Gay marriage

Gay marriage

There are 61390 comments on the Los Angeles Times story from Mar 28, 2013, titled Gay marriage. In it, Los Angeles Times reports that:

The U.S. Supreme Court is considering two controversial cases involving whether same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marry: Proposition 8, California's 2008 ban on gay marriage, and the Defense of Marriage Act, which since 1996 has defined marriage for federal purposes as a union between a man and a woman.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Los Angeles Times.

Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#7141 Oct 15, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
It will keep a same-sex polygamous marriage illegal, just as it will keep all polygamous marriages illegal.
You are starting to catch on.

What harm would a marriage of three adult consenting men cause you? Why do you feel it should be illegal? Why do you want to prevent it?

Your "abuse and harm" schtick is hyperbole.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#7142 Oct 15, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
They are all US citizens. If marriage were a true fundamental right there would be no rules or regulations. There are rules and regulations as well as fees. Same sex marriage was also dealt with as a matter of law.
No right is absolute.
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#7143 Oct 15, 2013
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem is that Frank isn't really arguing for polygamy, they are raising it thinking that they are making a valid slippery slope argument, when in reality, they are just exposing their own stupidity.
And their inability to count to three, or understand that it is greater than two.
It leaves one with the general impression that Frank isn't so bright.
No. I am serious.

The problem is your paranoia and bigotry, not any subterfuge by me.

You feel you should be allowed to decide who marries who. Where have we seen that before?
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#7144 Oct 15, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
And to a certain extent they were right, which is why it took us 50+ years to get marriage equality instead of just 10-20 years.
The gay community made strategic errors along the way (hindsight is 20-20), but we adjusted our strategy and became successful.
You can either learn from our mistakes and have a chance of seeing polygamy legalized in your lifetime, or you can continue on your current path and die without ever having a realistic shot at achieving your goal.
The choice is yours.
Or you could show a little solidarity. After all your goal is marriage equality. Or is it?

Tawas City, Michigan

#7145 Oct 15, 2013
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem is that Frank isn't really arguing for polygamy, they are raising it thinking that they are making a valid slippery slope argument, when in reality, they are just exposing their own stupidity.
And their inability to count to three, or understand that it is greater than two.
It leaves one with the general impression that Frank isn't so bright.
I realize that.

I just enjoy showing them how easy it is to flatten out & dry up their slippery slope.

They don't understand the basic concepts of equal protection, due process, similarly situated, etc.

It's no wonder they failed to stop same-sex couples from marrying & getting all the rights & benefits of marriage.

Tawas City, Michigan

#7146 Oct 15, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Even if I couldn't, you'd still have no argument.
How does it feel to argue against marriage equality? You do it poorly. You make a pretty dumb bigot.
I don't NEED an argument, since I've already won the right to marriage equality.

Have you?

Tawas City, Michigan

#7147 Oct 15, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
You are starting to catch on.
What harm would a marriage of three adult consenting men cause you? Why do you feel it should be illegal? Why do you want to prevent it?
Your "abuse and harm" schtick is hyperbole.
It wouldn't cause me any harm.

It should be illegal because of legitimate questions regarding informed consent of all the parties, and the unnecessary complications & direct conflicts with existing family law.

Tawas City, Michigan

#7148 Oct 15, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
No. I am serious.
You feel you should be allowed to decide who marries who. Where have we seen that before?
If you ARE serious, then you're doing a very poor job of making your case.

You can look forward to polygamy & incest remaining illegal for the foreseeable future.

lides

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#7149 Oct 15, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
No. I am serious.
Then you are an idiot.
Is 3 greater than, less than, or equal to two?

I don't oppose polygamy due to animus or hatred. I oppose it because it seeks greater protection of the law for three or more people. You might understand this if you could count.

I am sorry you keep advancing stupid arguments. I wish you would learn. Personally, I think you are an embarrassment to the debate. One who can't count to three, or understand that it is greater than two probably should not participate in public debate.

Tawas City, Michigan

#7150 Oct 15, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Or you could show a little solidarity. After all your goal is marriage equality. Or is it?
My goal is equality for gays & lesbians, and for married same-sex couples to be treated the same as any other married couple.

That's one of the mistakes the gay community made- adopting the ambiguous phrase of "marriage equality".

I have no "solidarity" with polygamists or those committing incest.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#7151 Oct 15, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't NEED an argument, since I've already won the right to marriage equality.
Really, in Michigan?

Tawas City, Michigan

#7152 Oct 15, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
No. I am serious.
Like it or not, society decides who should be allowed to marry.

Thinking society's opinion doesn't matter is another mistake the gay community made along the road to equality.

Again, you can learn from our mistakes or not. The choice is yours.

I have no doubt you'll choose poorly....

lides

“No Headline available”

Defiance, Ohio

#7153 Oct 15, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
My goal is equality for gays & lesbians, and for married same-sex couples to be treated the same as any other married couple.
I think Frank's goal (should be) to learn to count past two.
Neil An Blowme

Hoboken, NJ

#7154 Oct 15, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Not at all, how stoned are you?
But even if I were stoned, you'd still be a hypocrite.
O Canada! My home and native land....
You think that lame dodge lets you off the hook for making a completely bogus analogy?
Neil An Blowme

Hoboken, NJ

#7155 Oct 15, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Really, in Michigan?
He can go to YOUR lovely State to get married.
Neil An Blowme

Hoboken, NJ

#7156 Oct 15, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
No. I am serious.
One thing you keep forgetting, numbnuts, the decision has already been made on polygamy.
Neil An Blowme

Hoboken, NJ

#7157 Oct 15, 2013
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
I think Frank's goal (should be) to learn to count past two.
I think his goal should be to find out how long he can stay under water.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#7158 Oct 15, 2013
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
KiMare, I'm sorry you are too dim to make on on topic argument.
The reality is that polygamy is a separate issue, it has already been dealt with as a matter of law, and there is no slippery slope leading from gay marriage to polygamy.
Grow up, learn to count, educate yourself, and try again.
Hardly a separate issue. When you dumb down marriage that far to equate SS couples, you have to deal with the implications, like it or not.
Neil An Blowme

Hoboken, NJ

#7159 Oct 15, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Hardly a separate issue. When you dumb down marriage that far to equate SS couples, you have to deal with the implications, like it or not.
Speculation.

Of course bible thumpers like you never require any proof for what they believe.

lides

“No Headline available”

Defiance, Ohio

#7160 Oct 15, 2013
KiMare wrote:
It's absolutely a separate issue. The only one's claiming otherwise are those witless detractors of same sex marriage who have no valid argument.

Ironically, they have no better argument why polygamy, which by definition seeks greater protection of the law for three or more people to enter one marriage, should be legal. So, actually, your argument fails on two completely separate levels.

Each time you repost this drivel, it only reiterates that you have no valid on topic argument. Congratulations, you have reaffirm that you aren't terribly intelligent.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why? 25 min Jose 2
The Spectrum Cafe (Dec '07) 54 min opportunity knocks 26,564
News Aboriginal drag queen bringing gay pride to reg... 1 hr Francisco 28
News Ten Commandments judge faces runoff in Alabama ... 1 hr Red Crosse 209
News Getting used to gay unions 2 hr Frankie Rizzo 26
News Roy Moore accuser says she was not paid to tell... 2 hr statute of limita... 38
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 2 hr Rose_NoHo 14,009
Roy Moore.....Just Another Hypocrite 3 hr Francisco 113
News This Thanksgiving, I'm thankful for being born gay 4 hr youll shoot your ... 76
More from around the web