Gay marriage

Gay marriage

There are 61390 comments on the Los Angeles Times story from Mar 28, 2013, titled Gay marriage. In it, Los Angeles Times reports that:

The U.S. Supreme Court is considering two controversial cases involving whether same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marry: Proposition 8, California's 2008 ban on gay marriage, and the Defense of Marriage Act, which since 1996 has defined marriage for federal purposes as a union between a man and a woman.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Los Angeles Times.

lides

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#4481 Jul 2, 2013
reality wrote:
gay marriage....what's next?
gay divorce?
gay custody?
Let's stop the insanity!
We need to collectively tell Obama and the supreme court to butt the hell out of our personal business!
FED responsibilities should be about defense and infrastructure. Not a hellava lot more than that.
The question of legalizing perverted gay marriages fall into the broad category of decisions which need to be left up to the descretion of each respective state!
That is precisely what the supporters of same sex marriage are doing, telling the state to get out of our business.

As for leaving marriage to the states, that would be what the constitution says in the 10th Amendment. http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/tenth... However, the 14th Amendment requires states to provide all persons within their jurisdiction equal protection of the laws. http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/amend... Such protection can be denied, if and only if doing so serves a compelling state interest. http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/strict_scrutin...

The US Supreme Court has held that fundamental rights may not be a put to a vote. http://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/31... It has also held on 14 Separate occasions that marriage IS a fundamental right. http://www.afer.org/blog/video-14-supreme-cou...

Can you offer a compelling state interest served by limiting the legal protections of marriage to being between a man and a woman, expressly denying same sex couples the right to marry, that would render such a restriction constitutional?

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#4482 Jul 2, 2013
lides wrote:
Brian, you've not made a fundamental case for your position, yet you continue to cry out for a wasteful investigation. Grow up. NOM got dinged by it's publicly available FEC filing form.
The fundamiental case is the leak of NOM's 2008 Form 990 Schedule B listing donors; that information is confidential. Some states have laws requiring disclosure and the use of that money to support partisan candidates is disclosable, but not donations to social welfare organizations.

lides wrote:
I have shown you this, but you don't care to see the truth.
You don't find our tax code complex? I do. But unlawfully disclosing confidential IRS filings is a felony.

lides wrote:
You've linked to several articles which cite IRS forms being leaked by a whistle-blower, which if you had half a brain, you would realize implies they came form within NOM.
Additionally, it has been pointed out to you that Form 990 Schedule B for a political organization, which NOM is, are similarly publicly available.
Right, NOM doesn't endorse party, it endorses social policy. Don't blame them because their tax records and privacy was raped by same sex marriage supporters working for the IRS. The "NOM's skirt was so short" argument won't cut it.

lides wrote:
You seem to be less intelligent than a rock.
Are you, perchance, an Alex Jones follower? That would explain a great deal.
I follow the IG's report and sworn testimony to Congress. Call your Representative and say you want the FBI to investigate.

“=”

Since: Oct 07

Appleton WI

#4483 Jul 2, 2013
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Awww! A funny picture! No coherent rebuttal then. Of course, you're just responding to an answer to an inconsequential question.
Actually, it was more of a general reaction to just about anything you post. I'm not the first person to get the impression that you may be mentally unstable if not BATSH!T CRAZY.
anonymous wrote:
Now, the sensible response WOULD be to ask why a person would make a sweeping statement that being disgruntled is crazy but....
I don't know, why WOULD a person make that statement? Did somebody say that? Personally, I'm assuming that you are both disgruntled AND crazy, but never stated that being disgruntled IS crazy. I see your reading comprehension is ALSO a step or two away from reality.
anonymous wrote:
no reason go go there. People go with what they are familiar with.
Huh? Never mind. I won't "go go there."

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#4484 Jul 2, 2013
Should we tell Brian that the information which would be on the allegedly scandalously leaked "Schedule B" is the exact same information that they are supposed to be releasing publicly as an obligation of their 501c4 tax status?
anonymous

Barberton, OH

#4485 Jul 2, 2013
Tre H wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, it was more of a general reaction to just about anything you post. I'm not the first person to get the impression that you may be mentally unstable if not BATSH!T CRAZY.
<quoted text>
I don't know, why WOULD a person make that statement? Did somebody say that? Personally, I'm assuming that you are both disgruntled AND crazy, but never stated that being disgruntled IS crazy. I see your reading comprehension is ALSO a step or two away from reality.
<quoted text>
Huh? Never mind. I won't "go go there."
Ooohh! Parse bunny! Back to recycling sound bites under a new name, I guess.

Let's try this one. How is reading comprehension related to cute pictures? Let me guess. It's all linked to the secret of crop circles?

lides

“No Headline available”

Defiance, Ohio

#4486 Jul 3, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
The fundamiental case is the leak of NOM's 2008 Form 990 Schedule B listing donors; that information is confidential. Some states have laws requiring disclosure and the use of that money to support partisan candidates is disclosable, but not donations to social welfare organizations.
Of course, NOM is not a social welfare organization, they are a political organization, which their activities prove, and you would realize, were you not a moron.
[QUOTE who=”Brian_G”]You don't find our tax code complex? I do. But unlawfully disclosing confidential IRS filings is a felony.[/QUOTE]
The problem, moron, is that the filings in question are by no means confidential. NOM is a political, not a social welfare organization. Follow the money. You truly are an idiot.
[QUOTE who=”Brian_G”]Right, NOM doesn't endorse party, it endorses social policy. Don't blame them because their tax records and privacy was raped by same sex marriage supporters working for the IRS. The "NOM's skirt was so short" argument won't cut it.[/QUOTE]
Has it’s social policy ever endorsed a Democrat? It’s a political group, and you are a moron if you think otherwise.
[QUOTE who=”Brian_G”]I follow the IG's report and sworn testimony to Congress. Call your Representative and say you want the FBI to investigate.[/QUOTE]
Only if you are an idiot.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#4487 Jul 3, 2013
lides wrote:
Has it’s social policy ever endorsed a Democrat? It’s a political group, and you are a moron if you think otherwise.
The 'Victory Fund' is a political organization. They will endorse anyone that's gay.
http://www.victoryfund.org/home...

lides

“No Headline available”

Defiance, Ohio

#4488 Jul 3, 2013
Wondering wrote:
The 'Victory Fund' is a political organization. They will endorse anyone that's gay.
http://www.victoryfund.org/home...
And you are an idiot, who will endorse anything that is anti-gay, however unconstitutional that may be.

Congratulations, you aren't so terribly bright.

Thanks for reiterating that for all to see. Most would hide their shame.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#4489 Jul 3, 2013
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
And you are an idiot, who will endorse anything that is anti-gay, however unconstitutional that may be.
Congratulations, you aren't so terribly bright.
Thanks for reiterating that for all to see. Most would hide their shame.
I'm against gay marriage being call marriage. After that, I don't care what you and other gays do. In all my years on the internet I've never run into anyone as dumb, or funny, as you. "ToManyLaws"
is pretty close though. You got him beat with your humor.

“Waytogo”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#4490 Jul 3, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm against gay marriage being call marriage. After that, I don't care what you and other gays do. In all my years on the internet I've never run into anyone as dumb, or funny, as you. "ToManyLaws"
is pretty close though. You got him beat with your humor.
Lucky for WE THE PEOPLE religious BS cant be forced on to others..So the bans you theocrats made will soon be over turned by SCOTUS..

Now I hear in Iran you can beat gays and kill them..MAYBE YOU NAZI FASCIST FAR RIGHTERS SHOULD MOVE THERE...

Same sex marriage will be legal nation wide soon..You bigots lost.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#4491 Jul 3, 2013
ToManyLaws wrote:
<quoted text>
Lucky for WE THE PEOPLE religious BS cant be forced on to others..So the bans you theocrats made will soon be over turned by SCOTUS..
Now I hear in Iran you can beat gays and kill them..MAYBE YOU NAZI FASCIST FAR RIGHTERS SHOULD MOVE THERE...
Same sex marriage will be legal nation wide soon..You bigots lost.
If you didn't post most people wouldn't know how stupid you are.
Maybe you didn't finish high school. You were out working so you wouldn't be on welfare like all the people that oppose gay marriage. BWAHAHAHAHA!
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#4492 Jul 3, 2013
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course that's false, if you could read and understand what you read you would know that. OTOH, the Victory Fund only endorses gays or people extremely sympathetic to gays. They would be happy if homosexuality were the only requirement to run for office.
http://www.victoryfund.org/our_story/mission
You be sure to make a donation. We need more people like Barney Frank.

Frank was not in my district, he would never have gotten my vote.

“Waytogo”

Location hidden

#4493 Jul 3, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
If you didn't post most people wouldn't know how stupid you are.
Maybe you didn't finish high school. You were out working so you wouldn't be on welfare like all the people that oppose gay marriage. BWAHAHAHAHA!
I am a self made man. I am now worth over 1 million dollars..Yea not a lot to rich people but doing god for small town USA...Now unless you ant to discuss the issue like an adult why dont you SHUT UP.....

Oh and finished High school on B honor role. Served 8 years in the Army and used GI bill to get certified in all welding types and got associates in business management. HOW ABOUT YOU?
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#4494 Jul 3, 2013
ToManyLaws wrote:
Now unless you ant to discuss the issue like an adult
You don't qualify.

“Waytogo”

Location hidden

#4495 Jul 3, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't qualify.
Ok child........Grow up. if you far righters would discuss an issue instead of stomping your feet and whine like babies we might get somewhere. I get it you don't like same sex people...Fine. hat them,think ther gross. BUT LET THEM HAVE EQUALITY...How hard is that it cost you nothing and doesn't hurt you one bit.

Tell me how does same sex marriage being legal hurt or effect you....Please answer and not some childish BS.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#4496 Jul 3, 2013
ToManyLaws wrote:
instead of stomping your feet and whine like babies we might get somewhere.
Wawa....I'm a guy and I wanna marry my boyfriend, straight people can. Is that what you mean by "stomping your feet and whine"

“Waytogo”

Location hidden

#4497 Jul 3, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Wawa....I'm a guy and I wanna marry my boyfriend, straight people can. Is that what you mean by "stomping your feet and whine"
I am not gay. I only hear you bigots whine...Gay people are fighting for there rights....YOR TRYIG TO KEEP THEM FROM THEM...

“Waytogo”

Location hidden

#4498 Jul 3, 2013
Wondering wont answer my question or discuss like an adult....WONDER WHY? Is it because he has no real reason other then he hates gays..

“=”

Since: Oct 07

Appleton WI

#4499 Jul 3, 2013
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Ooohh! Parse bunny! Back to recycling sound bites under a new name, I guess.
Let's try this one. How is reading comprehension related to cute pictures? Let me guess. It's all linked to the secret of crop circles?
You didn't like my post and have no reply so you make idiotic accusations.

Look below my name, next to the Packer logo... the date says Oct.'07. This is the only name I've used since registering nearly 6 years ago.

The crap about cute pictures, I have no idea what you are talking about or if you actually had a coherent or relevant point.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#4501 Jul 3, 2013
ToManyLaws wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not gay. I only hear you bigots whine...Gay people are fighting for there rights....YOR TRYIG TO KEEP THEM FROM THEM...
I didn't say you were gay.
Did you mean 'their' rights?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roy Moore.....Just Another Hypocrite 13 min GodSmacked 30
The Spectrum Cafe (Dec '07) 15 min GodSmacked 26,367
News Anti-gay married Republican quits after he is c... 49 min Frankie Rizzo 60
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 1 hr Frankie Rizzo 57,918
News NOM's Brian Brown Laments Australian Gay Marria... 1 hr Frankie Rizzo 3
News Lady Gaga named honorary Miss Gay America 2 hr Using the mentall... 24
News Some People Think Starbucks Is Promoting 'Gay A... 2 hr Frankie Rizzo 8
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 6 hr RiccardoFire 14,065
More from around the web