Teaching Gay History in California

Jul 9, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: EDGE

California lawmakers on Tuesday sent the governor a bill that would make the state the first requiring public schools to include the contributions of gays and lesbians in social studies curriculum.

Comments
6,401 - 6,420 of 12,516 Comments Last updated Sep 7, 2013

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2012

Judged:

We were married in a church in Maryland. Take it up with God. Meanwhile mind your own EFing business.
luv Sarah Palin wrote:
<quoted text>
You are not legally married . Not in Texas your not. You are simply playing house in a sad lost way.

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2012

Judged:

Thankfully you're one of a dying breed.
David wrote:
Children should be told very little about taboo subjects because we don't want to confuse them. If they have any questions, counselors can help them, but the classroom is for intellectual subjects.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2012

Judged:

Honest AbeL wrote:
Your knowledge on anti-miscegenation laws seems to miss the fact that they were criminal laws and do not apply to the discussion at hand. They were the only laws were your race could make you a criminal. This has no bearing on the rights to have restrictions on marriage and we have many.
<quoted text>
The penalties don't change the fact that antigay marriage laws and inter-racial marriage prohibitions prohibited the legal recognition of the marriage of two people who are otherwise qualified.

If you check this list, it compares the arguments against inter-racial marriage to the arguments against gay marriage equality. You will see, they are essentially the same arguments.

http://www.equalitygiving.org/files/Marriage-...
Buckwhite

Springfield, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2012

Judged:

If da mafkrs Bs ded den houw duz yall no dat dey Bs queerboys. Did anybuddy efer kech dem in bed wif a queerboy. Ahs donut think deys did. Yalls C wat ahs Bs sayin 2 yalls.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2012

Judged:

David wrote:
<quoted text>
The job of the school should not be to promote special interest groups by engineering classes designed especially for them. We are going to have black history, gay history, atheist history, Mexican history, Islamic history, Hindu history - and how many other histories - just because we need to protect the way certain groups are treated? No.
A course in world history should cover all of those things. This law does not require a course on gay history. It only requires that an honest accounting of history include the contributions of all of those groups. In the past, gay people have been purposefully made invisible.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2012

A question: How would you defend or explain to a school board the new Ca law requiring that teachers include the contributions of LBGT individuals? I want more than "because it is the law."

I will be in a position to do exactly that in a couple of weeks and am looking for additional ideas. I plan to include arguments about making schools safer for all.

Bigots, bible-quoters, and haters need not reply as I just scroll past your drivel anyway.

Thanks, in advance, for any help.

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2012

Judged:

That has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that Loving was a criminal charge based on race and not simply marriage envy
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
The penalties don't change the fact that antigay marriage laws and inter-racial marriage prohibitions prohibited the legal recognition of the marriage of two people who are otherwise qualified.
If you check this list, it compares the arguments against inter-racial marriage to the arguments against gay marriage equality. You will see, they are essentially the same arguments.
http://www.equalitygiving.org/files/Marriage-...

Since: Apr 11

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2012

Judged:

Ronald wrote:
<quoted text>
David.
You are right. According to the historical record:
"Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?" (Genesis 3:1)
"And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden:" (Genesis 3:2)
That's not history, stupid.
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2012

Judged:

Sergio23 wrote:
A question: How would you defend or explain to a school board the new Ca law requiring that teachers include the contributions of LBGT individuals? I want more than "because it is the law."
I will be in a position to do exactly that in a couple of weeks and am looking for additional ideas. I plan to include arguments about making schools safer for all.
Bigots, bible-quoters, and haters need not reply as I just scroll past your drivel anyway.
Sergio23.

If it were I, I would patiently explain to them that, with the expense of providing for millions of little "Black" babies who go to sleep hungry every night, the overburdened taxpayer minority simply cannot not afford the additional cost.

As you probably know, fat cat Government teachers are Government agents. As such, they hold the most overpaid taxpayer funded part time jobs in the entire nation.

My Homosexual friends and the lesbians often tell me that it is no biggie to supply innocent little children, and the girls, who are incarcerated in expensive taxpayer funded forced Government schools expensive taxpayer provided textbooks that extoll the benefits of Homosexuality as the free-spending out-of-control Homosexual/"Black" California legislature demands.

What my Homosexual friends and the lesbians overlook, though, is the cost of paying expensive Government agents as facilitators to indoctrinate positive feelings about "the Homosexual lifestyle" into the minds of those little children after they have read the expensive textbooks.

Source: http://goo.gl/Sy8SX

Source: http://goo.gl/ZCg8H

Source: http://goo.gl/rRgMl

Ronald

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2012

Judged:

luv Sarah Palin wrote:
<quoted text>
"YOUR tired old white male politicians crack some unfunny joke, and you will howl like it is open mic night at some popular comedy club. "
You call people like Eric Cantor old ? Not to mention countless new younger politicians courtesy of the Tea party.
If you mean Eric Cantor's physical age, no, he is not very old, but that puss on him looks like he is about 98 years old. Does he EVER not glower? You get the face you deserve by age 50, my mother used to say.

I can imagine YOUR face, tight creased lips, pale cold eyes, deep lines on either side of your mouth from your constant frown of disapproval, pale hair pulled back tightly, formless clothes, long skirts, flannel pajamas, skinny and ungenerous body, sensible car, beige, very beige.

“Post-religious”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2012

Judged:

Sergio23 wrote:
How about because it's just good scholarship to include contributions from a wide variety of people and groups to do a better job of more fully and completely describing a nation's history?

Existing law requires instruction in social sciences to include a study of the role and contributions of both men and women to the development of California and the United States. It also requires instruction in social sciences to include a study of the role and contributions of Native Americans, African Americans, Mexican Americans, Asian Americans, Pacific Islanders, European Americans, and other ethnic and cultural groups to the development of California and the United States. The new law merely adds the contributions of LGBT people as well as people with disabilities to that list.

My discussions with our principal, board members and our superintendent had little or nothing to do with "making schools safe." I don't teach 11th grade US history to make people feel good. It's not an encounter group. I teach history as an academic subject, one that is worthy of critical analysis and one that doesn't shy away from dealing with topics that may make some people uncomfortable.

As for the contributions of someone worthy of mention, I'm not going into Harvey Milk. I'm going to expand my old unit on the Civil Rights Movement (focusing on Black civil rights) to be a unit on Movements (plural) for Civil Rights. One of the movement leaders will be the late Frank Kameny.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/13/us/franklin...

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2012

Judged:

luv Sarah Palin wrote:
<quoted text>
You are not legally married . Not in Texas your not. You are simply playing house in a sad lost way.
Living together in love, commitment and mutual support is not "playing" anything. It's called "family".

Ceremonies and rituals and paperwork aside, it all comes down to that.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2012

Judged:

Jerald wrote:
<quoted text>
How about because it's just good scholarship to include contributions from a wide variety of people and groups to do a better job of more fully and completely describing a nation's history?
Existing law requires instruction in social sciences to include a study of the role and contributions of both men and women to the development of California and the United States. It also requires instruction in social sciences to include a study of the role and contributions of Native Americans, African Americans, Mexican Americans, Asian Americans, Pacific Islanders, European Americans, and other ethnic and cultural groups to the development of California and the United States. The new law merely adds the contributions of LGBT people as well as people with disabilities to that list.
My discussions with our principal, board members and our superintendent had little or nothing to do with "making schools safe." I don't teach 11th grade US history to make people feel good. It's not an encounter group. I teach history as an academic subject, one that is worthy of critical analysis and one that doesn't shy away from dealing with topics that may make some people uncomfortable.
As for the contributions of someone worthy of mention, I'm not going into Harvey Milk. I'm going to expand my old unit on the Civil Rights Movement (focusing on Black civil rights) to be a unit on Movements (plural) for Civil Rights. One of the movement leaders will be the late Frank Kameny.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/13/us/franklin...
Looks like you are a competent lesson planner.

“Stop the liberal madness”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2012

TomInElPaso wrote:
We were married in a church in Maryland. Take it up with God. Meanwhile mind your own EFing business.
<quoted text>
Lol but your not legally married in the lone star state , it is NOT recognized so boo hoo.

"Meanwhile mind your own EFing business"

What libs are up to is my business and whether you like it or not more and more agree with me.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2012

Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>If you mean Eric Cantor's physical age, no, he is not very old, but that puss on him looks like he is about 98 years old. Does he EVER not glower? You get the face you deserve by age 50, my mother used to say.
I can imagine YOUR face, tight creased lips, pale cold eyes, deep lines on either side of your mouth from your constant frown of disapproval, pale hair pulled back tightly, formless clothes, long skirts, flannel pajamas, skinny and ungenerous body, sensible car, beige, very beige.
"I can imagine YOUR face, tight creased lips, pale cold eyes, deep lines on either side of your mouth from your constant frown of disapproval, pale hair pulled back tightly, formless clothes, long skirts, flannel pajamas, skinny and ungenerous body, sensible car, beige, very beige. "

Lol that was good . Your a gifted writer and you are right on one account . My car is a sensible car and not beige but grey which is close as far as average goes.
I thought you libs liked sensible cars?
My husband has a new pick up which I also use.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2012

snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Living together in love, commitment and mutual support is not "playing" anything. It's called "family".
Ceremonies and rituals and paperwork aside, it all comes down to that.
That's nice dear. You and your ilk ,keep on telling each other that lol.

While we Christians "play" house for real.

Why don't you move to France and play house there ?

Oh wait you can't play even in Europe tsk tsk.

"France's law prohibiting gay marriage does not violate the constitution, the country's top constitutional watchdog ruled "

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/french-watchd...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2012

Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>If you mean Eric Cantor's physical age, no, he is not very old, but that puss on him looks like he is about 98 years old. Does he EVER not glower? You get the face you deserve by age 50, my mother used to say.
"If you mean Eric Cantor's physical age, no, he is not very old, but that puss on him looks like he is about 98 years old. Does he EVER not glower? You get the face you deserve by age 50, my mother used to say. "

I do agree with that.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nancy-Pelosi-an... #!/photo.php?fbid=130124982359 5&set=o.309925941570&t ype=3&theater
David

Temple, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2012

Judged:

Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
In the past, gay people have been purposefully made invisible.
Sex isn't supposed to be put in the public eye or flaunted. Let's keep it that way - invisible. The world doesn't need to know what you do sexually or how you feel about it.

“Crusading Fundies r hilarious!”

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2012

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>There is no gender equality rights in the Constitution, we have men's rooms and women's rooms but not separate facilities based on race.
Nor do we have seperate ones based on sexual orientation. This nonsense about gender is completely irrelevant.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>
There are no couples rights either; there is no law permitting same sex marriage before the 21st Century; so it doesn't deny a right or create an inequality.
Sorry dolt, but tradition is not a valid argument. Ask any woman that has voted in the last 60 years.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>
Homosexuals have always been able to marry under the same standards as everyone else.
This is the same argument as "whites have always been free to marry whites and blacks have always been free to marry blacks, therefore equality exists." SCOTUS has already shot this argument down you dolt.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>
Do speed limit laws deny rights to impatient people?
Idiotic statement. Impatience is a behavior. No one is discussing behaviors Brian_G_Moron.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>
Protecting marriage doesn't harm gays since every homosexual was born of heterosexual union.
What union someone comes from is irrelevant. That's like stating that the offsrping of two dwarfs can only marry another dwarf in order to protect marriage. Jeebus you're an idiot.

No one is "protecting" marriage, because marriage isn't in any danger from any of the ridiculous things you repeatedly bleat.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>
If you care about gays, keep marriage between husband and wife, so more will be born.
Gays don't prevent straight people from procreating, whether the gays are married or not. Oh, and please don't start sentences with "if you care about gays".....coming from you that's repugnant. You don't care about anythng other than your bigotry and yoru activist religious agenda.

“Crusading Fundies r hilarious!”

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2012

Judged:

Ronald wrote:
<quoted text>
David.
You are right. According to the historical record:
"Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God
(Blathering nonsense deleted for space)
Basic stuff.
Ronald
Ronald,
Your little bible is not historic record. And your little bible is not a teaching aid in the public school system. If you want this nonsense taught to children, encourage their parents to enroll them in a religious school that doesn't teach facts. The sane people don't want your nonsense in the tax payer funded school system.

Even more basic stuff.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••