Gay marriage

Gay marriage

There are 61392 comments on the Los Angeles Times story from Mar 28, 2013, titled Gay marriage. In it, Los Angeles Times reports that:

The U.S. Supreme Court is considering two controversial cases involving whether same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marry: Proposition 8, California's 2008 ban on gay marriage, and the Defense of Marriage Act, which since 1996 has defined marriage for federal purposes as a union between a man and a woman.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Los Angeles Times.

anonymous

Absecon, NJ

#39363 Mar 28, 2014
Poof wrote:
<quoted text>The Christian churches made polygamy illegal? How and why? Kody Brown is a Christian and he is a polygamist .
How did the Christian church make me illegal?
Are you stoned?
Tsk! Tsk! I said "churches", not the one Mormon church which is a rogue as far as any other Christian church is concerned. Completely rogue, just like your interpretation of the Bible.

Are you mimicking Christians too? Are you smiling for the camera on Sunday mornings after a night out on the town tooling for boi action? Martin Luther doesn't like his people spending their tithes on fruity drinks and exotic underwear, you know.
anonymous

Absecon, NJ

#39364 Mar 28, 2014
Poof wrote:
<quoted text>Hi Paco,still having trouble with the extra orifice? Just remember Pole A goes into slot B
...and that is why the world generally thinks that gays came packaged with the instructions written in Chinese.
anonymous

Absecon, NJ

#39365 Mar 28, 2014
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Why DON'T you shove Domestic Partnerships up your azz!!!
DP's are great for those over 62 who want to have certain rights, benefits and privileges of being married BUT not be married so that they DON'T lose their survivor benefits from their previous deceased spouses.......that's one of the reasons DP'S AREN'T equal to marriage!!!
...AND when push comes to shove, it IS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!

Your financing your retirement on the backs of single people IS a problem and one that we have to deal with. Appeasement just won't do.
Poof

Madison, WI

#39366 Mar 28, 2014
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
...and that is why the world generally thinks that gays came packaged with the instructions written in Chinese.
Wrong, I can put pole a into any slot/hole that I choose as long as the recipient of my pole is not objecting.
Poof

Madison, WI

#39367 Mar 28, 2014
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Tsk! Tsk! I said "churches", not the one Mormon church which is a rogue as far as any other Christian church is concerned. Completely rogue, just like your interpretation of the Bible.
Are you mimicking Christians too? Are you smiling for the camera on Sunday mornings after a night out on the town tooling for boi action? Martin Luther doesn't like his people spending their tithes on fruity drinks and exotic underwear, you know.
So now you have a problem with Mormons. Why is my interpretation of the Bible wrong and yours correct? Did Jesus send you an Email telling you so? You seem to be pissed at the US, try Iran out, you might like it.

As long as I abide by the laws in the US, my right to worship as I see fit is guaranteed by the US Constitution. Religious laws do not trump civil laws. So again as long as I follow civil laws I am allowed to interpret the Bible .

2 Timothy 3:15-17

King James Version (KJV)

15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#39368 Mar 28, 2014
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
No Sheeples, it was not his choice to not marry the mother, it was the choice of bigots like you. He could have married the mother but you won't allow it. You and your ilk have decided he the mother and their children are not worthy of the same rights you enjoy.
Who is preventing him from marry the mother? All he has to do is get a divorce from his existing wife and he can marry the mother.

If he can't handle that, maybe he should keep his pecker in his pants for awhile.

Tawas City, Michigan

#39369 Mar 28, 2014
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Ridiculous argument. Red herring, logical fallacy. You mad bro?
They want the legal responsibilities but haters like you won't allow it. So you blame them for your ignorance and hate. Priceless.
YOU are the one who told me to "tell it to the judge".

I was simply asking WHAT judge?

If they want the legal responsibilities of marriage as you claim, then why hasn't a single polygamous grouping sued to overturn the bans on polyga-marriage?

Hmmm, seems they obviously DON'T want the legal responsibilities of marriage.

Tawas City, Michigan

#39370 Mar 28, 2014
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
You've been "pointing out polygamy is illegal" for months. But you have never given a valid reason why it should be. Because you don't have one.
I've given you many valid reasons why.

Just because YOU don't accept them as valid doesn't mean they aren't valid.

The proof is in the pudding- polyga-marriage remains illegal in all 50 states, so obviously the reasons ARE valid.

If the reasons weren't valid, then the courts would be overturning the bans, like they're doing with bans on same-sex couples marrying. See, that's how it works when reasons aren't valid- the laws get overturned.

Tawas City, Michigan

#39371 Mar 28, 2014
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
So why haven't they walked out on each other?
Who knows, who really cares? I assume they like having sex with each other. Whatever floats their boat.

Tawas City, Michigan

#39372 Mar 28, 2014
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Polygamy was made illegal because of moral disapproval. Which is not a valid reason as SSM has rightfully proven.
Straight from Reynolds-“Polygamy has always been odious among the northern and western nations of Europe ... and from the earliest history of England polygamy has been treated as an offense against society.”
And yet polyga-marriage remains illegal in all 50 states.

Hmmmm, seems it IS a valid reason after all.

Tawas City, Michigan

#39373 Mar 28, 2014
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Polygamy was made illegal because of moral disapproval. Which is not a valid reason as SSM has rightfully proven. Reynolds has never been repealed and indeed the modern court has cited it.
From Reynolds-“Polygamy has always been odious among the northern and western nations of Europe ... and from the earliest history of England polygamy has been treated as an offense against society.”
That's the only reason for the laws against polygamy the court has ever given. It is not valid anymore. Whatcha gonna do now Ricky?
If it's not valid anymore, then polyga-marriage would be legal.

It's not.

Tawas City, Michigan

#39374 Mar 28, 2014
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
Mentioning polygamy on a gay marriage thread goes over like a fart in church. Gets Poof Daddy especially angry.
>>>>POLYGAMY!!< <<
Actually we enjoy when you morons keep bringing up polygamy & incest whenever the subject of same-sex couples marrying comes up. It helps us demonstrate to the courts the irrationality and obvious animus behind these state bans on same-sex couples marrying.

Tawas City, Michigan

#39375 Mar 28, 2014
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
It made sense quite often at times and places throughout history and should get the same respect as Poof's and Sheeples marriages.
Respect is earned.

Polygamists haven't done anything to earn the respect of most Americans, which is why it remains illegal.

Tawas City, Michigan

#39376 Mar 28, 2014
Kdidds wrote:
Same sex couples should receive all the same rights and benefits as opposite sex marriages through federally recognized Domestic Partnership. If there's a gap between rights afforded to those in DP's and marriages, then there should be a federal law legislating equal rights in DPs as is in marriages. But legislating to redefine "Marriage" is frivolous and a slippery slope.
Feel free to get a DP then; I'll keep my marriage.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#39377 Mar 28, 2014
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
...AND when push comes to shove, it IS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!
Your financing your retirement on the backs of single people IS a problem and one that we have to deal with. Appeasement just won't do.
Are you paying my retirement? or for that matter my bills? I seriously DOUBT you are.....so, stuff your single attitude BullShiet up your azz.......I was single(technically) up until almost 6 years ago..........and I'm NOT buying your crap!!!
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#39378 Mar 28, 2014
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell us how Canadian law sets precedent in the USA, Miss Canada.
It doesn't.

That doesn't change the validity of the expert testimony, or are you intellectually incapable of making that distinction?
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#39379 Mar 28, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet polyga-marriage remains illegal in all 50 states.
Hmmmm, seems it IS a valid reason after all.
Flunkie often misses the obvious.

“Busting Kimare's”

Since: Feb 13

Clitty

#39381 Mar 28, 2014
Kdidds wrote:
Same sex couples should receive all the same rights and benefits as opposite sex marriages through federally recognized Domestic Partnership. If there's a gap between rights afforded to those in DP's and marriages, then there should be a federal law legislating equal rights in DPs as is in marriages. But legislating to redefine "Marriage" is frivolous and a slippery slope.
Thanks, but no thanks. Separate, but equal, has never been equal.

Besides, we already have marriage equality. Why would we settle for less than what we already have?

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#39382 Mar 28, 2014
God did not make even one human gay. God loves his creation, but hates the sin. Marriage is only between a man and a woman. Period.

“ reality, what a concept”

this one

#39383 Mar 28, 2014
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
It made sense quite often at times and places throughout history and should get the same respect as Poof's and Sheeples marriages.
Plural relationships of assorted forms have existed since we have, but where and when they have been accepted, they never had that much of a legal system build around them to protect the rights of the individuals in one. A two person marriage contract is not similarly situated to one with three or more and a person with one marriage contract is not similarly situated to a person with two or more. The more people with an equal share in your contract, the less equal your share to those in smaller contracts and the more contracts you have, the less equal you make yourself to those with fewer and the less equal you make those in your earlier contracts. It is why the Browns sued to keep the state's nose out of his sex life, not for legal recognition of their relationship as a marriage.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... 10 min The Troll Stopper 363
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 12 min The Troll Stopper 25,594
News A look at the judges who will rule on Trump's t... 18 min The Troll Stopper 170
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 25 min The Troll Stopper 5,941
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 3 hr Frankie Rizzo 49,151
News Middle School Gay-Straight Alliance Allowed To ... 7 hr Rev Don Wildmoan 10
News AIDS Walk New York and Gay Men's Health Crisis:... 7 hr Rev Don Wildmoan 9
News More 7 hr Little Cheerleader 15
More from around the web