Teaching Gay History in California

Jul 9, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: EDGE

California lawmakers on Tuesday sent the governor a bill that would make the state the first requiring public schools to include the contributions of gays and lesbians in social studies curriculum.

Comments
12,301 - 12,320 of 12,516 Comments Last updated Sep 7, 2013

Uve

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
Hearsay is not proof, try arguing facts instead OF YOUR LIES HITLER!
Pappy, don't make me look this sh*t up for you..The AMA (American Medical Association) stated several years ago that Homosexuality wasn't a mental illness...Get over it and move on..Do something else, go watch TV or something..I'm really not wishing ill of you but, It's getting embarrassing.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
In their ignorance they try to be nice, its that simple, they assume they know when they don't.
Yes, we know:

"Scientifically rigorous older studies in this area found that sexual orientation was unlikely to change due to efforts designed for this purpose."

Experiments have been going on for decades. They used to lock up gay people and experiment on them, with electric shock, castration, emetics, and lobotomies, and nothing worked.(Lobotomies rendered them incapable of any attractions. It did not make them straight.)

Even unethical methods failed to effect any change in orientation.
PADDY2START

Napa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

Well then. Me uncle ludo changed his drag to confuser them coppers. He use me mam's old stuff from before the disease and when she war heavy. He got right off propositioned by a boozy biker broad who thought he was a really she and then he joined her gang as a she and now he gets all kinder snartch, but he aint easily invitable to famly stuff as he just looks like heck in them short shorts and tubtop wid he chest all shaved and that red wig all draped. gotta get used ter it, save fer the sardine cologne..
Mocker

Novato, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

I'm not going back and reading all the crap posted in this thread. I think mandating teaching gay/black/yellow/disabled history or whatever is ridiculous. Why do you have to develop a unique curriculum for every damn special interest group? Just teach history and include those that had a significant impact. Martin Luther King Jr., Harvey Milk, women....whomever. I think it's p.c. bullshit to carve out a certain amount of teaching time to satisfy some group of citizens. Just give the facts for each point in history and the contributions should be self evident.

“Post-religious”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

Mocker wrote:
I'm not going back and reading all the crap posted in this thread. I think mandating teaching gay/black/yellow/disabled history or whatever is ridiculous. Why do you have to develop a unique curriculum for every damn special interest group? Just teach history and include those that had a significant impact. Martin Luther King Jr., Harvey Milk, women....whomever. I think it's p.c. bullshit to carve out a certain amount of teaching time to satisfy some group of citizens. Just give the facts for each point in history and the contributions should be self evident.
Then you'll be happy to learn that the law doesn't require that schools "carve out a certain amount of teaching time" to satisfy anyone.

The law does just what you suggest; it allows local school districts to determine what will be taught and at what grades it will be taught. No specific historical person or historical event is mandated, and a "unique curriculum for every damn special interest group" is not required.

Many of us who have been teaching history in California high schools are already in compliance with the letter and spirit of the law. We teach history. And good history includes the important contributions that is reflective of a diverse state and nation, not merely the narrow point of view offered in textbooks 60 years ago. You're right -- it's self-evident!
Mocker

Novato, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Jerald wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you'll be happy to learn that the law doesn't require that schools "carve out a certain amount of teaching time" to satisfy anyone.
The law does just what you suggest; it allows local school districts to determine what will be taught and at what grades it will be taught. No specific historical person or historical event is mandated, and a "unique curriculum for every damn special interest group" is not required.
Many of us who have been teaching history in California high schools are already in compliance with the letter and spirit of the law. We teach history. And good history includes the important contributions that is reflective of a diverse state and nation, not merely the narrow point of view offered in textbooks 60 years ago. You're right -- it's self-evident!
The title of the thread/law is that there was a bill that would require public schools to include the contributions of gays and lesbians in social studies as a mandatory part of teaching history. How do you NOT view that as a curriculum requirement? Teach history as it happened. The good, the bad and the ugly. History is factual. It should be presented as it occurred without predjudice. Most logical people will draw the right conclusions.

“Post-religious”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

Mocker wrote:
<quoted text>
The title of the thread/law is that there was a bill that would require public schools to include the contributions of gays and lesbians in social studies as a mandatory part of teaching history. How do you NOT view that as a curriculum requirement? Teach history as it happened. The good, the bad and the ugly. History is factual. It should be presented as it occurred without predjudice. Most logical people will draw the right conclusions.
Just as you suggested in your first post, the significant contributions of all groups should be included in a survey history. The original law was written to ensure that history not be portrayed merely as the account of dead white men, but as diverse as this country truly is. This amendment to the law merely includes gay people and people with disabilities as part of the inclusive heritage of our nation's story. Certainly, somewhere in an entire K-12 curriculum, the contributions of gay people should be included, as are those of Blacks, women, etc. I include an expanded discussion of the several movements for civil rights in the post-WWII era -- for Blacks, women, Latinos, gays, Asians, etc.-- in my 11th grade US History course. Our history and government social science classes are required to include discussions of current events; clearly the current debates over DADT, DOMA, Prop 8, the Boy Scouts, etc. can be included for juniors and seniors in high school.

The law doesn't require any specific person or event be taught at any particular grade level -- it leaves it up to local schools and districts to decide how the curriculum is developed.

And by the way, history isn't just "factual". The study of history, by its very nature, is the interpretation of facts -- which "facts" to include or ignore, which to emphasize or diminish, which to dispute or reinterpret. It's much more than "just the facts, ma'am."

“Post-religious”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Mocker wrote:
<quoted text>
The title of the thread/law ...
Rather than just relying on the title in a Topix thread or an article, it might be helpful if you're going to comment on the law to actually have read it.
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/bill/sen/...

Since: Mar 07

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
Explain these scientific tests! And how would you know castration and electric shocks would not work?
Would castration and electric shocks cause you to only attracted to the same gender?

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
No, castration is ending all sexuality, including homosexuality that would come with it, while electric shocks would help change the way a gay views the same sex and wouldn't view them as strong and comforting, but view masculinity and masculine strength as a threat since electricity is also a threat but electric shocks are strong too! It could work, but it might not always work. It depends on whether the person who invented it was simply coming up with a torture method thinking it would drive homosexuality away, or an actual well thought out plan!
Research showed that castration does NOT "end all sexuality" ... not even hormonally. Other structures in the body generate the same hormones ans the primary gonadal structures;just isn lesser amounts.

Electroconvulsive treatments do not change anything either for gay people.

You really need to get out of your imagination and into reading actual data.

http://thetruthpursuit.com/society/society-bl...

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Kesla15 wrote:
I think that's a great idea. I never got taught about homosexuality in my school, and I believe students should be taught about it, at least when studying subjects such as history or civil rights, teachers need to at least brush on the subject.
Yes, but if it grow into a recruitment campaign, i might regret my support....sometimes people ask for an inch, but take a foot.....

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Well, that part would definitely leave you out wouldn't it?

Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
or an actual well thought out plan!

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
No, castration is ending all sexuality, including homosexuality that would come with it, while electric shocks would help change the way a gay views the same sex and wouldn't view them as strong and comforting, but view masculinity and masculine strength as a threat since electricity is also a threat but electric shocks are strong too! It could work, but it might not always work. It depends on whether the person who invented it was simply coming up with a torture method thinking it would drive homosexuality away, or an actual well thought out plan!
You are nuts.

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
Explain these scientific tests! And how would you know castration and electric shocks would not work?
Again, it has been tried and shown to not be effective. It was done in hospitals where records were kept on the experiments being done.

Again: "Scientifically rigorous older studies in this area found that sexual orientation was unlikely to change due to efforts designed for this purpose." (APA)

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
Show me the research. You don't know what they did.
Yes, we know what they did.

Other change efforts have continued up to today. They don't work.

You have been provided resources. If you don't trust the summaries from the APA, AMA, and others, I'm not going to waste any more time. Do your own homework. I read about this stuff 30 and 40 years ago.

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Not only do you have an ability to think you evidently can't read ether. They've been posted at least five times on here.

Idiot.
Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
Give me proof.

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Not my fault if you don't believe the best and most knowledgable. doctors and sociologists in the world. Your certainly not known for your great thinking ability.

Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
They weren't proof, fool!

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Attempting to communicate with you is like talking to a doorknob except a doorknob has better comprehension skills.
Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
Science is theories, child! And many scientists are christians, child!
Will Money

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Brenda Lee Johnson Wrote:

I guess it's just a consequence that every single organization Gay's have been affiliated with winds up in wide spread homosexual child molestation, all of them, ALL OF THEM! Millions and millions! Big Brother, The Boy Scouts, thousands of cases in The Boy Scouts, youth camps,sporting programs and especially sporting programs,Sandusky, Bernie Fine are the most prominent. The Catholic Church, thousands of boys molested by homosexual pedophiles.

Then we take a look at other countries where homosexuality where laws and restrictions have been relaxed and what do we see?

Gays boycotting to have the age for anal sex with boys lower to 14 and even 13. No, Gays are not pedophiles.The one thing I think we have demonstrated is what deceptive liars Gays are, The true bastions of evil.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

Same sex marriage would affect all gender segregated institutions; they would need to adapt to marriage and mating among their population. Same sex marriage would cause harm in prisons, if prison rape is already bad enough, imagine prison same sex marriage.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••