ACLU Declares War on Texas Honky Tonks

ACLU Declares War on Texas Honky Tonks

There are 13 comments on the Dallas Blog story from Dec 25, 2013, titled ACLU Declares War on Texas Honky Tonks. In it, Dallas Blog reports that:

A Honky Tonk in Victoria, Tx. has a policy that forbids two men from doing the Boot-scootin Boogie together on their dance floor.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dallas Blog.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#1 Dec 26, 2013
I hope the ACLU sues the cowboy hats off them!

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#2 Dec 26, 2013
equalityboy81 wrote:
Victoria apparently doesn't have any sort of public accommodations ordinance of its own and state law isn't any help. As bad of an idea as this was by the club, it may have been legal.
barefoot2626

United States

#3 Dec 26, 2013
dam fudgepackers need to stay at their own clubs and not mingle with the decent folks.

“I'm hawt and I know it. ”

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#4 Dec 26, 2013
equalityboy81 wrote:
We don't need any more brokeback cowpokes.

Location hidden

#5 Dec 26, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Victoria apparently doesn't have any sort of public accommodations ordinance of its own and state law isn't any help. As bad of an idea as this was by the club, it may have been legal.
If the discrimination is legal then why did the ACLU get involved? There must be something the ACLU feels has been violated or a way they can win to even take such a case. I hear they don't tend to take cases they don't feel they can win. Is there gender discrimination involved here possibly since this "policy" doesn't apply to women or it was never shown to them in writing if such a policy exists? Or that they can't dance together to country but can to other genres? I feel that there is more than sexual orientation discrimination involved here that the ACLU can use as a weapon in this particular case. What next? Them saying black men can't dance with white women to country?

this one

#6 Dec 27, 2013
equalityboy81 wrote:
If the discrimination is legal then why did the ACLU get involved? There must be something the ACLU feels has been violated or a way they can win to even take such a case. I hear they don't tend to take cases they don't feel they can win. Is there gender discrimination involved here possibly since this "policy" doesn't apply to women or it was never shown to them in writing if such a policy exists? Or that they can't dance together to country but can to other genres? I feel that there is more than sexual orientation discrimination involved here that the ACLU can use as a weapon in this particular case. What next? Them saying black men can't dance with white women to country?
The threat of a lawsuit may be enough to get the owners to change their "policy", or at least promise not to do anything like that again. They also could bring the city and state in as defendants on the grounds that their lack of protections on the basis of sexual orientation is a denial of equal protection.

Location hidden

#7 Dec 27, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>The threat of a lawsuit may be enough to get the owners to change their "policy", or at least promise not to do anything like that again. They also could bring the city and state in as defendants on the grounds that their lack of protections on the basis of sexual orientation is a denial of equal protection.
Rick, could it also be construed as gender discrimination considering that two women are not prohibited from dancing but two men are? While most places don't protect sexual orientation I know gender is protected everywhere. For example to say that lesbians are able to marry each other in a state but not gay male couples would have more to do with gender than sexual orientation and would probably be found to be gender discriminatory by a judge.

Location hidden

#8 Dec 27, 2013
People should be able to dance where they want and to what genre of music they want. Isn't that a violation of human rights.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#9 Dec 28, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>The threat of a lawsuit may be enough to get the owners to change their "policy", or at least promise not to do anything like that again. They also could bring the city and state in as defendants on the grounds that their lack of protections on the basis of sexual orientation is a denial of equal protection.
Giving each of these gay 'dancers' two body guards isn't equal protection either.
Can the bar be sued if they get the crap kicked out of them, or worse?
Do people become aggressive when they drink too much?
If the answer to either of these questions is yes, the bar did the right thing. Let them dance at a gay bar or at home. Ain't choice wonderful.

“TO HATE SOMEONE SIMPLY FOR WHO”

THEY ARE IS WRONG!!!

#10 Dec 28, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Giving each of these gay 'dancers' two body guards isn't equal protection either.
If the answer to either of these questions is yes, the bar did the right thing. Let them dance at a gay bar or at home. Ain't choice wonderful.
Sorry, but my question is does the policy cover straight men who line dance as well? See, what these "GAY" men were doing was nothing more than what women have done for YEARS......dance together.....no one is offended when women do it, but when men do it....OMFG it has every straight guy flipping the fruck out.........get over yourself and your bigotry......they were dancing at a bar and nothing ELSE!!!

Frankly, I've known of straight couples going into Gay and Lesbian bars, insulting folks or making anti-gay derogatory comments and then be surprised when they are tossed out........no one stops straights from coming to Gay and Lesbian bars if they are out enjoying themselves and these 2 men should have been able to do the same thing......they weren't harming anyone and therefore any violence against them or what was done......should be challenged.....just like what happened with Lawrence vs Texas!!!
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#11 Dec 28, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but my question is does the policy cover straight men who line dance as well? See, what these "GAY" men were doing was nothing more than what women have done for YEARS......dance together.....no one is offended when women do it
Women dance together when men won't ask them to dance.
Women are more emotional, more sensitive. Lot's of men don't like to dance. They also don't keep diaries or have slumber parties. Girls are different, that's a good thing.

“TO HATE SOMEONE SIMPLY FOR WHO”

THEY ARE IS WRONG!!!

#12 Dec 28, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Women dance together when men won't ask them to dance.
Women are more emotional, more sensitive. Lot's of men don't like to dance. They also don't keep diaries or have slumber parties. Girls are different, that's a good thing.
Girls are different, but in the eyes of the law.......this appears to be GENDER discrimination and violates the law.........and besides what does girls being different have ANYTHING to do with how these 2 guys where treated? My guess is NOTHING!!!

You may not like what they did, but they are FREE American Citizens and can go where they want!!!

this one

#13 Dec 28, 2013
Wondering wrote:
If any of your patrons need bodyguards in order to protect them from your other patrons, there's a good probability you shouldn't be in business.
Wondering wrote:
They can be sued by ANYBODY who gets the crap kicked out of them on their property, regardless of the motivation for the kicking, they also can probably be sued by those responsible for the kicking and any innocent bystanders caught in the ruckus. It's a completely equal opportunity liability.
Wondering wrote:
Bars that serve too much resulting in aggressive acts, only increasing their liability. Bars that intoxicate customers can be held liable for acts like their driving under the influence.
Wondering wrote:
If the answer to either of these questions is yes, the bar did the right thing.
The problem is, the couple they have offended with their actions don't happen to agree with you on that. Everyone legally eligible to be in a bar should have the right to be in there, shouldn't they? Two men dancing together, not anti-social behavior, not even in Texas. threatening their safety or kicking them out in a feeble defense of their safety, seriously anti-social.
Wondering wrote:
Let them dance at a gay bar or at home.
Let them dance anywhere there is dancing, those with a problem with it can stay home.
Wondering wrote:
Ain't choice wonderful.
Uh-huh.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? (Sep '14) 7 min Frankie Rizzo 8,048
News Sam Smith gets 'upset' over gay rights 16 min david traversa 6
News Huge Media Cover-Up of Criminal Charges Against... 19 min Fa-Foxy 62
News End of Boy Scouts' ban on gays prompts elation ... 33 min Thomas 57
News Ex-Navy SEAL alleges anti-gay bullying by CIA w... 38 min Xstain Mullah Decree 5
News Elkhart mayor asks city council to withdraw LGB... 53 min Xstain Mullah Decree 15
News Gay wedding cake at center of Colorado Appeals ... 54 min WasteWater 725
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 56 min WasteWater 24,011
News Same-sex marriage fight turns to clerk who refu... 2 hr elh 1,637
News Supreme Court extends gay marriage nationwide 6 hr NorCal Native 1,153
More from around the web