SD Bill Lets Clergy Refuse To Perform Gay Marriage

Jan 30, 2014 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: KDLT-TV Sioux Falls

South Dakota lawmakers are considering a measure that would allow clergy and religious organizations to refuse to take part in gay marriage services.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of199
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

DNF

“A seat at the family table”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2014

Judged:

WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Lucky for her, she was a bus driver.....
Not funny.

I'm surprised you and others think it's OK to joke about spousal abuse.

DNF

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2014

Judged:

snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like solid Irish Catholicism to me.
Actually they are Polish/Sicilian.

What is even crazier is that he was able to divorce HER with the blessings of the Church after he started cheating on her with a younger woman.

DNF

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2014

Judged:

I hope everyone looks for this article when it comes to Topix.

Gay-marriage debate takes new twist in Oregon: religious exemption
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/02/us-...

Strange that these people feel bakers and florists need special protections(all in the name of religious freedom) but it's perfectly fine to arrest, fine and jail a Presbyterian minister in Indiana if they perform a SSM.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2014

DNF wrote:
<quoted text>I just saw an article today that Oregon is going to vote on allowing "christian businesses" the right to refuse service to gays and lesbians.
It's ironic that the same people who are screaming about their religious freedom don't seem to be bothered by laws like Indiana that make it a crime to perform a religious SSM.
And that law has been around for over 10 years now. It was passed in 1997.
I hope the organizations that are fighting for GLBT equality use that in TV ads before the election.
They should also point out what Romans says about obeying civil laws, since the anti-gays often cite Romans.
That doesn't surprise me in the least. Oregon has a lot of rednecks who don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

DNF

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2014

I hope that in the weeks before the election we see ads that point these things out.

The hypocrisy and deceit of the religious fundamentalists and the GOP in 7 easy lessons:

Gay-marriage debate takes new twist in Oregon: religious exemption.
This will protect bakers and florists from lawsuits about discrimination against gays and lesbians

Indiana GOP passes law making it a crime for clergy to perform gay weddings.
Since 1997, any member of clergy who even BLESSES a SSM can be fined $1000.oo and jailed for 3 months.

http://americablog.com/2013/07/indiana-makes-...

If the religious fundamentalists want to claim they follow the Bible, word for word, then why do they ignore these?

Leviticus 19:18
18 “‘Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against anyone among your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD.

Colossians 1:16
For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him.

Galatians 3:28
There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Romans 13:1-5
English Standard Version (ESV)
13 Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. 2 Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. 3 For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, 4 for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God's wrath but also for the sake of conscience.

Another bogus Obamacare story: The GOP's 'Bette'

Bette was an otherwise unidentified Washington state resident featured in the official GOP response to the Obama speech delivered by Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-Wash.). According to Rodgers, Bette had written her a letter stating that she had "hoped the president’s healthcare law would save her money – but found out instead that her premiums were going up nearly $700 a month." The lesson, according to Rodgers: "This law is not working."…

Grenier told the newspaper that she wrote Rodgers after her insurance company informed her that her $552-a-month catastrophic health plan would not be offered in 2014. It offered her an alternative plan complying with the ACA at $1,052 a month.

Grenier said she had flatly refused to even investigate her options on the exchange. "I wouldn’t go on that Obama website at all,” she said.“We liked our old plan. It worked for us, but they can’t offer it anymore.”

Instead, she and her husband "have decided to go without coverage," the newspaper reported. Does this make sense? Grenier deliberately decided to forgo the options available to her and her family from the Affordable Care Act, despite the knowledge that they might be more suitable for her than her old insurance or the plan being hawked by her insurer -- she says a friend of hers found a plan for a mere $129 a month.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2014

Judged:

DNF wrote:
I hope that in the weeks before the election we see ads that point these things out.
The hypocrisy and deceit of the religious fundamentalists and the GOP in 7 easy lessons:
Gay-marriage debate takes new twist in Oregon: religious exemption.
This will protect bakers and florists from lawsuits about discrimination against gays and lesbians
Indiana GOP passes law making it a crime for clergy to perform gay weddings.
Since 1997, any member of clergy who even BLESSES a SSM can be fined $1000.oo and jailed for 3 months.
http://americablog.com/2013/07/indiana-makes-...
If the religious fundamentalists want to claim they follow the Bible, word for word, then why do they ignore these?
Leviticus 19:18
18 “‘Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against anyone among your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD.
Colossians 1:16
For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him.
Galatians 3:28
There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
Romans 13:1-5
English Standard Version (ESV)
13 Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. 2 Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. 3 For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, 4 for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God's wrath but also for the sake of conscience.
Another bogus Obamacare story: The GOP's 'Bette'
Bette was an otherwise unidentified Washington state resident featured in the official GOP response to the Obama speech delivered by Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-Wash.). According to Rodgers, Bette had written her a letter stating that she had "hoped the president’s healthcare law would save her money – but found out instead that her premiums were going up nearly $700 a month." The lesson, according to Rodgers: "This law is not working."…
Grenier told the newspaper that she wrote Rodgers after her insurance company informed her that her $552-a-month catastrophic health plan would not be offered in 2014. It offered her an alternative plan complying with the ACA at $1,052 a month.
Grenier said she had flatly refused to even investigate her options on the exchange. "I wouldn’t go on that Obama website at all,” she said.“We liked our old plan. It worked for us, but they can’t offer it anymore.”
Instead, she and her husband "have decided to go without coverage," the newspaper reported. Does this make sense? Grenier deliberately decided to forgo the options available to her and her family from the Affordable Care Act, despite the knowledge that they might be more suitable for her than her old insurance or the plan being hawked by her insurer -- she says a friend of hers found a plan for a mere $129 a month.
http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi...
In the long run, these foolish, discriminatory laws, will be deemed unconstitutional and tossed by the courts.

DNF

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2014

WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
In the long run, these foolish, discriminatory laws, will be deemed unconstitutional and tossed by the courts.
I agree. The thing is I've accepted what that has caused me, but it doesn't excuse the past, present and future pain it causes others.

A wise man once said "Justice delayed is Justice denied."

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2014

DNF wrote:
<quoted text>I agree. The thing is I've accepted what that has caused me, but it doesn't excuse the past, present and future pain it causes others.
A wise man once said "Justice delayed is Justice denied."
True enough but the trajectory is toward justice and equality, which means that hope exists.

“... from a ...”

Since: Mar 09

GREAT HEIGHT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2014

Judged:

DNF wrote:
<quoted text>I just saw an article today that Oregon is going to vote on allowing "christian businesses" the right to refuse service to gays and lesbians.
It's ironic that the same people who are screaming about their religious freedom don't seem to be bothered by laws like Indiana that make it a crime to perform a religious SSM.
And that law has been around for over 10 years now. It was passed in 1997.
I hope the organizations that are fighting for GLBT equality use that in TV ads before the election.
They should also point out what Romans says about obeying civil laws, since the anti-gays often cite Romans.
We need to organize some clergy to violate that law and get it into the Court pipeline.

Problem: I don't know ANYBODY in or from Indiana.

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
We need to organize some clergy to violate that law and get it into the Court pipeline.
Sure you do, you just don't know you know someone.

DNF

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Judged:

snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. I do know people there but they don't want to help change this.

I think part of the problem is that Indiana is percieved as one of those States where we have little change of progress.

I was just reading this article and it occurred to me that what we need are clergy, especially straight clergy to challenge this.

Oh here's the article I found. I think it's very good and the book appears to be something that would be a good read.

’God vs. Gay?’:: Jay Michaelson on The Questions People of Faith Should Be Asking
http://www.edgechicago.com/entertainment/book...

(and please don't ask me to explain why EDGE put this under 'entertainment' rather than 'religion' or 'politics'. Their reasoning eludes me.)

“... from a ...”

Since: Mar 09

GREAT HEIGHT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Judged:

TomInElPaso wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure you do, you just don't know you know someone.
I don't have any Indiana-dar.

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Judged:

snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have any Indiana-dar.
Hoosier Daddy?
Denver Dan

Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Judged:

DNF wrote:
Another waste of taxpayers money.
Clergy are already protected from being forced to deny their faith.
A City Council member in Shreveport, La., has abandoned his effort to repeal an LGBT-inclusive antidiscrimination ordinance, following outcry from the public, including a transgender woman who dared him to stone her to death.
"Leviticus 20:13 states,'If a man also lie with mankind as he lieth with a woman, they shall surely put him to death,'" Raintree began. "I brought the first stone, Mr. Webb, in case that your Bible talk isn't just a smoke screen for personal prejudices."
http://www.advocate.com/politics/transgender/...
Here we go again. Gays wanting to deny religious freedoms.

Get lost punk. Let freedom ring when you so preciously demand the same.
Denver Dan

Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Judged:

WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
True enough but the trajectory is toward justice and equality, which means that hope exists.
Speaking of equality....why do gays want to deny an equal ability of religious freedoms to all Americans?

If South Dakota merely wants to protect the religious freedom to clergy who don't believe they should be kissing homosexuals asses in terms of following their own beliefs in terms of how to live their lives why are you so eager to strip them of that????

You gays are nothing more than hypocrites in so many ways.
Denver Dan

Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Judged:

WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Really??

UnConstitutional????

To hold a particular belief system in terms of religion???

Hey DUMBASS....it's all about individuals freedoms and some clergy don't want to do so much as share a 5 minute elevator ride with your gay self they have that freedom. It IS Constitutional to allow them that liberty idiot.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2014

Judged:

DNF wrote:
I hope everyone looks for this article when it comes to Topix.
Gay-marriage debate takes new twist in Oregon: religious exemption
Strange that these people feel bakers and florists need special protections(all in the name of religious freedom) but it's perfectly fine to arrest, fine and jail a Presbyterian minister in Indiana if they perform a SSM.
Truth IS stranger than fiction!

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2014

Judged:

Denver Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking of equality....why do gays want to deny an equal ability of religious freedoms to all Americans?
If South Dakota merely wants to protect the religious freedom to clergy who don't believe they should be kissing homosexuals asses in terms of following their own beliefs in terms of how to live their lives why are you so eager to strip them of that????
You gays are nothing more than hypocrites in so many ways.
What denial of religious liberty? No clergyman has to perform a marriage against his/his church's beliefs. It's a virtually nonexistent problem, why the fuss?

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2014

Judged:

Denver Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Really??
UnConstitutional????
To hold a particular belief system in terms of religion???
Hey DUMBASS....it's all about individuals freedoms and some clergy don't want to do so much as share a 5 minute elevator ride with your gay self they have that freedom. It IS Constitutional to allow them that liberty idiot.
Do you want them to stand in the back of the elevator? Wear a star on their sleeves? Use a separate (but equal, lol) drinking fountain? What will satisfy you.....
Denver Dan

Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2014

Judged:

albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
What denial of religious liberty? No clergyman has to perform a marriage against his/his church's beliefs. It's a virtually nonexistent problem, why the fuss?
Bigger question is why not LET them make that official???

Let South Dakota and other states pass bills like this to ensure freedom of religion???

Or are you ready to have more of these God damn gays sue, force bakers to go against their religion in their selfish need to think the world has to bow to them over their basic liberties???

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of199
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••