Teaching Gay History in California

Jul 9, 2011 Full story: EDGE 12,515

California lawmakers on Tuesday sent the governor a bill that would make the state the first requiring public schools to include the contributions of gays and lesbians in social studies curriculum.

Full Story

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#13338 Feb 4, 2013
Marriage is a fundamental right of the individual, as affirmed 14 times by the Supreme Court.

Everyone qualifies for fundamental rights by virtue of being alive, though a fundamental right may be denied or delayed, but only if the government can demonstrate a compelling and legitimate governmental interest for doing so.

Procreation ability, intent, or even desire has never been a requirement, yet gay people do raise children both biologically related or adopted. Denial of equal treatment provides nothing to opposite sex couples, while harming same sex couples needlessly.

Prejudice fails to qualify as a legitimate government interest sufficient for denial of equal treatment as required by the 5th and 14th amendments.

“These matters, involving the most intimate and personal choices a person may make in a lifetime, choices central to personal dignity and autonomy, are central to the liberty protected by the Fourteenth Amendment. At the heart of liberty is the right to define one’s own concept of existence, of meaning, of the universe, and of the mystery of human life.” SCOTUS

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

#13339 Feb 4, 2013
Why bother to argue with a doorknob such as yourself.

You can't think yourself out of a game of Tic Tac Toe.
Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
Tom has never once gave me proper argument! He doesn't say anything of any substance! It must suck for him!

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#13340 Feb 4, 2013
Marriage isn't for everyone, you have no right to marriage if you can't find a qualified marriage partner. Any homosexual may marry under current rules; homosexuals have always married under the same laws as everyone else. There is no orientation test for a marriage license.

You may not impose your new standard of gender segregated marriage on everyone to satiate sexual predilection.
Alright now later guess

Sonoma, CA

#13342 Feb 5, 2013
mammy yoknuf00 wrote:
what about fat people and their right to have small stinky noisy demented nude dogs? This is a god given right and that is that. I dont care what you say and that is why I believe in the teabag party and always vote for them and their stuff as they dont know crap either and refuse to learn which is a strategic position but there are plenty of us and we all meet in church. woopee in the vestry no more but planning in the sacristy is on and you are off. Or something like that cant we all just get along with the korean mooslimms? Remeber that DC is full now of the Morons from Outer Space who have taken over so we have to go along or lose our pups.
Waddabout htese here Morons from space thing? Isa that true or just some kind of guess by them colleges? We blow so much studying crap that we could ought to be able to prove this here. Bless the parties, right on?!
LaTrina Marin City

Sonoma, CA

#13344 Feb 5, 2013
Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
You illegal nuts learn so much feminist induced nonsense in college yourself, how ironic.
That is true! If they take my check I will, get pissed. The reason god is mad at us is because we mess with the boss stars and take pictures when they is out and about, know what I maean? They own more stuff because they got more money and god gave them the money and we are twatts to want what they got because we are nt going to get it. THE TV woman said that the richest are the best because they got what god gives them and we get what is left as the laws of the jingle. NO TAXES on them, she said, NO annoyed them, she said. This has to be tried to get god off our backs as I cant take no more or pay for nothing to buy.

AOL

#13345 Feb 5, 2013
Brian, your attempts at rationalization still fail to provide any justification for harming gay people through denial of a fundamental civil right.

Again, being human is all that is required for a fundamental right. While it may be restricted or delayed, the government must demonstrate a compelling and legitimate governmental interest for doing so. Your creative use of pejorative terminology and misrepresentation of the constitution fails to provide any.

Despite the escalation of pejorative terminology, coupled with a denial of relying on such emotionally loaded words and phrases, marriage equality does not impose same sex marriage on anyone. It expands freedom to more people. It does not restrict it. It does not change what marriage is for straight couples.

Segregation and apartheid are restrictions, imposed upon others against their will.

Expanding marriage to allow equal participation under the laws currently in effect, imposes no restrictions. It removes unnecessary, burdensome, and harmful, restrictions.

Again, the 14th amendment only recognized women were not counted as voters. That one mention of treating women differently but only when counting voters, was nullified by the 19th amendment, which gave women the right to vote. The 5th and 14th amendments require equal treatment for all persons. "All persons" specifically includes both men and women. This is gender equality, written in the constitution.

Same sex marriage does not take anything away from marriage. It adds same sex couples to the mix, providing more opportunities for children both biologically related and adopted. Gay people are not infertile.

Irrational fear mongering is still all you have to justify refusing to treat all persons equally as promised in the founding documents and required by the constitution. It would be funny, if it were not also stigmatizing, dehumanizing, insulting, and harmful, contributing to and maintaining a social hostility that continues to cause young people to kill themselves. The prejudice you promote, contributes to needless suffering and death, here and around the world.

It is time to overcome your irrational prejudice, stop spreading harm, and accept reality.
Brenda Lee Johnson

Los Angeles, CA

#13347 Feb 5, 2013
Who says it is a right? A twisted interpretation of the Constitution by radical homosexual activist?
Not Yet Equal wrote:
Brian, your attempts at rationalization still fail to provide any justification for harming gay people through denial of a fundamental civil right.
Again, being human is all that is required for a fundamental right. While it may be restricted or delayed, the government must demonstrate a compelling and legitimate governmental interest for doing so. Your creative use of pejorative terminology and misrepresentation of the constitution fails to provide any.
Despite the escalation of pejorative terminology, coupled with a denial of relying on such emotionally loaded words and phrases, marriage equality does not impose same sex marriage on anyone. It expands freedom to more people. It does not restrict it. It does not change what marriage is for straight couples.
Segregation and apartheid are restrictions, imposed upon others against their will.
Expanding marriage to allow equal participation under the laws currently in effect, imposes no restrictions. It removes unnecessary, burdensome, and harmful, restrictions.
Again, the 14th amendment only recognized women were not counted as voters. That one mention of treating women differently but only when counting voters, was nullified by the 19th amendment, which gave women the right to vote. The 5th and 14th amendments require equal treatment for all persons. "All persons" specifically includes both men and women. This is gender equality, written in the constitution.
Same sex marriage does not take anything away from marriage. It adds same sex couples to the mix, providing more opportunities for children both biologically related and adopted. Gay people are not infertile.
Irrational fear mongering is still all you have to justify refusing to treat all persons equally as promised in the founding documents and required by the constitution. It would be funny, if it were not also stigmatizing, dehumanizing, insulting, and harmful, contributing to and maintaining a social hostility that continues to cause young people to kill themselves. The prejudice you promote, contributes to needless suffering and death, here and around the world.
It is time to overcome your irrational prejudice, stop spreading harm, and accept reality.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#13349 Feb 5, 2013
They want to teach kids to love the superstar no matter the gender to increase revenue.

Greed drives same sex marriage.

AOL

#13350 Feb 5, 2013
Irrational prejudice drives discrimination. Together, they cause needless suffering and death.

Not only does anti-gay discrimination and prejudice result in pressure to keep secrets and be dishonest, is causes needless stress resulting in emotional and physical harm.

"Prejudice and discrimination have social and personal impact." "The widespread prejudice, discrimination, and violence to which lesbians and gay men are often subjected are significant mental health concerns. Sexual prejudice, sexual orientation discrimination, and antigay violence are major sources of stress for lesbian, gay, and bisexual people. Although social support is crucial in coping with stress, antigay attitudes and discrimination may make it difficult for lesbian, gay, and bisexual people to find such support."

AOL

#13351 Feb 5, 2013
The 14th amendment says no state shall "deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

The U.S. Supreme Court said: "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts. One's right to life, liberty, and property, to free speech, a free press, freedom of worship and assembly, and other fundamental rights may not be submitted to vote; they depend on the outcome of no elections."

"Fourteen times the Supreme Court has stated that marriage is a fundamental right of all individuals. This case tests the proposition whether the gay and lesbian Americans among us should be counted as ‘persons’ under the 14th Amendment, or whether they constitute a permanent underclass ineligible for protection under that cornerstone of our Constitution.”
Constitutional attorneys Theodore B. Olson and David Boies in their prop.8 filing:

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#13352 Feb 5, 2013
Conservatives in Great Britain reject same sex marriage on same sex marriage: "denounced the legislation, saying it was morally wrong, not a public priority, and unnecessarily divisive, threatening a corrosive legacy of bitterness."
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/06/us-...

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#13353 Feb 5, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
Irrational prejudice drives discrimination....
Same sex marriage introduces a new standard of gender discrimination and segregation to marriage that has always been gender diverse and integrated. When you discuss this issue, you quickly learn all the hate is on the left.

“Post-religious”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#13354 Feb 6, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Same sex marriage introduces a new standard of gender discrimination and segregation to marriage that has always been gender diverse and integrated. When you discuss this issue, you quickly learn all the hate is on the left.
Your "reasoning" is twisted.

Feel free to provide evidence of an individual who was victimized by "gender discrimination" by being allowed to obtain a civil marriage that is not limited on the basis of sex.
Rnee R9f

Sonoma, CA

#13355 Feb 6, 2013
Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
That lady sure makes me angry!
I can agree with your sentiment. There exists an "however" of course; is it not true that her protestations of denied resources to which she would prefer to find herself somehow entitled are those grabby sensations against which your american Teabag Party was founded? Her comments, if I may call them that, are either a plant by that party or a remarkably spontaneous support of the party's basic premise, which one believes is " I've got mine, you get none so now begone so that I can get more of what remains". I can to some degree, quite limited degree, feel some pain for a person who has been give the name " LATRINA "...one can only imagine her early life and youth camp roll calls of that name...built in sustaining ouch, wouldnt you agree?

El Paso, TX

#13356 Feb 6, 2013
Want some cheese with that whine?

Brian_G wrote:
Conservatives in Great Britain reject same sex marriage on same sex marriage: "denounced the legislation, saying it was morally wrong, not a public priority, and unnecessarily divisive, threatening a corrosive legacy of bitterness."
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/06/us-...

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#13357 Feb 6, 2013
Jerald wrote:
Your "reasoning" is twisted.
At least I'm using reason; let's see what you got.

Jerald wrote:
Feel free to provide evidence of an individual who was victimized by "gender discrimination" by being allowed to obtain a civil marriage that is not limited on the basis of sex.
No, stop gender equality now, to save our daughters, sisters, mothers and wives from training injury and death as front line combat troops. There's no need to put gender equality in our military, encourage victory instead. Women and children are a real protected class.

Gender equality is an ersatz right; same sex marriage is bad because it brings a new standard of gender segregation to marriage where only gender diversity and integration existed before.

Riverside, NJ

#13359 Feb 6, 2013
Why bother to educate anyone past junior high? Even with a college degree you won't get a job that pays well. The only good paying jobs are public sector union jobs and you probably will have to be related to someone to get one of those jobs.

El Paso, TX

#13360 Feb 6, 2013
You sure do like hangin with the Gays don't ya?

Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing substancial yet again.

El Paso, TX

#13362 Feb 6, 2013
Back again so soon. You just can't get enough of Gays for some strange reason. Seems what they say about folks like you just might be true.

Go ahead and open that closet door. We know that's why you're here.
Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
And you even think you are very smart.

AOL

#13363 Feb 6, 2013
I am what I am
I am my own special creation.
So come take a look,
Give me the hook or the ovation.
It's my world that I want to take a little pride in,
My world, and it's not a place I have to hide in.
Life's not worth a damn,
'Til you can say, "Hey world, I am what I am."
I am what I am,
I don't want praise, I don't want pity.
I bang my own drum,
Some think it's noise, I think it's pretty.
And so what, if I love each feather and each spangle,
Why not try to see things from a diff'rent angle?
Your life is a sham 'til you can shout out loud
I am what I am!
I am what I am
And what I am needs no excuses.
I deal my own deck
Sometimes the ace, sometimes the deuces.
There's one life, and there's no return and no deposit;
One life, so it's time to open up your closet.
Life's not worth a damn 'til you can say,
"Hey world, I am what I am!"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Efforts underway to change GOP on gay marriage 3 min Jonah1 36
Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? 3 min Frankie Rizzo 1,360
Allowing Blood Donations From Gay Men Could Hel... 14 min Fundie Taliban 55
US judge upholds state same-sex marriage ban, r... 15 min Frankie Rizzo 894
Pope chooses a moderate for Chicago archbishop 17 min Fundie Taliban 14
Justice Kagan performs her first same-sex wedding 21 min Fundie Taliban 1
Pregnant Alicia Keys Poses Nude to Draw Attenti... 25 min Fundie Taliban 3
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 34 min JohnInToronto 250
How long before being gay is a fireable offense? 1 hr Fundie Taliban 39
Biggest Gay Lies 3 hr Toby 2,088