Gay couple refused rental of a flat o...

Gay couple refused rental of a flat on the Isle of Man

There are 9 comments on the www.guardian.co.uk story from May 14, 2013, titled Gay couple refused rental of a flat on the Isle of Man. In it, www.guardian.co.uk reports that:

A lesbian couple on the Isle of Man are calling for a change in the law after being turned down for a flat on the basis of their sexual orientation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.guardian.co.uk.

Since: Jan 12

Port Richey, FL

#1 May 14, 2013
sadly even where laws do exist landlords can discriminate there are dozens of reasons they can and do use, "other than bigotry" at there disposal and if they do win a landlord can make there life a living hell the best thing is to just walk away.

“One Bigot at a Time”

Since: Apr 07

DC

#2 May 14, 2013
provision of service and equal housing opportunity, along with equal employment opportunity, are the next big issues for the gay rights movement to tackle. years ago, I thought that gay marriage would be a distant goal for us, but it ended up being the easier issue to address. meanwhile, we can still be fired, denied housing, and denied service, in most states.

It will be interesting to see how the supreme court dances around the issue of protected class status in their upcoming ruling on marriage.
Hans

Germany

#3 May 14, 2013
I wonder if the Isle of MAN would allow two gay men to shack up? Get it? isle of MAN. ROFL
Hans

Germany

#4 May 14, 2013
I guess the two dykes figured they ok since they consider themselves men.

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#6 May 14, 2013
Hans wrote:
I wonder if the Isle of MAN would allow two gay men to shack up? Get it? isle of MAN. ROFL
Wow, clever. You should be at a comedy club on Open Mic Night. I'm sure no one thought of that.

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#7 May 14, 2013
Hans wrote:
I guess the two dykes figured they ok since they consider themselves men.
If that's what you wanted to say, it looks as if you said it.

“Post-religious”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#8 May 14, 2013
Sceptical wrote:
provision of service and equal housing opportunity, along with equal employment opportunity, are the next big issues for the gay rights movement to tackle. years ago, I thought that gay marriage would be a distant goal for us, but it ended up being the easier issue to address. meanwhile, we can still be fired, denied housing, and denied service, in most states.
It will be interesting to see how the supreme court dances around the issue of protected class status in their upcoming ruling on marriage.
I agree; I've always thought that ending housing and job discrimination should have been higher priorities after getting rid of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" and discrimination against same-sex couples in immigration. Marriage is important, and we'll take it, but the others always seemed more urgent and affected more people.

Regarding the Supreme Court, they don't need to create a new "protected class status" for us to prevail, as Justice Kennedy hinted in a question to Charles Cooper in oral argument.

While the practical discrimination applies to gay people, the LEGAL discrimination in civil marriage isn't based on sexual orientation, it's based solely on sex (or as is often mislabeled, gender). No state bans gay people from marrying (many gay people have married straight partners); indeed, gay COUPLES can marry, provided it's a gay man marrying a lesbian woman. The key is the sex of the partners, not the sexual orientation.

If Kennedy follows though with the concern that he articulated in oral argument, we may have a ruling based on sex discrimination, which already requires heightened scrutiny. No need to create a new "protected class status." Both Prop 8 and DOMA fail under heightened scrutiny (I believe they fail under rational basis scrutiny as well, but I'm not convinced Kennedy would buy that).
Tea Bag Resude Cleanup

Levittown, PA

#10 May 14, 2013
Jeeshush said [sic] Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve, and Isle of Man, not Isle of Men.

Praiz!

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#11 May 15, 2013
Remember that this is a rather backwards little domain. It is not part of the UK proper but is a sort of dependency, along with the Channel Islands. As I recall, this place allowed caning as a punishment for crimes up until the 1980's or so.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Anti-gay parents compare LGBT student group at ... 34 min Rosa_Winkel 33
News Sanders: Don't blame Islam for Orlando shooting 39 min Ismail 787
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 41 min Respect71 37,359
News Pride parade steps off in New York in Orlando's... 47 min Beauty QUEEN 11
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 48 min Rosa_Winkel 13,115
News Pope says Church should ask forgiveness from ga... 49 min Beauty QUEEN 3
News Pope says gay people deserve an apology 51 min Beauty QUEEN 24
News Obama: Notion that being armed would have saved... 2 hr country 977
More from around the web