God at the Gay Pride Parade

God at the Gay Pride Parade

There are 97 comments on the Religion Dispatched story from Jun 11, 2013, titled God at the Gay Pride Parade. In it, Religion Dispatched reports that:

As acceptance of LGBT people, relationships, and legal equality spreads in communities of faith, churches and other religious groups are boosting their visibility in pride celebrations.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Religion Dispatched.

senior citizen

Granite City, IL

#77 Jun 17, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Then either God did not make gay people or gay people are not a mistake.
GOD does NOT make gay people - that is your choice.
Born Again Gay

Alpharetta, GA

#78 Jun 17, 2013
senior citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
You're just not gay enough
senior citizen

Granite City, IL

#79 Jun 17, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
True Meaning of the Word
If the Word of God does not mean the Bible, what does it mean?

Much the greatest Word that God has ever spoken is his Son. Jesus is the supreme manifestation of the word of God. The Apostle John began his gospel:‘In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.’ Later in the same chapter we read:‘And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld his glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.’ Revelation 19:13 gives Jesus the same title:‘His name is called the Word of God’. Hebrews 1:1 and 11:3 have the same implication:‘God ... in these last days has spoken to us in his Son ... through whom also he made the world’; ‘By faith we understand that the world was prepared by the word of God’.

Jesus is the supreme and central manifestation of the word of God. All other manifestations of that word relate to him. The phrase the word of God in Scripture is also used to describe anything that God said to anyone or through anyone. For example,‘the word of the Lord came to Moses’,‘the word of God came to John in the wilderness’,‘the word of the Lord to Israel through Malachi’ or ‘the words of Amos which he saw concerning Israel’.

When God speaks, it is the word of God. In the Old Testament God spoke directly to the prophets. He spoke to others through them. He also spoke through events in the lives of individuals and the nation. This state of affairs continued essentially until Pentecost, when the Spirit was poured out upon all flesh. The circle of those to whom he wants to speak directly is extended to all who believe. No longer is it only the few prophets and leaders, but it is the common man.

It is contrary not only to scripture, but also to nature and reason, to believe that God wants to use a book as his primary method of communication. Writing is in general a bad way of communicating, as it is static and inflexible. For most purposes speaking is much better, and I should think ninety per cent of human communication is done that way. Writing is only better when you want a permanent record. It combats the failing of human memory and removes grounds for argument.

Several further factors confirm the Bible is not God’s primary method of communication. Only a minority of the human race, and not even all Christians, own Bibles. Before the last century’s great increase in literacy the number was much smaller. Before the invention of printing and the reformation privately owned Bibles were unimagined and all Bibles were in Latin anyway. Even for the privileged few that own Bibles today there are further problems. Our Bibles are not the original inspired words, but very fallible translations. Even the best scholar cannot begin to know an ancient language as well as a child speaks its native tongue, because he has only a fraction of the study material. The scholar has a limited number of ancient manuscripts, while the child is surrounded by a ceaseless flow of speech. Even if scholars knew Greek and Hebrew as well as we know English, it is still impossible to translate the exact meaning from one language to another. God has placed limitations on the wonderful book he has given us because he has something better and greater.

Let me stress again, God’s primary way of speaking to man is directly through the Holy Spirit to those who have ears to hear, and then through them to others.

When apostles and prophets in Scripture spoke under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, God was speaking through them. What they said was the word of God to their hearers. When a man or woman today speaks under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, that also is the word of God for whomsoever God intends it. When God speaks a message directly to our hearts by the Holy Spirit, that also is his word.
When Satan quoted scripture to Jesus in the wilderness, it was not the word of GOD.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#80 Jun 17, 2013
senior citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
If you believe that children, many who have never even MET a gay person, have the magical ability to choose their sexual orientation, can you explain how it's done?

What is the exact mechanism, and what do this kids base this amazing choice, on? It can't be sex, since most of them have never engaged in it.

My son can't remember to put the milk back in the fridge or raise the toilet seat half the time at 13. I can't imagine he has the magical ability to completely remove his heterosexuality and become ONLY attracted to the same gender.

How does this odd "choice" of yours work?

When you made your "choice", how did YOU choose to be heterosexual? And what did you do with your attractions to the same gender, since at least two options are always required for any choice?

Location hidden

#82 Jun 17, 2013
senior citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
Cancer is not a fun topic to talk about. What are you saying - women should not have surgery to remove cancer. Just because a woman has to have surgery to remove her body parts because of cancer that does not make her a MAN.
You are right - body parts alone don't make us men or women - it's much much more than that. And that should make it easier to understand what transsexuals feel.

Regardless of body parts, they just KNOW what gender they are - just as you would even if you were injured in such a way as to lose a few important ones.

Location hidden

#84 Jun 17, 2013
senior citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
True Meaning of the Word
And if the Word could not be interpreted in a million ways, there would not be thousands of different Christian denominations.

If your particular interpretation is not based in fact, and in logic, then perhaps it is not the right one.

God didn't create us to be illogical and foolish.
Professor Bubblegum Shoe

Alpharetta, GA

#85 Jun 17, 2013
senior citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
True Meaning of the Word
Much the greatest Word that God has ever spoken is his Son. Jesus is the supreme manifestation of the word of God. The Apostle John began his gospel:‘In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.’ Later in the same chapter we read:‘And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld his glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.’ Revelation 19:13 gives Jesus the same title:‘His name is called the Word of God’. Hebrews 1:1 and 11:3 have the same implication:‘God ... in these last days has spoken to us in his Son ... through whom also he made the world’; ‘By faith we understand that the world was prepared by the word of God’.
Jesus is the supreme and central manifestation of the word of God. All other manifestations of that word relate to him. The phrase the word of God in Scripture is also used to describe anything that God said to anyone or through anyone. For example,‘the word of the Lord came to Moses’,‘the word of God came to John in the wilderness’,‘the word of the Lord to Israel through Malachi’ or ‘the words of Amos which he saw concerning Israel’.
When God speaks, it is the word of God. In the Old Testament God spoke directly to the prophets. He spoke to others through them. He also spoke through events in the lives of individuals and the nation. This state of affairs continued essentially until Pentecost, when the Spirit was poured out upon all flesh. The circle of those to whom he wants to speak directly is extended to all who believe. No longer is it only the few prophets and leaders, but it is the common man.
It is contrary not only to scripture, but also to nature and reason, to believe that God wants to use a book as his primary method of communication. Writing is in general a bad way of communicating, as it is static and inflexible. For most purposes speaking is much better, and I should think ninety per cent of human communication is done that way. Writing is only better when you want a permanent record. It combats the failing of human memory and removes grounds for argument.
Several further factors confirm the Bible is not God’s primary method of communication. Only a minority of the human race, and not even all Christians, own Bibles. Before the last century’s great increase in literacy the number was much smaller. Before the invention of printing and the reformation privately owned Bibles were unimagined and all Bibles were in Latin anyway. Even for the privileged few that own Bibles today there are further problems. Our Bibles are not the original inspired words, but very fallible translations. Even the best scholar cannot begin to know an ancient language as well as a child speaks its native tongue, because he has only a fraction of the study material. The scholar has a limited number of ancient manuscripts, while the child is surrounded by a ceaseless flow of speech. Even if scholars knew Greek and Hebrew as well as we know English, it is still impossible to translate the exact meaning from one language to another. God has placed limitations on the wonderful book he has given us because he has something better and greater.
Let me stress again, God’s primary way of speaking to man is directly through the Holy Spirit to those who have ears to hear, and then through them to others.
When apostles and prophets in Scripture spoke under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, God was speaking through them. What they said was the word of God to their hearers. When a man or woman today speaks under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, that also is the word of God for whomsoever God intends it. When God speaks a message directly to our hearts by the Holy Spirit, that also is his word.
When Satan quoted scripture to Jesus in the wilderness, it was not the word of GOD.
Cannot be proven in court
Logic Lesson 4 Homophobes

Alpharetta, GA

#86 Jun 17, 2013
TrueBlood wrote:
<quoted text>
Rainbow Kid, you stupid [email protected] Quit changing your name, sugar.
When I converse with the mentally ill; my avatar has to counter-reflect their irrational state of mind
Much Love; sugar
Rainbow Kid

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#87 Jun 17, 2013
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
And if the Word could not be interpreted in a million ways, there would not be thousands of different Christian denominations.
If your particular interpretation is not based in fact, and in logic, then perhaps it is not the right one.
Personally, I prefer the phrase "The Truth" to "The Word". I began looking for the Truth when I was 15, came out, and was told by a Lutheran minister that being gay was not a sin, but acting on it, and loving another man in that manner was sin. I left, and I began looking for the Truth. And every time I found some religion touting some version of the Truth, I also found subsequent events that rendered that Truth untrue. I finally realized there is no Truth to be found in religion or philosophy. The truth resides within ourselves, and it expands as our life and experiences demand. Perhaps I am not articulate enough to explain it, but when a situation comes up, I look within to determine my best course. And that course is defined by what harm my action or in-action might cause. Religion and philosophy are too rigid to live within their boundaries. However, they are o.k. as a beginning, but need to be altered as experience comes.
senior citizen

Granite City, IL

#88 Jun 17, 2013
Professor Bubblegum Shoe wrote:
<quoted text>
Cannot be proven in court
Yes it can and it will be in GOD's court.
senior citizen

Granite City, IL

#89 Jun 17, 2013
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
All Christian churches believe the same thing "GOD sent his son to die on the cross for our sins."
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#90 Jun 17, 2013
senior citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
All Christian churches believe the same thing "GOD sent his son to die on the cross for our sins."
Malarkey! GOD sent his son bearing a message of love; and you sorry-a$$ straight people tortured and murdered Jesus in cold blood and nailed him to a cross
Shame on you straight people
So GOD created HIS new and improved gay people with better brains and peaceful souls to make the world a safe place for Jesus
And every time you see a rainbow in the sky; you know that GOD is pleased with HIS finest creations; The Gay People
SHADOW

Bulverde, TX

#91 Jun 17, 2013
Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
Speak for yourself; sugar
I'm not a religious homophobe
No it is easy to see you are just a run of the mill pervert.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#92 Jun 17, 2013
SHADOW wrote:
<quoted text>
No it is easy to see you are just a run of the mill pervert.
I'm not a pervert
You are
SHADOW

Bulverde, TX

#93 Jun 17, 2013
Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not a pervert
You are
I said it first soooooo you are IT.
Just how you gender confused perverts roll I guess.
rainbow kid--hehehehehahahahahaheheheh ehahahaha

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#94 Jun 17, 2013
Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not a pervert
You are
Apparently he forgot that it takes one to know one.

Hence, the scripture regarding removal of the sequioa from one's own eye before attempting to extricate the splinter from your brother's eye.

Same basic material present. Difference in multiple orders of magnitude.

Please do not be offended, Rainbow. I am not accusing you of either having a splinter in your own eye or offering to help with the removal of the sequoia from the eye of the SHADOW of the Texas dung pile.

I would not recommend trying to do that. The sequioa in that eye is so large and festerously coated with dung that only the Master Woodsman with a functioning pressure-washer could do it and leave the head of the individual still able to function. You know who that is who is able to do that and it isn't either you or me.

Rev. Ken
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#95 Jun 17, 2013
SHADOW wrote:
<quoted text>
I said it first soooooo you are IT.
Just how you gender confused perverts roll I guess.
rainbow kid--hehehehehahahahahaheheheh ehahahaha
I was born with the same sexual orientation your 'mother' was born with; attracted to men
Is your mother's gender confusion the reason you're posting in the TOPIX Gay/Lesbian chat room; sugarbro?
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#97 Jun 17, 2013
The Shadow wrote:
<quoted text>
His mother doesn't have a d!ck like you do.
Well I certainly hope she doesn't; sugar
She would need an extra wheel on her skateboard
SHADOW

Bulverde, TX

#98 Jun 17, 2013
Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
I was born with the same sexual orientation your 'mother' was born with; attracted to men
Is your mother's gender confusion the reason you're posting in the TOPIX Gay/Lesbian chat room; sugarbro?
Sure looks like the Episcopal Church Forum to me pervert.
You guys are so original. Next you will be saying "I'm rubber and you are glue".
Were you born a male or not sissy? If so you are a man who can't handle the pressure of real world situations so you put on your best little dress and no one is supposed to confront a little pervert sissy right.
Geez you people are sickening
SHADOW

Bulverde, TX

#99 Jun 17, 2013
Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/gay
You are confused in more ways than one huh sissy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The NE Jade Thursday Thread 6 min Dooky 7
Maybe god is gay! (Dec '09) 8 min June VanDerMark 10,293
News Pope Francis eases way for divorced Catholics w... 9 min cpeter1313 57
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 11 min Strel 11,786
News Feds' transgender guidance provokes fierce back... 1 hr Sheriff Joe 529 905
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 1 hr Respect71 36,158
News Some question gay police as grand marshals of P... 1 hr NE Jaid 6
More from around the web