Supreme Court Same-Sex Ruling Creates...

Supreme Court Same-Sex Ruling Creates Quandary for Pastors.

There are 53 comments on the news.yahoo.com story from Jun 26, 2013, titled Supreme Court Same-Sex Ruling Creates Quandary for Pastors.. In it, news.yahoo.com reports that:

Yahoo News asked Americans who are tangibly affected by the Supreme Court's same-sex marriage decisions to react to Wednesday's rulings. Here's one perspective.

By J. Robert Hanson

I am at a crossroad: Do I preach on my faith's traditional definition of marriage or do I conform to the modern evolution mandated through the courts?

I'm pressed to choose between love for my faith and my love for my country -- a simple, but difficult choice. California's Proposition 8 and the federal DOMA law are two such examples. As late as 2008, the majority of Americans agreed with these measures. However, according to Gallup, that support has eroded. Ideologists have successfully changed the minds of many Americans. Apparently, the Supreme Court has chosen to agree.

In fact, the issue can get even more complicated in the future. Since the courts have chosen to define a same-sex union as marriage, there's been some question in California as to whether public opposition from the pulpit is considered to be "hate speech," according to SB 1234, legislation passed 2004.

If a pastor cannot legally voice his concerns on a moral subject, it makes it all the more difficult for ministers to win back the hearts of the populace. I love this country. I love my faith. I relish the principles of freedom Americans share. I also love the fact we can peacefully coexist in an environment of individualism. Presenting ideas and ideologies, winning each other to opposing views is what freedom is all about.

Freedom of speech has the potential of being lost in the land of equality.

And the quandary for pastors becomes greater in regard to speaking on the convictions of their faith. The Supreme Court's ruling favoring same-sex marriage forces pastors like me to make a disagreeable choice: love of faith or love of country?

Join the discussion below, or Read more at news.yahoo.com.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#21 Jun 26, 2013
EdmondWA wrote:
Ugh. How dumb.
Dear pastor,
Unless your church ADMINISTERS state and federal marriage benefits, then do WHATEVER YOU WANT.
Sheesh! Why do these people think anyone CARES what they "condone" or "accept"? If you're not in charge of handing out the state-issued rights of marriage to married couples, then you have nothing to worry about!
simply BRILLIANT.
BS Detector

Los Angeles, CA

#22 Jun 26, 2013
The Fabulous Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
If you cannot control your speech; then you cannot control the consequences
Do you have a point to that?

“Equality for ALL”

Since: Jul 10

Massachusetts

#23 Jun 26, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>RE: "No court would ever charge you for preaching from your pulpit to your congregation."
James Earl Jones.
"The Vernon Jones Story"
http://www.bing.com/videos/search...
The police ENTERED THE CHURCH to arrest him. Because he said in his sermon "In Alabama it's ok to kill a n****r."
Advocating murder is not protected speach in any forum but a crime regardless of venue.

Advacating that a segment of society are 'sinners' from the pulpit -- protected religious speach.
The Fabulous Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#24 Jun 26, 2013
BS Detector wrote:
<quoted text> Do you have a point to that?
You made my point
BS Detector

Los Angeles, CA

#25 Jun 26, 2013
<quoted text>
You made my point
Lovely. What point was that? It was a request for information, not a request for you to be snarky and say nothing of value.

I apologize for thinking I could get a straight (pardon the expression) answer.
The Fabulous Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#26 Jun 26, 2013
BS Detector wrote:
<quoted text> Lovely. What point was that? It was a request for information, not a request for you to be snarky and say nothing of value.
I apologize for thinking I could get a straight (pardon the expression) answer.
You didn't recognize the answer because you forgot you asked the question

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#27 Jun 26, 2013
DaveinMass wrote:
<quoted text>
Advocating murder is not protected speach in any forum but a crime regardless of venue.
Advacating that a segment of society are 'sinners' from the pulpit -- protected religious speach.
DID YOU WATCH THE VIDEO?

MY GUESS?
NOPE!

He wasn't advocating murder. He was giving a sermon that in Alabama at that time a white man WOULD be FINED for shooting a rabbit out of season. But nothing happens when white men shoot blacks boys on a Saturday Night.

At the same time in out nation's history, it was ILLEGAL to speak publicly against the racial laws of the State of Mississippi!(Watch the movie "The Help).

My point is that it DID happen before and it's happening NOW as well, in many parts of the world AND it COULD happen here if BOTH sides aren't MORE careful.

Hate Crimes are one thing. They are violent acts that target a group, just as a terrorist does.

BUT I WILL NOT endorse banning ANYONE'S speech.

As a pluralistic society we must accept multiple viewpoints.

Do do otherwise is to strip mankind of the free will God gave us all.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#28 Jun 26, 2013
<quoted text>
You made my point
stop being 'snarky' and give him a well thought out response please.

The Fabulous Rainbow Kid wrote: If you cannot control your speech; then you cannot control the consequences.

BS Detector wrote: Do you have a point to that?

DNF reminds both of the Butterfly effect.

Try dialogue instead of trading barbs please.

Now GIMME MY LEMON
(I have trolls to feed)
BS Detector

Los Angeles, CA

#29 Jun 26, 2013
<quoted text>
If you cannot control your speech; then you cannot control the consequences
Considering your subsequent stupid posts, you seem to think that if my speech isn't agreeable to you, I should be required to "control" it. Congratulations. You have just tried to re-write and invalidate the First Amendment. The fact is that the First Amendment is designed specifically to protect unpopular speech.

Just becaure you and your speech are stupid, should that stupid speech (and person) be "controlled" or removed from society just because a thinking person finds your desire to invalidate the First Amendment to be stupid and offensive? Is that the kind of "consequences" you mean?

Why do I try to make sense to stupid people?
BS Detector

Los Angeles, CA

#30 Jun 26, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>stop being 'snarky' and give him a well thought out response please.
Thank you! And I'm guessing we'll continue to disagree at times.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#31 Jun 26, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Thew police entered this church as the service was ending.
This happened before Martin, before Malcolm, before Harvey or Clinton or Bush or Obama.
This is a REAL FEAR for them.
The Vernon Jones Story"
http://www.bing.com/videos/search...
"Johns" (oops)

Here's a link to watch the entire film on YouTube:

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#32 Jun 26, 2013
BS Detector wrote:
<quoted text> Thank you! And I'm guessing we'll continue to disagree at times.
So I gather YOU want stop being snarky at times any more than I will.

Agreed?

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#33 Jun 26, 2013
"won't" not "want"
My bad

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#34 Jun 26, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
"Johns" (oops)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =CJH4e8cXlFwXX
Thanks.

If you find the clip of just the sermon and his arrest PM me PLEASE!

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#35 Jun 26, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>DID YOU WATCH THE VIDEO?
MY GUESS?
NOPE!
He wasn't advocating murder. He was giving a sermon that in Alabama at that time a white man WOULD be FINED for shooting a rabbit out of season. But nothing happens when white men shoot blacks boys on a Saturday Night.
At the same time in out nation's history, it was ILLEGAL to speak publicly against the racial laws of the State of Mississippi!(Watch the movie "The Help).
My point is that it DID happen before and it's happening NOW as well, in many parts of the world AND it COULD happen here if BOTH sides aren't MORE careful.
Hate Crimes are one thing. They are violent acts that target a group, just as a terrorist does.
BUT I WILL NOT endorse banning ANYONE'S speech.
As a pluralistic society we must accept multiple viewpoints.
Do do otherwise is to strip mankind of the free will God gave us all.
Final Sermon of Vernon Johns

&li st=PLkHXfVdotR9eJQPSA0e35PXesu pG4JKLQ

sorry I didn't have specific link at the time.

But DAMN!

Let them say I have nothing in common with blacks?

OH PUHLEEESE!

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#36 Jun 26, 2013
DNF wrote:
simply BRILLIANT.
Well, they keep saying GOD defined marriage, and we can't change it. In that case, God needs to get DOWN here, and start performing the actual benefits administrating himself! It seems to me that whoever does THAT is the one who gets to define marriage.

Didn't these people PRAY to God to get him to stop all this? They wanted the plaintiff's attorneys to "present their arguments in an inept, confusing and unconvincing way", and for them to "fail to gain traction in the minds of the Justices".

Why didn't this happen? God could've done all that, couldn't he? Harden some hearts? Keep marriage the way he wants? The current result can only have been his will, right?

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#37 Jun 26, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
"Johns" (oops)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =CJH4e8cXlFwXX
PAGING DAVID MOORE!

PAGING "Disciple of Jesus"

Paging "dollarbill"

(I, DNF, Hereby agree to cover all costs of Topix Troll food incurred by "SNYPER" in perpetuity.)

:)
The Fabulous Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#38 Jun 26, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>PAGING DAVID MOORE!
PAGING "Disciple of Jesus"
Paging "dollarbill"
(I, DNF, Hereby agree to cover all costs of Topix Troll food incurred by "SNYPER" in perpetuity.)
:)
Do you suppose they committed mass suicide?
Homophobia has that 'way' about it

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#39 Jun 26, 2013
<quoted text>
Do you suppose they committed mass suicide?
Homophobia has that 'way' about it
STOP THAT!

Joking about suicide isn't funny to someone who nearly succeeded 7 times.

Thanks for the buzzkill.

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#40 Jun 26, 2013
DNF wrote:
STOP THAT!
Joking about suicide isn't funny to someone who nearly succeeded 7 times.
Thanks for the buzzkill.
Glad you failed. Look what you got to see!:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 10 min lides 38,690
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 11 min Brian_G 15,684
News WikiLeaks Outs Saudi Gay Man, Rape Victims, and... 31 min Xstain Fumblement... 1
News After gay couple's home is egged, a community r... 34 min Frankie Rizzo 6
News This gay Senate candidate is running in the lan... 57 min Thad 21
News ACLU settles lawsuit over 'Some People Are Gay'... 1 hr lides 16
The Wednesday NE Jade Thread 2 hr Little Robbie 1
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 15 hr Frankie Rizzo 68,945
More from around the web