NJ's Christie Makes Final Case to Del...

NJ's Christie Makes Final Case to Delay Same-Sex Marriages

There are 10 comments on the EDGE story from Oct 8, 2013, titled NJ's Christie Makes Final Case to Delay Same-Sex Marriages. In it, EDGE reports that:

The Christie administration has made its final case for why a judge should put on hold a ruling that would legalize gay marriage effective Oct. 21. In a filing Monday, the state says allowing gay couples to marry starting in two weeks would make it difficult for the state's top court to reverse course should it agree with the Christie administration’s anti-gay marriage stand.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#1 Oct 8, 2013
I'm cautiously optimistic that the court will rule in our favor and Marriage Equality will be the law in the State Of New Jersey by October 21st.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#2 Oct 8, 2013
Interesting argument: Unable to find anyone who would be harmed by a same-sex marriage, Christie points at the court and posits that the court itself will be irreparably harmed by allowing a same-sex marriage. I guess those justices must be pretty weak if they cannot find their way to do whatever they find right.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#3 Oct 8, 2013
Well, we'll know in less than 2 weeks, and hopefully the court will decide in our favor.

And I hope Christie just stays in New Jersey and doesn't have the opportunity to seek higher office.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#4 Oct 8, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
Well, we'll know in less than 2 weeks, and hopefully the court will decide in our favor.
And I hope Christie just stays in New Jersey and doesn't have the opportunity to seek higher office.
At minimum, he will run for the US Senate.

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#5 Oct 8, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
Interesting argument: Unable to find anyone who would be harmed by a same-sex marriage, Christie points at the court and posits that the court itself will be irreparably harmed by allowing a same-sex marriage. I guess those justices must be pretty weak if they cannot find their way to do whatever they find right.
I'm not so confident in the NJ Supreme Court. They've had YEARS and several opportunities to hand down the right ruling on this, but they just don't seem to have the balls to do it.

It seems like they already know that their rulings will be largely ignored anyway, so they just stand at the sidelines and issue mildly worded suggestions instead of actual court rulings that actually accomplish something....:(:(:(

What am I missing here?? Why is the NJ Supreme Court so not interested in rulings?

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#6 Oct 8, 2013
eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not so confident in the NJ Supreme Court. They've had YEARS and several opportunities to hand down the right ruling on this, but they just don't seem to have the balls to do it.
It seems like they already know that their rulings will be largely ignored anyway, so they just stand at the sidelines and issue mildly worded suggestions instead of actual court rulings that actually accomplish something....:(:(:(
What am I missing here?? Why is the NJ Supreme Court so not interested in rulings?
Morning eJohn,
The Courts in NJ have ruled on this issue many times and the politicians have refused to comply......this is just lip-service from Christie, in my opinion because he wants to look like he is doing something for his donors and nothing more!!!

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#7 Oct 8, 2013
eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not so confident in the NJ Supreme Court. They've had YEARS and several opportunities to hand down the right ruling on this, but they just don't seem to have the balls to do it.
It seems like they already know that their rulings will be largely ignored anyway, so they just stand at the sidelines and issue mildly worded suggestions instead of actual court rulings that actually accomplish something....:(:(:(
What am I missing here?? Why is the NJ Supreme Court so not interested in rulings?
I would think that the strong language of the Windsor decision will provide the cover they're seeking. I think they've just been hoping the legislature will act. And I think they'll drag their feet at least through the end of the term.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#9 Oct 8, 2013
-Bill Of Rights- wrote:
Way to go Governor Christie!
Keep up the good fight!
LIAR......you're NOT Bill of Rights......idiot!!!

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#10 Oct 8, 2013
So we're back to bouncing around from court to court to court.

Will a stay be issued or denied?
Will that decision be upheld on appeal?
Will that appeal be upheld on appeal?
Will the ruling be upheld on appeal?
Will the appeal be upheld on appeal?

No wonder it takes 10-20 years to get a ruling from the SCOTUS on anything.

Have they released the Dred Scott ruling yet?

Our justice system needs some serious fixing.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#11 Oct 8, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
So we're back to bouncing around from court to court to court.
Will a stay be issued or denied?
Will that decision be upheld on appeal?
Will that appeal be upheld on appeal?
Will the ruling be upheld on appeal?
Will the appeal be upheld on appeal?
No wonder it takes 10-20 years to get a ruling from the SCOTUS on anything.
Have they released the Dred Scott ruling yet?
Our justice system needs some serious fixing.
Generally, SCOTUS issues a decision in about 6 months, not 10 - 20 years.(hyperbole ???)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 13 min Sudan 52,174
News Gay couple grilled by judge about their sex liv... 49 min Palin s Turkey Th... 105
News Education minister Nick Gibb seeks to end homop... 1 hr Palin s Turkey Th... 5
News Furore after holiday home owner rejects gay cou... 1 hr Darby 5
News Catholic church in Cambuslang praised for issui... 1 hr Palin s Turkey Th... 3
News Charlize Theron admits to taking 'a dip in the ... 1 hr Palin s Turkey Th... 9
News 12-year-old girl comes out to her Mormon congre... 2 hr Tre H 502
News Transgender candidate takes on culture warrior ... 2 hr Palin s Turkey Th... 4
More from around the web