‘Cowboy Church’ Claims to Cure Gays b...

‘Cowboy Church’ Claims to Cure Gays by Making Them Stroke Horses

There are 64 comments on the gaystarnews.com story from Dec 23, 2012, titled ‘Cowboy Church’ Claims to Cure Gays by Making Them Stroke Horses. In it, gaystarnews.com reports that:

Pastor 'cures' gay teens by getting them to stroke horses

The Cowboy Church of Virginia, led by chief pastor Raymond Bell, believes homosexuality and other ‘addictions’ can be cured by Equine Assisted Psychotherapy. Horse therapy, in the right hands, can be used to help overcome fears, develop communication skills, and is generally beneficial to mental health.

But Bell says the horses in his church, a cowboy ranch in the south, are part of teaching men to stop being gay and encourage them to be more masculine. ‘EAP can help any person who is living the homosexual lifestyle or involved in it in anyway,’ he told Gay Star News.

‘The first common misconception is that homosexuality is genetic, or hereditary, or as some say “born this way”. ‘Homosexuality is actually a type of addiction. It is not “curable” as a disease because it is a “choice driven” by the person.’ Bell said he uses EAP to identify how a person got ‘involved’ in homosexuality to begin with.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at gaystarnews.com.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: May 12

Livonia, MI

#1 Dec 23, 2012
I've known a few guys that were hung like horses, and stroking was part of the conversation. But it did nothing to "cure" me of my homosexuality – actually verrrrrrrrry far from it. Go cowboy!!

What an idiot, thinking stroking horses will "cure" homosexuality. There's nothing to cure. As the saying goes, we're here, we're queer, get the fuck used to it.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#2 Dec 23, 2012
DragonHung wrote:
I've known a few guys that were hung like horses, and stroking was part of the conversation. But it did nothing to "cure" me of my homosexuality – actually verrrrrrrrry far from it. Go cowboy!!
What an idiot, thinking stroking horses will "cure" homosexuality. There's nothing to cure. As the saying goes, we're here, we're queer, get the fuck used to it.
I was gonna say something along the same lines.

LOL
Neil Abercrombie

Dallas, TX

#3 Dec 23, 2012
"Cured"? Of what?
REV SCOTT E WARE

Palmdale, CA

#4 Dec 23, 2012
I am a nondenominational minister with love for all people as Jesus says we should be. Having a divine heart full of unconstitutional love for all humans on every continent of this planet. Judgement is not for any human to say your wrong for being different.Love and acceptance is what we all need as a human race. Our social society makes people of many forms and aspects of this life and if we condemn one we condemn ourselves each heart that JESUS has placed inside of each person to life on this planet is GOLDEN and pure at birth. Then humans corrupt nature influences our children into thinking life is just not that important. Our global understanding has to change for the betterment of all people to have peace in there hearts. Check out more on my YouTube and twitter account at REV Scott E Ware. GOD BLESSES ALL WITH UNDERSTANDING AND LOVE.BE THE LOVE WE ALL NEED.
REV SCOTT E WARE

Palmdale, CA

#5 Dec 23, 2012
I am a nondenominational GAY minister with love for all people as Jesus says we should be. Having a divine heart full of unconstitutional love for all humans on every continent of this planet. Judgement is not for any human to say your wrong for being different.Love and acceptance is what we all need as a human race. Our social society makes people of many forms and aspects of this life and if we condemn one we condemn ourselves each heart that JESUS has placed inside of each person to life on this planet is GOLDEN and pure at birth. Then humans corrupt nature influences our children into thinking life is just not that important. Our global understanding has to change for the betterment of all people to have peace in there hearts. Check out more on my YouTube and twitter account at REV Scott E Ware. GOD BLESSES ALL WITH UNDERSTANDING AND LOVE.BE THE LOVE WE ALL NEED.

“What Goes Around, Comes Around”

Since: Mar 07

Kansas City, MO.

#6 Dec 23, 2012
Sounds like horse sh!t to me. Besides I'm scared of horses. NOW........deal with that one. LOL
SLIF

Brampton, Canada

#7 Dec 23, 2012
Horses smell.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#8 Dec 23, 2012
So once he finally got my pants off he said, "Oh my God ! You aint stickin that huge thing in me !"

And then he left.
And that ended our date.

:(
SLIF

Brampton, Canada

#10 Dec 23, 2012
They are only talking about males,it figures.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#11 Dec 23, 2012
American Academy of Pediatrics: The terms reparative therapy and sexual orientation conversion therapy refer to counseling and psychotherapy aimed at eliminating or suppressing homosexuality. The most important fact about these “therapies” is that they are based on a view of homosexuality that has been rejected by all the major mental health professions. The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders,6 published by the American Psychiatric Association, which defines the standards of the field, does not include homosexuality. All other major health professional organizations have supported the American Psychiatric Association in its declassification of homosexuality as a mental disorder in 1973. Thus, the idea that homosexuality is a mental disorder or that the emergence of same-sex attraction and orientation
among some adolescents is in any way abnormal or mentally unhealthy has no support among any mainstream health and mental health professional organizations.

Despite the general consensus of major medical, health, and mental health professions that both heterosexuality and homosexuality are normal expressions of human sexuality, efforts to change sexual orientation through therapy have been adopted by some political and religious organizations and aggressively promoted to the public. However, such efforts have serious potential to harm young people because they present the view that the sexual orientation of lesbian, gay, and bisexual youth is a mental illness or disorder, and they often frame the inability to change one’s sexual orientation as a personal and moral failure.

Because of the aggressive promotion of efforts to change sexual orientation through therapy, a number of medical, health, and mental health professional organizations have issued public statements about the dangers of this approach. The American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Counseling Association, the American Psychiatric Association, the American Psychological Association, the American School Counselor Association, the National Association of School Psychologists, and the National Association of Social Workers, together representing more than 480,000 mental health professionals, have all taken the position that homosexuality is not a mental disorder and thus is not something that needs to or can be “cured.”

The American Academy of Pediatrics advises youth that counseling may be helpful for you if you feel confused about your sexual identity. Avoid any treatments that claim to be able to change a person’s sexual orientation, or treatment ideas that see homosexuality as a sickness.
Just the Facts About Sexual Orientation and Youth [APP]

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#12 Dec 23, 2012
Not Yet Equal wrote:
American Academy of Pediatrics: The terms reparative therapy and sexual orientation conversion therapy refer to counseling and psychotherapy aimed at eliminating or suppressing homosexuality. The most important fact about these “therapies” is that they are based on a view of homosexuality that has been rejected by all the major mental health professions. The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders,6 published by the American Psychiatric Association, which defines the standards of the field, does not include homosexuality. All other major health professional organizations have supported the American Psychiatric Association in its declassification of homosexuality as a mental disorder in 1973. Thus, the idea that homosexuality is a mental disorder or that the emergence of same-sex attraction and orientation
among some adolescents is in any way abnormal or mentally unhealthy has no support among any mainstream health and mental health professional organizations.
Despite the general consensus of major medical, health, and mental health professions that both heterosexuality and homosexuality are normal expressions of human sexuality, efforts to change sexual orientation through therapy have been adopted by some political and religious organizations and aggressively promoted to the public. However, such efforts have serious potential to harm young people because they present the view that the sexual orientation of lesbian, gay, and bisexual youth is a mental illness or disorder, and they often frame the inability to change one’s sexual orientation as a personal and moral failure.
Because of the aggressive promotion of efforts to change sexual orientation through therapy, a number of medical, health, and mental health professional organizations have issued public statements about the dangers of this approach. The American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Counseling Association, the American Psychiatric Association, the American Psychological Association, the American School Counselor Association, the National Association of School Psychologists, and the National Association of Social Workers, together representing more than 480,000 mental health professionals, have all taken the position that homosexuality is not a mental disorder and thus is not something that needs to or can be “cured.”
The American Academy of Pediatrics advises youth that counseling may be helpful for you if you feel confused about your sexual identity. Avoid any treatments that claim to be able to change a person’s sexual orientation, or treatment ideas that see homosexuality as a sickness.
Just the Facts About Sexual Orientation and Youth [APP]
And homosexuality is FUN !:)

(You forgot to add that most important part !)

“Live and let live”

Since: Apr 08

New Orleans

#13 Dec 23, 2012
That is just dumb as whale sh!t...

“Petite twink, barely legal”

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#14 Dec 23, 2012
I like cowboys! But I think that an aroused horse would be very dangerous. But I'd happily stroke a cowboy... but I doubt it would "cure" me of enjoying it, especially if the cowboy enjoys it!

“What Goes Around, Comes Around”

Since: Mar 07

Kansas City, MO.

#15 Dec 23, 2012
Tiny Timmie wrote:
I like cowboys! But I think that an aroused horse would be very dangerous. But I'd happily stroke a cowboy... but I doubt it would "cure" me of enjoying it, especially if the cowboy enjoys it!
Ya, like the song goes..........save a horse, ride a cowboy' LOL

Religionthebigli e

“saved From jesus”

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#16 Dec 23, 2012
Another pastor who wants to be alone with teenage boys.... to "cure" them. Sure, I'll buy that.

Since: Feb 09

Southern California

#17 Dec 23, 2012
So the horse is some magical unicorn ?
david traversa

Corrientes, Argentina

#18 Dec 23, 2012
Only if you think of "masculinity" as a sort of empty bravado with no reality and no depth.. But maybe that's all they can hope for in Virginia lately.. A horse would probably officiate just as well (or better) in this so-called church..
SLIF

Brampton, Canada

#22 Dec 23, 2012
Does this cowboy church only work at midnight?

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#23 Dec 23, 2012
What is truly sad, is that despite the absurdity of this, there are going to be gay men who are lost and hurting and who will imagine that this clown has the answer that they've been looking for only to leave even more lost and hurting than they were before. Jesus, save us from some of your Christians.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#25 Dec 23, 2012
Rickys Dog Is Str8 wrote:
Well Ricky at least now you finally admit you need help be it from a horse or a donkey. Good luck!
http://therapists.psychologyto day.com/rms/prof_results.php?c ity=Northampton&county=Ham pshire&state=MA&spec=1 72

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sanders: Don't blame Islam for Orlando shooting 8 min Ismail 917
Party 9 min Uncle Remus 11
At what age did you turn queer? 11 min Harold 1
News Columbus veteran, ousted for sexual orientation... 18 min Duke for Mayor 10
What happened two the NE Jade apology thread? 23 min Big Frankie Fan 14
News The Latest: Celebrities record tribute to night... 29 min Fundies R Mentall... 7
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 38 min Frankie Rizzo 13,162
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 1 hr EdmondWA 37,397
News Obama: Notion that being armed would have saved... 1 hr serfs up 988
More from around the web