Pasta maker to boost diversity after ...

Pasta maker to boost diversity after gay protest

There are 14 comments on the WINK-TV Fort Myers story from Nov 4, 2013, titled Pasta maker to boost diversity after gay protest. In it, WINK-TV Fort Myers reports that:

Italy-based pasta maker Barilla is pledging to improve diversity after protests were sparked by an executive's claim the company would never feature ads depicting gay families.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WINK-TV Fort Myers.

Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#1 Nov 4, 2013
I told you so!
Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-hahaha-hah a!!!!! ;o))
Pink
Money
Talks

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#2 Nov 4, 2013
We'll be watching for more inclusive ads. The comments require more than window-dressing.
david traversa

La Rioja, Argentina

#3 Nov 4, 2013
Reputedly , his father was a highly cultivated man who would have never been against sexual diversity and junior should have known better .. but better late than never , I guess ..

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#4 Nov 4, 2013
You KNOW it's going to make headlines if and when an inclusive ad for Barilla pasta gets released.

In a way, this dude's callous comments has given him a golden opportunity for billions of dollars worth of free advertising in the press--all he's got to do now is the right thing.

Not bad.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#5 Nov 4, 2013
Too late.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#6 Nov 4, 2013
eJohn wrote:
You KNOW it's going to make headlines if and when an inclusive ad for Barilla pasta gets released.
In a way, this dude's callous comments has given him a golden opportunity for billions of dollars worth of free advertising in the press--all he's got to do now is the right thing.
Not bad.
I think its going to get worse before it gets better. He has the money to amuse himself by abusing others (sadism)
He is going to pair a gay person with a handicapped person (like gay people are handicapped too/as well as handicapped people are all gay)
Watch the feather boas fly when that hits the airwaves!
tiqueboy

Morley, MI

#7 Nov 4, 2013
Sorry, too little, too late.

Not the only game in town....

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

#8 Nov 4, 2013
Xavier Breath wrote:
Too late.
Now, now. If we never give people the opportunity to change and be recognized for it, then why should we expect people to change?

I'm willing to be patient and see what he comes up with. You never know. People can learn.

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

#9 Nov 4, 2013
Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
I think its going to get worse before it gets better. He has the money to amuse himself by abusing others (sadism)
He is going to pair a gay person with a handicapped person (like gay people are handicapped too/as well as handicapped people are all gay)
Watch the feather boas fly when that hits the airwaves!
A person has to start somewhere, right? From what little I know about Italy, finding anyone that constitutes ANY minority is not going to be an easy task.

Give him some credit for at least trying something. Remember, not long ago, he apparently thought gay people were totally immaterial. Now he knows better. That doesn't mean he's on his way to being a crusader for GLBT equality, I'm not THAT naive.

But if we keep hammering and hammering at people that might be trying that they're not trying hard enough or getting results fast enough, we're shooting ourselves in the foot. Give him the room to do the right thing. He might surprise us.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#10 Nov 4, 2013
eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
A person has to start somewhere, right? From what little I know about Italy, finding anyone that constitutes ANY minority is not going to be an easy task.
Give him some credit for at least trying something. Remember, not long ago, he apparently thought gay people were totally immaterial. Now he knows better. That doesn't mean he's on his way to being a crusader for GLBT equality, I'm not THAT naive.
But if we keep hammering and hammering at people that might be trying that they're not trying hard enough or getting results fast enough, we're shooting ourselves in the foot. Give him the room to do the right thing. He might surprise us.
I hope so; sugar
Thanks for the pep talk ;o))
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#11 Nov 4, 2013
eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Now, now. If we never give people the opportunity to change and be recognized for it, then why should we expect people to change?
I'm willing to be patient and see what he comes up with. You never know. People can learn.
Yes, people can learn. They can learn that there are repercussions for what they say to the press. Slander and libel laws are rarely enforced, so hitting them in the wallet is the ONLY thing they understand.
Morris

Paris, France

#12 Nov 4, 2013
I refuse to buy anymore Barilla pasta.

They are officially on my boycott list.

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#13 Nov 4, 2013
Morris wrote:
I refuse to buy anymore Barilla pasta.
They are officially on my boycott list.
Huh, ain't that sumpin'?

I wonder why you lie so often and think anyone really believes any or your false lies and fake homelands? What good does your constant lying GET you? Is it fun? Exciting? A challenge? What does it get you? Why?

Or, prove me wrong, and just say ONE word, the one I have asked, what can one buy on the Quai Saint Michael? It is so easy and any Parisian could tell me in one word. I guess I caught you in yet another LIE, little cowardly liar.

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

#14 Nov 6, 2013
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, people can learn. They can learn that there are repercussions for what they say to the press. Slander and libel laws are rarely enforced, so hitting them in the wallet is the ONLY thing they understand.
True! But we still need to keep an eye out and wait and see..... It's going to be really important to support his actions with positive response if he shows signs of improving his attitude.

Best case scenario, if he DOES start running inclusive advertising, and his sales improve as a result, other businesses will notice.

So if he *does* start running inclusive advertising, we WANT his sales to go up as a result. So we DO need to pay attention and act accordingly.

The worst thing would be if he starts running inclusive advertising, and his sales continue to decline. That would reinforce that he was right the first time and that he should just ignore us. Not good.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Men Kissing to Fight Anti-Gay HateBy Samant... 4 min Tre H 15
News Excited by Trump, gay Republicans struggle with... 5 min Frankie Rizzo 236
Why Are We Being Forced To Accept Homosexuality? (Feb '12) 40 min Tre H 918
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 52 min Buddha 38,655
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 1 hr Cletus 68,803
News A man has just proved that playing Pok mo... 1 hr Shirvell s Shrivel 2
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 1 hr who cares 15,032
More from around the web