Stunner: Sen. Rob Portman backs same-...

Stunner: Sen. Rob Portman backs same-sex marriage

There are 243 comments on the cbsnews.com story from Mar 15, 2013, titled Stunner: Sen. Rob Portman backs same-sex marriage. In it, cbsnews.com reports that:

The Ohio Republican informed reporters from several newspapers in his home state of his reversal, which The Columbus Dispatch calls "stunning." Portman told The Cincinnati Enquirer his evolution on the subject began in 2011 when his son, Will, then a freshman at Yale University, told his parents he was gay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at cbsnews.com.

Thats Right

Alexandria, VA

#251 Mar 18, 2013
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>Not in the state where a gay couple is legally married.

And, really, do you believe that federal recognition of LEGAL same sex marriage will never happen?

Laughing won't change the facts.

When that happens, then you'll have an argument

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#252 Mar 18, 2013
Thats Right wrote:
<quoted text>
You've already proved it dumb a.ss. Not recognized or legal where ever you go, plus no spousal benefits. Get over it.
yes, the legal contract of marriege is mde legal by the state.

and some states do recognize other states SSMs...

welcome to the 21st century. your kids will be calling you by your rightful name within your own lifetime...
Thats Right

Alexandria, VA

#253 Mar 18, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>yes, the legal contract of marriege is mde legal by the state.

and some states do recognize other states SSMs...

welcome to the 21st century. your kids will be calling you by your rightful name within your own lifetime...
Delusional Queers. You're so damn stupid, you deserve anything you get.
Thats Right

Alexandria, VA

#254 Mar 18, 2013
The Worlds Biggest Lie wrote:
<quoted text>BUWAHAHAHAHA!!! There's another lie from one of topixes biggest lying sacks of chit! You NEVER came to this state to marry. And even if you did your own state of Michigan doesn't even recognize it. Every week you freakin fill this board full of vile chit and lies from your mouth. Just like you say you have a family and that you serveD in the military. You are a FRAUD and you shouldn't even be allowed to post on the internet PERIOD! You, along with this ZIONIST owned govt are out on a disinformation campaign and are out to poison our youth. You are a PIG! DO YOU FEEL ME SHEEP? A LYING SUBVERSIVE DECADENT PIG THAT SHOULD BE INSTITUTIONALIZED!
Nice post, thanks for sharing.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#257 Mar 19, 2013
Thats Right wrote:
<quoted text>
You already have the same rights I have, you filthy a.ss queer. Just because you're SPECIAL ( being a retard ) doesn't give you the right to have special rights.
Special, special, special, special, special..... Get some new material. Start with an education.

St. Croix valley

#258 Mar 19, 2013
<quoted text>
They are and have been destroying this nation for a long long time. With an out of control money wheel, our undying love for a sliver of land in some far off desert, we are in deep chit. Our govt is insane and so far out of touch with reality they don't even care because they have it all.
Good luck to you, we're gonna need it.
Peace.
Ahhh....yeah, sure. Its our Gov't that's insane...sure...that's it! nice cucckoo. just look this way...don't mind the men with the nets and hypos....good cuckoo bird....

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#261 Mar 19, 2013
Thats Right wrote:
<quoted text>
HaHaHaHa You're not really married. Just something to appease you by your state. If you were in fact legally married, it would be recognized anywhere and everywhere you go, but it's not. If it was legal, you would receive spousal benefits, but you don't. So claim all you want about being legally married, but in fact it's just a farce.
In fact I do receive spousal benefits in 11 states, with more to come.

Federal recognition will come in Jun.

Be patient; maybe one day you'll find someone willing to marry you...

Tawas City, Michigan

#262 Mar 19, 2013
<quoted text>
BUWAHAHAHAHA!!! There's another lie from one of topixes biggest lying sacks of chit! You NEVER came to this state to marry. And even if you did your own state of Michigan doesn't even recognize it. Every week you freakin fill this board full of vile chit and lies from your mouth. Just like you say you have a family and that you serveD in the military. You are a FRAUD and you shouldn't even be allowed to post on the internet PERIOD! You, along with this ZIONIST owned govt are out on a disinformation campaign and are out to poison our youth. You are a PIG! DO YOU FEEL ME SHEEP? A LYING SUBVERSIVE DECADENT PIG THAT SHOULD BE INSTITUTIONALIZED!
As long as I continue to irritate you, I know I'm doing my job.

Suck it beyatch!

St. Croix valley

#263 Mar 19, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
In fact I do receive spousal benefits in 11 states, with more to come.
Federal recognition will come in Jun.
Be patient; maybe one day you'll find someone willing to marry you...
i don't know...i've heard some serious horror stories about those mail order bride sites...

St. Croix valley

#264 Mar 19, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Suck it beyatch!
Oh jeez...I think he just nutted right there...

don't play into his fantasies...

“JESUS WOULD IMPEACH THE GOP!!!”

Since: May 09

Lake Success, N.Y.

#267 Mar 19, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>i don't know...i've heard some serious horror stories about those mail order bride sites...
That's only if you have a PO box.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#268 Mar 19, 2013
NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
I see you FAGG@TS are still denying the truth. I would expect nothing less from you Queers.
Just like you keep denying you are fascinated with butt sex...... so curious... month after month of posts..... yeah, you're not gay, are you?
NoQ

Alexandria, VA

#269 Mar 19, 2013
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>Just like you keep denying you are fascinated with butt sex...... so curious... month after month of posts..... yeah, you're not gay, are you?
That's right FAGG@T, I'm not a Queer. You on the other hand is hard to figure out. A FAGG@T, most generally with a woman's name, and sometimes list what you eat in your name, like Doo Doo. Strange creature you are

Tawas City, Michigan

#272 Mar 20, 2013
Bluntforce wrote:
<quoted text>I hope you get your rump ranger nuptials blessed by the Obama Regime pretty soon. With you sweet boys life expectancy about half of us normal folks, you won't have much time for bliss. Aw shucks.....
No worries. Based on our family genetics & lifestyle history (HIV negative, non-smokers, non-drinkers, ideal weight, regular exercise, low meat & high veggie diet) both my husband & I have a life expectancy of 90+.

But thanks for your concern.....

Tawas City, Michigan

#278 Mar 21, 2013
Bluntforce wrote:
<quoted text>As long as you're not sodomizing each other, you should be fine. Just remember to wash the carrot before ingesting.
You too!
adif understanding

Lancaster, OH

#283 Mar 23, 2013
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
You might want to do a little research on that claim.
I don't need to do any research, there are no rights they are claiming they want that is not an extra right or protection in addition to all that everyone else have.

I'm sure if you knew of one, you would have listed it.
adif understanding

Lancaster, OH

#284 Mar 23, 2013
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh? We're asking for the same right you have, to marry the person we love.
Love has nothing to do with marriage. If it did, hald the people who get married wouldn't be allowed to and the divorce rates would be a lot lower. You will not find one law on the books that say anything about love as a prerequisite of marriage.

As of right now, anyone in all states can marry someone of the opposite sex for any reason they personally choose as long as they both are of legal age, sound mind, and consenting.
ah yup

United States

#285 Mar 24, 2013
adif understanding wrote:
<quoted text>Love has nothing to do with marriage. If it did, hald the people who get married wouldn't be allowed to and the divorce rates would be a lot lower. You will not find one law on the books that say anything about love as a prerequisite of marriage.
As of right now, anyone in all states can marry someone of the opposite sex for any reason they personally choose as long as they both are of legal age, sound mind, and consenting.
That's all good and fine..People should also have the right to choose their next of kin, no matter what you call it.. Marrage is simply choosing someone as your next of kin..Someone to share your life, share decisions and make end of life of decisions including a sharing of wealth and benifits given to anybody making that same next of kin choice... Who cares what it is called..Marriage is a conspolidation of two, or more lives that demands the respect of that decision.
adif understanding

Lancaster, OH

#286 Mar 24, 2013
ah yup wrote:
<quoted text>That's all good and fine..People should also have the right to choose their next of kin, no matter what you call it.. Marrage is simply choosing someone as your next of kin..Someone to share your life, share decisions and make end of life of decisions including a sharing of wealth and benifits given to anybody making that same next of kin choice... Who cares what it is called..Marriage is a conspolidation of two, or more lives that demands the respect of that decision.
No, next of kin is generally defined by law and is used in a legal process to determine ownership of property and guardianship of juveniles. It typically is blood based by first choice then marital based. For instance, if you had a kid and the mother died during birth then you remarried, your next of kin in most states would be your kid, and guardianship would go to either one of your parents, one of your siblings, one of the dead mother's parents, then to your now wife if they were unable or unwilling to take guardianship of the child.

Marriage is a legal concept born out of a religious concept specifically to determine the disposition of property and offspring legally. When the state took over, there was a concept called common law marriage which stated that after being together as husband and wife for a period of time although not legally recognized by the state or a church, you were in effect legally married. But almost all states have gotten rid of that.

Now everything that is accomplished by marriage can be accomplished by legal doctrine. Disposition of property can be accomplished by last will and testaments, quit deeds and upon death deeds and or contracts. Medical privilege can be accomplished by designating the significant other as the medical power of attorney and a few other things. Guardianship of children can be accomplished by adoption and/or a will with agreements. What cannot be accomplished in this way is tax breaks for asset inheritance and other government handouts to married people. In fact, one of the two court cases in front of the supreme court right now is because a foreigner who married outside of the US but now lives here doesn't want to pay taxes on an inheritance.

Love has nothing to do with it. It's all about the benefits and extras from the government. Next of kin is a government function and it is the right of the government to determine it.
Linda

Elyria, OH

#287 Mar 24, 2013
Melvin wrote:
WTF, His son turns queer and now he supports same-sex marriage, I say vote the gaytard out of office!!!
Yep. Just another person in goverment flip flopping on issues.They will say anything to TRY to stay in office.He just lost my vote!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Supreme Court extends gay marriage nationwide 4 min Hello 344
News Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? (Sep '14) 4 min Reverend Alan 6,928
News Religious liberty is rallying cry after gay mar... 6 min Ravianna 62
News Jon Stewart Mocks Critics of the Supreme Court'... 6 min Go Blue Forever 3
News Mormon church backs Utah LGBT anti-discriminati... 9 min tongangodz 5,135
News Can same-sex marriage make America healthier? 9 min Rainbow Kid 12
News Conservative Republicans question what's next a... 12 min Your Ex 75
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 24 min Wondering 22,739
News Governors vow to fight SCOTUS ruling on gay mar... 39 min Billy Ringo 393
News Texas Attorney General: Clerks Can Reject Gay M... 45 min Wondering 33
More from around the web