Health Officials Allegedly Reject Org...

Health Officials Allegedly Reject Organ Donor Because He is Gay

There are 14 comments on the EDGE story from Mar 31, 2014, titled Health Officials Allegedly Reject Organ Donor Because He is Gay. In it, EDGE reports that:

The family of a deceased Pittsburgh man says his organs were to be donated but rejected because of his sexuality and not because of health reasons, Think Progress reports.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

Roscoe

New York, NY

#2 Mar 31, 2014
Good call.
david traversa

Argentina

#3 Apr 1, 2014
No doubt they thought bearing a gay's organ ( whichever ) would turn the recipient gay .. another instance of the shocking ignorance of the masses, bigots in particular ..

“Where's my fairy wand!”

Since: Apr 08

Reading PA

#4 Apr 1, 2014
It's these kind of actions by the medical community that propagate the perception that all gay men have HIV/AIDS which is patently false. It's no wonder we still have over zealous bigots who want to treat us like second or third class citizens.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#5 Apr 1, 2014
Big deal. So we just stop donating our bodies. Some straight people will die as a result. I don't revel in it, but it doesn't bother me one wit. I took that attitude towards blood donation, and I'll do it with this. Their loss, not mine. In fact, I will add to my medical directive and will that no donation of anything is to be allowed, no matter what.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#6 Apr 1, 2014
RalphB wrote:
Big deal. So we just stop donating our bodies. Some straight people will die as a result. I don't revel in it, but it doesn't bother me one wit. I took that attitude towards blood donation, and I'll do it with this. Their loss, not mine. In fact, I will add to my medical directive and will that no donation of anything is to be allowed, no matter what.
One exception to that. Family members and/or gay people would be allowed.

Since: Apr 14

Bhopal, India

#7 Apr 1, 2014
Hello,
I would like to tell you that tobacco consumption may have a disease like cancer, and diabetes are also at risk.

For more information you can go to [url=http://www.eyevisioncares .tk] myopiya [/url]

Thank you
Myron

Phoenix, AZ

#8 Apr 1, 2014
david traversa wrote:
No doubt they thought bearing a gay's organ ( whichever ) would turn the recipient gay .. another instance of the shocking ignorance of the masses, bigots in particular ..
It's not that you dumbass. It's that they don't want to put an innocent recipient in danger of getting AIDS or some other disease from the homosexual organ.

“Equality marches on! ”

Location hidden

#9 Apr 1, 2014
Myron wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not that you dumbass. It's that they don't want to put an innocent recipient in danger of getting AIDS or some other disease from the homosexual organ.
All organs are tested before transplants.
Fundies R Mentally Nil

Philadelphia, PA

#10 Apr 1, 2014
Myron wrote:
<quoted text>
But if that were true you would've stopped cooking and eating your down low sex partners by now.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#12 Apr 1, 2014
NE Jade wrote:
<quoted text>All organs are tested before transplants.
Yes, they test for antibodies. Antibodies may not be detected for up to 3 months after contracting HIV, and sometimes longer, but HIV is still transferable. Same with blood.
It's not worth the risk.

“Equality marches on! ”

Location hidden

#13 Apr 1, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, they test for antibodies. Antibodies may not be detected for up to 3 months after contracting HIV, and sometimes longer, but HIV is still transferable. Same with blood.
It's not worth the risk.
And all straight organs are safe from HIV? Funny how that works.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#14 Apr 1, 2014
NE Jade wrote:
<quoted text>And all straight organs are safe from HIV? Funny how that works.
No, but the risk is much lower. It's no secret that HIV is rampant among the gay population here in this country. I don't know the details of this incident but I'm guessing this donor was asked if he had sex with another man in the past 3 months. A straight person would most likely be asked the same question. It's just a screening process.
Fundies R Mentally Nil

Philadelphia, PA

#15 Apr 1, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
No, but the risk is much lower. It's no secret that HIV is rampant among the gay population here in this country. I don't know the details of this incident but I'm guessing this donor was asked if he had sex with another man in the past 3 months. A straight person would most likely be asked the same question. It's just a screening process.
You're ignorant and lying / making nonsense up again. Your three month fantasy has not a thing to do with the anti rational blood donation guidelines, for example, which are obviously political and bigoted, not medically based.(Except in the sense of throwing an over broad net in an effort to catch a few possible cases which testing almost always would reveal, anyway.)

“Where's my fairy wand!”

Reading PA

#16 Apr 1, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
First HIV is not rampant amongst any group although you are correct that (in the latest available data) MSM transmission rates do top the list in all 3 ethnic categories. However the next group is heterosexual African American women followed by heterosexual African American men.

But if the desire is to have LOW risk then truly since everybody is at risk, no organs should be accepted from anyone whose had sex with anyone for at least 6 months.

The numbers for "Straight" people are NOT statistically insignificant - so in reality - the same standard should apply no matter from whom the organ is coming.

And how would this sexuality policy apply to lesbians who have amongst the lowest HIV rates?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 4 min Frankie Rizzo 49,178
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... 15 min hardscrabble 343
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 52 min Frankie Rizzo 25,591
Jade's Stink Ass Gay Cafe 1 hr Hugely Hung Hetero 6
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 1 hr hardscrabble 5,939
News A look at the judges who will rule on Trump's t... 2 hr Troll Hopper 156
News Middle School Gay-Straight Alliance Allowed To ... 2 hr Rev Don Wildmoan 13
News More 3 hr Little Cheerleader 15
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 4 hr Homey 69,526
More from around the web