Southern Baptist Minister Explains Wh...

Southern Baptist Minister Explains Why He Changed His Mind On Homosexuality

There are 80 comments on the ThinkProgress story from Jun 4, 2014, titled Southern Baptist Minister Explains Why He Changed His Mind On Homosexuality. In it, ThinkProgress reports that:

The pastor of a Southern Baptist church in Los Angeles, California announced last month that he is now "gay affirming" and has accepted his son's homosexuality, a declaration that is causing a rift in his local congregation and sparking controversy within the Southern Baptist Convention.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ThinkProgress.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#1 Jun 4, 2014
I'm glad the pastor finally "saw the light." :)

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#2 Jun 4, 2014
My, my. So it took his son being a homosexual for him to change his mind. As much as I am happy he did so, if he were a true believer in his faith, perhaps he would have come to this conclusion before he was aware of his son being gay. So, I would be interested in knowing if he thought he was not a true Christian before. And would he have changed his mind if his son was straight? If not, would he still be the un-Christian that he was before?

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#3 Jun 4, 2014
RalphB wrote:
My, my. So it took his son being a homosexual for him to change his mind. As much as I am happy he did so, if he were a true believer in his faith, perhaps he would have come to this conclusion before he was aware of his son being gay. So, I would be interested in knowing if he thought he was not a true Christian before. And would he have changed his mind if his son was straight? If not, would he still be the un-Christian that he was before?
Either you didn't read the article or you didn't understand it.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#4 Jun 4, 2014
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Either you didn't read the article or you didn't understand it.
His quote, " If it wasn’t for this 15 year journey and my change in theology, I may have destroyed my son through reparative therapy.”

Then my questions still apply. Either he was not a true Christian 16 years ago, or he is not a true Christian now. I don't care which is fact, but I wonder if he does. And would he have changed had his son not been gay? That's a perfectly apt question.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#6 Jun 4, 2014
Eventually, they will all come to the light.

Location hidden

#7 Jun 4, 2014
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
His quote, " If it wasn’t for this 15 year journey and my change in theology, I may have destroyed my son through reparative therapy.”
Then my questions still apply. Either he was not a true Christian 16 years ago, or he is not a true Christian now. I don't care which is fact, but I wonder if he does. And would he have changed had his son not been gay? That's a perfectly apt question.
Christianity is about something other than a rule book. That was his mistake.

Location hidden

#8 Jun 4, 2014
The mistake was a form of idolatry.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#9 Jun 4, 2014
RalphB wrote:
You got it!
GOD works in mysterious ways
GOD taught the preacher a lesson that the preacher would have never learned otherwise

Location hidden

#10 Jun 4, 2014
Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
You got it!
GOD works in mysterious ways
GOD taught the preacher a lesson that the preacher would have never learned otherwise
Very true.
hiv aids pederast

Pittsfield, MA

#11 Jun 4, 2014
The Synagogue of Satan.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#12 Jun 4, 2014
So when is God going to issue corrections to all the mistakes and misprints in his bible ? We've been waiting a long time.

Location hidden

#13 Jun 4, 2014
Fa-Foxy wrote:
So when is God going to issue corrections to all the mistakes and misprints in his bible ? We've been waiting a long time.
Come on. It's God's Holy Word. ;-)

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#14 Jun 4, 2014
Fa-Foxy wrote:
I'm glad the pastor finally "saw the light." :)
I will certainly be interesting and probably hugely entertaining to watch the anti-gay 'religious freedom' crowd try to spin this.

The very ones who defend the anti SSM bakers and florists will undoubtedly have to come up with some very creative ways to justify attacking this minister.

Of course the old faithful standby of 'he's been corrupted by Satan' is always handy.

LOL
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#15 Jun 4, 2014
Fa-Foxy wrote:
GOD's bible is fine. It is public domain and cannot be copyrighted
http://etb-history-theology.blogspot.com/2012...
Why change such a marvelous collection of random fables and stories from back when only 25 people in the entire world could barely read and write each other's stuff?(and today's evangelical fundamentalists still can't read it)
That would be like asking Lewis Carroll to issue corrections to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland because the caterpillar smoked a hookah
Example; if the fundies changed the word 'hookah' to 'Camel'
See what I mean; Vern?
http://jimvarney.org/ernest.jpg

“in eastern nc”

Since: Apr 07

Jacksonville /CampLejeune

#16 Jun 4, 2014
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>I will certainly be interesting and probably hugely entertaining to watch the anti-gay 'religious freedom' crowd try to spin this.
The very ones who defend the anti SSM bakers and florists will undoubtedly have to come up with some very creative ways to justify attacking this minister.
Of course the old faithful standby of 'he's been corrupted by Satan' is always handy.
LOL
there is always a "lost sheep" in the group
Sen Rick Saintstillborn

Philadelphia, PA

#17 Jun 4, 2014
Great, he's about ten years stupider than educated society and he's about three years smarter than the other Baptists....

No accolades for that.

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#18 Jun 4, 2014
Another "christian" that only develops a sense of empathy when their hate effects someone they know.

But when the hate they're spewing only harms nameless, faceless people they don't know, it's no problem at all.

Location hidden

#19 Jun 4, 2014
eJohn wrote:
Another "christian" that only develops a sense of empathy when their hate effects someone they know.
But when the hate they're spewing only harms nameless, faceless people they don't know, it's no problem at all.
Think we can count on the Holy Ghost?

Since: Jan 08

Thailand

#20 Jun 4, 2014
I quote: "his feelings on homosexuality changed just before discovering that his son, Drew, was gay."

How convenient. I'm sure he had no clue his son was gay. I would really like to know how many hateful sermons he preached before his son came out. As far as I'm concerned he's just another freakin' hypocrite.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#21 Jun 4, 2014
Dubya wrote:
I quote: "his feelings on homosexuality changed just before discovering that his son, Drew, was gay."
How convenient. I'm sure he had no clue his son was gay. I would really like to know how many hateful sermons he preached before his son came out. As far as I'm concerned he's just another freakin' hypocrite.
Many parents don't know their children are gay until they come out.

I didn't come out until I was in my early 20's in college, and my parents were clueless about me being gay, until I told them.(They didn't believe me, and it was quite some time before I was able to convince them. I think the clincher was about 18 months later when I showed up unexpectedly at their home to visit for a few days. I brought my boyfriend with me. And she was a beautiful drag queen.:) I think that was the clincher).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 51 min AFry 14,735
News GLAAD studio study no hooray for Hollywood 1 hr Wondering 8
News Doritos makes rainbow chips in support of gay r... (Sep '15) 5 hr neighbor 1,661
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 5 hr Pope Closet Emeritus 25,631
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 6 hr Jasonville 6,091
News Russia is Investigating Chechnya's Anti-Gay Purge 6 hr Pope Closet Emeritus 2
News New gay-themed features, docs debut at Hartford... 6 hr Pope Closet Emeritus 3
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 7 hr Respect71 49,327
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 8 hr Frankie Rizzo 69,531
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... 21 hr Eagle 12 462
More from around the web