Why I oppose gay marriage

There are 74 comments on the www.washingtonpost.com story from Sep 21, 2012, titled Why I oppose gay marriage. In it, www.washingtonpost.com reports that:

Full disclosure: I am gay. A few years ago, I was on the other side of the fence on this topic. But the more I read, thought, investigated and attempted to defend my position, the more I realized that I couldn’t. I feel very strongly that gay relationships should be supported by society. I have grown convinced, however, that the term “marriage” should not be altered or adjusted in any way.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.washingtonpost.com.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“Live and let live”

Since: Apr 08

New Orleans

#1 Sep 21, 2012
Chicken for ChickFil'A...
Andrew

Concord, CA

#2 Sep 21, 2012
Disgusting. How can someone be so self-loathing that they would voice support for something so archaic and discriminatory? He has a right to his views, but as I feel with most anti-gay homosexuals, he simply gets off by playing the Devil's Advocate.

“Live and let live”

New Orleans

#3 Sep 21, 2012
Pay wall after 3 page views... make sure to delete your cookie. Sheesh... when is the newspaper industry finally going to realize pay walls are an utterly failed experiment? You cannot sell content on the internet, but you can sell apps. They should focus their energy there.

“Live and let live”

New Orleans

#4 Sep 21, 2012
...If any evidence is needed, just look at the ads tied to certain keywords in my last statement...

“Live and let live”

New Orleans

#5 Sep 21, 2012
Andrew wrote:
Disgusting. How can someone be so self-loathing that they would voice support for something so archaic and discriminatory? He has a right to his views, but as I feel with most anti-gay homosexuals, he simply gets off by playing the Devil's Advocate.
it's called, "internalized homophobia".

Chagrin Falls, OH

#7 Sep 21, 2012
The author is a co-founder of a Tea Party groups so of course he will toe the party line on this topic. He's not much different than a Log Cabin Republican who pushes for separate-and-supposedly-equal, but not too hard because hey they're the bosses and he's just a peon who's lucky to get whatever scraps are thrown his way on LGBT issues.

The fact remains on same-sex marriage that heterosexuals haven't "owned" the label for their own exclusive use despite their claims otherwise. There have always been same-sex marriages throughout history -- sometimes legally recognized, sometimes not. And now we have legal same-sex marriages, complete with the label "marriage", in a number of places (Canada, for instance) and all the complaints that it would somehow upset heterosexual marriage as an institution have proven to be nothing but hot air.

Separate-but-equal is not equality. There is no need to invent new legal terms for different kinds of marriages. It wasn't necessary when interracial marriages were legalized, and it isn't necessary now with same-sex marriages either.

Chagrin Falls, OH

#8 Sep 21, 2012
Elle baise aux pede wrote:
Don't violate nature's law and man's law should therefore follows. There is no room for wild, extraneous,hostile, and indifference behavior that defeats the purpose of life which is to continue life even if it leads to suffering and unhappiness!
Heterosexual reproduction is the most potent weapon life has against hostility, uncertainty,and dangerous situations. If you defeat it "with some strange pursuit of happiness" you will instill a culture and attitude that will dealt blow to life, harmony,certainty, and humanity. This evil can not have a chance to express itself!
Same-sex pairing occurs in nature in a huge variety of species -- it's not unique to humans by any means. So claiming that same-sex human pairing is unnatural is a bald-faced lie.

Heterosexual marriage is not contingent on reproduction, or else heterosexual couples who do not have children (infertile couples, elderly couples) would be denied the right to marry. And there are same-sex couples (like me and my partner) who are raising kids yet we are denied legal marriage in many places. So bringing up reproduction as a criteria for marriage is another bald-faced lie.

If we're going to bring the topic of evil into the discussion let's be honest about the roots of evil: lying, hatred, bearing false witness against others, disrespecting others' basic human rights.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#10 Sep 21, 2012
<quoted text>
Same pair does not occur everywhere nor it occurs frequently in any one species! THat is bull! Otherwise, species will not have the disease fighting genes necessary for it to exists!...
That doesn't make a bit of sense.

Try again.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#11 Sep 21, 2012
The nice thing is, the writer doesn't have to marry.

But those that do, should have the same right that straight folks have.

It's not a difficult concept.

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

#14 Sep 21, 2012
Google "Bonobos", our closest animal relative, and find out how really stupid you are.

Idiot.
<quoted text>
Same pair does not occur everywhere nor it occurs frequently in any one species! THat is bull! Otherwise, species will not have the disease fighting genes necessary for it to exists! And given all the natural disaster, same pair do not give the species the best change to recuperate from a disasters! STOP THE CRAP! YOU ARE FKING WRONG! SHUT UP!!!

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

#15 Sep 21, 2012
Really hate to break it to you but homosexuality is as old as humans walking on two legs and no doubt even older than that. Get over your ignorance.

Geesh!
<quoted text>
Okay, native american, me alien will slow down to your clock rate: Mixing DNA from individual whose characteristics are specialized for a given condition or conditions, the chances for the next generation to survive a wider range of challenges are much better than getting inheritance from the same family (a brother and sister marriage) or from the same community. Similarly, the bad genes from heterocouple can also transfer so the risk for a bad offspring is likely but not probable.
Two fking homo can not yield offspring and the attitude, expectation and behavior the homo can still on somebody else offspring can put a stop to humanity plans for continued survival. Already, high living of standards is already slowing down birth rates in Japan, US, and in some countries in Europe. Now add fking homo ideas to the mix, and those countries will be forced to allow immigration or face extinction!

“Equality marches on! ”

Location hidden

#18 Sep 21, 2012
I read the article and when the words, "Tea Party" appeared, I realized I was reading a skit for SNL!
Uve

Desert Hot Springs, CA

#19 Sep 21, 2012
<quoted text>
WRONG! Approximately 220 thousand years ago humanity came down to only 200,000 people in Africa (the "bottleneck" event) and if any of them was gay, humanity would not have reach the critical mass or numbers to conquer the world! Go read it and stop extrapolating the decandent behavior of the greeks and romans!
Oh aren't you a piece of bigoted sh+t! It's been scientifically observed that over a 1000 species engage in homosexual activity, but only ONE engages in homophobia.

Chagrin Falls, OH

#21 Sep 21, 2012
<quoted text>
References? Or shut the hell up! BOLOGNE! May be 1000 pipes are inside your descending colon polishing your interior hemorrhoids! LIES!
Wow. You are a real piece of work.

Go to a public library and ask to borrow "Biological Exuberance: Animal Homosexuality and Natural Diversity" by Bruce Bagemihl. It documents in voluminous detail the extensive scientific evidence for same-sex sexual activity in a multitude of species apart from humans.

The next time you presume to speak about science you should do at least a tiny bit of homework on the topic. We're ready for your profuse apologies now.

Chagrin Falls, OH

#24 Sep 21, 2012
<quoted text>
Then why is your septic hole not designed for homo fornication? Your septic hole is design only for expulsing waste not to receive a pipe! For that you need amyl nitrate to relax the involuntary action of your spetic muscle to allow in what your nerves are telling your brain don't let in!!!!
Design wise we are not design for homo coupling! Period! We are not design to enable that behavior! We are designed to mate heterosexually! END OF THE DEBATE!
What arrogance to assume knowledge of the absolute purpose of everything! I didn't know we were all in the presence of an omniscient deity here on Topix.

Even science isn't so arrogant as to presume to know the absolute purpose of everything. There are purposes and mechanisms in nature, from the most basic to the most complex, that science is humble enough to acknowledge we are just gaining a glimpse of understanding.

It's obvious you are unaware of how reproductive and excretory organs have evolved. Go to a public library or science museum and look up the anatomy of more primitive lifeforms such as fish and reptiles, and compare with birds and mammals, to see how things evolved. Learn about human anatomy and how nerve endings and pleasure receptors are distributed about the body. Check out findings about human sexual behaviour and response and prepare to have your mind blown. There's a huge amount of perfectly natural, normal, human sexual behaviour that has little or nothing to do with the "missionary position."

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#26 Sep 21, 2012
He is just a manifestation of the same problems that the Log Cabiners have: Stockholm Syndrome.

Since: Jan 10

Lewis Center, OH

#27 Sep 21, 2012
You’re not gay and your post is utter tripe. The real question is why you felt compelled to perpetrate such a complete charade? How irresponsibile.

Location hidden

#28 Sep 21, 2012
Marram wrote:
You’re not gay and your post is utter tripe. The real question is why you felt compelled to perpetrate such a complete charade? How irresponsibile.
You suspect that the author of the op-ed is "false flag"?

Location hidden

#30 Sep 21, 2012
<quoted text>
fkhole like you need to understand that a metabolic system can not be turn into or use for sexual acts. Period! And you will not legalize such evil behavior abusive of body functions!
Too late. Already is legal.
ravett

Brooklyn, NY

#31 Sep 21, 2012
What I don't understand is the assumed relationship between marriage and reproduction. Surely it is the case that:
1) There's plenty of reproduction w/out marriage.
2) There are many marriages w/out reproduction - deliberately.
For a nice treatment of what a society with a great many homosexuals - male and female - might do to ensure reproduction, go read Duane's (sci-fi) book: Door into Fire. Yes, it's idealized sci-fi, but still intriguing.
So why not conceive of marriage in terms of a dedicated relationship...? In fact, if you really want to be religious about it, consider St. Paul's attitude toward the marriage/children issue, and indeed the continuing stance of the Catholic Church, which regards nuns, at least, as "married", fairly literally as I understand it, to their god. Given all the above I'm hard pressed to understand Christian bias against homosexual marriage.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News SoCal Rep Wants to Outlaw Gay-to-Straight "Conv... 27 min EdmondWA 100
Stop heterosexual hatred today... 34 min SupportAlanandfra... 3
News Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? (Sep '14) 1 hr Brian_G 5,571
News 60 Percent: Record Number Of Americans Support ... 1 hr Brian_G 98
News Pediatrician Won't Treat Baby With Lesbian Moms 1 hr Brian_G 1,375
News Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 1 hr Robin 32,991
News The right therapy for LGBT youth 1 hr zyondra 292
News Judge: Gay couples across Alabama have right to... 3 hr Novus Ordo Seclorum 40
News Josh Duggar apology not enough? Fallout from mo... 3 hr Nose basher 38
More from around the web