Gay marriage

Gay marriage

There are 59858 comments on the Los Angeles Times story from Mar 28, 2013, titled Gay marriage. In it, Los Angeles Times reports that:

The U.S. Supreme Court is considering two controversial cases involving whether same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marry: Proposition 8, California's 2008 ban on gay marriage, and the Defense of Marriage Act, which since 1996 has defined marriage for federal purposes as a union between a man and a woman.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Los Angeles Times.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#4140 Jun 12, 2013
common sense wrote:
<quoted text>
What a stupid ,bigoted response,thats like saying that guns kill people ,not people.Yes some people use religion for their own purpose but thats just mankinds inherent greed or pride that causes that.Most religions preach the message of love and peace and have provided us with the basis for our legal system with set of benevolent rules such as do not kill,do not steal,etc that has allowed civilization to progress.
&fe ature=youtu.be

“"Not all who wander are lost."”

Since: Mar 10

freshroast666@gmail.com

#4141 Jun 12, 2013
common sense wrote:
<quoted text>
What a stupid ,bigoted response,thats like saying that guns kill people ,not people.Yes some people use religion for their own purpose but thats just mankinds inherent greed or pride that causes that.Most religions preach the message of love and peace and have provided us with the basis for our legal system with set of benevolent rules such as do not kill,do not steal,etc that has allowed civilization to progress.
Mankind's inherent greed or pride causes people to use religion for their own purpose? Really? Most religions manage to convince their followers that non-believers deserve death. You haven't spent much time in your Bible, have you? If it wasn't for Jesus insisting people adhere to the laws of their respective lands, this world would seriously suck. Imagine a world where people believe every word of the Bible is literally true and have the freedom to act on every word. Actually, there was a period in human history when people did just that. It is now known as the Dark Ages. Can you name one thing that has caused more war and death and suffering than religion? Religion wasn't the basis for justice or for our laws. Morality isn't the exclusive domain of religionists. It's necessary for the survival of our species.

“Alley Cat Blues”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#4142 Jun 13, 2013
common sense wrote:
<quoted text>
Lucky for you that they are far too busy eating their cheetos otherwise the attraction challenged would be booted back into their closets faster than you could say gay marriage.
That's one of the lamest comments I've ever heard.
common sense

Glen Waverley, Australia

#4143 Jun 13, 2013
MirthMenace wrote:
<quoted text>Mankind's inherent greed or pride causes people to use religion for their own purpose? Really? Most religions manage to convince their followers that non-believers deserve death. You haven't spent much time in your Bible, have you? If it wasn't for Jesus insisting people adhere to the laws of their respective lands, this world would seriously suck. Imagine a world where people believe every word of the Bible is literally true and have the freedom to act on every word. Actually, there was a period in human history when people did just that. It is now known as the Dark Ages. Can you name one thing that has caused more war and death and suffering than religion? Religion wasn't the basis for justice or for our laws. Morality isn't the exclusive domain of religionists. It's necessary for the survival of our species.
Greed,politics,freedom,pride.I dont see anywhere in the bible where it says to go out and kill non belivers although it does say to turn the other cheek when being attacked.Cant speak for the koran but from what i've heard it preaches a message of peace but to defend the word of god which some people misinterpret such as the extremists .Gays love to see the bad side of religion but fail to see all the good it has done.
The one with a brain

Waterloo, IL

#4144 Jun 13, 2013
Eileen Jael wrote:
<quoted text>
NO, you don't have a legal right. God said, NO, whether the sodomites like it or not. There is a Judgment Day where we all will have to give an account. NO, MEANS NO, and God doesn't care if we are offended and disagree. Jesus Christ, God in the flesh, died for you, me and the whole wide world to save us from ourselves and the tricks of the devil or Satan (Lucifer). Our sin was nailed to the cross; Jesus Christ took that condemnation on himself to SAVE US. How precious is that love! After Good Friday we can say, as we do every year, HE IS RISEN! HE IS RISEN, INDEED! God bless you, gay person. May your eyes be opened to the TRUTH! http://nosamesexmarriage.com/marriage/bible_v...
There is no "God".
common sense

Glen Waverley, Australia

#4145 Jun 13, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =T7xt5LtgsxQXX&feature=you tu.be

Biggest load of crap ive ever heard.

“"Its A Brave New World"”

Since: Sep 12

London U.K.

#4146 Jun 13, 2013
common sense wrote:
<quoted text>
Biggest load of crap ive ever heard.
Then you're simply to stupid to comprehend it! It's perfect logic and without the fairy tale! We can't help it if you lack the logic and critical thought to begin to understand it! Poor little pathetic bigot boy!
steve

United States

#4147 Jun 13, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
Marriage is marriage. If you have the legal right to be a gay couple, you have the legal right to be a gay MARRIED couple. End of debate.
Let's climb out of the 19th century, folks.
bite me perv
Not A Big Deal

Toronto, Canada

#4148 Jun 13, 2013
steve wrote:
<quoted text>
bite me perv
STFU knuckle dragger!
steve

United States

#4149 Jun 13, 2013
MirthMenace wrote:
<quoted text>How would you say that changing the meaning of marriage to include same-sex couples deteriorates its meaning? In what way does legalizing same-sex marriages deteriorate the "moral fortitude of our civilization"?<quoted text>That's simply not true. The rules, such as they are currently, exclude same-sex couples from becoming each other's legal next of kin. That in unequal application of the law.<quoted text>Is the prison scenario the only conflict you can cite? There have been same-sex attractions in prisons for as long as there have been prisons and any form of sexual activity in prison is forbidden and punished when discovered. The only exception is conjugal visits, which apply currently only to certain heterosexual married couples.<quoted text>Why is it a ridiculous concept when two people want to be committed to each other in a spousal partnership? For what exactly, and by whom, was marriage created?<quoted text>Disorder? What are you calling a "disorder", homosexuality? What new scientific evidence have you discovered that contradicts the current psychiatric position that it is not considered a disorder of any kind?
gay marriage destroyed "family" as we know it, one man, one woman! he showed us when he destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah and they were found by scientists who said they were destroyed the exact way God said they would......once your in the pit (buried after death) you can't ask for forgiveness anymore and suffer for eternity....

“Alley Cat Blues”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#4151 Jun 13, 2013
steve wrote:
<quoted text>
gay marriage destroyed "family" as we know it, one man, one woman! he showed us when he destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah and they were found by scientists who said they were destroyed the exact way God said they would......once your in the pit (buried after death) you can't ask for forgiveness anymore and suffer for eternity....
Destroyed "family?" One man, one woman marriage is still going strong and will continue to do so, albeit with a 50% divorce rate, which can't possibly be blamed on the idea of gay marriage.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#4152 Jun 13, 2013
common sense wrote:
<quoted text>
Gay folks see very little of that "love and peace" stuff from religious folks. You can't deny that.

More often, we see fear, irrational judgment, and direct harm to us, and our families.

Location hidden

#4153 Jun 13, 2013
common sense wrote:
<quoted text>
YOu fail to see that in all those slight changes ,the one constant is that its always been a union between a man and a woman as that is what a traditional marriage is ,and what marriage was created for,and anything other than that is not a real marriage in the real sense of the word.
Actually, it was just as often between a man and a child, two children, and a man with multiple women.

Moving away from those "norms" can hardly be called "slight changes.

Location hidden

#4154 Jun 13, 2013
steve wrote:
<quoted text>
gay marriage destroyed "family" as we know it, one man, one woman!.........
Other folk's families have destroyed your marriage?

If so, then your marriage was not worth anything to start.

MY marriage is strong enough to withstand knowing that other people, some that I might not like if I met them, are out there falling in love and getting a marriage license.

You might try marriage counseling, and perhaps get help for your low self esteem issues.

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#4155 Jun 13, 2013
common sense wrote:
What a stupid ,bigoted response,thats like saying that guns kill people ,not people.
I can't tell you how hysterical that is coming from someone who claims to be from a country where the guns laws are as restrictive as they are where you claim to be from.
common sense wrote:
Yes some people use religion for their own purpose but thats just mankinds inherent greed or pride that causes that.Most religions preach the message of love and peace and have provided us with the basis for our legal system with set of benevolent rules such as do not kill,do not steal,etc that has allowed civilization to progress.
Wake up and smell the topic. This is about same sex marriage regulations in the US. Our Constitution forbids Congress from making laws respecting an establishment of religion.
common sense wrote:
YOu fail to see that in all those slight changes ,the one constant is that its always been a union between a man and a woman as that is what a traditional marriage is ,and what marriage was created for,and anything other than that is not a real marriage in the real sense of the word.
Before the 1960's it had always been for couples of the same race. Historical precedent is not a valid argument against marriage equality.
common sense wrote:
Greed,politics,freedom,pride.I dont see anywhere in the bible where it says to go out and kill non belivers although it does say to turn the other cheek when being attacked.Cant speak for the koran but from what i've heard it preaches a message of peace but to defend the word of god which some people misinterpret such as the extremists .Gays love to see the bad side of religion but fail to see all the good it has done.
It also says to forgive even your enemy, and love your neighbor as yourself.

So, which is it, are you a Christian, or a hypocrite?
The Troll Stopper

Blacksburg, VA

#4156 Jun 13, 2013
steve wrote:
<quoted text>
bite me perv
Wow, I'll bet that response of yours must surely have taxed your intellectual capacity to its very limit.
common sense

Melbourne, Australia

#4157 Jun 13, 2013
MirthMenace wrote:
<quoted text>How would you say that changing the meaning of marriage to include same-sex couples deteriorates its meaning? In what way does legalizing same-sex marriages deteriorate the "moral fortitude of our civilization"?<quoted text>That's simply not true. The rules, such as they are currently, exclude same-sex couples from becoming each other's legal next of kin. That in unequal application of the law.<quoted text>Is the prison scenario the only conflict you can cite? There have been same-sex attractions in prisons for as long as there have been prisons and any form of sexual activity in prison is forbidden and punished when discovered. The only exception is conjugal visits, which apply currently only to certain heterosexual married couples.<quoted text>Why is it a ridiculous concept when two people want to be committed to each other in a spousal partnership? For what exactly, and by whom, was marriage created?<quoted text>Disorder? What are you calling a "disorder", homosexuality? What new scientific evidence have you discovered that contradicts the current psychiatric position that it is not considered a disorder of any kind?
IN answer to your post,marriage is essentially a conservative institution whereby homosexuality denotes a certain sense of sexual freedom which in turn deteriorates societies sexual morals.

If you want laws pertaining to next of kin for homosexuals then ask the government to create them,not change the existing laws of marriage and change the whole meaning of the marriage just to suit yourselves.

As to prisons,dont be so naive in assuming that prisoners dont indulge in sexual contact just because its not allowed.

As to finding homosexuality a disorder,you dont need a science degree to know that men and women find each other sexually attracted to each other so that we procreate and have children.Thats the whole purpose of sex,but because we find it so enjoyable weve found ways to do it recreationally without the resulting pregnancy.Homosexuals have those same sexual attractions but for some reason ,their brains tell them that the same sex is attractive and not the opposite sex .I would say its a slight problem with the brains hypothalamus region which contols sexual attraction so yes ,its definately a disorder of some sort.
common sense

Melbourne, Australia

#4158 Jun 13, 2013
-Aldous Huxley- wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you're simply to stupid to comprehend it! It's perfect logic and without the fairy tale! We can't help it if you lack the logic and critical thought to begin to understand it! Poor little pathetic bigot boy!
Your the bigot against religion you idiot.Anything to undermine and destroy religion is what you believe in.Is that why you call yourself aldoux huxley,so you can create the brave new world like it says on your name.Big fan of the illuminati and the new world order i guess.
common sense

Melbourne, Australia

#4159 Jun 13, 2013
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, it was just as often between a man and a child, two children, and a man with multiple women.
Moving away from those "norms" can hardly be called "slight changes.
Still forgetting that the one constant of marriage has always been a man and a woman.

I cant speak for all religions ,but according to the new testament it definately doesnt condone homosexuality but it also says that they shouldnt be mistreated,or ridiculed or treated differently because of it.I disagree with homosexuality and would argue against it being promoted in any way but if i ever saw a homosexual being bullied or beaten ,people that know me would know that i would be the first to jump to thier defence.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#4161 Jun 13, 2013
common sense wrote:
<quoted text>
IN answer to your post,marriage is essentially a conservative institution whereby homosexuality denotes a certain sense of sexual freedom which in turn deteriorates societies sexual morals.
If you want laws pertaining to next of kin for homosexuals then ask the government to create them,not change the existing laws of marriage and change the whole meaning of the marriage just to suit yourselves.
As to prisons,dont be so naive in assuming that prisoners dont indulge in sexual contact just because its not allowed.
As to finding homosexuality a disorder,you dont need a science degree to know that men and women find each other sexually attracted to each other so that we procreate and have children.Thats the whole purpose of sex,but because we find it so enjoyable weve found ways to do it recreationally without the resulting pregnancy.Homosexuals have those same sexual attractions but for some reason ,their brains tell them that the same sex is attractive and not the opposite sex .I would say its a slight problem with the brains hypothalamus region which contols sexual attraction so yes ,its definately a disorder of some sort.
WTF?!?!? in what way does homosexuality denote sexual freedom in any way?
you are well known for posting pure bullshit, but this takes the cake..
why do you have to lie about the people you fear and hate so much?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why I'll be voting 'No' to same-sex marriage, e... 26 min NorCal Native 2,718
News Mormon church backs Utah LGBT anti-discriminati... 29 min piratefighting 3,905
News Ireland gay marriage: Northern Ireland must now... 1 hr jason norris 38
News Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? (Sep '14) 1 hr NorCal Native 5,814
News Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 1 hr Rosa_Winkel 33,401
News Ireland same-sex marriage 2 hr American_Infidel 465
News Flyers handed out a pride parade in Toronto exp... 2 hr Magic Utah Uwear 4
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 6 hr NoahLovesU 21,931
News Rick Santorum Will Fight The Supreme Court If I... 11 hr WeTheSheeple 113
More from around the web