Indiana Group to Oppose Gay Marriage Amendment

Aug 21, 2013 Full story: EDGE

An alliance of businesses and human rights groups is launching an effort to defeat passage of an amendment that would write Indiana's ban on same-sex marriage into the state constitution.

Read more

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#1 Aug 21, 2013
This is going to get ugly.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#2 Aug 21, 2013
The anti-gay industry knows this is their last gasp. A loss at the ballot in Indiana would be devastating. And the anti-gay should be wary of the precedent that Minnesota set. It's in their best interest to keep the status quo.

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#3 Aug 21, 2013
from the article, "We really need to recruit the very best and the very brightest," Lilly executive Rob Smith told The Associated Press on Tuesday. "We think writing this language into the state’s highest legal document will provide a barrier to those efforts."

I've always said that, ultimately, it's money and big business that will ensure marriage equality.

I have friends in the HR field that have told me for years now that one of the most common questions they get when they're recruiting talent is about the company's domestic partner benefits and their stance on marriage equality. Most of the people asking this are straight.

They ask, not because the benefits or the stance would directly benefit them, but because it tells them a great deal about the company they're interviewing with and, in turn, whether or not they want to work for that company.

As more states adopt marriage equality, it's going to get harder and harder for companies to recruit talent in the states that ban it. That means they'll either be forced to lobby for equal rights in those places, or close up shop and move their business elsewhere--someplace that has equal rights.

And it won't just be gay folks that will be abandoning the hate-based places. Our friends and family will make their decisions about where to live and work based, at least in part, on which places offer equality and which places ban it.

“Come and get it! ”

Since: Jan 09

Traverse City

#4 Aug 26, 2013
Good

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fire Island Artist Residency looking for home i... 4 min Rainbow Kid 6
News Indiana lawmakers send religious objection bill... 12 min Xstain Fatwass Ce... 103
News Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesse... 15 min NorCal Native 87
News Gay marriage (Mar '13) 23 min Cowabunga 58,847
News Mormon church backs Utah LGBT anti-discriminati... 23 min Xstain Fatwass Ce... 1,691
News Indiana's Religious 'Anti-Gay' Law That Wasn't 25 min Fa-Foxy 2
News Pastor stands against same-sex marriage 26 min Xstain Fatwass Ce... 325
News Businesses: Indiana's gay discrimination is bad... 2 hr bedbugbites 75
News Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 2 hr Belle Sexton 30,881
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 3 hr The Stupid Ones 17,782
News Lawmakers Consider Gay Discrimination Policies 5 hr nhjeff 1,606
More from around the web