SD Bill Lets Clergy Refuse To Perform...

SD Bill Lets Clergy Refuse To Perform Gay Marriage

There are 199 comments on the KDLT-TV Sioux Falls story from Jan 30, 2014, titled SD Bill Lets Clergy Refuse To Perform Gay Marriage. In it, KDLT-TV Sioux Falls reports that:

South Dakota lawmakers are considering a measure that would allow clergy and religious organizations to refuse to take part in gay marriage services.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KDLT-TV Sioux Falls.

First Prev
of 10
Next Last

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#1 Jan 30, 2014
Another waste of taxpayers money.

Clergy are already protected from being forced to deny their faith.

A City Council member in Shreveport, La., has abandoned his effort to repeal an LGBT-inclusive antidiscrimination ordinance, following outcry from the public, including a transgender woman who dared him to stone her to death.

"Leviticus 20:13 states,'If a man also lie with mankind as he lieth with a woman, they shall surely put him to death,'" Raintree began. "I brought the first stone, Mr. Webb, in case that your Bible talk isn't just a smoke screen for personal prejudices."

http://www.advocate.com/politics/transgender/...

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#4 Jan 30, 2014
Since when are the clergy *required* to perform *ANY* marriage that they don't agree with?

The Roman Catholic Church that my sister-in-law was born and raised in refused to marry her to my brother because he wasn't Catholic and refused to sign the form pledging to raise any children they had as Catholics. He didn't object to my sister-in-law teaching them about her faith, but he reserved the right to teach them about HIS faith. And that was a no-go for the Church so they declined to perform the ceremony.

This happens EVERY DAY to straight couples. Why such a panic over clergy turning down gay couples? Only an idiot would want to force someone who doesn't believe in their union to marry them.

Fools.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#5 Jan 30, 2014
But it IS a good indication that even the anti-gay Republicans realize the bans on same-sex couples marrying are going to be overturned sooner rather than later.

Tawas City, Michigan

#7 Jan 30, 2014
And the bill was already killed in committee.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#9 Jan 30, 2014
DNF wrote:
Another waste of taxpayers money.
Clergy are already protected from being forced to deny their faith.
A City Council member in Shreveport, La., has abandoned his effort to repeal an LGBT-inclusive antidiscrimination ordinance, following outcry from the public, including a transgender woman who dared him to stone her to death.
"Leviticus 20:13 states,'If a man also lie with mankind as he lieth with a woman, they shall surely put him to death,'" Raintree began. "I brought the first stone, Mr. Webb, in case that your Bible talk isn't just a smoke screen for personal prejudices."
http://www.advocate.com/politics/transgender/...
Exactly. The first amendment guarantees the right of religious establishments to discriminate.

Since: Oct 10

San Francisco

#10 Jan 30, 2014
Rainbow Kid wrote:
We don't need to celebrate our wedding ceremonies wearing bulletproof vests in redneck churches surrounded by homophobic hoodies
http://m0.i.pbase.com/o6/04/318004/1/73285000...
I see you've been perusing Snickers/Pam/Chance's family photos again. Is that her father or her ex-husband? Or are they the same person?

Tawas City, Michigan

#11 Jan 30, 2014
Christaliban wrote:
<quoted text>
It warn't stupid enuf and will be re submitted once the paid consultant from Alabama finishes tweaking it.
The good news is even some Republicans are starting to oppose this nonsense. Look at what happened in Indiana with their proposed amendment, and in Oregon there are Republican legislators coming out in support of the pending referendum to overturn their constitutional ban in Nov.

Even in the Congress only the Teabagger nutjobs are supporting their "defense of marriage" bills; the mainstream Republicans are all running away from their rabid right wing.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#12 Jan 30, 2014
Since there is no law REQUIRING any clergy to perform weddings, this proposed law is nonsense.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#13 Jan 31, 2014
My aunt and uncle met after my aunt had been divorced. He was a life-long Catholic and she a life-long Lutheran. The Priest in my uncle's parish told them he could not marry them because her original husband was still alive, and their children would be bastards in the eyes of the church. My uncle punched him in the nose, and they got married by a JOP. However, the Catholics were happy to welcome the children in their school (tuition was very high compared to the children of regular Catholic families). As hypocritical as anything I have ever seen happen.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#15 Jan 31, 2014
RalphB wrote:
My aunt and uncle met after my aunt had been divorced. He was a life-long Catholic and she a life-long Lutheran. The Priest in my uncle's parish told them he could not marry them because her original husband was still alive, and their children would be bastards in the eyes of the church. My uncle punched him in the nose, and they got married by a JOP. However, the Catholics were happy to welcome the children in their school (tuition was very high compared to the children of regular Catholic families). As hypocritical as anything I have ever seen happen.
My partner Paul told me about his Mom and Dad. His family is Catholic.

His Dad beat her regularly. One of Paul's earliest memories is being in his crib screaming at his Dad to stop hitting his Mom.

When she sought help from the Church and said she wanted to leave him she was told that if she did she could face excommunication. So the priest advised her to pray that her husband would be hit by a bus or truck and killed.

Location hidden

#16 Jan 31, 2014
snyper wrote:
Since there is no law REQUIRING any clergy to perform weddings, this proposed law is nonsense.
Exactly. This is just more bogus political posturing.

Location hidden

#17 Jan 31, 2014
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>My partner Paul told me about his Mom and Dad. His family is Catholic.
His Dad beat her regularly. One of Paul's earliest memories is being in his crib screaming at his Dad to stop hitting his Mom.
When she sought help from the Church and said she wanted to leave him she was told that if she did she could face excommunication. So the priest advised her to pray that her husband would be hit by a bus or truck and killed.
Great.

“Equality First”

Location hidden

#18 Jan 31, 2014
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>My partner Paul told me about his Mom and Dad. His family is Catholic.
I actually broke out in laughter at that one. I'm speechless.

Tawas City, Michigan

#19 Jan 31, 2014
DNF wrote:
Lucky for her, she was a bus driver.....

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#21 Jan 31, 2014
DNF wrote:
Sounds like solid Irish Catholicism to me.

“God made in the image of man”

Since: May 07

Sausalito, CA

#22 Jan 31, 2014
Next thing the christians will claim that the scripture in Leviticus is a prophesy that accurately foretold the passing of two Colorado laws -- legalizing gay marriage and marijuana:

"If a man lieth with mankind as he lieth with a woman, they should both be stoned."

“Equality First”

Location hidden

#23 Feb 1, 2014
Umninimuzi wrote:
Next thing the christians will claim that the scripture in Leviticus is a prophesy that accurately foretold the passing of two Colorado laws -- legalizing gay marriage and marijuana:
"If a man lieth with mankind as he lieth with a woman, they should both be stoned."
Did they have or know about MJ a couple of thousand years age? Who knew!!

“Equality First”

Location hidden

#24 Feb 1, 2014
"age" should be "ago".

Location hidden

#25 Feb 1, 2014
Umninimuzi wrote:
Exactly. ROTFLMAO

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#26 Feb 2, 2014
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. This is just more bogus political posturing.
I just saw an article today that Oregon is going to vote on allowing "christian businesses" the right to refuse service to gays and lesbians.

It's ironic that the same people who are screaming about their religious freedom don't seem to be bothered by laws like Indiana that make it a crime to perform a religious SSM.

And that law has been around for over 10 years now. It was passed in 1997.

I hope the organizations that are fighting for GLBT equality use that in TV ads before the election.

They should also point out what Romans says about obeying civil laws, since the anti-gays often cite Romans.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News North Carolina's rush to bigotry 3 min Three Days 1,830
News Judge: California police targeted gays in sting... 38 min Strange Architecture 2
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 1 hr Redeemed 4,059
News Mississippi Governor Signs Law Allowing Busines... 1 hr woodtick57 369
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 1 hr lides 34,223
News The Latest: Kasich calls for balance on gay rig... 2 hr Three Days 12
News Long Beach Judge Throws Out Arrest Of Man Accus... 3 hr Belles Echoes 3
More from around the web