Since: Aug 07

United States

#1 Oct 1, 2007
I donít normally traffic in moral absolutes; but is the closet ever OK? Is secretly going though your day as something more than exclusively hetero and less than proudly homo defensible? If we draw a line in the sand that some refuse to cross, should we give a little push because an out & proud life would be better for them (and, more importantly, for us)?

Full Story: http://www.edgeboston.com/index.php...

“I will not go quietly.”

Since: Feb 07

Indianapolis Indiana

#2 Oct 1, 2007
"Signorile believes that "When it comes to being open and out, the first priority has to be safety - particularly with young people."
Frankly I do not believe that simply being a celebrity takes away a person's right to privacy. The only time in which I advocate outing is in which a persons actions and private life are diametrically opposed. If a person is a Evangelical Priest that preaches homosexuality is a "sin" yet plays with other men on the side, he needs to be outed. If a person is a Public Representative(from local to federal level) who consistently vote's against Gays and Lesbian interests yet has a "boyfriend/girlfriend " on the side, they need to be outed. Hypocrisy should not be tolerated.

“Author in search of a niche”

Since: Jul 07

Dallas, TX

#3 Oct 1, 2007
Pagan and Proud wrote:
"Signorile believes that "When it comes to being open and out, the first priority has to be safety - particularly with young people."
Frankly I do not believe that simply being a celebrity takes away a person's right to privacy. The only time in which I advocate outing is in which a persons actions and private life are diametrically opposed. If a person is a Evangelical Priest that preaches homosexuality is a "sin" yet plays with other men on the side, he needs to be outed. If a person is a Public Representative(from local to federal level) who consistently vote's against Gays and Lesbian interests yet has a "boyfriend/girlfriend " on the side, they need to be outed. Hypocrisy should not be tolerated.
Absolutely agree, P&P. Coming out is a personal matter, with lots of variables. No one can know the dynamics of another person's situation--their emotional support, etc. No one should make that decision for them.(i.e., outing)

But there are times when it's a moral imperative...as in the cases you mentioned and as I've said on this board on other occasions as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Same-Sex Marriage Trumps Religious Liberty in N... (Aug '13) 2 min Yankee Yahoo 961
Frankie Rizzo WE MISS YOU!!! 4 min Die Hard Arkie 5
Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 5 min lides 8,134
Gay marriage (Mar '13) 6 min truth to power 57,033
Catholic Church Waging War on Women and Gays (Oct '07) 9 min Tre H 219,849
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 10 min Belle Sexton 29,074
Analysis: Equal rights or statesa rights on gay... 13 min Wondering 232
GOP hopefuls weigh in on gay marriage 18 min Marvin 57
Ben Carson Warns Gay Couples Against Pushing Ba... 30 min Marvin 27
Evangelicals to Gays: We Have Nothing For You |... (Mar '10) 2 hr janeebee 18,829
More from around the web