Gay marriage

Gay marriage

There are 61402 comments on the Los Angeles Times story from Mar 28, 2013, titled Gay marriage. In it, Los Angeles Times reports that:

The U.S. Supreme Court is considering two controversial cases involving whether same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marry: Proposition 8, California's 2008 ban on gay marriage, and the Defense of Marriage Act, which since 1996 has defined marriage for federal purposes as a union between a man and a woman.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Los Angeles Times.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#22163 Jan 28, 2014
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it's NOT an equal rights issue. No, I really don't consider it mocking when someone rants about conservatives as being NAZIs or Inquisitors or KKK nutjobs, etc. SHOW ME the logical argument. You have to earn my respect if you want me to allow my taxes be redistributed to you or anyone else.
Do you have rights? If so it follows that I have rights does it not? If we have rights it follows that everyone has rights.

If you want to stop being robbed by the Government then you need to make government smaller and get it to stop trying to control our lives from birth to death.

I know that is an impossible sell to the authoritarians who want to control other people and violate their right to make decisions for themselves.
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#22164 Jan 28, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it means those who are nice people.
Why are polygamists not "nice people"?
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#22165 Jan 28, 2014
Today we learn from sheeples that marriage equality is for "nice people" only. Priceless.
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#22166 Jan 28, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you have the right to marry the PERSON of your choosing, assuming that person meets the other constitutionally justifiable restrictions placed by the state- i.e. consent, age, consanguinity, etc.
The right to marry exists only in the context of a couple. A person can't marry themselves, nor can they marry multiple people at a time.
Just as the right to vote exists, but that doesn't mean there is a right to vote for who is on the SCOTUS. We could certainly ESTABLISH a right to vote for SCOTUS justices by popular election, but as of now such a right doesn't exist- even though there is a right to vote.
If you wish to establish a new right to marry multiple people at once, feel free to work on that. But such a right doesn't currently exist.
Too funny!

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#22167 Jan 28, 2014
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly! One size never fits all. If someone says they are ready for sex that is good enough for me, however all our resident authoritarians believe they should have a say in when other people start to have sex, just like they believe they should be in the doctor's office with you should you be considering having a surgical procedure.
Letting people make their own decisions when they reach puberty is a sane sound solution. However it makes the authoritarians heads spin. And authoritarians are in the majority and since we have lost our Republic it is majority rules.
So you think just because a 12 y/o boy can get a boner or a 11 y/o girl has her period, he/she are emotionally & psychologically mature enough to make an informed decision about sexual relations?

When he gets that 11 y/o girl pregnant because they don't even understand how babies are made, will they be held financially & legally responsible for the child they didn't realize they were making?

If a 12 y/o can legally consent to sex just because he gets a boner, then why not let him drive and buy alcohol and buy guns and join the military, etc, etc.

Moron.

Tawas City, Michigan

#22168 Jan 28, 2014
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
I never agreed to any restrictions on my freedom. When did you agree, where did you agree, and how did you agree? Did you fill out a form in the post office?
If you haven't renounced your American citizenship, then you agreed.

Location hidden

#22169 Jan 28, 2014
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm largely Libertarian...
People in this forum are mostly demopublicans and repulbicrats who love to argue about wanting freedom for themselves while restricting it for others. Take the case of Comrade Sheepie for instance. He wants the right to marry whom he pleases while he advocates preventing certain woman from marrying the man who wants to marry them.

I blame the brainwashing they all received from attending the government run schools where they learned to look to the government for everything from birth to death.

Tawas City, Michigan

#22170 Jan 28, 2014
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are against the fast food industry like Pepsi, Coke, General Mills etc etc etc putting chemicals in what people eat,[we can't really call it food] because it makes people fat and obese and obese people run up health care costs.
The solution of course is for your government to stop robbing Peter to pay Paul. It is the Government who takes my and your money to pay for the health care costs of fat people who got fat because of the chemicals in junk food. Fat people require a lot more health care than do people of normal weight and you have to pay for it.
Actually the insurance & healthcare industries also take my money to pay for the bad habits of others.

Location hidden

#22171 Jan 28, 2014
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>... you can SAY that there isn't a rational argument against gay marriage ad infinitum. It doesn't change the rational argument.
ALAN: There is a rational argument?

If each of us has rights then it follows that gay people have rights as well. Present all the alleged "rational arguments" you know of and it still does not change the fact that in our Republic everyone has the right to make their own decisions about who they will associate with and what kind of relationships they will form.

Arguments for and against gay marriage are irrelevant. Each of us has the right to marry whom we want no matter how many times Comrade Sheepie says he can decide that some women can't get married.

Tawas City, Michigan

#22172 Jan 28, 2014
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you want to deny women the right to marry whom they wish to marry? You want to micro-manage which women can marry which men.
Why do you get to tell a woman she can't marry the man of her dreams? You want the freedom to get married but you are not willing to extend that freedom to all women, just some women.
Do you have that gay stereotype of hating women?
Every woman has the same right to marry that every other woman or man has. Just as every man as the same right to marry as every other man or woman.

Location hidden

#22173 Jan 28, 2014
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems to me that the majority of States haven't jumped on your bandwagon. For the most part, the Liberals just want to behavior modify the public into accepting their vigilantism but the judicial system is only washing their hands Pontius Pilate style.
Well, I don't like it when people try to train me with a rolled up newspaper. I think draconian punishment IS in order and I WILL see to it if given a chance.
The majority of big businesses, small businesses and decent people everywhere have jumped on the bandwagon of freedom for the rights of individuals to be able to marry whom they wish to marry. Soon the government will follow and all the unfair, unjust and unconstitutional laws against marriage will be lifted. It is the right thing to do which is why Comrade Sheepie will continue to advocate for marriage inequality.

If you were a real Libertarian you would let go of you prejudices and rejoice that freedom has been extended to gay people and will soon be extended to polygamists.

You sound more like a statist authoritarian, like lides and Comrade Sheepie than you do any Libertarian I have ever met.
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#22174 Jan 28, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
So you think just because a 12 y/o boy can get a boner
Whoa whoa whoa! Easy there gramps.

Tawas City, Michigan

#22175 Jan 28, 2014
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
Asked and answered.
And your answer is why polygamy remains a felony in 39 states & a misdemeanor in the other 11.

If you want to keep it that way, then stick with the answer you've given.

Works for me.

Location hidden

#22176 Jan 28, 2014
lides:[insults snipped] This is about equal protection of the law.

ALAN: Equal protection of individual rights is what you object to. You have no problem using the law to violate the rights of others. You insist people do not have rights when laws are passed against them. And you are wrong Wrong WRONG! People have rights whether or not the government protects them.

lides:[insults snipped]... those seeking equal protection of the law, don't care what a dumb bigot thinks about them.

ALAN: Like that baker doesn't care what you, a dumb bigot, thinks about him.

lides: Allowing equality in no way impacts your rights.

ALAN: You are opposed to the idea that business people have any rights.

lides: You are still free to have an voice and opinion,

ALAN: And now that you can stop a baker from voicing his opinion the rest of us are just a majority vote away from having our freedom of speech restricted to only things you approve of.

lides:[insults snipped]

Location hidden

#22177 Jan 28, 2014
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
How long have you been an idiot?
live your life as a willful imbecile.
pot/kettle

Tawas City, Michigan

#22178 Jan 28, 2014
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
People marrying the people they love is a felony in 39 states and you support that. Priceless.
Where did you ever get the impression you have a right to marry someone just because you love them?

I love my daughter; do I have a right to marry her?
I lover my brothers; do I have a right to marry them?
I love my mother & father; do I have the right to marry them?

Location hidden

#22179 Jan 28, 2014
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Will you quit your whining?!
I do not believe lides can quit his whining. With out it what else would he do all day long?

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#22180 Jan 28, 2014
garylloyd wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, now you want us to believe men who take it up the ass are not necessarily gay.
Look, fella, nobody cares about the semantic games you people play to misdirect.
Nobody has time for that foolishness.
Still obsessing over anal sex troll?

Location hidden

#22181 Jan 28, 2014
Pietro Armando wrote: It's only a right if it's legally recognized.
Six_Of_One wrote:
<quoted text>Nope, human rights transcend completely.
Good reply. Pietro Armando is a victim of government brainwashing as are most of the authoritarians in here. They falsely believe our rights come from the government and the government wants them to keep believing that. No wonder they hate everyone who loves freedom.

Tawas City, Michigan

#22182 Jan 28, 2014
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
How silly is that?
I never said I supported it, just that he can't be arrested for it.

People do a lot of stupid things, and in general they should be allowed to do them with minimal interference from the govt.

But that doesn't mean the govt should legally sanction such activity.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 12 min Respect71 38,414
News Gay-bashing US pastor feeling the heat from SA 30 min Mitts Gold Plated... 8
News L.G.B.T. Asian-Americans share stories to educa... 32 min Tony Orlando 5
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 44 min Terra Firma 14,654
News Clooney's restraining order 1 hr stoned luck aka ... 26
The Monday NE Jade Thread 1 hr Lewis 1
News Made In Chelsea's Ollie Locke to come out as ga... 1 hr Mitts Gold Plated... 2
More from around the web