Gay marriage

Full story: Los Angeles Times

The U.S. Supreme Court is considering two controversial cases involving whether same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marry: Proposition 8, California's 2008 ban on gay marriage, and the Defense of Marriage Act, which since 1996 has defined marriage for federal purposes as a union between a man and a woman.
Comments
9,521 - 9,540 of 52,757 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

“Busting Kimare's”

Since: Feb 13

Clitty

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2013

Norman Chaney 1 wrote:
The Justice Dept now has a policy where any employee when a homosexual brings up the topic of homosexuality can't maintain silence.
You have to pipe up and say taking it up the arse is the way to go.
If you don't "affirm" dying with sperm in your rectum like L Ron Hubbard's son did, you're subject to termination.
Fiction should be left to authors with a creative imagination and not those with the mental capacity of a 7th grade boy. In fact, most of my 7th grade students would have done far better.

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

Since: Aug 08

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2013

Dusty Mangina wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I'm quite certain I know "Gary" by several other names. I love how he hangs his hat on fringe web-sites, clearly ignoring the mainstream.
Yep, that's him......and wanting us to answer his questions while ignoring ours.......like that photo I posted the other day!!!

Since: Mar 07

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2013

Judged:

garylloyd wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the College of Pediatricians .....
All 40 to 200 of them? What about the other thousands upon thousands of pediatricians?

Using the radical social conservative fringe elements as your backup is rather silly.

What do the VAST majority of pediatricians say?

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2013

Judged:

garylloyd wrote:
<quoted text>
After which, the question is a simple one -- should sex cult members be in our schools?
Not a problem, since there aren't any, other than a few straight swingers who are in the closet. But I'm not sure they really qualify as a "cult".

Now, if we count the extremely sex-obsessed, you would qualify.

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2013

Judged:

garylloyd wrote:
Should Schools Identify and Affirm Students as “Gay” or “Transgender?”
Schools have no reason to "identify" who is gay or not, but ALL schools must be required to provide a safe environment for ALL children, straight, gay, bi, trans, or whatever.

No child should ever be faced with the pain of trying to pretend they are something they can never be, to please insecure idiots who fear or hate them.

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2013

Judged:

garylloyd wrote:
<quoted text>
What's your point?
Are you saying the group is not qualified?
Are you saying you disagree with it?
What's your point, Bozo?
I think my post speaks for itself, doesn't it? All "40 or so members .."

Yep! Lets look at the nut bags for advice!

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2013

Judged:

garylloyd wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop masturbating.
Do you believe in "born this way"
Do you think children should be labeled "gay" or "transgender."
Do you think sexual orientation is immutable?
Do you think homosexuals can't be pedophiles?
You've been wasting everybody's time for months with your masturbatory legal posts. How about some straight answers on the questions above?
I think your fantasies of other people having sex are disturbing, but the answers are very simple.

Yes, sexual orientation is innate.

No, labels aren't really necessary, as kids who are gay, straight, or transgender will remain so despite any label applied, by you, me, society, or even themselves.

Yes, sexual orientation is immutable, in the vast majority of humans. I would never say all, because we just don't know. We don't consciously chooses to be attracted to only one gender, or to both genders in some degree, and so far, there is no scientific proof showing we can completely change the orientation we are born with. And the way to prove such a thing is very simple, and easily applied.

Humans can indeed be pedophiles, but a true pedophile does not have an "adult" orientation, and cannot be said to be straight or gay. Pedophiles can choose to harm children of just one gender, or either gender, and it is monstrous regardless of the gender of the victim.

Does that help you any?

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2013

garylloyd wrote:
<quoted text>
And tell us, birdbrain, how does that support claim of their being such things as gay and transgender students?
Silly name calling aside, it's extremely easy to prove that there are gay and transgender students.

After all, every gay or transgender adult was once in school.

Are you trying to argue that GLBT folks don't go to school? Pretty strange stuff.

Since: Nov 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2013

WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
LIE.
Our daughter's school has never taught "homosexuality is normal and safe". In fact, homosexuality isn't mentioned anywhere in the curriculum at all. I go to every school board meeting, and the topic has never come up.
Yep, just another LIE on your part.
And yet we read this from the American College of Pediatricians website:

==========

School officials are being increasingly pressured by pro-homosexual organizations to integrate homosexual education into school curricula. These organizations recommend promoting homosexuality as a normal, immutable trait that should be validated during childhood, as early as kindergarten. These organizations also condemn all efforts to provide treatment to gender confused students, advocating instead the creation of student groups that affirm homosexual attractions and behaviors.

One of the most coordinated efforts to convince school officials to embrace this position was launched by a coalition of 13 organizations which produced a brochure entitled, Just the Facts about Sexual Orientation and Youth. This coalition, which includes the American Academy of Pediatrics, American Psychiatric Association, and the National Education Association, mailed the brochure in January 2008 to all 16,000 public school superintendents in the United States. The purpose of the brochure is to:

• Promote the notion that all forms of sexual attraction among students (regardless of age) are equally and entirely normal, including heterosexuality, homosexuality and bisexuality.
• Inform educators that all sexual-reorientation therapy may be harmful and should be prohibited.
• Warn school officials that student clubs advocating the practice of homosexuality must be allowed on campus.

http://factsaboutyouth.com/posts/on-the-promo...
==========

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2013

Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
Silly name calling aside, it's extremely easy to prove that there are gay and transgender students.
Are you trying to argue that GLBT folks don't go to school? Pretty strange stuff.
==========
"it's extremely easy to prove that there are gay and transgender students. After all, every gay or transgender adult was once in school.

==========

How do you know every gay or transgender adult was once a gay or transgender child? This assertion is not only steeped in ignorance and entirely unsupported by science, it's also a prime example of the shitty logic you fellows continue to use to advance your agenda.

First, you establish a unsupported premise: all gays are born that way. Then you extrapolate from that all gays were gays as children. The possibility that some gays were heterosexual is dismissed for no other reason that it doesn't agree with your "born this way" hypothesis - a hypothesis that has never been proven.

And this is all you need to go into the schools and start labeling kids homosexual and transgender -- faulty logic like the above.

But don't worry, I'm not holding your responsible for the young lives you destroy -- you're gay, you can't help yourself. I'm holding the idiot liberals who allow themselves to be manipulated by your idiot logic.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2013

Dusty Mangina wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll agree, labels are damaging.
Where are these thousands of gay activits and what schools are they in? Or did you merely drink the cool-aid from your fringe fundamental physician phucktard phantasy phorum?
C'mon, Gary, pony up some facts. What schools have LGBT activists teaching the big gay lifestyle?????
Gad, and I thought Lides was stupid.

Look, Genius, let's try it like this: suppose there's evidence all schools are teaching kids homosexuality is safe and normal -- would you be OK with that?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2013

Dusty Mangina wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, Buford, YOU'RE the one making the claim. YOU back it up.
Christ on a Cracker, just like KiMare, you toss out some bat-shit crazy "fact" and then expect everyone else to defend your position.
You know the difference between you and a sack of manure?
Yeah, the sack.
One of the most coordinated efforts to convince school officials to embrace this position was launched by a coalition of 13 organizations which produced a brochure entitled, Just the Facts about Sexual Orientation and Youth. This coalition, which includes the American Academy of Pediatrics, American Psychiatric Association, and the National Education Association, mailed the brochure in January 2008 to all 16,000 public school superintendents in the United States. The purpose of the brochure is to:

• Promote the notion that all forms of sexual attraction among students (regardless of age) are equally and entirely normal, including heterosexuality, homosexuality and bisexuality.
• Inform educators that all sexual-reorientation therapy may be harmful and should be prohibited.
• Warn school officials that student clubs advocating the practice of homosexuality must be allowed on campus.

The American College of Pediatricians disagrees with the coalition and presents this scientific response:

• The etiology of homosexual attraction is determined by a combination of familial, environmental, and social influences. For some individuals the inheritance of predisposing personality traits may also play a role.
• While homosexual attraction may not be a conscious choice, it is changeable for many individuals.
• Declaring and validating a student’s same-sex attraction during the adolescent years is premature and may be harmful.
• Many youth with homosexual attractions have experienced a troubled upbringing, including sexual abuse, and are in need of therapy.
• The homosexual lifestyle carries grave health risks.
• Sexual reorientation therapy can be effective. Students and parents should be aware of all therapeutic options.
• There is no evidence that pro-homosexual programs, such as on-campus student clubs, ease the health disorders of homosexual youth.
• The Just the Facts brochure is based upon statements of endorsement of adolescent homosexuality by coalition organizations, and not upon citations of evidence-based research.

Regardless of an individual’s sexual orientation, sexual activity is conscious choice. Any sexual activity outside of a monogamous, heterosexual, married relationship is unhealthy and ill-advised.

http://factsaboutyouth.com/posts/on-the-promo...

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2013

Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
How does one prove a sexual identity?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2013

http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/firstthought...

The Invention of Sexual Identity
Tuesday, October 4, 2011
Joe Carter|@joecarter
What was the nineteenth century’s worst invention? Choosing just one isn’t an easy task, but one that should be near the top of the list is ... sexual identity. Few modern creations have wreaked as much havoc on individuals and culture as this medical concept.

In a fascinating interview at Patheos, cultural anthropologist Jenell Paris discusses the history and implications of this relatively recent invention:

Was it also the 19th century when these labels gained currency in the broader culture?

Those didn’t really influence the general public until the 1930s, when those words became a more common part of American discourse. So in thinking about even my own family, just to take an example, we could say that my grandfather who came of age in the 1910s probably didn’t have a sexual identity. He was a fundamentalist minister, but he was a man, he was a Christian, and his sexuality got wrapped around those concepts, not his identity understood in terms of his sexuality.

My parents remember getting a sexual identity in the 1960s. So these ideas came a little late for them but they both can talk about realizing,“Oh, I am heterosexual; there is such a thing and I am going to claim one of those labels for myself.” I, growing up in the ‘80s, always had a sexual identity. So we can see across the 20th century there has been a deeper and deeper entrenchment of that concept in American self-understandings.

And these changes correspond to how different generations have understood the role and meaning of sex in human life?

Right. If anything, sex was considered a more communal element of life. It had to do with reproduction, with family, with extended family, and with church and community. Sexual identity categories radically individualized the meaning of sex in the human experience. So the meaning of sex is now located primarily within the individual and her private, innermost feelings.

As an anthropologist, why do you think these changes occurred?

I think there are many different social factors around increasing individualism, even urbanization and other factors that don't seem directly related to sex. Urbanization made it possible for people to move far away from their families and have relationships or sexual experiences that their kin would never even know about. So people were gaining more freedom to cultivate sexual experiences that were more individualized, and I think this influenced the scientific community to categorize sexuality in ways that were more individual and less religious and less communal.

Where did the scientific community locate this thing called sexual identity? Where does our sexual identity reside?

Often it has to do with sexual feelings. We are encouraged to think about what our sexual feelings are and choose the category accordingly. So a person could be gay or straight without having any sexual experience; it is simply based on their thoughts and feelings. Some people base it more on sexual behavior and experience. But there is disagreement in the scientific community, such that if you ask sex researchers today, "What percent of the population is gay?" you would get a response of frustration like, "Well it depends on what you mean by ‘gay.' How exactly do we define that term?" Different scientific studies will define sexual identity based on thoughts, feelings, behaviors, and self-identification and get very different answers depending on how the term is defined.

Read more ...

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2013

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
How does one prove a sexual identity?
You mean sexual orientation?

A couple of well placed electrodes will do it....

Funny, I've never heard of a single "ex-gay" willing to try it and prove their complete conversion.

I wonder why?

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2013

garylloyd wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet we read this from the American College of Pediatricians website:
Still quoting form the irrational fringe that has been repudiated by the vast majority of pediatricians across the country? Why?

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2013

Judged:

garylloyd wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you know every gay or transgender adult was once a gay or transgender child?.......
Ask a few. Or a few hundred.

I think they would know more about it than you do.

Since sexual orientation is innate and immutable, it's not a stretch to understand that it's hard wired by birth.

But why are you so worried about it if you aren't gay? It's not like you have any real means of understanding it, any more than a gay person can understand how a straight person feels about their orientation, and how it affects their life and their choices.

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2013

garylloyd wrote:
<quoted text>
But don't worry, I'm not holding your responsible for the young lives you destroy -- you're gay, you can't help yourself. I'm holding the idiot liberals who allow themselves to be manipulated by your idiot logic.
You poor thing. I hope you don't have access to innocent children. I can't imagine the damage you would do to their minds and souls.

I feel very sorry for you - it must hurt you to live like this. But, after all, it is your choice. Even the most irrational bigot can learn and grow, if they choose.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2013

Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean sexual orientation?
Sexual identity.
A couple of well placed electrodes will do it....
Funny, I've never heard of a single "ex-gay" willing to try it and prove their complete conversion.
I wonder why?
That may indicate a same sex attraction, but not the identity. Can one have a same sex attraction without the rainbow flag waving, bumper sticker, sexual identity?

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2013

garylloyd wrote:
<quoted text>
Look, Genius, let's try it like this: suppose there's evidence all schools are teaching kids homosexuality is safe and normal -- would you be OK with that?
That would be a wonderful thing, since it's the simple truth. It's not as though learning about human sexuality will turn someone straight or gay. Accepting one's self, and treating those who are a little different with respect and care are always good things.

What goes along with it, though, is teaching ALL children that their choices and behaviors can some with severe consequences, both good and bad. Irresponsible and unprotected sex can lead to many grave social ills, such as under age and unwanted pregnancies, un-wed motherhood and disinterested Fathers, and a vast array of illnesses, from herpes to HIV.

As always - education is the key!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••