Gay couple asked to reverse shirt at ...

Gay couple asked to reverse shirt at Dollywood

There are 488 comments on the KEPR CBS 19 story from Jul 26, 2011, titled Gay couple asked to reverse shirt at Dollywood. In it, KEPR CBS 19 reports that:

A lesbian couple is asking for changes at Dollywood after an employee asked one of the women to turn her T-shirt reading "marriage is so gay" inside-out to avoid offending others on a recent visit to the Tennessee theme park complex.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KEPR CBS 19.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#407 Aug 26, 2011
Just Me wrote:
<quoted text>
I did not meant to imply these were the same situations but just sharing a 'bad' situation that one would not expect in a family oriented park. Usually, the workers are great around the kids but this 'clown' went overboard.
I forgot to add that I had first left a voice-mail and had stated the owner did not have to call me back - just wanted him to be aware of his employe'es conduct. As a good businessman, he did unlike the park did this couple (for those who are not aware, the couple requested a meeting with the park and was initially denied and that is when they went to the media). As with my complaint, I was treated by great customer service which did not happen with this couple.
I maybe wrong but I think the issue with this couple is not so much asking them to follow the rules of turning around a shirt that others may find offensive but the way the employee handled it. I've been to concerts or other places where the staff can get an attitude. And it is upsetting - esp when you see others doing the same thing (such as using the camera) and the staff is telling you not to do.
Sorry, my story is off-topic but just was stunned that anyone would belittle kids by calling the names in the guise of just having fun.
Unfortunately, abusing others remains a part of the culture, especially among men, and we see such abuse at most sporting events, on TV and radio talk shows, and on some forums such as this one as well.

But part of the problem here is that they were not in violation of any written rule, just the bias of the worker. Dolly made it clear she would not have made the same decision, but the problem may still exist that the staff does not have clear guidelines and training on what is allowed and what is not.

As to TSA and other security staff, studies have shown that people with low pay but with power over others, tend to exercise that power more often that those who are paid well but have the same power.
Just Me

Cookeville, TN

#408 Aug 26, 2011
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately, abusing others remains a part of the culture, especially among men, and we see such abuse at most sporting events, on TV and radio talk shows, and on some forums such as this one as well.
But part of the problem here is that they were not in violation of any written rule, just the bias of the worker. Dolly made it clear she would not have made the same decision, but the problem may still exist that the staff does not have clear guidelines and training on what is allowed and what is not.
As to TSA and other security staff, studies have shown that people with low pay but with power over others, tend to exercise that power more often that those who are paid well but have the same power.
SO so right. Esp hockey games - LOL!!! I was under the assumption the employee was following a certain criteria or written list of words/phrases from the park rather than his own judgment. The articles I read, the statements from the park was vague. I did not watch Dolly's interview and you are right - the staff needs to have a clear understanding of what is acceptable or not. If they ask a person to remove or cover up offensive clothing or tattoos, they need to have their actions backed by the park in an employee handbook, etc..

I did read an article that Dollywood has had financial issues r/t recession and several million dollar lawsuits from issues r/t rides (it did not reflect on this situation) and also Dolly has angered some fans by lip- synching her concerts. I do not know if she does or not but several other singers have been criticized for lip-synching.
Just Me

Cookeville, TN

#409 Aug 26, 2011
Fanny Penisdick wrote:
<quoted text>But my pastor told me the gays are an abomination and we need to stop their lifestyle choice of sin and deviancy. This is America and we love guns so it just seemed to make sense.
Sorry - your pastor is leading you down the wrong path, But if you want to stop abominations, go after child abusers, rapists, adulterers, terrorists, etc..
Besides, I do luv the Logo channel and the world would be boring without the gay culture and Lady Gaga LOL!!

Seriously, if a person chooses to lead a lifestyle you do not approve of, as long as that person is not harming you, you have no right to play God. You can still play with your guns as long as you do not harm anyone.
Kim Qualls (lesbian)

Jackson, TN

#410 Aug 26, 2011
Just Me wrote:
[QUOTE who="Kim Qualls (lesbian) "]<quoted text>
I can guarantee the only intent they had was to show they want equal rights. As a lesbian I've lost rights to seeing my nieces bc I'm gay but never even brought my fiancé around them. Bc we express being gay like y'all do bein straight we are "forcing" it on others. Not hardly"

I am so sorry that this has happened to you - it is not right. I know you have been through so much but please know that not all straight people flaunt their sexuality. As I've said in earlier posts, I've seen more straight people 'make out' in public than 'gay' people.

I myself did not like the t-shirt because the 'is so gay' is usually a bullying message and a child may not understand why they are asked not to say this phrase and yet it is on a t-shirt.

My niece and nephews are the world to me and I would be lost without them and I could not imagine my family not letting me see them because of my sexual orientation. No matter if they are straight or homosexual, I will love them the same and hope they have the same rights as we all do.

Many say homosexuals chose to be gay - but many of the posts it should be clear no one would chose to be denied the same rights as straight. One of my FB friends was kicked out by his parents because he was gay and one of my gay friends' daughters do not speak to him because he is gay (after years of trying to live a lie).

I will keep you in my prayers and I hope your family relents and let's you be around your nieces.

Hopefully, positive changes will come out of this situation. For myself, I have become more aware of gay rights' struggle and the rights I've taken for granted is denied to many. Each struggle is a step toward equality.
Thank you. This is the first positive thing that a heterosexual has said. I really appreciate your comment and concern.
Vanessa

Cookeville, TN

#411 Aug 26, 2011
Thank you. This is the first positive thing that a heterosexual has said. I really appreciate your comment and concern.[/QUOTE]

you are welcome and again I hope the best for you.
Vanessa

Cookeville, TN

#412 Aug 26, 2011
Thank you. This is the first positive thing that a heterosexual has said. I really appreciate your comment and concern.[/QUOTE]

Sorry - I usually use "just me" but on earlier post used my real first name so sorry for the confusion. I guess my real identity is out LOL!!!

Since: Jul 10

New Castle, DE

#413 Aug 26, 2011
Balderdash wrote:
<quoted text>I'm sure that is what you would like to believe, but I doubt it. So if a black guy is anti-gay, does that make him a racist?
Did you read the link? It wasn't an editorial. It was a study. One of many.
Just Me

Cookeville, TN

#414 Aug 26, 2011
K-O Ken wrote:
<quoted text>
read the article and interesting. thanks for posting.

Since: Jul 10

New Castle, DE

#415 Aug 26, 2011
Just Me wrote:
<quoted text>
read the article and interesting. thanks for posting.
No problem.

Since: Nov 08

Columbia, SC

#416 Aug 27, 2011
Interested11342 wrote:
No shirt, no shoes, no service....no difference
I don't understand what you mean. If you're trying to say that there is no difference between not wearing a shirt and wearing a shirt, I think you are wrong. There is a difference.
Besides, no shirt, no shoes, no service at an outdoor waterpark?

Columbia, SC

#417 Aug 27, 2011
Fanny Penisdick wrote:
<quoted text>But my pastor told me the gays are an abomination and we need to stop their lifestyle choice of sin and deviancy. This is America and we love guns so it just seemed to make sense.
Just because they say it, doesn't mean you have to believe it. Sounds like your pastor is turning Christian love into an oxymoron.

Columbia, SC

#418 Aug 27, 2011
Rev Penderdick wrote:
<quoted text>
Especially for the gays.
What does that even mean? Homosexuals always have to have on their shirts and shoes?

“Philippians 4:13”

Lexington

#419 Aug 27, 2011
krnfrk wrote:
<quoted text>I don't understand what you mean. If you're trying to say that there is no difference between not wearing a shirt and wearing a shirt, I think you are wrong. There is a difference.
Besides, no shirt, no shoes, no service at an outdoor waterpark?
I'm simply saying that they have the right to refuse service, however, that was a bad example. Restaurants do it for health codes I'd say, not proper dress. My bad.
Balderdash

Lenoir City, TN

#420 Aug 27, 2011
Laura Chaney wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a threat of violence, not civil rights.
Would you support a person wearing a t-shirt that says Bring Back Slavery?
Threat? If the shirt had a pic of Navy Seals aiming at Bin Laden, would that be a threat?
Balderdash

Lenoir City, TN

#421 Aug 27, 2011
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
As Laura points out, that is a terrorist threat. It is not simply possibly offensive to a segment of the population.
How so? After all, you point out it is only a shirt.
Balderdash

Lenoir City, TN

#422 Aug 27, 2011
K-O Ken wrote:
<quoted text>
So what? Answer the question. If a black or Hispanic person is anti-gay, are they racists? I didn't see that in the study.
Kim Qualls (lesbian)

Jackson, TN

#423 Aug 27, 2011
Vanessa wrote:
Thank you. This is the first positive thing that a heterosexual has said. I really appreciate your comment and concern."

Sorry - I usually use "just me" but on earlier post used my real first name so sorry for the confusion. I guess my real identity is out LOL!!!
Haha it's all good. It's people like you that make me think the world isn't so bad after all and not everyone that is straight is a homophobe
Aida Lott

Rockaway, NJ

#424 Aug 27, 2011
Balderdash wrote:
<quoted text>So what? Answer the question. If a black or Hispanic person is anti-gay, are they racists? I didn't see that in the study.
The study wasn't about THAT. Geez..........

AOL

#425 Aug 27, 2011
Balderdash wrote:
<quoted text>So what? Answer the question. If a black or Hispanic person is anti-gay, are they racists? I didn't see that in the study.
Racism is one specific version of prejudice. I personally would not use "racist" for prejudice against gay people. I would use "prejudice" or when hate is clearly demonstrated; "bigotry". Also the term "homophobia serves that purpose, though many misunderstand what it means, and that is why I usually stick with "prejudice".

"Homophobia is a range of negative attitudes and feelings towards lesbian, gay, bisexual, and in some cases transgender and intersex people. Definitions refer variably to antipathy, contempt, prejudice, aversion, and irrational fear.[1][2][3] Homophobia is observable in critical and hostile behavior such as discrimination[1][2] and violence on the basis of a perceived non-heterosexual orientation. In a 1998 address, author, activist, and civil rights leader Coretta Scott King stated that "Homophobia is like racism and anti-Semitism and other forms of bigotry in that it seeks to dehumanize a large group of people, to deny their humanity, their dignity and personhood."[4]" (Wiki)

AOL

#426 Aug 27, 2011
Balderdash wrote:
<quoted text>How so? After all, you point out it is only a shirt.
Legal definitions vary from state to state, but generally, any communication of intent to kill others, written, spoken, or otherwise communicated, qualifies as a terrorist threat.

The message on the shirt in question was a positive one, not a threat to kill anyone.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Washington court rules against florist in gay w... 2 min Retribution 46
News Tupelo mother, son featured on LGBT video 14 min Read nor right 18
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 30 min carter county res... 24,714
News Doritos makes rainbow chips in support of gay r... (Sep '15) 31 min Inquisitor 1,022
Maybe god is gay! (Dec '09) 1 hr June VanDerMark 13,022
News Tanzania to publish 'list of gay people' 1 hr Gotcha 2
News Suffolk bishop says rejection of controversial ... 1 hr Rainbow Kid 1
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 9 hr River Tam 44,894
More from around the web