Largest US Protestant churches on gay clergy

Feb 28, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Oregonian

A look at where the largest Protestant churches in the United States stand on gay clergy: ?UNITED METHODIST CHURCH: 7.9 million U.S. members.

Comments
1 - 20 of 311 Comments Last updated Jan 7, 2013
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

“Plays well with others.”

Since: Jun 07

LIVING WELL*THE BEST REVENGE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2010

Judged:

My favorite Co-Editor, Rob O'Blogger.

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2010

Judged:

from The Oregonian:

"EPISCOPAL CHURCH: 2.1 million U.S. members. The splintering global Anglican fellowship has moved to the brink of a full schism since the 2003 consecration of the first openly gay Episcopal bishop. Last July, the Episcopal General Convention approved a resolution saying 'God has called and may call' gays in committed relationships to any ordained ministry in the church."

Not surprisingly this is close to the UCC stance, also in the story.

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2010

Judged:

EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH IN AMERICA: 4.7 million U.S. members. The church voted in August to strike down a policy that required celibacy of gay clergy, becoming the largest U.S. denomination to take that position. The change allows those in committed same-gender relationships to be on official ELCA church rosters and serve as pastors at congregations that want them.

UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST: 1.1 million U.S. members. Boasts a long track record of welcoming gay clergy. Allowed ordination of an openly gay man and openly lesbian woman in the 1970s. Ordination of practicing homosexuals was officially accepted in 1980.

EPISCOPAL CHURCH: 2.1 million U.S. members. The splintering global Anglican fellowship has moved to the brink of a full schism since the 2003 consecration of the first openly gay Episcopal bishop. Last July, the Episcopal General Convention approved a resolution saying**** "God has called and may call" gays in committed relationships to any ordained ministry in the church.****

Look at all these people who use the brains God gave then as well as there hearts.

People who understand each individual is different and not to be painted with some bigots broad brush.

It's who they are, not what they are........

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2010

Judged:

MiddleWay...you are using LOGIC again...stop it right now.

“... truth will out.”

Stratford, Connecticut.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2010

Judged:

MiddleWay wrote:
... People who understand each individual is different and not to be painted with some bigots broad brush.
It's who they are, not what they are........
But how do you square that w/scripture?

I still recall how foolish Bp. Robinson sounded when he explained to CNSNews that Paul's admonition against homosexuality (Romans 1) was only intended for heterosexuals!
Frank Stanton

Saratoga Springs, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2010

I relocated my place of residence a few months ago, and I have been looking for a new church to attend.

In the past 6 months I have attended one of the following churches each sunday:

1 - Methodist church
1 - Episcopal church
2 - churches of The United church Of Christ
3 - Lutheran churches

Being born & raised Lutheran for more than 50 years, I will probably join Lutheran church, but I have made no decisions yet, and will probably decide within the next 6 months.

For those of unfamiliar with Protestant churches, it is the custom after the last service on sunday, to share a meal and drink.

At each of the churches I have attended the past 6 months, I asked each pastor after the service if they had any problem with homosexuality or having an openly gay man such as myself join the church. In EACH case, the pastor replied that I was welcome to join the church.

I think that the widespread belief that Christianity, and MOST Christian pastors are not welcoming to gay people is not true, and this misperception is caused by a VERY VOCAL unwelcoming minority of pastors.

I have certainly found the 7 churches I have been attending the past few months to be very welcoming.

“... truth will out.”

Stratford, Connecticut.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2010

Judged:

Frank Stanton wrote:
... I think that the widespread belief that Christianity, and MOST Christian pastors are not welcoming to gay people is not true, and this misperception is caused by a VERY VOCAL unwelcoming minority of pastors.
The story is where these churches stand on gay clergy, not gay parishoners.
Frank Stanton

Saratoga Springs, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2010

Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
The story is where these churches stand on gay clergy, not gay parishoners.
Well, the Lutheran Church (ELCA), the Episcopal Church, and the United Church Of Christ all allows gay clergy.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2010

Judged:

Frank Stanton wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, the Lutheran Church (ELCA), the Episcopal Church, and the United Church Of Christ all allows gay clergy.
Looks like YOU chose wisely. I am sure that you will find the right place for you.
Akfbks

Fairbanks, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2010

Judged:

Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
But how do you square that w/scripture?
I still recall how foolish Bp. Robinson sounded when he explained to CNSNews that Paul's admonition against homosexuality (Romans 1) was only intended for heterosexuals!
Joe, you reconcile with Scripture the same way the Judeo-Christian tradition has done from the beginning of Christianity, with a critical-historical reading of the Bible. Too many so-called Christians no longer do so and only have opinions. Bishop Robinson was and is correct.
Akfbks

Fairbanks, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2010

Selecia Jones- JAX FL wrote:
MiddleWay...you are using LOGIC again...stop it right now.
Selecia, excuse me for my seriousness but are you joking or was that a serious put down?
Ego te absolvo

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2010

Scripture prophesies a wide falling away from the teachings of God in the latter days. Read the parable of the sower.
Akfbks

Fairbanks, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2010

Ego te absolvo wrote:
Scripture prophesies a wide falling away from the teachings of God in the latter days. Read the parable of the sower.
Ego te absolvo, so the question is, what identifies those false religions that claim to be Christian?
Frank Stanton

Saratoga Springs, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2010

Amongst the churches I attended this past month are 2 Lutheran (ELCA) churches in the same city 3 blocks apart. Both pastors are former Roman Catholics.

Being both ELCA churches only 3 blocks apart in the same city, I'm surprised they don't merge.
Akfbks

Fairbanks, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2010

Frank Stanton wrote:
Amongst the churches I attended this past month are 2 Lutheran (ELCA) churches in the same city 3 blocks apart. Both pastors are former Roman Catholics.
Being both ELCA churches only 3 blocks apart in the same city, I'm surprised they don't merge.
Hi Frank, My wife was born Lutheran, I was born Catholic. I left the Catholic Church with the Second Vatican Council decrees. Could not handle change from a the Church that it's doctrine was sacred. Ironically, before my wife and I got married, she was in the Jesus Freak movement. She posed a lot of questions to me that I had no answers for. Five years later I married her and then knew more that she did about Christianity. The irony is that we returned to her Lutheran heritage. That heritage is about the Reformation, re-formation. Early on in our attendance, the church learned that I was Catholic. They wanted me to lead, facilitate Bible study because I was Catholic. I asked, how was that a qualifier? They seemed to think that Catholics knew more about the Bible than Lutherans. I had to laugh, no Catholic catechism included Bible study. I took on the task and what I found was that these Lutherans had opinions but no factual information. Actually, they attended Bible studies but very few ever read the lesson. I found the Lutheran constitution hypocritical. Their was a merger, hence the ELCA and with that the concept that the church accepted all beliefs and question none.

I got a lot out of the various Pastors, intern and interim Pastors as well. I owe a lot to these mentors and my faith, my belief is strong once again. But I do not go to church anymore.
Frank Stanton

Saratoga Springs, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2010

Selecia Jones- JAX FL wrote:
My favorite Co-Editor, Rob O'Blogger.
i LOVE the Irish !

:)
Frank Stanton

Saratoga Springs, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2010

Akfbks wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Frank, My wife was born Lutheran, I was born Catholic. I left the Catholic Church with the Second Vatican Council decrees. Could not handle change from a the Church that it's doctrine was sacred. Ironically, before my wife and I got married, she was in the Jesus Freak movement. She posed a lot of questions to me that I had no answers for. Five years later I married her and then knew more that she did about Christianity. The irony is that we returned to her Lutheran heritage. That heritage is about the Reformation, re-formation. Early on in our attendance, the church learned that I was Catholic. They wanted me to lead, facilitate Bible study because I was Catholic. I asked, how was that a qualifier? They seemed to think that Catholics knew more about the Bible than Lutherans. I had to laugh, no Catholic catechism included Bible study. I took on the task and what I found was that these Lutherans had opinions but no factual information. Actually, they attended Bible studies but very few ever read the lesson. I found the Lutheran constitution hypocritical. Their was a merger, hence the ELCA and with that the concept that the church accepted all beliefs and question none.
I got a lot out of the various Pastors, intern and interim Pastors as well. I owe a lot to these mentors and my faith, my belief is strong once again. But I do not go to church anymore.
Well, I enjoy going to church, so I am looking for a church to join as I relocated my residence recently as I stated above. I REALLY miss my previous church.

I attended Lutheran churches for 40 years, then a church in The United Church Of Christ for 14 years, now I'm back looking for a Lutheran church again.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2010

Judged:

Frank Stanton wrote:
<quoted text>
i LOVE the Irish !
:)
Me too. Glad someone got the joke.

“... truth will out.”

Stratford, Connecticut.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2010

Judged:

Frank Stanton wrote:
<quoted text>
So there was nothing in the story abt these or any other church not welcoming gays.
Frank Stanton

Saratoga Springs, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2010

Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
So there was nothing in the story abt these or any other church not welcoming gays.
That answer I gave was not in answer to the statement you make here.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 16
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••