Out of the closet - the new martyrs

Out of the closet - the new martyrs

There are 10 comments on the www.ft.com story from Jul 15, 2013, titled Out of the closet - the new martyrs. In it, www.ft.com reports that:

Mourning a lost England, opponents of gay marriage develop a martyrdom myth and see themselves as victims of political correctness

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.ft.com.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#1 Jul 15, 2013
As always, the religionists are fighting for the prerogative to define terms and to gain control of the narrative.

Take a close look, brothers and sisters.

You are seeing the force that in the past wrote the history that you learned.

Start unlearning ... fast.

Since: Sep 10

Earth

#2 Jul 15, 2013
"Martyrs"?

A martyr is someone who dies for a cause, or is murdered for being part of that cause. And the only people being murdered in this case are gay people, the ones who want to be married.

I've never heard of a single case of an organized group of gay people murdering someone for being straight and married. You might hear a fiction on an extremist rightwingnut website, but not even the corporate rightwing media purports that fiction.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#3 Jul 15, 2013
snyper wrote:
As always, the religionists are fighting for the prerogative to define terms and to gain control of the narrative.
Take a close look, brothers and sisters.
You are seeing the force that in the past wrote the history that you learned.
Start unlearning ... fast.
Yup. Look at what these people are still causing in Ireland, Russia, Georgia and so many other places.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#4 Jul 15, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Yup. Look at what these people are still causing in Ireland, Russia, Georgia and so many other places.
Precisely.

Put a whole new color on the run-up years to Constantine, and the purported persecutions by the Romans, eh?

Ever think it might have been at least partly because some were a bunch of troublemaking arsehats?

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#5 Jul 15, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Precisely.
Put a whole new color on the run-up years to Constantine, and the purported persecutions by the Romans, eh?
Ever think it might have been at least partly because some were a bunch of troublemaking arsehats?
Yes. But I also credit Paul's use of political correctness.

As you have probably seen I have been posting scripture from his various epistles that contradict what he said in other epistles.

Guess those who believe his writings came directly from God haven't really compared all the discrepancies. Either that or their God has trouble remembering what He said each time.

I don't know about you but I'll pass on their heaven. Seems strange that as a reward for doing all the things they say I need to do God will send me to a place full of people who hated me.

“We are all atheists”

Since: May 11

Rehoboth Beach, DE

#6 Jul 16, 2013
Gotta hand it to Mr. Shrimsley - an English version of a scolding to those who are now claiming persecution for being anti-gay. He gave me some smiles.

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#7 Jul 16, 2013
The phrase "mourning a lost England" reminds one of T. S. Eliot and the reactionism that ocurred almost 100 years ago after the "Great War."

Plus ca change...
Brian

Attleboro, MA

#8 Jul 16, 2013
"Thus the people who actually enjoy most privilege in society – white, male Christians – engage in victim envy, convincing themselves that, in losing some privileges, they are in fact the ones being discriminated against."

That pretty much sums it up. They have 'victim envy'

Wait until they see their kind being dragged out of churches and beaten to death, then I might believe them.

“We are all atheists”

Since: May 11

Rehoboth Beach, DE

#9 Jul 16, 2013
Brian wrote:
"Thus the people who actually enjoy most privilege in society – white, male Christians – engage in victim envy, convincing themselves that, in losing some privileges, they are in fact the ones being discriminated against."
That pretty much sums it up. They have 'victim envy'
Wait until they see their kind being dragged out of churches and beaten to death, then I might believe them.
"Victim envy" - love it!

I can't help but wonder how many of the poor, victimized christianists have a fantasy life that revolves around being tortured for jeebus. Frankly (shamefully) it was one of my deepest fantasies as a youngster (and Christian), so I can't help but think it's probably common to other people, too.

Unfortunately for them, the refusal to sell a cake, or being charged with a civil rights violation, just doesn't have the resonance of the actual torture that many have heaped upon gays in the past.

And now, I've recently read that the actual, physical persecution of Christians (e.g. eaten by lions in the Coliseum) may have been made up, too!
Brian

Attleboro, MA

#10 Jul 16, 2013
qwerty26 wrote:
<quoted text>
"Victim envy" - love it!
I can't help but wonder how many of the poor, victimized christianists have a fantasy life that revolves around being tortured for jeebus. Frankly (shamefully) it was one of my deepest fantasies as a youngster (and Christian), so I can't help but think it's probably common to other people, too.
Unfortunately for them, the refusal to sell a cake, or being charged with a civil rights violation, just doesn't have the resonance of the actual torture that many have heaped upon gays in the past.
And now, I've recently read that the actual, physical persecution of Christians (e.g. eaten by lions in the Coliseum) may have been made up, too!
Really, I bet they were in a room with a couple of black cats. That's probably where the story morphed from.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sanders: Don't blame Islam for Orlando shooting 1 hr Dump Drumpf 712
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 2 hr Barbi A 201,865
News Obama: Notion that being armed would have saved... 3 hr Frankie Rizzo 945
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 3 hr Frankie Rizzo 68,797
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 3 hr here 37,319
News Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 4 hr toabhah 36,047
2016 NOM DC March for Marriage FAIL 4 hr Mr Rogers 7
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 6 hr An NFL Fan 13,057
More from around the web