Gay marriage

Gay marriage

There are 61395 comments on the Los Angeles Times story from Mar 28, 2013, titled Gay marriage. In it, Los Angeles Times reports that:

The U.S. Supreme Court is considering two controversial cases involving whether same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marry: Proposition 8, California's 2008 ban on gay marriage, and the Defense of Marriage Act, which since 1996 has defined marriage for federal purposes as a union between a man and a woman.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Los Angeles Times.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#9190 Nov 14, 2013
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
That's simply false. Many cultures have had homosexuals: Greeks, Romans, native Americans, China, Japan, etc.
<quoted text>
Procreation is neither required as part of marriage nor is marriage required to procreate. They're not even expected.
The government has an interest in seeing people in committed, stable relationships. It proves better both for the participants and their children. And these benefits apply to gay couples as well as straight couples.
Homosexuals have been present in every culture. If you want to talk specifically how that looked on a particular culture, go for it. You choose.

You are not addressing the issue of discrimination that occurs when children are removed from consideration. Nor are stable couples a prevailing interest got the government.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#9191 Nov 14, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
You said SS couples have their OWN children. Now you are talking about SS couples raising OTHER people's children.
That's simply lying. Why is that necessary for a just cause?
If they are the child's parents, then it is their own child.

Somehow I doubt that if you were talking to a straight couple who had adopted, you'd ask "How's that other people's daughter doing?" rather than "How's your daughter doing?"

Location hidden

#9192 Nov 14, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
You are not addressing the issue of discrimination that occurs when children are removed from consideration. Nor are stable couples a prevailing interest got the government.
What issue of discrimination?

How is improved societal health through stable couples not a prevailing government interest? It's the *primary* interest when it comes to marriage.

Location hidden

#9193 Nov 14, 2013
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
If they are the child's parents, then it is their own child.
Somehow I doubt that if you were talking to a straight couple who had adopted, you'd ask "How's that other people's daughter doing?" rather than "How's your daughter doing?"
We were talking about procreation, not adoption.

You were deceitful in a vain attempt to equate an imposter relationship to marriage, and a fake half duplicated half to mom and dad.

You are stuck with deception because you are living a lie.

Location hidden

#9194 Nov 14, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
We were talking about procreation, not adoption.
We are talking about having and raising children. Adoption counts. So does bringing in a child from a previous relationship. So does using a surrogate. So does using a IVF with a sperm donation. Gay couples have kids.
KiMare wrote:
You were deceitful in a vain attempt to equate an imposter relationship to marriage, and a fake half duplicated half to mom and dad.
You are stuck with deception because you are living a lie.
I wasn't deceitful in any way. You have no valid argument and must resort to weak personal attacks, catty phrases, and assuming anyone who doesn't share your opinion is gay.

Location hidden

#9195 Nov 14, 2013
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
What issue of discrimination?
How is improved societal health through stable couples not a prevailing government interest? It's the *primary* interest when it comes to marriage.
It singles out one segment of society for special treatment. You know that and are playing dumb.
Poof

Rock Island, IL

#9196 Nov 14, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
It singles out one segment of society for special treatment. You know that and are playing dumb.
If you don't allow same sex marriage, then indeed you are singling out one segemnt of society for special treatment. Are you playing or are you dumb?

Location hidden

#9197 Nov 14, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
That contention is dumb. It's not "special treatment" to get access to the exact same thing people have access to.

Location hidden

#9198 Nov 14, 2013
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
We are talking about having and raising children. Adoption counts. So does bringing in a child from a previous relationship. So does using a surrogate. So does using a IVF with a sperm donation. Gay couples have kids.
<quoted text>
I wasn't deceitful in any way. You have no valid argument and must resort to weak personal attacks, catty phrases, and assuming anyone who doesn't share your opinion is gay.
You are not talking about 'having' children. You are talking about raising children as if it was the same as procreating. Not just a lie, but a devastating default situation for the child.

You perpetrate a fraud on the backs of children. Diabolically evil.

Location hidden

#9200 Nov 14, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
You are not talking about 'having' children. You are talking about raising children as if it was the same as procreating.
I am talking about having children. Surrogacy and IVF both results in the creation of NEW children, and they can have same-sex parents. Adoption does not result in the creation of a new child, but can be raised by same-sex parents all the same.

SSM opponents frequently tell us that marriage is valuable because it's improved stability is good for children. Yet, magically, that improvement doesn't count when it comes to children being raised by a gay couple.
KiMare wrote:
Not just a lie, but a devastating default situation for the child.
Your evidence that it is a devastating default situation, please?
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#9201 Nov 14, 2013
lides wrote:
You are the idiot advocating for some to be held as second class citizens with less than equal protection of the law.
You mean like:
Section 1. No man shall marry his mother, grandmother, daughter, granddaughter, sister, stepmother, grandfather’s wife, grandson’s wife, wife’s mother, wife’s grandmother, wife’s daughter, wife’s granddaughter, brother’s daughter, sister’s daughter, father’s sister or mother’s sister.
Section 2. No woman shall marry her father, grandfather, son, grandson, brother, stepfather, grandmother’s husband, daughter’s husband, granddaughter’s husband, husband’s grandfather, husband’s son, husband’s grandson, brother’s son, sister’s son, father’s brother or mother’s brother.
Section 4. A marriage contracted while either party thereto has a former wife or husband living, except as provided in section six and in chapter two hundred and eight, shall be void.

Looks like same sex couples aren't alone, and yet, you seem to be only for their inclusion. Hmmmm...

Location hidden

#9203 Nov 14, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like same sex couples aren't alone, and yet, you seem to be only for their inclusion. Hmmmm...
Wondering, are you in favor of polygamous or incestuous marriages? If not, why not?
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#9206 Nov 14, 2013
Toys R Us kid wrote:
<quoted text>
How is it these are "other peoples children" when one of the same sexed couples is either the biological father or biological mother?
Hint, from your post: one of

“Busting Kimare's”

Since: Feb 13

Clitty

#9207 Nov 14, 2013
Toys R Us kid wrote:
<quoted text>
How is it these are "other peoples children" when one of the same sexed couples is either the biological father or biological mother?
The whole idea is incredibly ignorant as it is you stupid buffoon. I have friends that were adopted as infants and they call their parents the ones who raised them. You're going to get laughed at in public you stupid bitch in thinking that parenting involves getting laid one night only to have a pregnancy take place. You're beyond dumb and have drifted into insensitive insult.
As it is I personally hope we get more gay couples adopting rather than working on having their own offspring given the beneficial aspect of less kids in orphanages and foster homes.
By the way...I probably speak for all the adults that were adopted as children and raised in loving families....F@#K YOU.
LOL!!!
Greg' replies are highly offensive to families with adoptees
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#9209 Nov 14, 2013
Toys R Us kid wrote:
1. The whole idea is incredibly ignorant as it is you stupid buffoon. I have friends that were adopted as infants and they call their parents the ones who raised them.
2. You're going to get laughed at in public you stupid bitch in thinking that parenting involves getting laid one night only to have a pregnancy take place.
3. You're beyond dumb and have drifted into insensitive insult.
4. As it is I personally hope we get more gay couples adopting rather than working on having their own offspring given the beneficial aspect of less kids in orphanages and foster homes.
5. By the way...I probably speak for all the adults
1. That's an odd name. Do they introduce their parents as "the ones who raised them?"
2. Frankly, I'm laughing but I'm laughing at you.
3. That's the icing on the joke. Hint: the joke is you.
4. Hilarious! Gay couples can be " working on having their own offspring" until hell freezes over. It ain't gonna happen.
5. No you don't.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#9213 Nov 14, 2013
Toys R Us kid wrote:
<quoted text>
Why even ask.
The guy's an idiot. Explains his "Wondering" moniker.
He's wondering where to score his next hit of crack cocaine.
People like 'Wondering' and 'KiMare' have the thought process of a 5 year old doormat in that they have no reasoning abilities. Instead of actively thinking they're too busy trying to defend ignorance with smokescreens and game playing.
Are you saying that if I embrace homosexuality, gay marriage, HIV, gay literature in our public elementary schools, gay boy scouts, banned father/daughter dances in RI, etc. I will have the thought process of an adult?

I never want to grow up.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#9215 Nov 14, 2013
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Wondering, are you in favor of polygamous or incestuous marriages? If not, why not?
I don't care about them, just as I never cared what gays did. If two men can marry then all restrictions on marriage should be lifted. People could marry their kids, their mother, they 1955 t-bird, their cat, their dog, whatever. I really don't care. UNTIL you want to teach my kids, without my ok, that any of it is just another normal way of expressing one's sexuality. Is there a condom that can protect one's penis from the sharp edges of an exhaust pipe. I think I'll go propose to my vacuum cleaner.

Location hidden

#9218 Nov 14, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't care about them, just as I never cared what gays did.
But clearly you do care what gays do because you speak against gay marriage.

So, I ask again, are you in favor of incestuous or polygamous marriage being legal?
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#9220 Nov 14, 2013
Toys R Us kid wrote:
<quoted text>
Numero uno...No shitforbrains...the point (you missed again) was that they refer to them as their parents. Your parent or parents are the ones who raised you or maybe in your case the ones who drove to an orchard and sped away with hopes they could start over.
Numero dos...Good for you. I'm over here pitying you sad ass myself. LOL!!
Numero tres...DOH!!! Gee...you got me there...left me a broken man...LOL!!! You sad dog...LOL!!!
Numero quatro....Many already have their own kids moron. Often times they were involved in a heterosexual relationship before "coming out" only to have kids. And if one or the other in a same sexed relationship has direct DNA involvement in the birth of a new baby then is it not their kid???-- Better tell all those heterosexual married couples on their second runs on marriage your idea that their kids are not theirs from the previous marriage and GOOD LUCK ON THAT STUPID...LOL!!!
Gaaaawd...can some of you be any more ignorant???
Numero cinco...Right. Buddy...you're about as impotent as they come.
2. Frankly, I'm laughing but I'm laughing at you.
3. That's the icing on the joke. Hint: the joke is you.
4. Hilarious! Gay couples can be " working on having their own offspring" until hell freezes over. It ain't gonna happen.

I bet your parents are proud.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#9221 Nov 14, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Apparently, same sex marriage don't consider wisdom to be a valid, either.
Do you ever wonder why their are ancient arguments for women's rights, against slavery and racism but none for same sex marriage?
<quoted text>Every child raised by a same sex couple is raised either motherless or fatherless. The only way T.B. can make his claim, is to redefine family just as he wishes to redefine marriage.
<quoted text>They have the same right to marry under the same laws as everyone else; a gay may marry a lesbian in every state. If homosexuality is a sufficient reason for same sex marriage then bisexuality is a reason for polygamy.
There is no gender equality right in the US Constitution either.
<quoted text>It fits with Webster's definition:
the practice or policy of keeping people of different races, religions, etc., separate from each other
Same sex marriage means sex segregation marriage; words have meaning and they are on the side of discrimination, disunity, separatism and segregation while we fight for integration, unity and the perfect 1:1 affirmative action of one man and one woman marriage.
<quoted text>I welcome you to join us defending marriage. Many gays defend marriage as one man and one woman.
Nope, still wrong on every count.

Which probably explains why you anti-gays keep losing in state after state after state...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gay Cakes Are Not a Constitutional Right 19 min American Independent 983
News Sundance: Chlo Grace Moretz goes to gay convers... 1 hr Aspirin Between M... 1
News Urged to resign over rants 1 hr Aspirin Between M... 13
News Trump appointee resigns after racist, sexist an... 1 hr Imprtnrd 90
News Former OKC Mayor blames homosexuality for moral... 1 hr Aspirin Between M... 651
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 1 hr David 17,638
News Dolly Parton Discusses Gay Rumors, Losing a Dra... (Nov '12) 3 hr Fake News 13
The Spectrum Cafe (Dec '07) 5 hr DebraE 27,301
More from around the web