
2. Second, no, most children *don't* know what homosexuality is.
3. Third, that you object to teaching kids not to be hateful bigots towards people who are different is rather telling.
4. That you view teaching children to be respectful and kind as brainwashing is pretty telling too.
1. Irrelevant.
2. Really? Where? If true, do you think they will ever know unless they are brainwashed?
3. School should be safe for every kid. Anti-bullying efforts shouldn't favor gays over any other kid.
4. You bet it is. "you won't know if you like it unless you try it" from a kid about 5 years old.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#109 Jul 23, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Irrelevant.
It's relevant, as I am correcting your mistake.
Wondering wrote:
2. Really? Where? If true, do you think they will ever know unless they are brainwashed?
Yes, really. If a child is raised by straight parents and has older siblings who are straight, how would they know that there are also gay people?
Wondering wrote:
3. School should be safe for every kid. Anti-bullying efforts shouldn't favor gays over any other kid.
They don't. Bullying is partly fueled by ignorance. By informing kids about differences, they eliminate that. Guess what? Not everyone is straight, white, and Christian.
Wondering wrote:
4. You bet it is. "you won't know if you like it unless you try it" from a kid about 5 years old.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =ZrZJpt-tGxIXX
The kid was talking about vegetables, not sex. You don't have to try gay sex to know you're not attracted to people of the same gender. Way to totally misrepresent what was said.
Holy Silicon Wafer

Philadelphia, PA

#110 Jul 23, 2014
GEE wrote:
<quoted text>
I/we are not discussing corporate policies. This is a land use issue and if the business and or the location for it is appropriate for the site.
I have no influence over what a privately owned business does and whom they support monetarely or otherwise.
Like I stated many times before, if you want to punish a business because you do not agree with its practices and believes, do not frequent it and or buy their product.
It is about Chick fil A's corporate giving, their corporate policies.

And you conveniently ignored the example of Cracker Barrel - no decent community would have wanted to have one of their franchises back when they were (provably, overtly,) barring black customers. Some things are beyond the "pale." Same for homophobic bigots...even though Chick fil A has hired a gay centered public relations consultant of some sort to help it toe tap away from its branding of "bigot," imo.

Anyway, college campuses have a lot more say over what outlets get contracts on campus. It is probably more important to stop Chick fil A in those venues. Because a college campus in essence translates into future corporate earnings growth in blue enclaves.

I agree that so called first order boycotts are fine.
GEE

Oakland, CA

#111 Jul 23, 2014
I am not ignoring anything.
Cracker Barrel is not the issue and with all due respect to your opinion that no "decent community" would have wanted them around "then" (vs. "now") it seems reassuring to me that barring anyone from any place has been legally resolved.

Personally I am not concerned about the life style of others unless it is continually shoved into my face that they are equal yet different from me and thereby deserve protection. I do not care what you do in the sanctity of your four walls, I do not make it a point to tell everyone who wishes to not listen nor wants to know (until now) that I have been "doing" the same person for 50 years and therefore need protection from those that have chosen a same sex relationship and by that action must be bigots about my life style.

I am thrilled that you do agree that not patronizing any business that does not morally stand up to your code of conduct should be boycotted.
I will however tell you that if they measure up to my standards I will happily pass by and ignore your opinion about said business.

That is my opinion ....and since you are bringing the past into your post and I am an older opinionated senior.... the following saying does apply to today as it did "in the old days", Opinions are like rectums, the majority of us does have one"!
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#112 Jul 23, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
1. It's relevant, as I am correcting your mistake.
2. Yes, really. If a child is raised by straight parents and has older siblings who are straight, how would they know that there are also gay people?
3. They don't.
4. Bullying is partly fueled by ignorance. By informing kids about differences, they eliminate that. Guess what? Not everyone is straight, white, and Christian.
5. The kid was talking about vegetables, not sex. You don't have to try gay sex to know you're not attracted to people of the same gender. Way to totally misrepresent what was said.
1. Still irrelevant to me.
2. Turn on a TV set. Go to Disneyworld. Be an elementary school student in Lexington.
3. They do. GSA networks, GLSEN, GLAAD and a host of others.
4. Impossible task for public schools. Would leave no time for a real education.
5. Wrong, he was talking about keeping an open mind. He made the vegetable analogy so lides could understand it.
Chick-fil-A

Scotts Valley, CA

#113 Jul 23, 2014
Killing fat red-necks one at a time.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#114 Jul 23, 2014
Mmmmm. Chik-fil-A.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#115 Jul 23, 2014
Chick-fil-A wrote:
Killing fat red-necks one at a time.
Chicken is healthy! Especially Chik-fil-A chicken. It's made from gay chickens. Fire Island Lavenders instead of Rhode Island Reds.

Location hidden

#116 Jul 23, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Still irrelevant to me.
Yes, I'm well aware that you don't care about being wrong.
Wondering wrote:
2. Turn on a TV set. Go to Disneyworld. Be an elementary school student in Lexington.
Children's tv shows have a lot of discussions about homosexuality or gay characters? Disneyworld is full of gay rides? Lexington schools?
Wondering wrote:
3. They do. GSA networks, GLSEN, GLAAD and a host of others.
How does targeting an area where a lot of bullying takes place mean other forms of bullying are ignored?
Wondering wrote:
4. Impossible task for public schools. Would leave no time for a real education.
lol, I didn't realize something like a short assembly eliminated the entire school year.
Wondering wrote:
5. Wrong, he was talking about keeping an open mind. He made the vegetable analogy so lides could understand it.
He gave an example of being open minded with trying vegetables. YOU, and your garbage video, implied that the kids are being taught to try homosexuality.

Because you're liars.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#117 Jul 23, 2014
The_Box wrote:
1. Children's tv shows have a lot of discussions about homosexuality or gay characters?
2. Disneyworld is full of gay rides?
3. Lexington schools?
4. How does targeting an area where a lot of bullying takes place mean other forms of bullying are ignored?
5. He gave an example of being open minded with trying vegetables. YOU, and your garbage video, implied that the kids are being taught to try homosexuality.
6. Because you're liars.
1. Gays wanted to make Bert and Ernie gay. People don't lock up their kids when they watch TV, do you?
2. It's full of gay employees and visitors.

4. There is only one type of bullying to a kid. He/she is singled out and tormented. Swift and strict punishment should happen. If it includes violence the police should be called and charges filed.
5. Sure looks that way. As for the garbage video, it was produced by gays for gays and to be used as a tool to brainwash kids and parents. Good luck with that.
6. Right, and you're gay.
Duh

Vallejo, CA

#118 Jul 23, 2014
Get out of the box more.

Bullying and all that hubbub is all politics and about controlling the narrative.

Stop letting women raise boys. Stop letting women try to turn little boys into little girls.
Duh

Vallejo, CA

#119 Jul 23, 2014
(The truth is that all bullying is specific. One or more perps. One or more victims. There is no "group" targeting. A-holes target the weak... So, maybe stop being weak? I hear Charles Atlas can teach you a thing or two about how to avoid getting sand kicked on you at the beach.)
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#120 Jul 23, 2014
Christaliban wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not the reason among many I supplied that the government has a rational purpose in barring polygamy.
While you were spinning your non existent wheels and trying to find you gonads under the non existent IED I was making economic and legal arguments.
Not moral ones.
Can't you troll better?
I do a great job, I made you have about 20 cute little hissy fits, eh troll? You forgot your were a troll there for a while. Got real mad and real silly. That's not supposed to happen Bozo, you're supposed to be the guy making people react like little idiots, not do it yourself. Backfired on ya, eh? Ah good times.

Location hidden

#121 Jul 23, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Gays wanted to make Bert and Ernie gay. People don't lock up their kids when they watch TV, do you?
Nice evasion. The answer to the question, as you know, is "No". Per the actual show that kids watch, Bert and Ernie aren't gay.
Wondering wrote:
2. It's full of gay employees and visitors.
Full of em? More so than any other public place? Do Cinderella and Snow White make out?
Wondering wrote:
3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =sYOWRX41Qu0XX
Oh mah god, kids learned that gay people exist because they read a book that had gay people in it.
Wondering wrote:
4. There is only one type of bullying to a kid. He/she is singled out and tormented. Swift and strict punishment should happen. If it includes violence the police should be called and charges filed.
There are many types of bullying. And, as I said before, much of it is based on ignorance. Fixing that ignorance is one solution to bullying.
Wondering wrote:
5. Sure looks that way. As for the garbage video, it was produced by gays for gays and to be used as a tool to brainwash kids and parents. Good luck with that.
That video was an edit clip with "gay agenda" in the title. What brainwashing is occurring? That gay people are people?
Wondering wrote:
6. Right, and you're gay.
Correct, and incorrect. Thank you for admitting to being a liar though.

Since: Aug 11

Scotts Valley, CA

#122 Jul 23, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Irrelevant.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =ZrZJpt-tGxIXX
All kids get bullied with anti-gay slurs, which is why anti-bullying efforts include teaching such slurs to be wrong.
Holy Silicon Wafer

Philadelphia, PA

#124 Jul 23, 2014
GEE wrote:
I am not ignoring anything.
Cracker Barrel is not the issue....Personally I am not concerned about the life style of others unless it is continually shoved into my face
You're a stoopit bigot and here's why:

Cracker Barrel had (has, probably) corporate policies of barring black customers. Or else a whole lot of franchises just magically did that. That is abject bigotry. Chick fil A's corporate giving, and the activities of its apparently quite sick, former CEO, amount to abject bigotry.

Except you like homophobia, so to you that is not comparable to Cracker Barrel. And we know this because you refer to sexual orientation as "a lifestyle."

Of course the real people who push their "lifestyle" in everyone's faces has always been heterosexuals...with their ribald spring breaks, their romantic comedies, their wedding announcements in the newspaper, their beauty pageants.

If you weren't a bigot you'd want everyone's "lifestyle choice" kept secret or no one's "lifestyle choice" kept secret. You're merely sexually ill.

And increasingly educated communities - academic, corporate, entertainment industry, geographic - do not wish to abet bigots.

So tough sht. You're ignorant and always will be. Fortunately the homophobes are predominantly in the older and less educated demographics now. It's a waiting game.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 4 min Rick in Kansas 7,960
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 12 min KARLA 68,647
Man Suing Colorado Bakery Is Christian Academy ... 15 min Rick in Kansas 11
GOP presses state bills limiting gay rights bef... 15 min Simon 21
California bars judges from Boy Scouts membership 23 min nhjeff 35
Is glorifying God a hate crime now? 23 min NoahLovesU 53
Biggest Gay Lies (May '14) 24 min Johnny 2,999
Man takes legal action after Denver baker refus... 1 hr Christsharia Law 192
Analysis: Equal rights or statesa rights on gay... 1 hr WeTheSheeple 162
Catholic Church Waging War on Women and Gays (Oct '07) 5 hr Ink 219,826
More from around the web