Gay couples in Maine poised for first weddings

Dec 28, 2012 Full story: WSFA-TV Montgomery 22

Chris Kast and Byron Bartlett already consider themselves married after a 2010 ceremony overlooking Portland Harbor, but now they're doing it all over again - planning to be among the first to get a marriage license when Maine's same-sex marriage law goes into effect at midnight.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#1 Dec 28, 2012
Another battle won
Here's the score:
http://makeitequal.org/

“What Goes Around, Comes Around”

Since: Mar 07

Kansas City, MO.

#3 Dec 28, 2012
The Worlds Biggest Lie wrote:
Only a zionist poofter would care more about fanny packing than asking how or why building #7 would come crashing down on 9/11.
That's what the zionists want, Americans distracted by poofters and the disgusting subversion they bring.
There will come a day
The irony.....that last part of the last sentence is very telling of YOU. Too funny!

DNF

“Religious Freedom to Marry”

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#4 Dec 28, 2012
I urge every gay and lesbian couple in Maine and elsewhere to do research on what businesses have declared they will not serve us.

Then instead of boycotting them do what blacks did in the 60's with their lunch counter sit-ins.
Book a time slot with them and wait a day or two before your event. Then inform them you are a gay or lesbian group.

If your State has Public Accommodation laws that prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation, you can really hurt them financially and probably even more than a boycott would do.

Not only do they lose money for that time slot they'd face criminal sanctions and fines!

Let's see just who these so called Christians REALLY worship. Their "God's Laws" or the almighty dollar!

A lot of churches are now seeing that gay discrimination affects their bottom line. Let's teach the private sector the same lesson.
mainelygay

Portland, ME

#5 Dec 28, 2012
Headed down to City Hall this evening. Not planning to get married tonight but want to go and cheer on friends who want to be the first in the state!

Cold here tonight but I'm guessing there will still be a big turnout.(Those not actually seeking a marriage license tonight will have to be in the plaza outside). Portland and Falmouth are the only two towns I know of that are opening up at midnight tonight. A hand full of other towns will have special weekend hours tomorrow.

Thanks to all who help get the passed! I knew Maine could do it!

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#6 Dec 28, 2012
I'm glad you're heading to Portland to cheer on the happy couples. We talked about driving over. It should be a good time in Portland tonight! I remember how happy everyone was on election night--even before the votes were counted.

Congratulations, Maineacs!

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#8 Dec 28, 2012
Rainbow Kid wrote:
Another battle won
Here's the score:
http://makeitequal.org/
Every time we love ourselves enough to love another, the battle is won.

This is GREAT !!

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#9 Dec 29, 2012
<quoted text>
Keep stereotyping yourself bro. Oh, you keep talking about blacks and conveniently forget most of them are actually against homosexual acts.
The Rev Bill Owens says high. The same Rev Owens that said Obama sold out as Judas did for 30 sheckels. The same Rev Owens that actually marched in the civil rights movement.
Lots of people marched. So did Coretta Scott King. So did Bayard Rustin. So did my mother. You?

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#10 Dec 29, 2012
DNF wrote:
I urge every gay and lesbian couple in Maine and elsewhere to do research on what businesses have declared they will not serve us.
Then instead of boycotting them do what blacks did in the 60's with their lunch counter sit-ins.
Book a time slot with them and wait a day or two before your event. Then inform them you are a gay or lesbian group.
If your State has Public Accommodation laws that prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation, you can really hurt them financially and probably even more than a boycott would do.
Not only do they lose money for that time slot they'd face criminal sanctions and fines!
Let's see just who these so called Christians REALLY worship. Their "God's Laws" or the almighty dollar!
A lot of churches are now seeing that gay discrimination affects their bottom line. Let's teach the private sector the same lesson.
An excellent idea!

It's like the anti-gay couple in Maryland who stated they wouldn't serve any married same-sex couples even if the law said they had to, and then had the nerve to ask that same-sex couples not target them for their bigotry.

Tawas City, Michigan

#11 Dec 29, 2012
<quoted text>
Keep stereotyping yourself bro. Oh, you keep talking about blacks and conveniently forget most of them are actually against homosexual acts.
The Rev Bill Owens says high. The same Rev Owens that said Obama sold out as Judas did for 30 sheckels. The same Rev Owens that actually marched in the civil rights movement.
And yet the majority of blacks in Maryland voted FOR marriage equality for same-sex couples.......

Tawas City, Michigan

#15 Dec 29, 2012
Decadence wrote:
<quoted text>
You are personally responsible for the subversion, corruption and moral decay of billions of people.
For decades.
Dangerous times are near. The 'future' and principles of morality command it and you are on the other end.
B`A`A`A`A`A`A`A`A`A
Whatever I can do to help you along to your grave......

The entire US of A

#16 Dec 29, 2012
Decadence wrote:
<quoted text>
You are personally responsible for the subversion, corruption and moral decay of billions of people.
For decades.
What a silly think to say. You don't even KNOW sheeple.

The entire US of A

#17 Dec 29, 2012
Decadence wrote:
<quoted text>
Just the stupid perverted ones.
Butt sex = Less Humans.
What an odd idea. Despite the fact that the majority of straight people have tried anal sex, based on polls, they have still managed to increase the population.

And the fact that a minority of the gay population has engaged in it hasn't stopped a single straight person from procreating, as far as anyone can tell.

Can you provide some stats to back up your claim?

“What Goes Around, Comes Around”

Kansas City, MO.

#20 Dec 29, 2012
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
What an odd idea. Despite the fact that the majority of straight people have tried anal sex, based on polls, they have still managed to increase the population.
And the fact that a minority of the gay population has engaged in it hasn't stopped a single straight person from procreating, as far as anyone can tell.
Can you provide some stats to back up your claim?
Stand by...the troll forgot to change his ISP and used the same one. ROTFL. Just wait for the grey box & a different name. LOL

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#21 Dec 29, 2012
fr world's biggest lie:

>When one 'chooses' to be gay or acts upon their 'tendencies' they 'have' stopped procreating fool....<

Nobody "chooses" to be glbt. One is BORN gay or straight.

Also, not everyone has kids, for whatever reason.

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#25 Dec 29, 2012
DNF wrote:
What a grand idea! We should make this a grass roots idea, and run these tools into the ground. Let's see Jesus send them money when they are out of business or have to pay huge fines.

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#27 Dec 30, 2012
Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>What a grand idea! We should make this a grass roots idea, and run these tools into the ground. Let's see Jesus send them money when they are out of business or have to pay huge fines.
Boycotts are good but I think it's time we used the same tactics of civil disobedience blacks used.

Instead of basically ignoring these anti-gay businesses and making a bunch of noise, let's get pro active in making SURE they lose money.

Contract for their services then inform the a day or two in advance we are gay and lesbian. When they try to back out of the contract we have much more ammunition to use than we'd have with basic boycotts.

They lose the booking. Then they face breach of contract suits. And in Sates that include sexual orientation under public accommodation laws, they face criminal charges and fines.

I hope that Maine has a non discrimination law for public accommodations that includes sexual orientation. And if it doesn't let's get them passed. If it does then any government worker who tries to use religion to protect their illegal activities will be subject to criminal prosecution.

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#28 Dec 30, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
An excellent idea!
It's like the anti-gay couple in Maryland who stated they wouldn't serve any married same-sex couples even if the law said they had to, and then had the nerve to ask that same-sex couples not target them for their bigotry.
Glad you like it. Let's pass it along.

It's time we became as visible as the blacks at racist lunch counters did.

The R.C.C thought it was real clever shutting down adoptions, which is where the trolley guy in Maryland got the idea. But we need to take the fight beyond just marriage and adoptions. Just like those who sat at lunch counters did.

Two things right wing christians don't want is bad publicity and a dwindling income. Sure they will try to play at being martyrs just like Chic Fil-A and Catholic Charities. But let them try to pay the rent and light bill with their martyr status.

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#29 Dec 30, 2012
Religion is a choice. And every choice has a consequence.

Let's start really hurting these bigots where it matters most. In their bank balance and daily business, just like the blacks did with lunch counter sit ins.

Imagine how much business Chick Fil-a would lose if we did kiss ins daily.

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#30 Dec 30, 2012
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Boycotts are good but I think it's time we used the same tactics of civil disobedience blacks used.
Instead of basically ignoring these anti-gay businesses and making a bunch of noise, let's get pro active in making SURE they lose money.
Contract for their services then inform the a day or two in advance we are gay and lesbian. When they try to back out of the contract we have much more ammunition to use than we'd have with basic boycotts.
They lose the booking. Then they face breach of contract suits. And in Sates that include sexual orientation under public accommodation laws, they face criminal charges and fines.
I hope that Maine has a non discrimination law for public accommodations that includes sexual orientation. And if it doesn't let's get them passed. If it does then any government worker who tries to use religion to protect their illegal activities will be subject to criminal prosecution.
They should book up high traffic or desirable days, like New Year's Eve or some days that are popular, to further hurt these inferior businesses.

Frankly, I cannot even see the joy of going to most of these places as it is. Any time this happens, I look up the site of the offending business and most times it appears DREADFUL on its own. However, I will defend the rites of the customer over the creaky tasseled granny rooms or halls to the end.

BTW, Happy New Year to YOU. What are your plans? I'm having a big do here, at my townhouse Club House this year, and am expecting about 20. NO chance of THAT being gay unfriendly, since about half the other owners in this building are gay. It IS Palm Springs, after all!

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#32 Dec 30, 2012
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Glad you like it. Let's pass it along.
It's time we became as visible as the blacks at racist lunch counters did.
The R.C.C thought it was real clever shutting down adoptions, which is where the trolley guy in Maryland got the idea. But we need to take the fight beyond just marriage and adoptions. Just like those who sat at lunch counters did.
Two things right wing christians don't want is bad publicity and a dwindling income. Sure they will try to play at being martyrs just like Chic Fil-A and Catholic Charities. But let them try to pay the rent and light bill with their martyr status.
DON'T.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gay marriage (Mar '13) 9 min NightMare 56,608
Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? 10 min Reverend Alan 2,965
Gay marriage news: NC magistrate won't marry co... 11 min Jonah1 143
The Erasure of 'Gay' From Black History & the B... 13 min Belle Sexton 9
Health research project targets lesbian women 22 min Belle Sexton 3
O Happy Day 23 min TaterTot 1
Is Vladimir Putin Another Adolf Hitler? 25 min Oliver Cromwell 1,898
Houston Tells Pastors to Turn Over Sermons or F... 35 min Gasman 183
Next gay marriage fight: religious exemptions 2 hr Wondering 544
Supreme Court paves way for gay marriage ina 12 hr Belle Sexton 394