Gay marriage

Gay marriage

There are 61393 comments on the Los Angeles Times story from Mar 28, 2013, titled Gay marriage. In it, Los Angeles Times reports that:

The U.S. Supreme Court is considering two controversial cases involving whether same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marry: Proposition 8, California's 2008 ban on gay marriage, and the Defense of Marriage Act, which since 1996 has defined marriage for federal purposes as a union between a man and a woman.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Los Angeles Times.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#4938 Aug 26, 2013
Jeena wrote:
Lets just agree, the word 'marriage' per se means a union between man & woman.
Um, no.
Jeena wrote:
I know, I sound childish to state such platitudes, but when people forget basics, you ought to speak child language to them kids.
It doesn't just sound childish dear, it is childish. You should probably avoid speaking to kids whenever possible.
Jeena wrote:
This idea of 'same-sex marriage' is not at all plausible.
According to you.
Jeena wrote:
It is one thing to tattoo or try hairdoes or dress odd, but fads cannot be stretched too far to affect the very basis of life.
Has anyone ever told you that you are an idiot?
Jeena

Chennai, India

#4939 Aug 26, 2013
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
And gay parents raise their children honorably as well. Marriage makes that a bit easier, and makes families and children more secure. This works exactly the same regardless of orientation.
Please list the ways that marriage is harmful to gay couples and their children, and then list the ways that married gay people are harmful to society.
If you can't come up with anything logical, you lose.
First of all, gay couple can't have children. Thats the basic logic, which I have not lost sight of. So, the issue of their raising their children honorably etc. does not arise at all. Period.
Actually, I am not against homosexuality, but it is the same-sex marriage that I can't quite get. In a heterosexual relationship, a child is a natural by product. So, two heterosex persons cannot walk their own ways, as they owe a responsibility to the child. And fixing the responsibility on a man meant establishing paternity. Earlier there was no reliable scientific means to establish the paternity of a child. So, the only way available then was to commit two people. It is for this reason 'marriage' was instituted to secure the future and well being of the child.
My question is what is that you want to secure in a same-sex relationship, so that they have to be married?
Jeena

Chennai, India

#4940 Aug 26, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
Has anyone ever told you that you are an idiot?
Contradict me through logical reasoning, if you can. You don't get anywhere by calling names!

this one

#4941 Aug 26, 2013
Jeena wrote:
First of all, gay couple can't have children.
Um dear, same sex couples can have children. You have heard of sperm donors and surrogate mothers haven't you? Well, the same ways that many opposite sex couples who cannot have children, have children, work for same sex couples too. Oh and your problems with same sex marriages, not our problems, they are your own.

this one

#4942 Aug 26, 2013
Jeena wrote:
Contradict me through logical reasoning, if you can. You don't get anywhere by calling names!
Sweetie, you and logical reasoning are never in the same room, unless someone is doing it for you. I read your post, remember? You can't even tell the difference between someone calling you an idiot and asking if anyone ever has. It really doesn't matter that you managed to guess correctly that I would agree with such an assessment.
Jeena

Chennai, India

#4943 Aug 26, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Um dear, same sex couples can have children. You have heard of sperm donors and surrogate mothers haven't you? Well, the same ways that many opposite sex couples who cannot have children, have children, work for same sex couples too. Oh and your problems with same sex marriages, not our problems, they are your own.
Please look at your own words 'same sex couples can have children'.
In the physical sense 'to couple' means coupling, i.e., copulating. How do same-sex persons 'couple' and beget children?

this one

#4944 Aug 26, 2013
Jeena wrote:
Please look at your own words 'same sex couples can have children'.
I know what I said dear.
Jeena wrote:
In the physical sense 'to couple' means coupling, i.e., copulating. How do same-sex persons 'couple' and beget children?
And yet you don't want to be asked if anyone has ever called you an idiot. Now I know why, it must happen frequently, repeatedly and often. Sweetie, the answer to your stupid question was in the post you claim to be replying to.
Jeena

Chennai, India

#4945 Aug 26, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>I know what I said dear.
<quoted text>And yet you don't want to be asked if anyone has ever called you an idiot. Now I know why, it must happen frequently, repeatedly and often. Sweetie, the answer to your stupid question was in the post you claim to be replying to.
First 'idiot', now 'stupid'! These names are unchristian, if I might say. As I am not a christian, I will accept them. Thankyou.
Now to the issue.
Darling, you can't 'couple' with your own sex and have children!

this one

#4946 Aug 26, 2013
Jeena wrote:
No? Really? I never would have known. You might not be Christian dear, but you are most definitely an idiot. PS, I said your question was stupid. You really need to work on your pitiful reading comprehension skills.
Jeena

Chennai, India

#4947 Aug 27, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
Hey, honestly, try Yoga. It really helps place things in perspective.
Goodbye, Dear brother/sister.
Jeena

Chennai, India

#4948 Aug 27, 2013
This is for all married or unmarried homosex couples, who also want children in your lives.
Admittedly, you have to seek collaboration from a person of the opposite sex, who you think is not worthwhile having in you lives otherwise. The child born will carry 50% of this loathesome other sex person's genes. Ain't it disgusting? Now, how can you allow such pollution? Try and make it between the two of you only(you and your gay partner). If gay marriages are possible, this too should be possible.
Jeena

Chennai, India

#4949 Aug 27, 2013
Same-sex marriages come with the same issues, jealousy, possessiveness, domination, abuse, infidelity, insecurity etc. It is never going to be equal, just because of the lack of sexual difference between the couple. Add to it you can't have children in the natural course. So, whats new?

this one

#4951 Aug 27, 2013
Jeena wrote:
(nothing worth repeating)
Putting your head up your *ss isn't a Yoga position that I had heard of before. It's definitely given you a unique perspective on things, an idiotic one, but definitely unique.
costelo

Timisoara, Romania

#4952 Aug 27, 2013
This is the ultimate attraction!

See here - http://4c010b67.goneviral.com

“Alley Cat Blues”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#4953 Aug 27, 2013
Jeena wrote:
<quoted text>
First 'idiot', now 'stupid'! These names are unchristian, if I might say. As I am not a christian, I will accept them. Thankyou.
Now to the issue.
So what? Procreation isn't required for marriage.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#4954 Aug 27, 2013
How is it harm, for a photographer to pass on a wedding? Where is the harm in a baker refering a client to a list of alternative when his Christian faith stops him from supporting a same sex marriage? He sells to gays, there's no proof of discrimination; he merely believes marriage is male/female and doesn't support same sex marriage.

Where is the artistic freedom suing a New Mexico florist for not supporting a same sex marriage? Don't Christians have the right to live by their religious principles in America?

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#4955 Aug 27, 2013
fr Jeena:

>Lets just agree, the word 'marriage' per se means a union between man & woman.
I know, I sound childish to state such platitudes, but when people forget basics, you ought to speak child language to them kids. This idea of 'same-sex marriage' is not at all plausible. It is one thing to tattoo or try hairdoes or dress odd, but fads cannot be stretched too far to affect the very basis of life.<

NO. Marriage is a union between two consenting, non-attached, legal adults. Get a clue, Jeena, and grow UP. You DO sound childish. My MARRIAGE to my WIFE is not a "fad", little one. We are a happily-married lesbian FAMILY, and there is nothing that you can do to stop it. Work on your own relationship(s), and keep your nose out of everyone else's.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#4956 Aug 27, 2013
Jeena wrote:
This is for all married or unmarried homosex couples, who also want children in your lives.
Admittedly, you have to seek collaboration from a person of the opposite sex, who you think is not worthwhile having in you lives otherwise....
Why in the world do you believe that we "don't find the opposite sex worthwhile"? Do you really think you have to be sexually attracted to a person for them to be worth something? Do you think that because gay folks can't be sexually attracted to the same gender, that we must disdain them?

That's ridiculous.

And, believe it or not, to have those children, all you need is either a sperm or an egg, or a couple of straight folks who fornicate irresponsibly. And you need a huge heart, a quick mind, and endless patience.

How a child comes into the world is not nearly as important as the care, love, commitment, and humor it takes to successfully raise them. You must not have children of your own, to understand so little about being a parent.

Location hidden

#4958 Aug 27, 2013
Jeena wrote:
Same-sex marriages come with the same issues, jealousy, possessiveness, domination, abuse, infidelity, insecurity etc. It is never going to be equal, just because of the lack of sexual difference between the couple. Add to it you can't have children in the natural course. So, whats new?
So, you know this, how? How many gay married couples - from all walks of life - have you studied? Have you been married to someone of the same gender yourself?

Are you REALLY trying to say that ALL women are identical and interchangeable with any other woman, and all men are carbon copies of other men?

Geesh.

I will never understand the stupidity of people who actually believe that they know more about gay folks than we do, ourselves, especially having met very few.

Why not get out and actually MEET a few hundred gay folks before making a fool of yourself?

Location hidden

#4960 Aug 27, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
How is it harm, for a photographer to pass on a wedding? Where is the harm in a baker refering a client to a list of alternative when his Christian faith stops him from supporting a same sex marriage?...
First, it's likely illegal.

However, did these business put a sign up on the front door, so that the undesirables would know that they were not welcome? How is the black person, the gay person, or the Jew to know that they should not walk through the door?

Can YOU imagine walking in to a shop in your town, exited about the future, only to be tole that you were not the "sort" that business would serve. That you were lesser. Not worthy to spend your money, there. How many stores would YOU be happy to enter, and be humiliated in, before you complained?

For a reference, you might want to ask a few black folks who were refused a seat at a lunch counter.

It's an ugly scene, even when couched as religious belief.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News CDC: Southerners' 'Racism' And 'Homophobia' Cau... 57 min Put a Coat On It 24
Why Are We Being Forced To Accept Homosexuality? (Feb '12) 1 hr RICO SUAVEY 884
News Judge jails Kentucky clerk for refusing marriag... (Sep '15) 1 hr TheRealDonnieJack 1,063
News Maroon 5 scrap North Carolina shows 1 hr Bush Minus 40 13
News Diversity, love, strength and unity celebrated ... 1 hr Slack Jaw 8
News Pope Francis eases way for divorced Catholics w... 2 hr Belles Echoes 22
News Minneapolis Pride Parade fills streets with rai... (Jun '15) 2 hr Geezer Heimers 25
News Minnesota becomes 12th state to OK gay marriage (May '13) 2 hr Fit2Serve 1,848
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 2 hr GayleWood 35,924
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 4 hr here 11,659
News Feds' transgender guidance provokes fierce back... 12 hr Sheriff Joe 529 756
More from around the web